Absence makes the heart go wander.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Howarts not so much an express

SubjectAuthor
* Howarts not so much an expressRoland Perry
`* Re: Howarts not so much an expressJMB99
 +* Re: Howarts not so much an expressTweed
 |+* Re: Howarts not so much an expressRoland Perry
 ||`* Re: Howarts not so much an expressRecliner
 || `* Re: Howarts not so much an expressTweed
 ||  `- Re: Howarts not so much an expressRecliner
 |`* Re: Howarts not so much an expressRecliner
 | `* Re: Howarts not so much an expressTweed
 |  `- Re: Howarts not so much an expressRecliner
 `- Re: Howarts not so much an expressRoland Perry

1
Howarts not so much an express

<up1xgOkAcrHmFAcG@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80058&group=uk.railway#80058

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Howarts not so much an express
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 18:36:00 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:36 UTC

Operator West Coast Railways (WCR) said the team on board "did their
best" to restart the service, but the train had to be rescued by another
diesel engine.

The breakdown affected the rail network, with ScotRail unable to run
trains between Fort William and Mallaig.

<https://news.sky.com/story/harry-potter-jacobite-steam-train-breaks-
down-on-first-day-back-in-service-13116514>
--
Roland Perry

Re: Howarts not so much an express

<uvqgrj$24nv3$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80123&group=uk.railway#80123

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Howarts not so much an express
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 08:07:31 +0100
 by: JMB99 - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:07 UTC

On 16/04/2024 18:36, Roland Perry wrote:
> The breakdown affected the rail network, with ScotRail unable to run
> trains between Fort William and Mallaig.

I presume WCR will have to pay compensation for blocking the line?

Re: Howarts not so much an express

<uvqi4i$2503c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80124&group=uk.railway#80124

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:29:22 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:SgiSvc17ISSTZ0IOE1XXLAi4sVE=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 07:29 UTC

JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
> On 16/04/2024 18:36, Roland Perry wrote:
>> The breakdown affected the rail network, with ScotRail unable to run
>> trains between Fort William and Mallaig.
>

> I presume WCR will have to pay compensation for blocking the line?

I believe charter services are exempt from paying for delays, on the
grounds that it would put them out of business. There was some kerfuffle
about this a couple of years ago when it was proposed to bring them into
scope. Unfortunately I can’t find any references to this at the moment.
Google seems to be becoming increasingly less useful of late.

Re: Howarts not so much an express

<iR9yuMcdQNImFAGt@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80127&group=uk.railway#80127

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:04:45 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 08:04 UTC

In message <uvqgrj$24nv3$1@dont-email.me>, at 08:07:31 on Thu, 18 Apr
2024, JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> remarked:
>On 16/04/2024 18:36, Roland Perry wrote:

>> The breakdown affected the rail network, with ScotRail unable to run
>> trains between Fort William and Mallaig.
>
>I presume WCR will have to pay compensation for blocking the line?

Yes, just like any other operator.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Howarts not so much an express

<pxEw2qc7SNImFAES@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80129&group=uk.railway#80129

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:07:23 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 08:07 UTC

In message <uvqi4i$2503c$1@dont-email.me>, at 07:29:22 on Thu, 18 Apr
2024, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>> On 16/04/2024 18:36, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> The breakdown affected the rail network, with ScotRail unable to run
>>> trains between Fort William and Mallaig.
>>
>> I presume WCR will have to pay compensation for blocking the line?
>
> I believe charter services are exempt from paying for delays, on the
>grounds that it would put them out of business. There was some kerfuffle
>about this a couple of years ago when it was proposed to bring them into
>scope. Unfortunately I can’t find any references to this at the moment.
>Google seems to be becoming increasingly less useful of late.

It's not a regular charter, though, because they've contracted to
several paths over the same track every day. Feels much more like
"Open Access".
--
Roland Perry

Re: Howarts not so much an express

<KP4UN.69063$lu2.51136@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80130&group=uk.railway#80130

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 08:27:22 GMT
 by: Recliner - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 08:27 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>> On 16/04/2024 18:36, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> The breakdown affected the rail network, with ScotRail unable to run
>>> trains between Fort William and Mallaig.
>>

>> I presume WCR will have to pay compensation for blocking the line?
>>

> I believe charter services are exempt from paying for delays, on the
> grounds that it would put them out of business. There was some kerfuffle
> about this a couple of years ago when it was proposed to bring them into
> scope. Unfortunately I can’t find any references to this at the moment.
> Google seems to be becoming increasingly less useful of late.

