From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: NLS Maps
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 13:45:56 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 12:45 UTC

The latest releases by the National Library of Scotland list maps of
whole regions of the UK, many of these maps are railway orientated.

https://maps.nls.uk/additions/

Maps of Britain by commercial publishers, 1840s-1970s

We have put online 906 maps by commercial publishers of Great Britain.
Most of these are smaller-scale maps of the whole of Great Britain,
England and Wales, as well as Wales. These maps provide an overview of
these countries, and include maps of railways and roads, economic maps
showing geology and coalfields, educational maps for classroom use, maps
showing administrative and ecclesiastical boundaries, planning maps, and
maps for tourists. Also included are 88 county maps of regions within
England and Wales, as well as 159 town plans, including 119 town plans
of London.

Maps of Whole Countries
County Maps
Town Plans including town plans of London.

1858 - Edward STANFORD - Stanford's railway and road map of England and
Wales
1859 - Edward STANFORD - Stanford's railway and road map of England and
Wales 1859
1863 - Map of England shewing the lines of railway constructed and in
course of construction as well as those proposed by the bills of
session, 1863, etc.
1863 - George Frederick CRUCHLEY - Cruchley's travellers companion
through England and Wales, shewing the railways and stations to the
present time, etc.
1864 - Map of England shewing the lines of railway constructed and in
course of construction as well as those proposed by the bills of
session, 1864.
1865 - A new railway map with agents names to the towns where Horniman's
tea is sold also the population, census 1861.
1865 - John FOWLER - Railway map of England and Wales
1866 - Robert J. COOK AND CO. - Railway map of England & Wales shewing
all lines and stations in work; and railways sanctioned by parliament to
the close of session 1866
1873 - R. Price WILLIAMS - Railway map of England & Wales shewing the
districts served by each railway system and all the railways in
operation or sanctioned
1874 - R. Price WILLIAMS - The smaller railway amalgamation map of
England and Wales, shewing the districts served by each railway system
1877 - E. BARBER - Productions, Minerals, Inland Trade, Railways - Sheet
5 - Geography of England and Wales
1877 - John AIREY - Airey's railway map of England and Wales
1881 - John AIREY - Airey's railway map of England & Wales
1882 - Edward STANFORD - Stanford's London atlas railway and station map
of England & Wales, etc.
1884 - John AIREY - Airey's railway map of the west of England.
1887 - John AIREY - Airey's railway map of England & Wales. Compiled
from the ordnance survey and official sources
1906 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of the South of England.
Prepared ... at the Railway Clearing House, London
1906 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of England & Wales.
Prepared ... at the Railway Clearing House, London ...
1910 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of England & Wales.
Prepared and published at the Railway Clearing House ...
1912 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of the East of England.
Prepared and published at the Railway Clearing House, London ...
1912 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of England & Wales.
Prepared ... by the Railway Clearing House, London.
1913 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of England & Wales.
Prepared ... at the Railway Clearing House, London.
1914 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of the South of England.
Prepared ... at the Railway Clearing House, London.
1917 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of the East of England.
Prepared ... at the Railway Clearing House, London.
1917 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of England & Wales.
Prepared ... at the Railway Clearing House, London.
1918 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of the West of England.
Prepared ... at the Railway Clearing House, London
1918 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of England and Wales.
Prepared and published at the Railway Clearing House, London.
1919 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of England & Wales.
Prepared ... by the Railway Clearing House, London.
1920 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of the South of England.
Prepared ... at the Railway Clearing House, London.
1921 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of England & Wales.
Prepared ... at the Railway Clearing House, London.
1922 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of the East of England.
Prepared ... at the Railway Clearing House, London.
1923 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of England & Wales.
Prepared ... at the Railway Clearing House, London.
1924 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of the West of England.
Prepared ... at the Railway Clearing House, London
1924 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of the South of England.
Prepared ... at the Railway Clearing House, London.
1926 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of England & Wales.
Prepared ... by the Railway Clearing House, London.
1926 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of England & Wales ...
Scale 1:475,200 ...
1928 - Official railway map of the East of England. Prepared ... at the
Railway Clearing House, London.
1947 - J. & W. EMSLIE - Official railway map of England & Wales.
Prepared and published at the Railway Clearing House.

Re: NLS Maps

<l8em93FeocnU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80203&group=uk.railway#80203

From: jja@blueyonder.co.uk (John Armstrong)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: NLS Maps
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 08:54:11 +0100
 by: John Armstrong - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 07:54 UTC

On 18/04/2024 13:45, JMB99 wrote:
> The latest releases by the National Library of Scotland list maps of
> whole regions of the UK, many of these maps are railway orientated.
>

> https://maps.nls.uk/additions/

I highly recommend these, especially the side by side / overlay
comparison feature, which is of great interest to see where old railway
lines ran, and what is there now. The large scale maps go into great
detail, showing locations in many cases even of signal posts.

It's sad, though, to see how much railway infrastructure has been lost.

Re: NLS Maps

<3vqXR1DA7kImFA39@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80221&group=uk.railway#80221

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2024 12:00:16 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Fri, 19 Apr 2024 11:00 UTC

In message <l8em93FeocnU1@mid.individual.net>, at 08:54:11 on Fri, 19
Apr 2024, John Armstrong <jja@blueyonder.co.uk> remarked:
>On 18/04/2024 13:45, JMB99 wrote:
>> The latest releases by the National Library of Scotland list maps of
>>whole regions of the UK, many of these maps are railway orientated.
>> https://maps.nls.uk/additions/
>
>I highly recommend these, especially the side by side / overlay
>comparison feature, which is of great interest to see where old railway
>lines ran, and what is there now. The large scale maps go into great
>detail, showing locations in many cases even of signal posts.
>
>It's sad, though, to see how much railway infrastructure has been lost.

It'd be even sadder if kept, all that wasted land especially in town
centres, and countless bypasses not having a route to follow, causing
even more farmland to be gobbled up. Digging up the old level crossings
makes the roads safer, too.
--
Roland Perry

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: NLS Maps