It is a poor judge who cannot award a prize.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway Centre

SubjectAuthor
* Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreYenc-PP-A&A
`* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreBevan Price
 `* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRecliner
  `* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRoland Perry
   `* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreMarland
    +* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRoland Perry
    |+* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRecliner
    ||`* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRoland Perry
    || `* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRecliner
    ||  +* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreGraeme Wall
    ||  |+* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRecliner
    ||  ||`- Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreGraeme Wall
    ||  |`* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreCharles Ellson
    ||  | `- Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreBob
    ||  `* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRoland Perry
    ||   +* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRecliner
    ||   |`* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRoland Perry
    ||   | +* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRecliner
    ||   | |+- Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRoland Perry
    ||   | |`* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreGraeme Wall
    ||   | | `- Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRecliner
    ||   | `* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreMarland
    ||   |  `* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRoland Perry
    ||   |   `* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreMarland
    ||   |    `* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRecliner
    ||   |     `* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreGraeme Wall
    ||   |      `- Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRecliner
    ||   `* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreTheo
    ||    `- Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRecliner
    |`- Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreGraeme Wall
    +- Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreRecliner
    `* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreTheo
     +* Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreTweed
     |`- Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreTheo
     `- Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway CentreAlan Lee

Pages:12
Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway Centre

<zlWON.79125$au2.50155@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78995&group=uk.railway#78995

Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway Centre
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
<6uun0jtkdlukpqpv53coml4ls1pf5ncea2@4ax.com>
<0XQX$D7F1CDmFANv@perry.uk>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 16:27:11 GMT
 by: Recliner - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 16:27 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <6uun0jtkdlukpqpv53coml4ls1pf5ncea2@4ax.com>, at 13:37:47 on
> Tue, 2 Apr 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>> On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 06:37:13 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <pgFON.36294$lu2.18136@fx15.ams1>, at 21:01:09 on Mon, 1 Apr
>>> 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> I suppose that if in service an overnight charge might last all day,
>>> depending on the length of each trip.
>>
>> They could do a 15 minute top-up after each trip (or return trip on a
>> short line).
>
> Manually plugging them that often seems like a huge faff.

The 230 BMU could probably do several return trips on one charge. So it
might only need one recharge at lunchtime on a typical heritage line.

In any case, it's far less faff than running a steam engine round and
watering it after every trip, with coal top-ups from time to time.

Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway Centre

<uuhjca$3c87p$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79015&group=uk.railway#79015

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 19:39:06 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 18:39 UTC

On 02/04/2024 17:27, Recliner wrote:
> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <6uun0jtkdlukpqpv53coml4ls1pf5ncea2@4ax.com>, at 13:37:47 on

>>> They could do a 15 minute top-up after each trip (or return trip on a
>>> short line).
>>
>> Manually plugging them that often seems like a huge faff.
>
> The 230 BMU could probably do several return trips on one charge. So it
> might only need one recharge at lunchtime on a typical heritage line.
>
> In any case, it's far less faff than running a steam engine round and
> watering it after every trip, with coal top-ups from time to time.

Except that watering a steam loco is an attraction for the punters,
plugging a cable in, less so.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway Centre

<uuhjnb$3c94o$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79016&group=uk.railway#79016

From: bob@domain.com (Bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2024 20:44:59 +0200
 by: Bob - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 18:44 UTC

On 02.04.2024 04:14, Charles Ellson wrote:
> On Mon, 1 Apr 2024 22:16:47 +0100, Graeme Wall
> <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> A preserved line wouldn't need the rapid charger kit.
>>>

>> They'd need some form of charger kit, presumably a car charger could be
>> modded to suit.
>>
> What voltage do they need? If they work at around 700-800 volts and
> there is a local 33kV supply available then there is maybe an ongoing
> assured supply from scrapped EMUs.

How long is a piece of string? As it stands nobody has designed a
battery solution to retrofit on a heritage EMU, and how long it can be
on charge between runs and how much battery capacity is installed are
all open questions. If you just want to run it up and down your line
once a month at slow speed, a basic 13 plug could probably provided the
needed power.

Robin

Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway Centre

<l736n2Fqng4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79021&group=uk.railway#79021

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 2 Apr 2024 20:04:50 GMT
<6uun0jtkdlukpqpv53coml4ls1pf5ncea2@4ax.com>
<0XQX$D7F1CDmFANv@perry.uk>
 by: Marland - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 20:04 UTC

Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
> In message <6uun0jtkdlukpqpv53coml4ls1pf5ncea2@4ax.com>, at 13:37:47 on
> Tue, 2 Apr 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>> On Tue, 2 Apr 2024 06:37:13 +0100, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <pgFON.36294$lu2.18136@fx15.ams1>, at 21:01:09 on Mon, 1 Apr
>>> 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> I suppose that if in service an overnight charge might last all day,
>>> depending on the length of each trip.
>>
>> They could do a 15 minute top-up after each trip (or return trip on a
>> short line).
>
> Manually plugging them that often seems like a huge faff.

