Celebrity voices impersonated.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: WCML Cellular reception

SubjectAuthor
* WCML Cellular receptionTweed
+- Re: WCML Cellular receptionCoffee
+* Re: WCML Cellular receptionRecliner
|`- Re: WCML Cellular receptionTweed
`* Re: WCML Cellular receptionRecliner
 +* Re: WCML Cellular receptionTweed
 |+* Re: WCML Cellular receptionRecliner
 ||`- Re: WCML Cellular receptionTweed
 |`* Re: WCML Cellular receptionRecliner
 | `* Re: WCML Cellular receptionTweed
 |  `* Re: WCML Cellular receptionRecliner
 |   `* Re: WCML Cellular receptionTweed
 |    `* Re: WCML Cellular receptionRecliner
 |     `* Re: WCML Cellular receptionTweed
 |      `- Re: WCML Cellular receptionRecliner
 `- Re: WCML Cellular receptionAlan Lee

1
WCML Cellular reception

<uvdmhj$2v208$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79834&group=uk.railway#79834

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: WCML Cellular reception
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 10:24:51 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:OTZyiE8KtJkjiDwRktua+1dVJLk=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 10:24 UTC

TLDR: surprisingly good

I’m on a Saphos charter hauled by Britannia. Currently parked at Grayrigg
taking on water. 4G Vodafone signal has been very good all of the way,
currently full strength in the middle of nowhere. I guess the coaching
stock helps.

Re: WCML Cellular reception

<uvdo3h$2vann$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79837&group=uk.railway#79837

From: martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: WCML Cellular reception
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 11:51:29 +0100
 by: Coffee - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 10:51 UTC

On 13/04/2024 11:24, Tweed wrote:
> TLDR: surprisingly good
>
> I’m on a Saphos charter hauled by Britannia. Currently parked at Grayrigg
> taking on water. 4G Vodafone signal has been very good all of the way,
> currently full strength in the middle of nowhere. I guess the coaching
> stock helps.

I suggest you try it with former Virgin designed trains and you'll
change your tune.

Re: WCML Cellular reception

<zXwSN.70792$kt2.51564@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79861&group=uk.railway#79861

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 14:49:03 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 14:49 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> TLDR: surprisingly good
>
> I’m on a Saphos charter hauled by Britannia. Currently parked at Grayrigg
> taking on water. 4G Vodafone signal has been very good all of the way,
> currently full strength in the middle of nowhere.

You're on the WCML and close to the M6, so not 'in the middle of nowhere'.
The phone companies treat main lines and major roads as populated areas
that need coverage.

> I guess the coaching stock helps.

Particularly if they're Mk 1 coaches, as all but the last coach of your
train is using (Mk 1s aren't allowed in that position). I trust you've
checked out the CDL?

It's a pity the Pendo blocked the view of the kettle attachment at Preston!

Re: WCML Cellular reception

<2axSN.46581$lu2.46087@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79862&group=uk.railway#79862

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:04:30 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:04 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> TLDR: surprisingly good
>
> I’m on a Saphos charter hauled by Britannia. Currently parked at Grayrigg
> taking on water. 4G Vodafone signal has been very good all of the way,
> currently full strength in the middle of nowhere. I guess the coaching
> stock helps.

From the timings, it looks like Britannia struggled a bit over Shap?
Presumably the rear 47 didn't bank it?

Re: WCML Cellular reception

<uve8su$32p6u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79864&group=uk.railway#79864

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:38:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:AQLWE37OJMPLK+avJcRELmGTyIA=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:38 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> TLDR: surprisingly good
>>
>> I’m on a Saphos charter hauled by Britannia. Currently parked at Grayrigg
>> taking on water. 4G Vodafone signal has been very good all of the way,
>> currently full strength in the middle of nowhere.
>
> You're on the WCML and close to the M6, so not 'in the middle of nowhere'.
> The phone companies treat main lines and major roads as populated areas
> that need coverage.
>
>> I guess the coaching stock helps.
>
> Particularly if they're Mk 1 coaches, as all but the last coach of your
> train is using (Mk 1s aren't allowed in that position). I trust you've
> checked out the CDL?
>
> It's a pity the Pendo blocked the view of the kettle attachment at Preston!

Didn’t block my view :) got a nice picture of the Pendo next to Britannia.
Apparently Britannia is now broken and we are about to go back on Diesel.
Hot big end or similar. It was doing 75 mph for an extended run up the WCML
- probably what broke it. I don’t think I’ve been behind a steam engine
doing that speed for an extended period before. CDL works just fine :)

Re: WCML Cellular reception

<uve945$32r0p$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79865&group=uk.railway#79865

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:41:58 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:GI9LuTPHd+F9TPA/CbP2GNsnaE0=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:41 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> TLDR: surprisingly good
>>
>> I’m on a Saphos charter hauled by Britannia. Currently parked at Grayrigg
>> taking on water. 4G Vodafone signal has been very good all of the way,
>> currently full strength in the middle of nowhere. I guess the coaching
>> stock helps.
>
> From the timings, it looks like Britannia struggled a bit over Shap?
> Presumably the rear 47 didn't bank it?

