From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: VOIP (Digital Voice) query 2
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 21:03:24 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 20:03 UTC

I understand there is a 'raging debate' whether VOIP phones are better
than DECT phones. AIUI, the former work using the home Wi-Fi network
and the latter have their own radio link. Does either offer
advantages?

Re: VOIP (Digital Voice) query 2

<a7qi2jhpvp670sabetqd2o3ggodo3p29qt@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80722&group=uk.railway#80722

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: VOIP (Digital Voice) query 2
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 21:18:31 +0100
 by: Scott - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 20:18 UTC

On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 21:03:24 +0100, Scott
<newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>I understand there is a 'raging debate' whether VOIP phones are better
>than DECT phones. AIUI, the former work using the home Wi-Fi network
>and the latter have their own radio link. Does either offer
>advantages?

SORRY FOLKS, this was sent to the wrong group.

Re: VOIP (Digital Voice) query 2

<7jjUCn+vjXKmFAWo@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80729&group=uk.railway#80729

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 22:26:07 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 21:26 UTC

In message <a7qi2jhpvp670sabetqd2o3ggodo3p29qt@4ax.com>, at 21:18:31 on
Wed, 24 Apr 2024, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> remarked:
>On Wed, 24 Apr 2024 21:03:24 +0100, Scott
><newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>I understand there is a 'raging debate' whether VOIP phones are better
>>than DECT phones. AIUI, the former work using the home Wi-Fi network
>>and the latter have their own radio link. Does either offer
>>advantages?
>
>SORRY FOLKS, this was sent to the wrong group.

It's still an interesting question, and my feeling is that a house with
wifi extender/repeaters is likely to provide better coverage than a sole
DECT base. Might also work in the field with public wifi (incl stations
and trains).

I used to have a dedicated Skype phone that connected via wifi, but it
got obsoleted because they updated the server platform and the built-in
firmware wasn't upgradeable.
--
Roland Perry

aus+uk / uk.railway / VOIP (Digital Voice) query 2