Here I am in 53 B.C. and all I want is a dill pickle!!

aus+uk / uk.railway / Jacobite suspended

SubjectAuthor
* Jacobite suspendedGraeme Wall
+* Re: Jacobite suspendedAlan Lee

Pages:12
Jacobite suspended

<utf7qc$1kc68$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77845&group=uk.railway#77845

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Jacobite suspended
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 17:53:16 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 17:53 UTC

<https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz7z6xnpyn6o>
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Jacobite suspended

<utfcom$1lkkr$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77846&group=uk.railway#77846

From: alan@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Jacobite suspended
Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2024 19:17:41 +0000
 by: Alan Lee - Wed, 20 Mar 2024 19:17 UTC

On 20/03/2024 17:53, Graeme Wall wrote:
> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz7z6xnpyn6o>

So the empty stock move past my house is not going to happen on Monday.
WCR are a joke, from that report it seems they have applied for another
exemption to central door locking!
Like they are really going to get that after their past history.
Clearly they dont want to hire in one or two sets of air braked CDL
stock, and another air braked loco. Their only air braked loco,
Tangmere,is what they have been using in the last 2 months on the
Cumbrian legs of their excursions with hired in CDL stock (Riviera
trains I think)

Re: Jacobite suspended

<87330jlo0l2bn6eqm0ck0eqa99q8jvfsd5@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78222&group=uk.railway#78222

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2024 14:41:22 +0000
 by: Recliner - Mon, 25 Mar 2024 14:41 UTC

On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 19:17:41 +0000, Alan Lee <alan@darkroom.plus.com> wrote:

>On 20/03/2024 17:53, Graeme Wall wrote:
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz7z6xnpyn6o>
>
>So the empty stock move past my house is not going to happen on Monday.
>WCR are a joke, from that report it seems they have applied for another
>exemption to central door locking!
>Like they are really going to get that after their past history.
>Clearly they dont want to hire in one or two sets of air braked CDL
>stock, and another air braked loco. Their only air braked loco,
>Tangmere,is what they have been using in the last 2 months on the
>Cumbrian legs of their excursions with hired in CDL stock (Riviera
>trains I think)

I gather LSL is ready and willing to take over this contract if WCR can't provide compliant stock.

Re: Jacobite suspended

<1b90a71b66af06d0e32dff34863d98ea@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78256&group=uk.railway#78256

From: andrewclarke437@gmail.com (ermintrudethecat)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 01:04:46 +0000
 by: ermintrudethecat - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 01:04 UTC

Graeme Wall wrote:

> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz7z6xnpyn6o>

There is an article in the current edition of 'The Spectator' by Christian Wolmar broadly in agreement with the decision the authorities have taken. Comments are largely from the "When I Were A Lad" brigade, many of whom seem to think that (a) The Jacobite only travels at 25 mph and (b) that it is perfectly OK to fall out of a train at 25 mph.

Andrew and Ermintrude Clarke
Canberra

Re: Jacobite suspended

<uttu69$1mb8r$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78262&group=uk.railway#78262

From: alan@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 07:40:55 +0000
 by: Alan Lee - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 07:40 UTC

On 26/03/2024 01:04, ermintrudethecat wrote:
> Graeme Wall wrote:
>
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz7z6xnpyn6o>
>
> There is an article in the current edition of 'The Spectator' by
> Christian Wolmar broadly in agreement with the decision the authorities
> have taken.

There are very few people defending WCR. They have a history of safety
failings, and each time they are given another warning to not do it
again. They had to appoint an Independent Safety Director after the
AWS/TPWS(safety system brakes) was bypassed on Tangmere (a steam engine)
during an excursion, and it went through a red light.
They were given an exemption to allow them to run coaches without door
locking, so long as they started fitting the locks, or, took mitigating
measures to stop people using the doors while in motion. One person has
since jumped off one of their trains (at low speed), and they were
caught twice in 2 months last year without adequate supervision of the
doors on their West Highland trains.
All of the other 'heritage' operating Companies who run their coaches on
the mainline have either fitted their coaches with door locks, or are in
the process of doing it. WCR have made no effort to even start to give
an acceptable plan to the Regulators, they just want to carry on as they
were, with Stewards keeping a watch on the doors, which has been shown
they cannot do correctly, or to a safe standard.
Oh, and dont think this door lock business is something new, it isnt,
its been around 20 years now, and all mainline Heritage railways have
been taking the piss and not complying, but holding off to the last
minute, as they dont want to spend any money. WCR are the stand out
crowd in that they havent even got plans to fit the door locks, as found
in their recent application for another exemption, which was rightly
refused.

