From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: DaFT nonsesn
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:56:59 +0100
 by: Recliner - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 13:56 UTC

On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 15:25:43 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:

>In message <jqsugoFnv91U1@mid.individual.net>, at 12:12:22 on Fri, 14
>Oct 2022, Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> remarked:
>>Hi,
>>
>>Some of you may remember I moaned that the GN trains leaving King's
>>Cross to Cambridge seem to all be 8 carriages so are full and standing
>>in the peaks (and on Sundays, at times, too)
>>
>>I'm hearing a suggestion that DaFT are changing the charging regime for
>>TOCs so GN are looking at making some trains only 4 cars!
>>
>>This is madness!
>>
>>Has anyone heard this?
>
>But I'm a bit surprised they continue to run exclusively (as far as I
>can tell) 8-car from Cambridge to Kings Lynn, because they don't appear
>to be sufficiently loaded.
>
>Covid, and the post-Covid temporary timetables seem to have devastated
>the demand from the Fen Line down to Cambridge.

More WfH?

Re: DaFT nonsesn

<OW4J$BUD$oKmFAjR@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80814&group=uk.railway#80814

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 18:15:47 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 17:15 UTC

In message <m8ok2j1nah2totd4k3lepn8kpkd7578p7h@4ax.com>, at 14:56:59 on
Thu, 25 Apr 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 15:25:43 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <jqsugoFnv91U1@mid.individual.net>, at 12:12:22 on Fri, 14
>>Oct 2022, Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> remarked:
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Some of you may remember I moaned that the GN trains leaving King's
>>>Cross to Cambridge seem to all be 8 carriages so are full and standing
>>>in the peaks (and on Sundays, at times, too)
>>>
>>>I'm hearing a suggestion that DaFT are changing the charging regime for
>>>TOCs so GN are looking at making some trains only 4 cars!
>>>
>>>This is madness!
>>>
>>>Has anyone heard this?
>>
>>But I'm a bit surprised they continue to run exclusively (as far as I
>>can tell) 8-car from Cambridge to Kings Lynn, because they don't appear
>>to be sufficiently loaded.
>>
>>Covid, and the post-Covid temporary timetables seem to have devastated
>>the demand from the Fen Line down to Cambridge.
>
>More WfH?

The problem back in 2022 was they thinned out the timetable so there was
no obvious service for people working in Cambridge who didn't have
flexitime (for example anyone working at the hospital) to arrive other
than ten minutes late or 50 minutes early.
--
Roland Perry

Re: DaFT nonsesn

<l910sgF85icU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80840&group=uk.railway#80840

From: nin@moss-eccardt.com (Rupert Moss-Eccardt)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 07:45:37 +0100
 by: Rupert Moss-Eccardt - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 06:45 UTC

On 25 Apr 2024 14:56, Recliner wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Oct 2022 15:25:43 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <jqsugoFnv91U1@mid.individual.net>, at 12:12:22 on Fri, 14
>>Oct 2022, Rupert Moss-Eccardt <nin@moss-eccardt.com> remarked:
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>Some of you may remember I moaned that the GN trains leaving King's
>>>Cross to Cambridge seem to all be 8 carriages so are full and
standing
>>>in the peaks (and on Sundays, at times, too)
>>>
>>>I'm hearing a suggestion that DaFT are changing the charging regime
for
>>>TOCs so GN are looking at making some trains only 4 cars!
>>>
>>>This is madness!
>>>
>>>Has anyone heard this?
>>
>>But I'm a bit surprised they continue to run exclusively (as far as I
>>can tell) 8-car from Cambridge to Kings Lynn, because they don't
appear
>>to be sufficiently loaded.
>>
>>Covid, and the post-Covid temporary timetables seem to have
devastated
>>the demand from the Fen Line down to Cambridge.
>
> More WfH?

I think, operationally, it is easier to run the 8-cars to Lynn and back
than splitting them (assuming it didn't start as 12) and stabling part
at CBG (or splitting at Ely!). I recall a path which ran North of Ely
and back again just to clear platform space.

Re: DaFT nonsesn

<9JI141yDh+KmFAF$@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80922&group=uk.railway#80922

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 18:45:39 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 17:45 UTC

[two year old thread]

>I think, operationally, it is easier to run the 8-cars to Lynn and back
>than splitting them (assuming it didn't start as 12) and stabling part
>at CBG (or splitting at Ely!). I recall a path which ran North of Ely
>and back again just to clear platform space.

They've not split trains at Ely ever, as far as I can tell. It's always
at Cambridge, and traditionally only 4-cars onward whether it was an
8-car or 12-car from London.

Once they'd upgraded the OHL north of Cambridge to cope with 8-car
trains, then they changed from sending just one 4-car an hour all the
way to Kings Lynn, to sending 8-cars alternately to Ely and Kings Lynn.
Platform 3 at Ely is long enough to cope with 8-car GN trains at the
town end, plus reversing 2-car EMT trains on the Liverpool to Norwich
route at the country end.
--
Roland Perry

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: DaFT nonsesn