From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: OHL update
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 07:37:50 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 06:37 UTC

Wires down on Cambridge/Stansted/Liverpool St line (fallen tree
according to some reports). Passengers advised not to travel.

Also: London Overground part-suspended

"There is no London Overground service between Hackney Downs and
Chingford this morning, due to an obstruction on the overhead wires at
Wood Street."
--
Roland Perry

Re: OHL update

<uvl7nb$qjnb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80012&group=uk.railway#80012

From: bob@domain.com (Bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OHL update
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 09:00:59 +0200
 by: Bob - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 07:00 UTC

On 16.04.2024 08:37, Roland Perry wrote:
> Wires down on Cambridge/Stansted/Liverpool St line (fallen tree
> according to some reports). Passengers advised not to travel.
>
> Also: London Overground part-suspended
>
> "There is no London Overground service between Hackney Downs and
> Chingford this morning, due to an obstruction on the overhead wires at
> Wood Street."

Trees on the line are also well known to be impassable to trains not
involving overhead wires, and for large trees, can take multiple hours
to be cleared.

Robin

Re: OHL update

<r7hQknVRDlHmFAdt@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80033&group=uk.railway#80033

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 11:20:01 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 10:20 UTC

In message <uvl7nb$qjnb$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:00:59 on Tue, 16 Apr
2024, Bob <bob@domain.com> remarked:
>On 16.04.2024 08:37, Roland Perry wrote:
>> Wires down on Cambridge/Stansted/Liverpool St line (fallen tree
>>according to some reports). Passengers advised not to travel.

>> Also: London Overground part-suspended
>> "There is no London Overground service between Hackney Downs and
>>Chingford this morning, due to an obstruction on the overhead wires at
>>Wood Street."
>
>Trees on the line are also well known to be impassable to trains not
>involving overhead wires,

An hour with a chainsaw.

>and for large trees, can take multiple hours to be cleared.

But not the length of time it takes rewire the knitting.

But thanks for coming back with those observations, I had a small bet
with myself you would.

Meanwhile... back at Wood Street. Yes, I know, trees are made of wood.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OHL update

<uvm4b7$10mf9$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80046&group=uk.railway#80046

From: bob@domain.com (Bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:09:26 +0200
 by: Bob - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 15:09 UTC

On 16.04.2024 12:20, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <uvl7nb$qjnb$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:00:59 on Tue, 16 Apr
> 2024, Bob <bob@domain.com> remarked:
>> On 16.04.2024 08:37, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> Wires down on Cambridge/Stansted/Liverpool St line (fallen tree
>>> according to some reports). Passengers advised not to travel.
>
>>>  Also: London Overground part-suspended
>>>  "There is no London Overground service between Hackney Downs and
>>> Chingford this morning, due to an obstruction on the overhead wires
>>> at Wood Street."
>>
>> Trees on the line are also well known to be impassable to trains not
>> involving overhead wires,
>
> An hour with a chainsaw.

An hour to get the crew to the depot, then half an hour to brief them of
the problem, load the chainsaw into the van, then an hour to get on
site. An hour to cut the tree up, then perhaps another hour to clear the
mess out of the way and inspect for any more serious damage.

>> and for large trees, can take multiple hours to be cleared.
>
> But not the length of time it takes rewire the knitting.
>
> But thanks for coming back with those observations, I had a small bet
> with myself you would.

It is, naturally, the objective of trolling, to illicit a response.
Congratulations on a successful troll.

Robin

Re: OHL update

<CY7qMdi7UrHmFAap@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80055&group=uk.railway#80055

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2024 18:28:27 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 17:28 UTC

In message <uvm4b7$10mf9$1@dont-email.me>, at 17:09:26 on Tue, 16 Apr
2024, Bob <bob@domain.com> remarked:
>On 16.04.2024 12:20, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <uvl7nb$qjnb$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:00:59 on Tue, 16 Apr
>>2024, Bob <bob@domain.com> remarked:

>>> Trees on the line are also well known to be impassable to trains not
>>>involving overhead wires,

>> An hour with a chainsaw.
>
>An hour to get the crew to the depot, then half an hour to brief them
>of the problem, load the chainsaw into the van, then an hour to get on
>site. An hour to cut the tree up, then perhaps another hour to clear
>the mess out of the way and inspect for any more serious damage.

Only if things are over-centralised.

>>> and for large trees, can take multiple hours to be cleared.

>> But not the length of time it takes rewire the knitting.
>> But thanks for coming back with those observations, I had a small
>>bet with myself you would.
>
>It is, naturally, the objective of trolling, to illicit a response.

And you did (mine).

>Congratulations on a successful troll.