Is plugging in a single cable from a charger into a socket going to be
more of a faff than than uncoupling a locomotive which could involve a
screw link coupling , vacuum or air brake pipe, maybe a steam heat or
electric heating jumpers then running around to the other end of a train
and coupling them all up again and doing the brake test?

GH

Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway Centre

<NT%ON.39445$lu2.3444@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79028&group=uk.railway#79028

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2024 22:45:01 GMT
 by: Recliner - Tue, 2 Apr 2024 22:45 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 02/04/2024 17:27, Recliner wrote:
>> Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <6uun0jtkdlukpqpv53coml4ls1pf5ncea2@4ax.com>, at 13:37:47 on
>>> Tue, 2 Apr 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>> Manually plugging them that often seems like a huge faff.
>>
>> The 230 BMU could probably do several return trips on one charge. So it
>> might only need one recharge at lunchtime on a typical heritage line.
>>
>> In any case, it's far less faff than running a steam engine round and
>> watering it after every trip, with coal top-ups from time to time.
>
> Except that watering a steam loco is an attraction for the punters,
> plugging a cable in, less so.

Sure, nothing about a BMU will be as scenic as preserved steam. They're
silent, have no visible moving parts and (hopefully!) don't emit any smoke.
But they'd be far cheaper to run, and need very few volunteer hours to keep
them running. Steam locos are very labour intensive. So, on quiet days they
may be the only practical option to keep running.

Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway Centre

<5SHEOmUZBMDmFAs4@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79038&group=uk.railway#79038

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 03:35:05 +0100
 by: Roland Perry - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 02:35 UTC

In message <l736n2Fqng4U1@mid.individual.net>, at 20:04:50 on Tue, 2 Apr
2024, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> remarked:
>Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>> In message <6uun0jtkdlukpqpv53coml4ls1pf5ncea2@4ax.com>, at 13:37:47 on

>>> They could do a 15 minute top-up after each trip (or return trip on a
>>> short line).
>>
>> Manually plugging them that often seems like a huge faff.
>
>Is plugging in a single cable from a charger into a socket going to be
>more of a faff than than uncoupling a locomotive which could involve a
>screw link coupling , vacuum or air brake pipe, maybe a steam heat or
>electric heating jumpers then running around to the other end of a train
>and coupling them all up again and doing the brake test?

Yes, especially when the steam engine's shuffle is part of the spectacle
people are paying for.
--
Roland Perry

Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway Centre

<l74hfmF293gU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79053&group=uk.railway#79053

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 3 Apr 2024 08:14:46 GMT
<6uun0jtkdlukpqpv53coml4ls1pf5ncea2@4ax.com>
<0XQX$D7F1CDmFANv@perry.uk>
<l736n2Fqng4U1@mid.individual.net>
<5SHEOmUZBMDmFAs4@perry.uk>
 by: Marland - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 08:14 UTC

>>> Manually plugging them that often seems like a huge faff.
>>
>> Is plugging in a single cable from a charger into a socket going to be
>> more of a faff than than uncoupling a locomotive which could involve a
>> screw link coupling , vacuum or air brake pipe, maybe a steam heat or
>> electric heating jumpers then running around to the other end of a train
>> and coupling them all up again and doing the brake test?
>
> Yes, especially when the steam engine's shuffle is part of the spectacle
> people are paying for.

I’ll repeat what I wrote above.

I could see a quirky battery conversion being used on some of our more

So such people will not be interested in seeing that, if they were they
could choose to ride on a more conventional train, that is if one is
scheduled.
I could see an easily operated battery train being useful to a scenic
heritage line on those beginning and end of season days when a steam loco
is becoming harder to run as reduced passenger numbers don’t cover the
cost of coal coupled with the pool of volunteers gradually shrinking due to
various factors. A battery unit would need less people to prepare ,clean
,run and dispose of at end of the day.
The alternative could be no train at all.

And that people are watching all the connections needing to be
disconnected from a locomotive
doesn’t stop it being a lot more faff compared with just putting a plug in
a socket, its just interesting to some spectators.