We stopped before Shap for an extended period on the mainline. Not sure
why. It managed Shap itself ok.Tangmere pulled in next to us at Carlisle
which made for a nice scene.

Re: WCML Cellular reception

<CYxSN.36701$MP2.31304@fx05.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79867&group=uk.railway#79867

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:58:26 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:58 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> TLDR: surprisingly good
>>>
>>> I’m on a Saphos charter hauled by Britannia. Currently parked at Grayrigg
>>> taking on water. 4G Vodafone signal has been very good all of the way,
>>> currently full strength in the middle of nowhere. I guess the coaching
>>> stock helps.
>>
>> From the timings, it looks like Britannia struggled a bit over Shap?
>> Presumably the rear 47 didn't bank it?
>>

> We stopped before Shap for an extended period on the mainline. Not sure
> why. It managed Shap itself ok.Tangmere pulled in next to us at Carlisle
> which made for a nice scene.

Ah, hauling the Northern Belle from Lime Street.

Re: WCML Cellular reception

<uvead9$333a8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79868&group=uk.railway#79868

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:03:53 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:BljFEWJfXOyB9WaVyz/YA2SXr4A=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:03 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> From the timings, it looks like Britannia struggled a bit over Shap?
>>> Presumably the rear 47 didn't bank it?
>>>

>> We stopped before Shap for an extended period on the mainline. Not sure
>> why. It managed Shap itself ok.Tangmere pulled in next to us at Carlisle
>> which made for a nice scene.
>
> Ah, hauling the Northern Belle from Lime Street.

You are right about cellular giving priority to the main routes. Coming
back over the S&C and it’s more patchy.

Re: WCML Cellular reception

<W4ySN.36702$MP2.30578@fx05.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79869&group=uk.railway#79869

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:07:18 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:07 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> TLDR: surprisingly good
>>>
>>> I’m on a Saphos charter hauled by Britannia. Currently parked at Grayrigg
>>> taking on water. 4G Vodafone signal has been very good all of the way,
>>> currently full strength in the middle of nowhere. I guess the coaching
>>> stock helps.
>>
>> From the timings, it looks like Britannia struggled a bit over Shap?
>> Presumably the rear 47 didn't bank it?
>>

> We stopped before Shap for an extended period on the mainline. Not sure
> why. It managed Shap itself ok.Tangmere pulled in next to us at Carlisle
> which made for a nice scene.

I wonder how many of your senior Saphos catering staff are ex-Northen
Belle? I think most moved across after Smithy bought the Belle and moved
it to Carnforth. They must a get a feeling of déjà vu when they see it.

Re: WCML Cellular reception

<uveauk$3370u$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79870&group=uk.railway#79870

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:13:09 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:WKTMb79Ca2D77/KS9juzpld3Jgw=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:13 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> From the timings, it looks like Britannia struggled a bit over Shap?
>>> Presumably the rear 47 didn't bank it?
>>>

>> We stopped before Shap for an extended period on the mainline. Not sure
>> why. It managed Shap itself ok.Tangmere pulled in next to us at Carlisle
>> which made for a nice scene.
>
> I wonder how many of your senior Saphos catering staff are ex-Northen
> Belle? I think most moved across after Smithy bought the Belle and moved
> it to Carnforth. They must a get a feeling of déjà vu when they see it.

I’ve no idea, but you get a much better ratio of staff to customers, and a
higher standard of service than in most restaurants. It a long day for us
and an even longer day for them. They have a greater stamina than I do.

Re: WCML Cellular reception

<mlySN.39225$T%2.20288@fx08.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79871&group=uk.railway#79871

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:24:50 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:24 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> We stopped before Shap for an extended period on the mainline. Not sure
>>> why. It managed Shap itself ok.Tangmere pulled in next to us at Carlisle
>>> which made for a nice scene.
>>
>> I wonder how many of your senior Saphos catering staff are ex-Northen
>> Belle? I think most moved across after Smithy bought the Belle and moved
>> it to Carnforth. They must a get a feeling of déjà vu when they see it.
>>

> I’ve no idea, but you get a much better ratio of staff to customers, and a
> higher standard of service than in most restaurants.

They probably learned that on the Belle — maybe ask?

> It a long day for us
> and an even longer day for them. They have a greater stamina than I do.

Yup, and some may have had to make a very early start from where they live
around Crewe to get to the train at Leicester by about 6am.

Re: WCML Cellular reception

<uvecnm$33i51$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79874&group=uk.railway#79874

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:43:34 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:tPrHEW5F2RghuGdrXKrHTI/7558=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:43 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I wonder how many of your senior Saphos catering staff are ex-Northen
>>> Belle? I think most moved across after Smithy bought the Belle and moved
>>> it to Carnforth. They must a get a feeling of déjà vu when they see it.
>>>

>> I’ve no idea, but you get a much better ratio of staff to customers, and a
>> higher standard of service than in most restaurants.
>
> They probably learned that on the Belle — maybe ask?
>
>> It a long day for us
>> and an even longer day for them. They have a greater stamina than I do.
>
> Yup, and some may have had to make a very early start from where they live
> around Crewe to get to the train at Leicester by about 6am.

