"Never make any mistaeks." (Anonymous, in a mail discussion about to a kernel bug report.)

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Behaviour of New Tabs

SubjectAuthor
* Behaviour of New TabsPeter_Müller
+* Behaviour of New TabsAndy Burns
|+* Behaviour of New TabsPeter_Müller
||+- Behaviour of New TabsStan Brown
||`* Behaviour of New Tabsmicky
|| `* Behaviour of New TabsAndy Burns
||  `- Behaviour of New Tabsmicky
|`- Behaviour of New TabsNobody
+- Behaviour of New TabsStan Brown
`* Behaviour of New TabsJörg_Lorenz
 `- Behaviour of New TabsPeter_Müller

1
Behaviour of New Tabs

<kob4taF1d02U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1157&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1157

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Peter Müller)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Behaviour of New Tabs
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 21:18:56 +0200
Firefox/91.0
 by: Peter Müller - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 19:18 UTC

When I click the right mouse button on a link and open a new tab the new
tab is shown and I have to click in the tabs bar to see the page where I
started from. The new behaviour is awfull.

Re: Behaviour of New Tabs

<kob5a0F1f5gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1158&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1158

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Subject: Re: Behaviour of New Tabs
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 20:25:53 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 19:25 UTC

Peter Müller wrote:

> When I click the right mouse button on a link and open a new tab the new
> tab is shown and I have to click in the tabs bar to see the page where I
> started from.

about:config then
browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground = false

> The new behaviour is awfull.

I prefer that

Re: Behaviour of New Tabs

<kob5r4F1j2jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1159&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1159

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Peter Müller)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2023 21:34:49 +0200
 by: Peter Müller - Fri, 6 Oct 2023 19:34 UTC

Andy Burns schrieb:
> Peter Müller wrote:
>
>> When I click the right mouse button on a link and open a new tab the
>> new tab is shown and I have to click in the tabs bar to see the page
>> where I started from.
>
> about:config then
> browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground = false
>
>> The new behaviour is awfull.
>
> I prefer that

I found the solution in the setting few seconds after my posting.
Therefore I canceled my posting.
Befoe I tried browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground=false but it didn't
help.

Re: Behaviour of New Tabs

<MPG.3f8b2ad28b493f199901c5@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1168&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1168

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 09:44:37 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 16:44 UTC

On Fri, 6 Oct 2023 21:34:49 +0200, Peter Müller wrote:

> I found the solution in the setting few seconds after my posting.
> Therefore I canceled my posting.

You have to be pretty quick to cancel at news.individual.net. I don't
know if they have a published time, and I've never contacted them to
ask, but I don't think it's more than a couple of minutes.

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Behaviour of New Tabs

<MPG.3f8b2bfe4aebaad69901c7@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1169&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1169

From: the_stan_brown@fastmail.fm (Stan Brown)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 09:49:39 -0700
 by: Stan Brown - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 16:49 UTC

On Fri, 6 Oct 2023 21:18:56 +0200, Peter Müller wrote:

> When I click the right mouse button on a link and open a new tab the new
> tab is shown and I have to click in the tabs bar to see the page where I
> started from. The new behaviour is awfull.

And if you press and hold Shift while right-clicking ... ?

--
Stan Brown, Tehachapi, California, USA https://BrownMath.com/
Shikata ga nai...

Re: Behaviour of New Tabs

<ufs3at$3vps$1@solani.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1170&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1170

From: hugybear@gmx.net (Jörg Lorenz)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 19:08:45 +0200
 by: Jörg Lorenz - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 17:08 UTC

Am 06.10.23 um 21:18 schrieb Peter Müller:
> When I click the right mouse button on a link and open a new tab the new
> tab is shown and I have to click in the tabs bar to see the page where I
> started from. The new behaviour is awfull.

On all browsers I ever used I switched exactly to this behaviour. It is
intuitive and logical that I want to see the page/tab I open intentionally.

--
Morituri te salutant

Re: Behaviour of New Tabs

<kodlvqFefa3U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1171&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1171

From: invalid@invalid.invalid (Peter Müller)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2023 20:22:39 +0200
 by: Peter Müller - Sat, 7 Oct 2023 18:22 UTC

When I have a page of a newspaper or a news ticker I prefer first
selecting the articles I'm interested. When I'm finished selecting I
read the articles.

