From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Abellio ScotRail franchise being ended 3 years early
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2024 20:30:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:0XnMScHqes0eSWfdSljZnVKixBk=
 by: Recliner - Sun, 31 Mar 2024 20:30 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 31/12/2019 13:52, Tweed wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't know if that ECML-style backloading applies in all cases. In
>>> particular, ScotRail is heavily subsidised, rather than ever paying a
>>> premium, so the profile might look quite different.
>>>

>> I do wonder why overseas state owned operators bother with our franchises.
>> Well, a step further, why does anyone ever bother. The potential for losses
>> seems huge and the profits to be made small. But yet they keep on coming.
>>

> Not any longer they don't it would appear.

Yes, the number of bidders has now dropped below the DfT's own minimum
standard.

I think the new-style contracts will move most of the financial risk to the
government. The operators will just be running under the new franchising
authority's directions, similar to LO or TfW.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Abellio ScotRail franchise being ended 3 years early