Just like other operators, charter operators are liable to pay or receive
compensation for causing or suffering delays. They were never exempt, but
had a low cap, but that was removed. It's called Schedule 8:

https://www.orr.gov.uk/media/12792/download

Re: Howarts not so much an express

<m%4UN.42156$MP2.32213@fx05.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80135&group=uk.railway#80135

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 08:39:46 GMT
 by: Recliner - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 08:39 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <uvqi4i$2503c$1@dont-email.me>, at 07:29:22 on Thu, 18 Apr
> 2024, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>> JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> I presume WCR will have to pay compensation for blocking the line?
>>
>> I believe charter services are exempt from paying for delays, on the
>> grounds that it would put them out of business. There was some kerfuffle
>> about this a couple of years ago when it was proposed to bring them into
>> scope. Unfortunately I can’t find any references to this at the moment.
>> Google seems to be becoming increasingly less useful of late.
>
> It's not a regular charter, though, because they've contracted to
> several paths over the same track every day. Feels much more like
> "Open Access".

Yes, I agree.

Re: Howarts not so much an express

<uvqphh$26hi8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80148&group=uk.railway#80148

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:35:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:l9va72R3VVf1HBGxzi2mufmhZFI=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:35 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <uvqi4i$2503c$1@dont-email.me>, at 07:29:22 on Thu, 18 Apr
>> 2024, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> I believe charter services are exempt from paying for delays, on the
>>> grounds that it would put them out of business. There was some kerfuffle
>>> about this a couple of years ago when it was proposed to bring them into
>>> scope. Unfortunately I can’t find any references to this at the moment.
>>> Google seems to be becoming increasingly less useful of late.
>>
>> It's not a regular charter, though, because they've contracted to
>> several paths over the same track every day. Feels much more like
>> "Open Access".
>
> Yes, I agree.

Don’t open access operators have to accept Anytime any permitted route
tickets?

The Jacobite contact (at least as of 2020) is here

https://www.orr.gov.uk/sites/default/files/om/s18-wcrc-directed-contract.pdf

I’m no wiser as to whether or not it is a charter service, other than the
word charter appears 6 times in this rather opaque document.

Re: Howarts not so much an express

<uvqq15$26ktl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80149&group=uk.railway#80149

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:44:05 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:SUQV/bZ0kIBNtS2LB8zr+hhefvc=
 by: Tweed - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:44 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> JMB99 <mb@nospam.net> wrote:
>>>

>>> I presume WCR will have to pay compensation for blocking the line?
>>>

>> I believe charter services are exempt from paying for delays, on the
>> grounds that it would put them out of business. There was some kerfuffle
>> about this a couple of years ago when it was proposed to bring them into
>> scope. Unfortunately I can’t find any references to this at the moment.
>> Google seems to be becoming increasingly less useful of late.
>>

> Just like other operators, charter operators are liable to pay or receive
> compensation for causing or suffering delays. They were never exempt, but
> had a low cap, but that was removed. It's called Schedule 8:
>
> https://www.orr.gov.uk/media/12792/download

Paragraph 66 of that document seems to imply that they can cap the amount
they are liable for by paying a higher track access charge - a sort of
insurance.

Re: Howarts not so much an express

<iqr12jlf81qiir5jluuuemo11iqb894ici@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80151&group=uk.railway#80151

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 11:01:24 +0100
 by: Recliner - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 10:01 UTC

On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:44:05 -0000 (UTC), Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I believe charter services are exempt from paying for delays, on the
>>> grounds that it would put them out of business. There was some kerfuffle
>>> about this a couple of years ago when it was proposed to bring them into
>>> scope. Unfortunately I can’t find any references to this at the moment.
>>> Google seems to be becoming increasingly less useful of late.
>>>

>> Just like other operators, charter operators are liable to pay or receive
>> compensation for causing or suffering delays. They were never exempt, but
>> had a low cap, but that was removed. It's called Schedule 8:
>>
>> https://www.orr.gov.uk/media/12792/download
>>

>Paragraph 66 of that document seems to imply that they can cap the amount
>they are liable for by paying a higher track access charge - a sort of
>insurance.

Yes, I think that's open to both charter and freight operators.

Re: Howarts not so much an express

<tjs12jph6jhgc39u94vatcq3knn5ghdr2o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80153&group=uk.railway#80153

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2024 11:18:06 +0100
 by: Recliner - Thu, 18 Apr 2024 10:18 UTC

On Thu, 18 Apr 2024 09:35:45 -0000 (UTC), Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <uvqi4i$2503c$1@dont-email.me>, at 07:29:22 on Thu, 18 Apr
>>> 2024, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> It's not a regular charter, though, because they've contracted to
>>> several paths over the same track every day. Feels much more like
>>> "Open Access".
>>
>> Yes, I agree.
>>

>Don’t open access operators have to accept Anytime any permitted route
>tickets?
>
>The Jacobite contact (at least as of 2020) is here
>
>https://www.orr.gov.uk/sites/default/files/om/s18-wcrc-directed-contract.pdf
>
>I’m no wiser as to whether or not it is a charter service, other than the
>word charter appears 6 times in this rather opaque document.

Yes, it does look like NR treats it as a charter service.

In fact, any service using heritage stock probably has to be treated as a charter; a lot of accessibility and safety
rules would kick in if it was a normal scheduled service. Charters are allowed much lower standards, on the basis that
people who book tickets on a heritage charter train know not to expect contemporary train standards for accessibility,
signage, announcements, etc.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Howarts not so much an express