Yow! Are we wet yet?

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: OT: P&O Ferries still struggling, two years later

SubjectAuthor
* OT: P&O Ferries still struggling, two years laterRecliner
`* Re: OT: P&O Ferries still struggling, two years laterTweed
 +- Re: OT: P&O Ferries still struggling, two years laterCoffee
 +* Re: OT: P&O Ferries still struggling, two years laterRecliner
 |`- Re: OT: P&O Ferries still struggling, two years laterKen W
 `- Re: OT: P&O Ferries still struggling, two years laterulf_kutzner

1
OT: P&O Ferries still struggling, two years later

<PwvQN.444500$7uxe.395889@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79313&group=uk.railway#79313

Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: OT: P&O Ferries still struggling, two years later
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 11:34:07 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 11:34 UTC

Two years after mass sackings, inside the fraught world of P&O Ferries

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3e0e00f7-b6bb-4131-9612-a611106acb68?shareToken=49c1fd19d7723b4dc35f86d3f649f147

Re: OT: P&O Ferries still struggling, two years later

<uuu1l8$2p13m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79315&group=uk.railway#79315

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT: P&O Ferries still struggling, two years later
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 11:56:24 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:Bd+q8X/yVK40yDQ/2X5L53pcKnk=
 by: Tweed - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 11:56 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Two years after mass sackings, inside the fraught world of P&O Ferries
>
> https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3e0e00f7-b6bb-4131-9612-a611106acb68?shareToken=49c1fd19d7723b4dc35f86d3f649f147

To bring it slightly back on topic, the Tunnel seems to be providing
vigorous competition. I’m taking a car over for a few days in early May. A
car and 3 passengers worked out a few pounds cheaper than any ferry
offering.

Re: OT: P&O Ferries still struggling, two years later

<uuu3bt$2paen$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79319&group=uk.railway#79319

From: martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 13:25:33 +0100
 by: Coffee - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 12:25 UTC

On 07/04/2024 12:56, Tweed wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Two years after mass sackings, inside the fraught world of P&O Ferries
>>
>> https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3e0e00f7-b6bb-4131-9612-a611106acb68?shareToken=49c1fd19d7723b4dc35f86d3f649f147
>>

> To bring it slightly back on topic, the Tunnel seems to be providing
> vigorous competition. I’m taking a car over for a few days in early May. A
> car and 3 passengers worked out a few pounds cheaper than any ferry
> offering.

It all depends on where you live.

Living many hours drive from Dover I would find the ferry attractive due
to the break from driving the crossing provides.

Re: OT: P&O Ferries still struggling, two years later

<vc451j9i8gftk8cipjue8ts07jdto87q9h@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79321&group=uk.railway#79321

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 13:29:58 +0100
 by: Recliner - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 12:29 UTC

On Sun, 7 Apr 2024 11:56:24 -0000 (UTC), Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Two years after mass sackings, inside the fraught world of P&O Ferries
>>
>> https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3e0e00f7-b6bb-4131-9612-a611106acb68?shareToken=49c1fd19d7723b4dc35f86d3f649f147
>>

>To bring it slightly back on topic, the Tunnel seems to be providing
>vigorous competition. I’m taking a car over for a few days in early May. A
>car and 3 passengers worked out a few pounds cheaper than any ferry
>offering.

I suppose why that's why the ferries are still struggling, despite their ruthless approach to HR.

Re: OT: P&O Ferries still struggling, two years later

<NNxQN.8794$jC2.5763@fx06.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79326&group=uk.railway#79326

From: kwelsby@gmail.com (Ken W)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2024 14:08:45 GMT
 by: Ken W - Sun, 7 Apr 2024 14:08 UTC

On 7 Apr 2024 at 13:29:58 BST, "Recliner" <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Apr 2024 11:56:24 -0000 (UTC), Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Two years after mass sackings, inside the fraught world of P&O Ferries
>>>
>>> https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3e0e00f7-b6bb-4131-9612-a611106acb68?shareToken=49c1fd19d7723b4dc35f86d3f649f147
>>>

>> To bring it slightly back on topic, the Tunnel seems to be providing
>> vigorous competition. I’m taking a car over for a few days in early May. A
>> car and 3 passengers worked out a few pounds cheaper than any ferry
>> offering.
>
> I suppose why that's why the ferries are still struggling, despite their
> ruthless approach to HR.

A chum who goes London-Paris weekly on tech maintenance trips either goes
train or car via tunnel, depending on what kit if any he is taking. If nothing
much then E*, but if there's hefty hardware or a colleague, then he takes his
Skoda estate [which usually has its back dropped flat] for the trip. Which is
cheaper? No clear winner, since day and time varies – but if the train is
taking the strain he tries to avoid Monday mornings and Friday afternoons
which are always busy.

Re: OT: P&O Ferries still struggling, two years later

<38f6796283cf3027db76d6d747252705@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80551&group=uk.railway#80551

From: Ulf.Kutzner@web.de (ulf_kutzner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 13:40:17 +0000
 by: ulf_kutzner - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 13:40 UTC

Tweed wrote:

> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Two years after mass sackings, inside the fraught world of P&O Ferries
>>
>> https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/3e0e00f7-b6bb-4131-9612-a611106acb68?shareToken=49c1fd19d7723b4dc35f86d3f649f147
>>

> To bring it slightly back on topic, the Tunnel seems to be providing
> vigorous competition.

And lorries between Republic of Ireland and mainland EU
tend to avoid Great Britain since Brexit.

Regards, ULF

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: OT: P&O Ferries still struggling, two years later