I think some stayed overnight in Leicester. I’ve always found
Statesman/Saphos service to be excellent, and I think this predates the
Belle change of ownership.

Re: WCML Cellular reception

<k89TN.456645$7uxe.100225@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79960&group=uk.railway#79960

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 12:33:20 GMT
 by: Recliner - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 12:33 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I’ve no idea, but you get a much better ratio of staff to customers, and a
>>> higher standard of service than in most restaurants.
>>
>> They probably learned that on the Belle — maybe ask?
>>
>>> It a long day for us
>>> and an even longer day for them. They have a greater stamina than I do.
>>
>> Yup, and some may have had to make a very early start from where they live
>> around Crewe to get to the train at Leicester by about 6am.
>>

> I think some stayed overnight in Leicester. I’ve always found
> Statesman/Saphos service to be excellent, and I think this predates the
> Belle change of ownership.

You might find this video interesting — three kettles in one day at
Carlisle:
https://youtu.be/rg6L-N-_8ac?si=lFxW5vNbU3cJ813D

It's a pity about Britannia. But I guess your arrival back home would have
been seriously delayed if hauled by an ailing kettle. Without water stops,
I thought you'd have got back really, but what caused the 26 minute delay
around Long Preston?

Re: WCML Cellular reception

<uvjlli$ct2i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79985&group=uk.railway#79985

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 16:46:42 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:SF5rhGYaBQnImE5paGoPz9a68pk=
 by: Tweed - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 16:46 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> They probably learned that on the Belle — maybe ask?

>>> Yup, and some may have had to make a very early start from where they live
>>> around Crewe to get to the train at Leicester by about 6am.
>>>

>> I think some stayed overnight in Leicester. I’ve always found
>> Statesman/Saphos service to be excellent, and I think this predates the
>> Belle change of ownership.
>
> You might find this video interesting — three kettles in one day at
> Carlisle:
> https://youtu.be/rg6L-N-_8ac?si=lFxW5vNbU3cJ813D
>
> It's a pity about Britannia. But I guess your arrival back home would have
> been seriously delayed if hauled by an ailing kettle. Without water stops,
> I thought you'd have got back really, but what caused the 26 minute delay
> around Long Preston?

We had to keep to the original timings even with a Diesel on the front. We
therefore had to have a pretend water stop, though they moved it to what
they claimed was a more scenic location.

The trip back was somewhat spoilt by a drunken couple (in Premier Dining no
less) who were rowing with each other. They had started drinking on the way
up, probably spent the 4 hours in Carlisle drinking and continued on the
way back. They managed to rack up a £600 bar bill.

Re: WCML Cellular reception

<uvjsp8$eg9c$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79995&group=uk.railway#79995

From: alan@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2024 19:48:06 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Mon, 15 Apr 2024 18:48 UTC

On 13/04/2024 16:04, Recliner wrote:

> From the timings, it looks like Britannia struggled a bit over Shap?
> Presumably the rear 47 didn't bank it?

I was half way up Shap a few weeks ago when 5043 was hauling a train up,
it was struggling half way up, but did make it.
10 minutes later, Tangmere came with a 47 on the rear, flying up it.
When the 47 came past, it was clear it was on full power pushing the
train up, whereas 5043 did it on its own.

Re: WCML Cellular reception

<5hms1jtriak7edkttqgakuie5rp778b9iv@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80036&group=uk.railway#80036

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 12:06:55 +0100
 by: Recliner - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 11:06 UTC

On Mon, 15 Apr 2024 16:46:42 -0000 (UTC), Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think some stayed overnight in Leicester. I’ve always found
>>> Statesman/Saphos service to be excellent, and I think this predates the
>>> Belle change of ownership.
>>
>> You might find this video interesting — three kettles in one day at
>> Carlisle:
>> https://youtu.be/rg6L-N-_8ac?si=lFxW5vNbU3cJ813D
>>
>> It's a pity about Britannia. But I guess your arrival back home would have
>> been seriously delayed if hauled by an ailing kettle. Without water stops,
>> I thought you'd have got back really, but what caused the 26 minute delay
>> around Long Preston?
>>

>We had to keep to the original timings even with a Diesel on the front. We
>therefore had to have a pretend water stop, though they moved it to what
>they claimed was a more scenic location.
>
>The trip back was somewhat spoilt by a drunken couple (in Premier Dining no
>less) who were rowing with each other. They had started drinking on the way
>up, probably spent the 4 hours in Carlisle drinking and continued on the
>way back. They managed to rack up a £600 bar bill.

I'm sure Jeremy will be grateful for the extra profits!

I see your train was hauled by the loco (D1935, 47805) named after his late father, Roger Hosking.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: WCML Cellular reception