Re: Jacobite suspended

<utuhbs$1qo9a$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78274&group=uk.railway#78274

From: Certes@example.org (Certes)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2024 13:08:12 +0000
 by: Certes - Tue, 26 Mar 2024 13:08 UTC

On 26/03/2024 01:04, ermintrudethecat wrote:
> Graeme Wall wrote:
>
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz7z6xnpyn6o>
>
> There is an article in the current edition of 'The Spectator' by
> Christian Wolmar broadly in agreement with the decision the authorities
> have taken. Comments are largely from the "When I Were A Lad" brigade,
> many of whom seem to think that (a) The Jacobite only travels at 25 mph
> and (b) that it is perfectly OK to fall out of a train at 25 mph.

They'll probably be doing more like 50 mph when they hit the ground
beneath the Glenfinnan Viaduct.

Re: Jacobite suspended

<RZq*IgwGz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78435&group=uk.railway#78435

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 28 Mar 2024 15:02:35 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 15:02 UTC

Alan Lee <alan@darkroom.plus.com> wrote:
> On 20/03/2024 17:53, Graeme Wall wrote:
> > <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz7z6xnpyn6o>
>
> So the empty stock move past my house is not going to happen on Monday.
> WCR are a joke, from that report it seems they have applied for another
> exemption to central door locking!
> Like they are really going to get that after their past history.
> Clearly they dont want to hire in one or two sets of air braked CDL
> stock, and another air braked loco. Their only air braked loco,
> Tangmere,is what they have been using in the last 2 months on the
> Cumbrian legs of their excursions with hired in CDL stock (Riviera
> trains I think)

I hadn't realised that WCR have such a large Mk1 / Mk2 fleet:
https://www.orr.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2023-08/nr-regulation-5-exemption-certificate-for-wcrc.pdf

I count about 125 affected vehicles. At 4 or 6 doors per vehicle that's an
awful lot of door locks to install.

They can hire in something for the Jacobite but acceding to the regulations
would render their entire fleet unusable, so I can see why it's a lot
cheaper to push back and hope an alternative resolution is found.

Theo

Re: Jacobite suspended

<rhgNN.7459$lu2.4249@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78438&group=uk.railway#78438

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 15:46:31 GMT
 by: Recliner - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 15:46 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Alan Lee <alan@darkroom.plus.com> wrote:
>> On 20/03/2024 17:53, Graeme Wall wrote:
>>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz7z6xnpyn6o>
>>
>> So the empty stock move past my house is not going to happen on Monday.
>> WCR are a joke, from that report it seems they have applied for another
>> exemption to central door locking!
>> Like they are really going to get that after their past history.
>> Clearly they dont want to hire in one or two sets of air braked CDL
>> stock, and another air braked loco. Their only air braked loco,
>> Tangmere,is what they have been using in the last 2 months on the
>> Cumbrian legs of their excursions with hired in CDL stock (Riviera
>> trains I think)
>
> I hadn't realised that WCR have such a large Mk1 / Mk2 fleet:
> https://www.orr.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2023-08/nr-regulation-5-exemption-certificate-for-wcrc.pdf
>
> I count about 125 affected vehicles. At 4 or 6 doors per vehicle that's an
> awful lot of door locks to install.

Most of those are just rusty relics. Not more than about half will have any
realistic chance of ever running on the mainline again.

> They can hire in something for the Jacobite but acceding to the regulations
> would render their entire fleet unusable, so I can see why it's a lot
> cheaper to push back and hope an alternative resolution is found.

I believe LSL previously made a £1m offer to buy WCR, and it's probably
time for Smithy to sell. Of course, he might get less if it's a distress
sale.

Re: Jacobite suspended

<uu44rf$3m686$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78439&group=uk.railway#78439

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2024 16:11:25 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Thu, 28 Mar 2024 16:11 UTC

Jacobite petition builds up a head of steam as business owner warns of
"devasting" effect of suspension

https://www.westcoasttoday.co.uk/news/jacobite-petition-builds-up-a-head-of-steam-as-business-owner-warns-of-devasting-effect-of-suspension

Re: Jacobite suspended

<l6o19bF5njmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=78532&group=uk.railway#78532

From: monstoor@spammedia.com (Robert)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2024 14:24:43 +0000
 by: Robert - Fri, 29 Mar 2024 14:24 UTC

On 28/03/2024 15:02, Theo wrote:

> I count about 125 affected vehicles. At 4 or 6 doors per vehicle that's an
> awful lot of door locks to install.
>
> They can hire in something for the Jacobite but acceding to the regulations
> would render their entire fleet unusable, so I can see why it's a lot
> cheaper to push back and hope an alternative resolution is found.

