I want you to MEMORIZE the collected poems of EDNA ST VINCENT MILLAY ... BACKWARDS!!

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Differing views about OHLE

SubjectAuthor
* Differing views about OHLETweed
+* Re: Differing views about OHLEBob
`* Re: Differing views about OHLEJMB99

Pages:1234567891011121314151617
Re: Differing views about OHLE

<oGdArA0YZAJmFA$H@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80320&group=uk.railway#80320

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Differing views about OHLE
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 19:15:52 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 18:15 UTC

In message <a7d59208c4a93eb503f9ee1f09d5d123@www.novabbs.org>, at
15:35:32 on Sat, 20 Apr 2024, ulf_kutzner <Ulf.Kutzner@web.de> remarked:
>Roland Perry wrote:
>
>> In message <j0vk1j985nab1qie8ue0dp7gqii9pn3jnd@4ax.com>, at 13:41:26
>>on Sat, 13 Apr 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>>I think this may be the key reason why Brits regard OHLE as being
>>>very unreliable. It's not so much that our wires fall
>>>down more often (which may or may not be true), but that pretty much
>>>all the trains stop running when the wires come
>>>down on the GWML or ECML, as there are no parallel electrified
>>>diversion routes.
>>>
>>>The WCML is a bit better, and the third rail network in the south
>>>tends to have multiple electrified routes. In other countries, there
>>>are multiple electrified routes, so trains keep running when the
>>>wires come down, even if the service is reduced, and journey times are longer.
>
>> Not true. I've been marooned in the Netherlands in bad weather, when
>>trees (and sundry bits of station roof etc) have been blown onto the
>>wires, and they've thrown in the towel and just cancelled the lot.jp
>
>>>So OHLE failure doesn't make the headlines that they do here.
>
>> I'm impressed that you are reading the domestic press of dozens of
>>foreign countries and can so confidently say what they do and don't
>>report. Here in the UK we only get reports of foreign railway
>>happenings when there's a wreck with at least a dozen people killed.
>
>We are used to OHLE failures after storms, dozens of them seem
>to occur at least per year in Germany* but press coverage focuses
>on stranded passenger trains run out of aircon and ventilation
>and how passengers feel in such conditions after four hours.
>
>Regards, ULF
>
>*) IIRC, Munich couldn't be reached by rail from any side during
>one or two days about a year ago. Operations resumed between
>main and East station by suburban trains using the tunnel.

Thanks for posting that. I always get the impression Brits looking at
overseas railways have industrial-strength rose-tinted spectacles.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<v01283$3qcmb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80321&group=uk.railway#80321

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 18:41:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:HHIyqyWMUlztkIwyfvMQBUU994g=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 18:41 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <a7d59208c4a93eb503f9ee1f09d5d123@www.novabbs.org>, at
> 15:35:32 on Sat, 20 Apr 2024, ulf_kutzner <Ulf.Kutzner@web.de> remarked:
>> Roland Perry wrote:
>>
>>> In message <j0vk1j985nab1qie8ue0dp7gqii9pn3jnd@4ax.com>, at 13:41:26
>>> on Sat, 13 Apr 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Not true. I've been marooned in the Netherlands in bad weather, when
>>> trees (and sundry bits of station roof etc) have been blown onto the
>>> wires, and they've thrown in the towel and just cancelled the lot.jp

>>> I'm impressed that you are reading the domestic press of dozens of
>>> foreign countries and can so confidently say what they do and don't
>>> report. Here in the UK we only get reports of foreign railway
>>> happenings when there's a wreck with at least a dozen people killed.
>>
>> We are used to OHLE failures after storms, dozens of them seem
>> to occur at least per year in Germany* but press coverage focuses
>> on stranded passenger trains run out of aircon and ventilation
>> and how passengers feel in such conditions after four hours.
>>
>> Regards, ULF
>>
>> *) IIRC, Munich couldn't be reached by rail from any side during
>> one or two days about a year ago. Operations resumed between
>> main and East station by suburban trains using the tunnel.
>
> Thanks for posting that. I always get the impression Brits looking at
> overseas railways have industrial-strength rose-tinted spectacles.

No rose tinted spectacles in respect of German railways at the moment. They
seem to be suffering chronic delays on many long distance services. I
regularly get a tale of woe from a friend who commutes from Brussels to the
Black Forest.

The Swiss have lost patience with them and won’t let delayed DB trains into
Switzerland.