I presume that's a self-congratulation.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OHL update

<l88179FenlaU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80062&group=uk.railway#80062

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 16 Apr 2024 19:18:01 GMT
 by: Marland - Tue, 16 Apr 2024 19:18 UTC

Bob <bob@domain.com> wrote:
> On 16.04.2024 08:37, Roland Perry wrote:
>> Wires down on Cambridge/Stansted/Liverpool St line (fallen tree
>> according to some reports). Passengers advised not to travel.
>>
>> Also: London Overground part-suspended
>>
>> "There is no London Overground service between Hackney Downs and
>> Chingford this morning, due to an obstruction on the overhead wires at
>> Wood Street."
>
> Trees on the line are also well known to be impassable to trains not
> involving overhead wires, and for large trees, can take multiple hours
> to be cleared.
>
> Robin

OTOH when a tree admittedly not too large was fouling the track between
Warminster and Salisbury
one dark evening our train whose crew had been alerted by a report from a
service going the other direction slowed to something like 20mph. The Guard
explained on the PA why were going so slow, finally we halted near to
Upton Lovell and the Guard announced we had reached the fouling tree and he
was joining the driver to examine it. He was then seen walking to the front
carrying a small handsaw which presumably is from some toolkit kept on
board. I cannot recall how long it for them to clear it, around
30-40 mins possibly and we then proceeded . I asked how big it was as he
returned to the back, A branch about 3” he said . So not huge but not a
sapling either and if there had been OHLE would likely have caused
problems which would have needed external and time consuming assistance..
We arrived at Salisbury about 50 late but I heard no complaints and
passengers around us were being quite complimentary about the crews
efforts, I did send an email to gWr to say their efforts were appreciated

GH.

Re: OHL update

<uvo10r$1g9nk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80074&group=uk.railway#80074

From: martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2024 09:24:59 +0100
 by: Coffee - Wed, 17 Apr 2024 08:24 UTC

On 16/04/2024 20:18, Marland wrote:
> Bob <bob@domain.com> wrote:
>> On 16.04.2024 08:37, Roland Perry wrote:
>>> Wires down on Cambridge/Stansted/Liverpool St line (fallen tree
>>> according to some reports). Passengers advised not to travel.
>>>
>>> Also: London Overground part-suspended
>>>
>>> "There is no London Overground service between Hackney Downs and
>>> Chingford this morning, due to an obstruction on the overhead wires at
>>> Wood Street."
>>
>> Trees on the line are also well known to be impassable to trains not
>> involving overhead wires, and for large trees, can take multiple hours
>> to be cleared.
>>
>> Robin
>>

> OTOH when a tree admittedly not too large was fouling the track between
> Warminster and Salisbury
> one dark evening our train whose crew had been alerted by a report from a
> service going the other direction slowed to something like 20mph. The Guard
> explained on the PA why were going so slow, finally we halted near to
> Upton Lovell and the Guard announced we had reached the fouling tree and he
> was joining the driver to examine it. He was then seen walking to the front
> carrying a small handsaw which presumably is from some toolkit kept on
> board. I cannot recall how long it for them to clear it, around
> 30-40 mins possibly and we then proceeded . I asked how big it was as he
> returned to the back, A branch about 3” he said . So not huge but not a
> sapling either and if there had been OHLE would likely have caused
> problems which would have needed external and time consuming assistance..
> We arrived at Salisbury about 50 late but I heard no complaints and
> passengers around us were being quite complimentary about the crews
> efforts, I did send an email to gWr to say their efforts were appreciated

I got out and helped the driver clear the tree we encountered on the
Harz railway.

Re: OHL update

<fd652149cec2d7104da3d21263db122e@www.novabbs.org>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=80881&group=uk.railway#80881

Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 09:15:12 +0000
From: Ulf.Kutzner@web.de (ulf_kutzner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
 by: ulf_kutzner - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 09:15 UTC

Bob wrote:

> On 16.04.2024 12:20, Roland Perry wrote:
>> In message <uvl7nb$qjnb$1@dont-email.me>, at 09:00:59 on Tue, 16 Apr
>> 2024, Bob <bob@domain.com> remarked:

>>> Trees on the line are also well known to be impassable to trains not
>>> involving overhead wires,
>>
>> An hour with a chainsaw.

> An hour to get the crew to the depot, then half an hour to brief them of
> the problem, load the chainsaw into the van, then an hour to get on
> site. An hour to cut the tree up, then perhaps another hour to clear the
> mess out of the way and inspect for any more serious damage.

But it may take more time if the OHL is to be repaired.

Regards, ULF

aus+uk / uk.railway / OHL update