Re: Behaviour of New Tabs

<9114iilnp6sb8u6kgr08hepouvlm0occco@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1172&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1172

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Sat, 07 Oct 2023 18:32:56 -0700
 by: Nobody - Sun, 8 Oct 2023 01:32 UTC

On Fri, 6 Oct 2023 20:25:53 +0100, Andy Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk>
wrote:

>Peter Müller wrote:
>
>> When I click the right mouse button on a link and open a new tab the new
>> tab is shown and I have to click in the tabs bar to see the page where I
>> started from.
>
>about:config then
>browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground = false
>
>> The new behaviour is awfull.
>
>I prefer that

I'm having trouble getting my head around the OP's problem here.

With Ffox 118.0.1, that whole *browser.tabs.load...* group set *by
default* seem to generate what the OP wants.

However, as I have <browser.tabs.loadInBackground> (not the setting
invoking *Bookmarks*) changed to *true*, I achieve immediate focus on
the content of a new tab, which is my preference.

One of the OP's original settings must have been non-default.

Re: Behaviour of New Tabs

<tmo8iihjhfce63fdimpjr9r06gu6tllk39@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1194&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1194

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2023 16:35:15 -0400
 by: micky - Mon, 9 Oct 2023 20:35 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Fri, 6 Oct 2023 21:34:49 +0200, Peter
Müller <invalid@invalid.invalid> wrote:

>Andy Burns schrieb:
>> Peter Müller wrote:
>>
>>> When I click the right mouse button on a link and open a new tab the
>>> new tab is shown and I have to click in the tabs bar to see the page
>>> where I started from.

This has the advantage that if there is a list of links, like from a
google search, or a newsletter with a series of articles, you can go
down the list opening all of them and they will be in the order you
opened them. -- If you have it set the other way, you have to click
back to the list after each new tab opens, plus they end up in right to
left order instead of the opposite.

>> about:config then
>> browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground = false
>>
>>> The new behaviour is awfull.
>>
>> I prefer that

But is it not true that when it loads in background, it unloads those
same pages when focus is not on them, and to look at them again, you
have to wait after the tab get s focus while each one loads again? At
least if you have used some percent of memory or more?

>I found the solution in the setting few seconds after my posting.
>Therefore I canceled my posting.
>Befoe I tried browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground=false but it didn't
>help.

Re: Behaviour of New Tabs

<kojls8Fg053U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1199&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1199

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2023 01:57:45 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 00:57 UTC

micky wrote:

> Peter Müller wrote:
>
>> Andy Burns schrieb:
>>
>>> browser.tabs.loadBookmarksInBackground = false

>>> I prefer that
>
> But is it not true that when it loads in background, it unloads those
> same pages when focus is not on them, and to look at them again, you
> have to wait after the tab get s focus while each one loads again? At
> least if you have used some percent of memory or more?

I developed the habit of opening multiple search result tabs in the
background when bandwidth was more scarce, so various pages could be
churning in the background and I could return to them to see what
answers I'd got.

Yes, background tabs nowadays don't get the same attention as foreground
tabs, for good reasons.

Re: Behaviour of New Tabs

<l3h9ii9flkeq2c3opqgpopp2lvhlvink9v@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/computers/article-flat.php?id=1202&group=alt.comp.software.firefox#1202

From: NONONOmisc07@fmguy.com (micky)
Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2023 23:28:30 -0400
 by: micky - Tue, 10 Oct 2023 03:28 UTC

In alt.comp.software.firefox, on Tue, 10 Oct 2023 01:57:45 +0100, Andy
Burns <usenet@andyburns.uk> wrote:

>micky wrote:
>
>> Peter Müller wrote:

>> But is it not true that when it loads in background, it unloads those
>> same pages when focus is not on them, and to look at them again, you
>> have to wait after the tab get s focus while each one loads again? At
>> least if you have used some percent of memory or more?
>
>I developed the habit of opening multiple search result tabs in the
>background when bandwidth was more scarce, so various pages could be
>churning in the background and I could return to them to see what
>answers I'd got.
>
>Yes, background tabs nowadays don't get the same attention as foreground
>tabs, for good reasons.

So if I ever got rid of most of my tabs, OR I got a new laptop bwith
16Gigs or 32Gigs of RAM, is it so that I could change that setting and
once the tab was loaded, it would stay loaded and be right there when I
went to it?>>>

computers / alt.comp.software.firefox / Behaviour of New Tabs