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<0jVUN.77165$Rt2.9309@fx10.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80323&group=uk.railway#80323

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
<v01283$3qcmb$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2024 20:10:36 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sat, 20 Apr 2024 20:10 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <a7d59208c4a93eb503f9ee1f09d5d123@www.novabbs.org>, at
>> 15:35:32 on Sat, 20 Apr 2024, ulf_kutzner <Ulf.Kutzner@web.de> remarked:

>>> We are used to OHLE failures after storms, dozens of them seem
>>> to occur at least per year in Germany* but press coverage focuses
>>> on stranded passenger trains run out of aircon and ventilation
>>> and how passengers feel in such conditions after four hours.
>>>
>>> Regards, ULF
>>>
>>> *) IIRC, Munich couldn't be reached by rail from any side during
>>> one or two days about a year ago. Operations resumed between
>>> main and East station by suburban trains using the tunnel.
>>
>> Thanks for posting that. I always get the impression Brits looking at
>> overseas railways have industrial-strength rose-tinted spectacles.
>
> No rose tinted spectacles in respect of German railways at the moment. They
> seem to be suffering chronic delays on many long distance services. I
> regularly get a tale of woe from a friend who commutes from Brussels to the
> Black Forest.
>
> The Swiss have lost patience with them and won’t let delayed DB trains into
> Switzerland.

Strictly speaking, they won't let any foreign trains continue on to
Switzerland's domestic network past the main border city station. Those
DB/SNCF/ORR/Trenitalia trains traditionally had a dual rule, continuing
their international journey and also filling a slot in the Swiss domestic
timetable.

But so many turn up late, or not all, forcing SBB to deploy its stand-by
trains to maintain the high precision Swiss timetable, that the Swiss have
lost patience. They've now announced that in future they won't let the
neighbours' unreliable trains operate domestic services on the reliable,
punctual Swiss network. Apparently only SNCF punctuality comes close to
Swiss standards, but I'm not sure if its trains will be exempted from the
ban.

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<92d71249e62cde1fe82ba96aedfcf3f7@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80329&group=uk.railway#80329

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 08:34:12 +0000
From: Ulf.Kutzner@web.de (ulf_kutzner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
 by: ulf_kutzner - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 08:34 UTC

Tweed wrote:

> No rose tinted spectacles in respect of German railways at the moment. They
> seem to be suffering chronic delays on many long distance services. I
> regularly get a tale of woe from a friend who commutes from Brussels to the
> Black Forest.

> The Swiss have lost patience with them and won’t let delayed DB trains into
> Switzerland.

Switzerland has enough issues with tunnels causing delays
and cancellations. Swiss trainsets operating from Munich
to Zurich do experience problems with country transitions,
thus causing delays that place the behind a semi-slow train.

Regards, ULF

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<WV5VN.478690$7uxe.360026@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80343&group=uk.railway#80343

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
<uv9198$1p2m4$1@dont-email.me>
<C5URN.45360$lu2.6516@fx15.ams1>
<4b84113d69fdff2720f076175a97cde5@www.novabbs.org>
<09l72jtg9mahfnfg6dr7m8dtffe0satv18@4ax.com>
<5a7f1833ebfc4f3e44d0480dfaef0c58@www.novabbs.org>
<v00r1a$3oq7b$1@dont-email.me>
<67e9d834eb5cac8f8eccbe699177d6ed@www.novabbs.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 10:31:18 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 10:31 UTC

ulf_kutzner <Ulf.Kutzner@web.de> wrote:
> ColinR wrote:

>>> Not here.
>
>> See below

>>> And I bought from Ireland but still UK is importing from Norway.

>>> It's different even from wild Norwegian salmon which might have died out.
>>>
>>> Chile exports young farmed salmon to Norway to be sold after added
>>> farming time.
>>>
>>> Recently, I found Chilean somked salmon in a German supermarket, like
>>> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Stremellachs.jpg
>

>> Norwegian salmon farming - see:
>> https://www.leroyseafood.com/en/
>
> Heard about it.
>
> 92 % of farmed salmon are from Norway, the United Kingdom, Canada, Chile,
> Australia und New Zealand, and some Norwegian farmed salmon immigrated
> from Chile.
> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lachsfarm

‘They take everything, like Vikings’: inside the Icelandic salmon wars

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9fa0aada-2829-42cd-b2bb-1c3a1d9c26ec?shareToken=9fafd07b7f04d5d82d73797893c5fd1f

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<f353a0d37cf121617ba0b06e2f6f7db8@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80344&group=uk.railway#80344

Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:04:53 +0000
From: Ulf.Kutzner@web.de (ulf_kutzner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <uv8lq9$1kvua$4@dont-email.me> <ktmf1j1minmvf9d5bk519blopb3cq84afh@4ax.com> <uv8n7i$1kvua$5@dont-email.me> <MLy*rRFHz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <76SRN.92707$au2.81576@fx12.ams1> <uv8qse$1ng26$3@dont-email.me> <M9TRN.42102$hv2.31229@fx14.ams1> <uv8vae$1ojak$1@dont-email.me> <HwTRN.65828$Rt2.11263@fx10.ams1> <uv90ti$1ov11$1@dont-email.me> <uv9198$1p2m4$1@dont-email.me> <C5URN.45360$lu2.6516@fx15.ams1> <4b84113d69fdff2720f076175a97cde5@www.novabbs.org> <09l72jtg9mahfnfg6dr7m8dtffe0satv18@4ax.com> <5a7f1833ebfc4f3e44d0480dfaef0c58@www.novabbs.org> <v00r1a$3oq7b$1@dont-email.me> <67e9d834eb5cac8f8eccbe699177d6ed@www.novabbs.org> <WV5VN.478690$7uxe.360026@fx09.ams1>
 by: ulf_kutzner - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:04 UTC

Recliner wrote:

> ulf_kutzner <Ulf.Kutzner@web.de> wrote:
>> ColinR wrote:

>>> See below

>>> Norwegian salmon farming - see:
>>> https://www.leroyseafood.com/en/
>>
>> Heard about it.
>>
>> 92 % of farmed salmon are from Norway, the United Kingdom, Canada, Chile,
>> Australia und New Zealand, and some Norwegian farmed salmon immigrated
>> from Chile.
>> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lachsfarm
>>

> ‘They take everything

By the way, I suggest Australia and New Zealand also farm Atlantic salmon?

And Narvik - Xi'an salmon trains did not start.
https://www.fishfarmermagazine.com/2020/02/10/russia-slams-brakes-on-salmon-train-project/

Regards, ULF

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<ar0a2jplhspn8itv71dtqo7fbeno9v61me@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80348&group=uk.railway#80348

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <RGrRN.41089$hv2.30949@fx14.ams1> <uv5hul$rc3c$1@dont-email.me> <U1sRN.91189$au2.53687@fx12.ams1> <uv6amd$11hde$1@dont-email.me> <uv6luh$14bd9$1@dont-email.me> <uv842c$1ipk3$1@dont-email.me> <uv8m54$1mk62$1@dont-email.me> <uv9cme$1rn18$1@dont-email.me> <uv9f14$1s7j5$1@dont-email.me> <uvb1lm$2a0ps$1@dont-email.me> <uvb57b$2b4jo$1@dont-email.me> <uvc34o$2hhl9$1@dont-email.me> <7bb3a007625fc0c173addab672180970@www.novabbs.org> <v00plh$3ok28$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 13:16:12 +0100
 by: Recliner - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 12:16 UTC

On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 16:14:41 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

>On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 15:21:41 +0000
>Ulf.Kutzner@web.de (ulf_kutzner) wrote:
>>Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

>>> There is no process that is close to being practical for generating
>>> kerosene other getting it from crude oil. Sofa boy probably wishes it would
>>> be otherwise so can assuage his guilt about his gigantic carbon bootprint
>>from
>>> flying every month but physics says otherwise.
>>
>>Sun-to-liquid is possible, and there is a demonstrator plant IIRC.
>>https://www.sun-to-liquid.eu/
>>
>>But it's not cheap.
>
>A lot of sun for not much liquid. No one is claiming it can't be done,

That's exactly what you did: "Technology isn't the issue, physics is".

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<8v0a2jp4mn2s73vbvq7ju7qcqi2474chr5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80349&group=uk.railway#80349

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <uv8vae$1ojak$1@dont-email.me> <HwTRN.65828$Rt2.11263@fx10.ams1> <uv90ti$1ov11$1@dont-email.me> <uv9198$1p2m4$1@dont-email.me> <C5URN.45360$lu2.6516@fx15.ams1> <4b84113d69fdff2720f076175a97cde5@www.novabbs.org> <09l72jtg9mahfnfg6dr7m8dtffe0satv18@4ax.com> <5a7f1833ebfc4f3e44d0480dfaef0c58@www.novabbs.org> <v00r1a$3oq7b$1@dont-email.me> <67e9d834eb5cac8f8eccbe699177d6ed@www.novabbs.org> <WV5VN.478690$7uxe.360026@fx09.ams1> <f353a0d37cf121617ba0b06e2f6f7db8@www.novabbs.org>
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2024 13:18:37 +0100
 by: Recliner - Sun, 21 Apr 2024 12:18 UTC

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 11:04:53 +0000, Ulf.Kutzner@web.de (ulf_kutzner) wrote:

>Recliner wrote:
>
>> ulf_kutzner <Ulf.Kutzner@web.de> wrote:

>>> Heard about it.
>>>
>>> 92 % of farmed salmon are from Norway, the United Kingdom, Canada, Chile,
>>> Australia und New Zealand, and some Norwegian farmed salmon immigrated
>>> from Chile.
>>> https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lachsfarm
>>>

>> ‘They take everything
>
>By the way, I suggest Australia and New Zealand also farm Atlantic salmon?

