There are no data that cannot be plotted on a straight line if the axis are chosen correctly.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: Combinintg two bookmark files, whille FF is not running.

SubjectAuthor
* Combinintg two bookmark files, whille FF is not running.micky
+* Combinintg two bookmark files, whille FF is not running.Andy Burns
|`- Combinintg two bookmark files, whille FF is not running.micky
`- Combinintg two bookmark files, whille FF is not running.VanguardLH

1
Combinintg two bookmark files, whille FF is not running.

<phbsjip523i7qvubuhn664ia30mtd1bs82@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1356&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1356

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Combinintg two bookmark files, whille FF is not running.
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 06:12:34 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 10:12 UTC

Is it possible to combine bookmark files from more than one instance of
FF? Without having FF running? It used to be. I read that something
changed but did that mean it's no longer possible?

All the examples on google of combining involved the use of Sync, but in
my case, the given instance of won't start. I guess something is wrong
with some data file it uses.

(Well, as often happens just phrasing the question helps me to answer
it. I could make a new instance with no bookmarks, close FF, and then
copy the bookmark file into it, and hope it's not the bookmark file that
prevented the prior instance from starting.

(But the question in the first two paragraphs still remains. Combining
the files while FF is not running would be a starightforward, versatile
way to do this. Several years ago I read that that was possible, as
well as combining the password file and I think there were a couple
other such files one could combine.)

Re: Combinintg two bookmark files, whille FF is not running.

<kq6qabF9dmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1357&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1357

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 10:26:20 +0000
 by: Andy Burns - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 10:26 UTC

micky wrote:

> Is it possible to combine bookmark files from more than one instance of
> FF? Without having FF running?

In the olden days, bookmarks were saved as a .html file, you cold edit
that with notepad, you could merge two files.

Now the bookmarks are stored in a .sqlite database, not so easy for most
people to merge.

However you can still export bookmarks to .html, you can also import
..html files into bookmarks database. So you could export from both your
firefoxes, then import bookmarks from A into B, and B into A,
effectively giving each of them all the bookmarks ...

Probably wise to backup your profile folders first.

Re: Combinintg two bookmark files, whille FF is not running.

<hg1tjil8ag103pf991qfflo1ognrfojkkf@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1361&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1361

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 12:20:01 -0400
 by: micky - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 16:20 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Sun, 29 Oct 2023 10:26:20 +0000, Andy
Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to combine bookmark files from more than one instance of
>> FF? Without having FF running?
>
>In the olden days, bookmarks were saved as a .html file, you cold edit
>that with notepad, you could merge two files.
>
>Now the bookmarks are stored in a .sqlite database, not so easy for most
>people to merge.
>
>However you can still export bookmarks to .html, you can also import
>.html files into bookmarks database. So you could export from both your
>firefoxes, then import bookmarks from A into B, and B into A,
>effectively giving each of them all the bookmarks ...
>
>Probably wise to backup your profile folders first.

I guess it would be!

Thanks for a perfec answer.

Re: Combinintg two bookmark files, whille FF is not running.

<emvwtwrt6047$.dlg@v.nguard.lh>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1366&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1366

From: V@nguard.LH (VanguardLH)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2023 15:07:06 -0500
Sender: V@nguard.LH
 by: VanguardLH - Sun, 29 Oct 2023 20:07 UTC

micky <NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com> wrote:

> Is it possible to combine bookmark files from more than one instance
> of FF? Without having FF running? It used to be. I read that
> something changed but did that mean it's no longer possible?
>
> All the examples on google of combining involved the use of Sync, but
> in my case, the given instance of won't start. I guess something is
> wrong with some data file it uses.
>
> (Well, as often happens just phrasing the question helps me to answer
> it. I could make a new instance with no bookmarks, close FF, and then
> copy the bookmark file into it, and hope it's not the bookmark file
> that prevented the prior instance from starting.
>
> (But the question in the first two paragraphs still remains.
> Combining the files while FF is not running would be a
> starightforward, versatile way to do this. Several years ago I
> read that that was possible, as well as combining the password file
> and I think there were a couple other such files one could combine.)

To check if you cached the correct login credentials in Firefox to log
into your Firefox account (which is getting renamed to Mozilla Account),
go to:

https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/accounts/

If you cannot login there, you're not using the correct login
credentials, or you have yet to create an account.

The link to your Firefox Sync is only active when you have Firefox
running. Obviously a program that isn't running cannot do anything.

When Firefox is loaded, click on the 3-bar settings menu icon. At the
top of that menu is shown your account. If logged in, it shows your
name. Click on that top entry to see what is the status of your account
inside of Firefox. If you are signed in but Sync does not work, sign
out and sign back in to make sure Firefox can connect to your account.

Also check just what you are including in the Sync function. You may
not have everything selected, or bookmarks are not included. Currently
I only sync on

about:preferences?entrypoint=fxa_app_menu#sync

Currently I only sync on bookmarks, logins, add-ons, and settings which
means I omit history, open tabs, addresses, and cached credit cards.

You don't get the same hierarchy of bookmarks synchronized across all
instances of Firefox. For example, I use Firefox Mobile on my Android
smartphone. The bookmarks sync'ed from my desktop Firefox bookmarks are
shown in the Firefox Mobile under the Desktop Bookmarks group, not at
the root level of bookmarks in Firefox Mobile. You are sync'ing
bookmarks across multiple instance of Firefox, but that is not the same
as merging them. You get access to them, not merging with duplication
removal.

I've used services that attempt to sync bookmarks (at the same tree
level in a hierarchy) across multiple instance of the web browser. All
too often that results in duplicates. They may have duplicate removal,
but too often either that didn't work, or I lost all copies of a
bookmark (duplicates and original). I think I tried EverSync (you need
an account and the add-on), and my bookmarks ended up a mess.

Even Firefox Sync can result in duplicated bookmarks. Best to have 1
instance running to then bring up just 1 other instance to let those
sync. Close the 2nd instance, and load a 3rd to get sync'ed, and close
it. Repeat for as many instances of Firefox you have where you use 1 as
source and update only 1 other at a time. Once sync'ed, you can have
multiple instances loaded at a time, and the sync would be doing
anything until you add another bookmark, but you'll be adding only 1
bookmark (or group of bookmarks) at a time.
Duplication would only occur if the sync'ed bookmarks were at the same
tree level. With Firefox Mobile, the desktop bookmarks show up in a
separate group, so you'd have your mobile bookmarks and desktop
bookmarks separate in Firefox Mobile. I don't have multiple desktop
Firefox sync'ing together to know if Sync attempts to merge bookmarks at
the same tree level, or keep them separate, and Sync is really about
access than about merging.

To do a merge (instead of sync), Andy already mentioned exporting
bookmarks as HTML files from each instance of Firefox. However, it is
then up to you to merge the .html files into one .html file, and remove
duplicates. When you import as HTML, do so into a different folder
(group) in the bookmarks. After the import is successful, delete the
original bookmarks, and move the ones under the temp folder to the root
level (Bookmarks Menu). You don't want to import at the same level as
the current bookmarks; else, you'll get duplicates.

You'll do a lot of work that could be made easier using Firefox Sync, so
try to get that working first.

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Re: Combinintg two bookmark files, whille FF is not running.