GH

Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway Centre

<hy8PN.35887$hv2.10222@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79055&group=uk.railway#79055

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 08:36:29 GMT
 by: Recliner - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 08:36 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Is plugging in a single cable from a charger into a socket going to be
>>> more of a faff than than uncoupling a locomotive which could involve a
>>> screw link coupling , vacuum or air brake pipe, maybe a steam heat or
>>> electric heating jumpers then running around to the other end of a train
>>> and coupling them all up again and doing the brake test?
>>
>> Yes, especially when the steam engine's shuffle is part of the spectacle
>> people are paying for.
>
> I’ll repeat what I wrote above.
>
> I could see a quirky battery conversion being used on some of our more
>
> So such people will not be interested in seeing that, if they were they
> could choose to ride on a more conventional train, that is if one is
> scheduled.
> I could see an easily operated battery train being useful to a scenic
> heritage line on those beginning and end of season days when a steam loco
> is becoming harder to run as reduced passenger numbers don’t cover the
> cost of coal coupled with the pool of volunteers gradually shrinking due to
> various factors. A battery unit would need less people to prepare ,clean
> ,run and dispose of at end of the day.
> The alternative could be no train at all.
>
> And that people are watching all the connections needing to be
> disconnected from a locomotive
> doesn’t stop it being a lot more faff compared with just putting a plug in
> a socket, its just interesting to some spectators.

I wonder to what extent EMUs can be modified to have windows in the cab
walls, so passengers can have a forward view, as in first gen DMUs? Could
the solid cab door be replaced with a glass (or plexiglass) door? That
would make them more attractive to visitors, especially children.

Perhaps a forward-facing camera feed to 4K screens in each carriage would
also improve the attraction on scenic lines. Or it could be streamed to
passengers' phones via onboard WiFi. Yes, I know this isn't anything like a
1950s steam branch line experience, but it might appeal to younger
visitors.

Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway Centre

<uuj7s2$3r9oo$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79063&group=uk.railway#79063

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2024 10:34:58 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 09:34 UTC

On 03/04/2024 09:36, Recliner wrote:
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Yes, especially when the steam engine's shuffle is part of the spectacle
>>> people are paying for.
>>
>> I’ll repeat what I wrote above.
>>
>> I could see a quirky battery conversion being used on some of our more
>>
>> So such people will not be interested in seeing that, if they were they
>> could choose to ride on a more conventional train, that is if one is
>> scheduled.
>> I could see an easily operated battery train being useful to a scenic
>> heritage line on those beginning and end of season days when a steam loco
>> is becoming harder to run as reduced passenger numbers don’t cover the
>> cost of coal coupled with the pool of volunteers gradually shrinking due to
>> various factors. A battery unit would need less people to prepare ,clean
>> ,run and dispose of at end of the day.
>> The alternative could be no train at all.
>>
>> And that people are watching all the connections needing to be
>> disconnected from a locomotive
>> doesn’t stop it being a lot more faff compared with just putting a plug in
>> a socket, its just interesting to some spectators.
>>

> I wonder to what extent EMUs can be modified to have windows in the cab
> walls, so passengers can have a forward view, as in first gen DMUs? Could
> the solid cab door be replaced with a glass (or plexiglass) door? That
> would make them more attractive to visitors, especially children.

Don't a lot of them have kit against the rear bulkhead?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Merseyrail 507001 to be preserved at Tanat Railway Centre

<Pv9PN.53906$kt2.22768@fx13.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79068&group=uk.railway#79068

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2024 09:42:07 GMT
 by: Recliner - Wed, 3 Apr 2024 09:42 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 03/04/2024 09:36, Recliner wrote:
>> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:

>>> I’ll repeat what I wrote above.
>>>
>>> I could see a quirky battery conversion being used on some of our more
>>>
>>> So such people will not be interested in seeing that, if they were they
>>> could choose to ride on a more conventional train, that is if one is
>>> scheduled.
>>> I could see an easily operated battery train being useful to a scenic
>>> heritage line on those beginning and end of season days when a steam loco
>>> is becoming harder to run as reduced passenger numbers don’t cover the
>>> cost of coal coupled with the pool of volunteers gradually shrinking due to
>>> various factors. A battery unit would need less people to prepare ,clean
>>> ,run and dispose of at end of the day.
>>> The alternative could be no train at all.
>>>
>>> And that people are watching all the connections needing to be
>>> disconnected from a locomotive
>>> doesn’t stop it being a lot more faff compared with just putting a plug in
>>> a socket, its just interesting to some spectators.
>>>

>> I wonder to what extent EMUs can be modified to have windows in the cab
>> walls, so passengers can have a forward view, as in first gen DMUs? Could
>> the solid cab door be replaced with a glass (or plexiglass) door? That
>> would make them more attractive to visitors, especially children.
>
> Don't a lot of them have kit against the rear bulkhead?

Some of that kit may be redundant when running on a preserved line, or
could be moved. And there can't be any kit on the door.