Yes:
https://goodfishbadfish.com.au/fish/atlantic-salmon/

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<v05291$qdrq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80384&group=uk.railway#80384

From: bob@domain.com (Bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 09:06:09 +0200
 by: Bob - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 07:06 UTC

On 20.04.2024 22:10, Recliner wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <a7d59208c4a93eb503f9ee1f09d5d123@www.novabbs.org>, at
>>> 15:35:32 on Sat, 20 Apr 2024, ulf_kutzner <Ulf.Kutzner@web.de> remarked:

>>> Thanks for posting that. I always get the impression Brits looking at
>>> overseas railways have industrial-strength rose-tinted spectacles.
>>
>> No rose tinted spectacles in respect of German railways at the moment. They
>> seem to be suffering chronic delays on many long distance services. I
>> regularly get a tale of woe from a friend who commutes from Brussels to the
>> Black Forest.
>>
>> The Swiss have lost patience with them and won’t let delayed DB trains into
>> Switzerland.
>
> Strictly speaking, they won't let any foreign trains continue on to
> Switzerland's domestic network past the main border city station. Those
> DB/SNCF/ORR/Trenitalia trains traditionally had a dual rule, continuing
> their international journey and also filling a slot in the Swiss domestic
> timetable.
>
> But so many turn up late, or not all, forcing SBB to deploy its stand-by
> trains to maintain the high precision Swiss timetable, that the Swiss have
> lost patience. They've now announced that in future they won't let the
> neighbours' unreliable trains operate domestic services on the reliable,
> punctual Swiss network. Apparently only SNCF punctuality comes close to
> Swiss standards, but I'm not sure if its trains will be exempted from the
> ban.

Click here to read the complete article
Re: Differing views about OHLE

<v053vq$r45u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80390&group=uk.railway#80390

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 07:35:22 -0000 (UTC)
References: <RGrRN.41089$hv2.30949@fx14.ams1> <uv5hul$rc3c$1@dont-email.me> <U1sRN.91189$au2.53687@fx12.ams1> <uv6amd$11hde$1@dont-email.me> <uv6luh$14bd9$1@dont-email.me> <uv842c$1ipk3$1@dont-email.me> <uv8m54$1mk62$1@dont-email.me> <uv9cme$1rn18$1@dont-email.me> <uv9f14$1s7j5$1@dont-email.me> <uvb1lm$2a0ps$1@dont-email.me> <uvb57b$2b4jo$1@dont-email.me> <uvc34o$2hhl9$1@dont-email.me> <7bb3a007625fc0c173addab672180970@www.novabbs.org> <v00plh$3ok28$1@dont-email.me>
<ar0a2jplhspn8itv71dtqo7fbeno9v61me@4ax.com>
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 07:35 UTC

On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 13:16:12 +0100
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 16:14:41 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 15:21:41 +0000
>>Ulf.Kutzner@web.de (ulf_kutzner) wrote:

>>>from
>>>
>>>Sun-to-liquid is possible, and there is a demonstrator plant IIRC.
>>>https://www.sun-to-liquid.eu/
>>>
>>>But it's not cheap.
>>
>>A lot of sun for not much liquid. No one is claiming it can't be done,
>
>That's exactly what you did: "Technology isn't the issue, physics is".

I'm not sure what you're not understanding - the physics is the sheer amount
of energy you have to put in to create hydrocarbon fuels from raw materials.
Its completely non feasible for any large scale manufcturing whether its all
done in a chemical plant from CO2 or partly done via growing plants. There
isn't enough electricity for the former or enough land for the latter.

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<O4qVN.77175$lu2.59991@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80401&group=uk.railway#80401

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 09:28:14 GMT
 by: Recliner - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 09:28 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 13:16:12 +0100
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 20 Apr 2024 16:14:41 -0000 (UTC), Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:

>>> A lot of sun for not much liquid. No one is claiming it can't be done,
>>
>> That's exactly what you did: "Technology isn't the issue, physics is".
>
> I'm not sure what you're not understanding - the physics is the sheer amount
> of energy you have to put in to create hydrocarbon fuels from raw materials.
> Its completely non feasible for any large scale manufcturing whether its all
> done in a chemical plant from CO2 or partly done via growing plants. There
> isn't enough electricity for the former or enough land for the latter.

How do you know how much green electricity will be available?

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<v05ejd$tci8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80414&group=uk.railway#80414

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 10:36:29 -0000 (UTC)
<uvb57b$2b4jo$1@dont-email.me>
<uvc34o$2hhl9$1@dont-email.me>
<7bb3a007625fc0c173addab672180970@www.novabbs.org>
<v00plh$3ok28$1@dont-email.me>
<ar0a2jplhspn8itv71dtqo7fbeno9v61me@4ax.com>
<v053vq$r45u$1@dont-email.me>
<O4qVN.77175$lu2.59991@fx15.ams1>
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 10:36 UTC

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 09:28:14 GMT
Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 21 Apr 2024 13:16:12 +0100
>> I'm not sure what you're not understanding - the physics is the sheer amount
>> of energy you have to put in to create hydrocarbon fuels from raw materials.
>> Its completely non feasible for any large scale manufcturing whether its all
>> done in a chemical plant from CO2 or partly done via growing plants. There
>> isn't enough electricity for the former or enough land for the latter.
>>

>How do you know how much green electricity will be available?

There'll never be a big enough installed base to generate the fuel used
by all the aircraft taking off from the UK even if it didn't have to provide
power for everything else including ever increasing EVs.

Did you miss the post where I showed it would take the output of a large
power station to create the fuel for about 10 777 aircraft alone. Good luck
scaling that up to fuel all of them never mind using windmills and solar
panels.

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<mpmc2jp3o279amm866hiemvan6jf3lno8q@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80427&group=uk.railway#80427

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <uv2ng6$2iqf$1@dont-email.me> <uv2p9h$2uq9$1@dont-email.me> <BiNKiQvrESFmFAYh@perry.uk> <uv3lku$9mdi$1@dont-email.me> <ANU65mRAoCGmFACE@perry.uk> <uvc6jn$2i5e8$1@dont-email.me> <j0vk1j985nab1qie8ue0dp7gqii9pn3jnd@4ax.com> <NlK5Tx5$gQHmFApX@perry.uk> <a7d59208c4a93eb503f9ee1f09d5d123@www.novabbs.org> <oGdArA0YZAJmFA$H@perry.uk> <v01283$3qcmb$1@dont-email.me> <0jVUN.77165$Rt2.9309@fx10.ams1> <v05291$qdrq$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 13:43:02 +0100
 by: Recliner - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 12:43 UTC

<38bbd18bb34095a40f8898d286f659b4@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80430&group=uk.railway#80430

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 13:07:45 +0000
From: Ulf.Kutzner@web.de (ulf_kutzner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <uv2ng6$2iqf$1@dont-email.me> <uv2p9h$2uq9$1@dont-email.me> <BiNKiQvrESFmFAYh@perry.uk> <uv3lku$9mdi$1@dont-email.me> <ANU65mRAoCGmFACE@perry.uk> <uvc6jn$2i5e8$1@dont-email.me> <j0vk1j985nab1qie8ue0dp7gqii9pn3jnd@4ax.com> <NlK5Tx5$gQHmFApX@perry.uk> <a7d59208c4a93eb503f9ee1f09d5d123@www.novabbs.org> <oGdArA0YZAJmFA$H@perry.uk> <v01283$3qcmb$1@dont-email.me> <0jVUN.77165$Rt2.9309@fx10.ams1> <v05291$qdrq$1@dont-email.me> <mpmc2jp3o279amm866hiemvan6jf3lno8q@4ax.com>
 by: ulf_kutzner - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 13:07 UTC

Recliner wrote:

> On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 09:06:09 +0200, Bob <bob@domain.com> wrote:

>>> Strictly speaking, they won't let any foreign trains continue on to
>>> Switzerland's domestic network past the main border city station. Those
>>> DB/SNCF/ORR/Trenitalia trains traditionally had a dual rule, continuing
>>> their international journey and also filling a slot in the Swiss domestic
>>> timetable.
>>>
>>> But so many turn up late, or not all, forcing SBB to deploy its stand-by
>>> trains to maintain the high precision Swiss timetable, that the Swiss have
>>> lost patience. They've now announced that in future they won't let the
>>> neighbours' unreliable trains operate domestic services on the reliable,
>>> punctual Swiss network. Apparently only SNCF punctuality comes close to
>>> Swiss standards, but I'm not sure if its trains will be exempted from the
>>> ban.
>>
>>There seems to be a bit of inconsisntency with how this "ban" is being
>>applied. Zürich is essentially being exempted, as through trains from
>>Zürich to München (via Bregenz), to Stuttgart (via Schaffhausen) and
>>down the Rhine via Basel all still seem to be running as normal,
>>likewise the TGV Lyria services from Zürich to Paris via Basel and
>>Dijon. The most significant change is the curtailment of ICE services
>>that routinely went to Interlaken and occasional Brig via Basel, that no
>>longer run south of Basel, and certain services over the Gotthard to
>>Milano seem to be split at Chiasso. It appears that ÖBB is not on the
>>naughty list.

> Perhaps the main problem is when the foreign trains run on single tracks in the more remote areas?

This concerns all countries, as far as we look at the EC Munich <-> Zürich.

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<v060jb$11an5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80454&group=uk.railway#80454

From: bob@domain.com (Bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 17:43:39 +0200
 by: Bob - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 15:43 UTC

On 22.04.2024 15:07, ulf_kutzner wrote:
> Recliner wrote:

>>> There seems to be a bit of inconsisntency with how this "ban" is
>>> being applied. Zürich is essentially being exempted, as through
>>> trains from Zürich to München (via Bregenz), to Stuttgart (via
>>> Schaffhausen) and down the Rhine via Basel all still seem to be
>>> running as normal, likewise the TGV Lyria services from Zürich to
>>> Paris via Basel and Dijon. The most significant change is the
>>> curtailment of ICE services that routinely went to Interlaken and
>>> occasional Brig via Basel, that no longer run south of Basel, and
>>> certain services over the Gotthard to Milano seem to be split at
>>> Chiasso. It appears that ÖBB is not on the naughty list.
>
>> Perhaps the main problem is when the foreign trains run on single
>> tracks in the more remote areas?
>
> This concerns all countries, as far as we look at the EC Munich <-> Zürich.

Those are all still running through, and my understaning is they are not
intended to be withdrawn as through services.

Robin

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<2b3f6362dc792848ea58989de3ad1eb0@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80456&group=uk.railway#80456

Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:00:27 +0000
From: Ulf.Kutzner@web.de (ulf_kutzner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <uv2ng6$2iqf$1@dont-email.me> <uv2p9h$2uq9$1@dont-email.me> <BiNKiQvrESFmFAYh@perry.uk> <uv3lku$9mdi$1@dont-email.me> <ANU65mRAoCGmFACE@perry.uk> <uvc6jn$2i5e8$1@dont-email.me> <j0vk1j985nab1qie8ue0dp7gqii9pn3jnd@4ax.com> <NlK5Tx5$gQHmFApX@perry.uk> <a7d59208c4a93eb503f9ee1f09d5d123@www.novabbs.org> <oGdArA0YZAJmFA$H@perry.uk> <v01283$3qcmb$1@dont-email.me> <0jVUN.77165$Rt2.9309@fx10.ams1> <v05291$qdrq$1@dont-email.me> <mpmc2jp3o279amm866hiemvan6jf3lno8q@4ax.com> <38bbd18bb34095a40f8898d286f659b4@www.novabbs.org> <v060jb$11an5$1@dont-email.me>
 by: ulf_kutzner - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:00 UTC

Bob wrote:

> On 22.04.2024 15:07, ulf_kutzner wrote:
>> Recliner wrote:

>>> Perhaps the main problem is when the foreign trains run on single
>>> tracks in the more remote areas?
>>
>> This concerns all countries, as far as we look at the EC Munich <-> Zürich.

> Those are all still running through, and my understaning is they are not
> intended to be withdrawn as through services.

To be cut to München <-> St. Gallen from December:
https://www.dmm.travel/nc/news/wegen-dauerverspaetung-ec-muenchen-zuerich-wird-eingekuerzt

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<v06hk2$155cq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80470&group=uk.railway#80470

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 20:34:10 -0000 (UTC)
<uv5hul$rc3c$1@dont-email.me>
<U1sRN.91189$au2.53687@fx12.ams1>
<uv6amd$11hde$1@dont-email.me>
<uv6luh$14bd9$1@dont-email.me>
<uv842c$1ipk3$1@dont-email.me>
<uv8m54$1mk62$1@dont-email.me>
<uv9cme$1rn18$1@dont-email.me>
<uv9f14$1s7j5$1@dont-email.me>
<uvb1lm$2a0ps$1@dont-email.me>
<uvb57b$2b4jo$1@dont-email.me>
<uvc34o$2hhl9$1@dont-email.me>
<uvccvk$2jk18$1@dont-email.me>
<a111798f9b257d06b580ccf1bd1b93bb@www.novabbs.org>
sha1:/AtUFJADhAGofnJoRcdsMb1RRRE=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 20:34 UTC

ulf_kutzner <Ulf.Kutzner@web.de> wrote:
> Sam Wilson wrote:
>
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:

>>> There is no process that is close to being practical for generating
>>> kerosene other getting it from crude oil. Sofa boy probably wishes it would
>>> be otherwise so can assuage his guilt about his gigantic carbon bootprint from
>>> flying every month but physics says otherwise.
>
>> By the same token there are no processes for generating it that start with
>> CO2 and H2O, which is what they would have to be for the input energy to be
>> the same as the output.
>
> Hm.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviation_biofuel#Future_production_routes

Thank you. Someone else corrected me in another part of the thread. It
doesn’t look like it will be a commercial operation for some time yet.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<3e9cfc9b9a773a4eeb8cf763a2734a4f@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80748&group=uk.railway#80748

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 07:49:31 +0000
From: Ulf.Kutzner@web.de (ulf_kutzner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
 by: ulf_kutzner - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 07:49 UTC

Recliner wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 12:06:19 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:

>>In message <uv2p9h$2uq9$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:04:17 on Tue, 9 Apr
>>2024, Bob <bob@domain.com> remarked:
>>>
>>>The advantages are that it exists at all,
>>
>>By why not continue to use the existing motive power? It's greenwash
>>that retiring a few diesel locos will make the slightest difference to
>>overall carbon footprint or air pollution.

> Nobody is prematurely retiring any diesel engines. In fact, it's class 90 electrics that are being prematurely retired
> by DBC.

Any buyers?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_90#DB_Cargo_UK

Regards, ULF

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<LGpWN.3$SP53.0@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80753&group=uk.railway#80753

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 09:49:31 GMT
 by: Recliner - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 09:49 UTC

ulf_kutzner <Ulf.Kutzner@web.de> wrote:
> Recliner wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 9 Apr 2024 12:06:19 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>
>>> In message <uv2p9h$2uq9$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:04:17 on Tue, 9 Apr
>>> 2024, Bob <bob@domain.com> remarked:

>>> By why not continue to use the existing motive power? It's greenwash
>>> that retiring a few diesel locos will make the slightest difference to
>>> overall carbon footprint or air pollution.
>
>> Nobody is prematurely retiring any diesel engines. In fact, it's class
>> 90 electrics that are being prematurely retired
>> by DBC.
>
> Any buyers?
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_90#DB_Cargo_UK

Some, at least, have gone for scrap. Same with the class 91s.

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<15451dc8cc30ada4ba0143a9b1a1d6c9@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80761&group=uk.railway#80761

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 10:09:57 +0000
From: Ulf.Kutzner@web.de (ulf_kutzner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
 by: ulf_kutzner - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 10:09 UTC

Recliner wrote:

> ulf_kutzner <Ulf.Kutzner@web.de> wrote:
>> Recliner wrote:

>>> Nobody is prematurely retiring any diesel engines. In fact, it's class
>>> 90 electrics that are being prematurely retired
>>> by DBC.
>>
>> Any buyers?
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_90#DB_Cargo_UK
>>

> Some, at least, have gone for scrap. Same with the class 91s.

91132, ex-91023, involved in two major accidents.
Any more?

Regards, ULF

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<CGqWN.2$u%Uf.1@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80778&group=uk.railway#80778

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 10:57:38 GMT
 by: Recliner - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 10:57 UTC

ulf_kutzner <Ulf.Kutzner@web.de> wrote:
> Recliner wrote:
>
>> ulf_kutzner <Ulf.Kutzner@web.de> wrote:

>>> Any buyers?
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_90#DB_Cargo_UK
>>>

>> Some, at least, have gone for scrap. Same with the class 91s.
>
> 91132, ex-91023, involved in two major accidents.

In which it wasn't damaged.

> Any more?

91102, 91103, 91104, 91108, 91112, 91113, 91115, 91122, 91125, 91126,
91128, 91129.

Many more are stored, and likely to be scrapped.

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<024cd1300e2df6bfa0fb65833b49f364@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80784&group=uk.railway#80784

Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 11:33:34 +0000
From: Ulf.Kutzner@web.de (ulf_kutzner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
 by: ulf_kutzner - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 11:33 UTC

Recliner wrote:

> ulf_kutzner <Ulf.Kutzner@web.de> wrote:
>> Recliner wrote:

>>> Some, at least, have gone for scrap. Same with the class 91s.
>>
>> 91132, ex-91023, involved in two major accidents.

> In which it wasn't damaged.

>> Any more?

> 91102, 91103, 91104, 91108, 91112, 91113, 91115, 91122, 91125, 91126,
> 91128, 91129.

> Many more are stored, and likely to be scrapped.

The Balkans wouldn't take them or class 90?

Regards, ULF

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<gdlk2j9p6r5nf36q47mnpvbu11jt9d8kia@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80793&group=uk.railway#80793

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2024 14:08:56 +0100
 by: Recliner - Thu, 25 Apr 2024 13:08 UTC

On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 11:33:34 +0000, Ulf.Kutzner@web.de (ulf_kutzner) wrote:

>Recliner wrote:
>
>> ulf_kutzner <Ulf.Kutzner@web.de> wrote:

>>> 91132, ex-91023, involved in two major accidents.
>
>> In which it wasn't damaged.
>
>>> Any more?
>
>> 91102, 91103, 91104, 91108, 91112, 91113, 91115, 91122, 91125, 91126,
>> 91128, 91129.
>
>> Many more are stored, and likely to be scrapped.
>
>The Balkans wouldn't take them or class 90?

The 91s probably aren't very attractive to them. They mainly want freight locos, not high speed passenger locos.

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<v0m2gu$168no$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81010&group=uk.railway#81010

From: bevanprice666@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 18:54:37 +0100
 by: Bevan Price - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 17:54 UTC

On 25/04/2024 14:08, Recliner wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Apr 2024 11:33:34 +0000, Ulf.Kutzner@web.de (ulf_kutzner) wrote:
>
>> Recliner wrote:

>>> In which it wasn't damaged.

>>> 91102, 91103, 91104, 91108, 91112, 91113, 91115, 91122, 91125, 91126,
>>> 91128, 91129.
>>
>>> Many more are stored, and likely to be scrapped.
>>
>> The Balkans wouldn't take them or class 90?
>
> The 91s probably aren't very attractive to them. They mainly want freight locos, not high speed passenger locos.

90050 caught fire several years ago, and I think that not much more than
an empty shell remains. No others have been scrapped - yet - but all
the DB 90s are in store - some for many years and may never work again;
some have recently been offered for sale. Freightliner is the major
operator of the surviving Class 90s - all are used on freight duties.

Two locos (90001/02) are with Locomotive Services Ltd, mainly for use on
passenger charter services.

Re: Differing views about OHLE

<ua2Bcad+J2LmFAPW@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=81033&group=uk.railway#81033

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 10:03:58 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 09:03 UTC

In message <cb8TN.60769$lu2.10547@fx15.ams1>, at 11:28:08 on Mon, 15 Apr
2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <j0vk1j985nab1qie8ue0dp7gqii9pn3jnd@4ax.com>, at 13:41:26 on

>>> I think this may be the key reason why Brits regard OHLE as being very
>>> unreliable. It's not so much that our wires fall
>>> down more often (which may or may not be true), but that pretty much
>>> all the trains stop running when the wires come
>>> down on the GWML or ECML, as there are no parallel electrified
>>> diversion routes.
>>>
>>> The WCML is a bit better, and the third rail network in the south tends
>>> to have multiple electrified routes. In other countries, there are
>>> multiple electrified routes, so trains keep running when the wires come
>>> down, even if the service is reduced, and journey times are longer.
>>
>> Not true. I've been marooned in the Netherlands in bad weather, when
>> trees (and sundry bits of station roof etc) have been blown onto the
>> wires, and they've thrown in the towel and just cancelled the lot.jp
>
>That sounds like a storm bad enough that it would have closed the railway
>anyway,

Temporarily yes, while you get someone to remove the bit of roof

>regardless of how the trains were powered. So it's nothing to do
>with OHLE.

But repairing the damage OHL takes much longer than that.

>But I've been on trains on the Continent that were diverted for various
>reasons, and they were able to take secondary routes that were also
>electrified, but probably wouldn't have been here.
>
>>> So OHLE failure doesn't make the headlines that they do here.
>>
>> I'm impressed that you are reading the domestic press of dozens of
>> foreign countries and can so confidently say what they do and don't
>> report. Here in the UK we only get reports of foreign railway happenings
>> when there's a wreck with at least a dozen people killed.
>
>Unlike you, I read the railway press and often travel on Continental
>trains. When did you last do so?

Unlike you I read a lot of general press, which is what matters when
discussing the public's perception of the reliability of one nation's
railway system compared to others.

I've lost count of the number of continental trains I've travelled on,
because to me they are just a way of commuting, so take in everything
from TGVs to the local Metro.

Unless I've got the wrong end of the stick, you just sporadically
vacation on mainly the posher ones.
--
Roland Perry