They've had those vehicles for a long time and have had many years to
bring in CDL, even on a gradual basis. Ironically, they are now offering
CDL-fitted vehicles for sale.

I have no sympathy for the company.
--
Rob
"I have never understood why it should be necessary to become irrational

Re: Jacobite suspended

<gk7SN.45532$lu2.12228@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79724&group=uk.railway#79724

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 09:40:28 GMT
 by: Recliner - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 09:40 UTC

WCR is trying it on again, appealing for the sympathy and tourist
attraction votes:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/04/11/steam-trains-face-end-line-britain-row-over-slamming-doors/

Quote, with notes from me:

Some of Britain’s last steam trains are in danger of disappearing from the
railways following a row over the door locks on 60-year-old carriages.

[Note: That's simply untrue.]

West Coast Railways, the biggest operator of steam and classic diesel
trains on the national network, said its business was in the balance
following the move by the Office of Rail and Road (ORR) to scrap an
exemption that allowed it to use traditional hinged-door carriages.

The safety watchdog banned the popular steam-hauled Jacobite train service
– dubbed the “Hogwarts Express” for its appearance in the Harry Potter
franchise – in January because the doors on its 60-year-old carriages don’t
have central locking. The ORR was concerned that passengers could open the
doors themselves while the train was moving, risking injury.

The ban threatens not just the Hogwarts Express, which has run every summer
for 30 years along the West Highland line, but also many of West Coast
Railways’s other historic trains.

The company operates 60pc of all main line heritage rolling stock in the
UK, comprising 125 coaches. Fitting new locks across the fleet would cost
an estimated £7m, a bill that commercial manager James Shuttleworth said
was both unjustified and beyond its resources.

[Note: these figures are disputed. I think the true bill would be under
£3m.]

A cross-party group of MPs backing West Coast have written to Rail Minister
Huw Merriman urging him to engage with the ORR on the matter and warning
that regulators operating unchecked “have the capacity to bring business
they regulate to a quick end”.

[Note: WCR wouldn't simply disappear. LSL would probably acquire it and fit
CDL.]

Mr Shuttleworth said: “Nobody is saying they want to compromise on safety,
but we’ve got to keep the historic ambience of the old carriages. Otherwise
nobody will want to travel in the first place.’’

Mr Shuttleworth added that the Hogwarts Express had “become a key part of
the Highland economy.”

The Jacobite train runs 300 services a year along the 41-mile route between
Fort William and Mallaig, carrying a total of 110,000 passengers.

Most are drawn by the association with the Harry Potter films: a lunchtime
Scotrail service deposited 70 people in Mallaig last week, according to Mr
Shuttleworth, whereas West Coast’s two daily trips typically bring in 700.

A petition to save the Jacobite begun by a business woman who runs the
Harry Potter merchandise outlet Haggard Alley in Mallaig has attracted more
than 3,000 signatures in a week.

The loss of the Hogwarts Express would cost an estimated £25m a year in
lost tourism revenue, depriving the Highlands not only of rail passengers
but thousands of other visitors who flock to Glenfinnan to watch the steam
engine and its rake of vintage coaches traverse the famous viaduct. A
three-coach Scotrail diesel unit is unlikely to have the same allure.

[Note: That's true, but LSL could provide safe replacement steam trains.]

West Coast lost a High Court appeal over the ORR’s ruling last December and
the regulator is now considering a revised application from the rail
company to resume operations.

The company has also requested a temporary licence to permit Jacobite
operations over the summer, but with the regulator not expected to respond
for several months at least half the season has already been lost.

In the meantime, West Coast has been forced to fully refund passengers who
bought tickets for the Hogwarts Express. Some 77,000 tickets costing
between £55 and £98 apiece were already sold for a season that should have
started last month, meaning more than £4m must be returned to customers.

West Coast said it has been singled out by the ORR as other main line
operators have an exemption to use the same carriages affected by the ban.

[Note: It was singled out, because unlike the other operators, it had no
plan to fit CDL.]

In their letter to Mr Merriman, the MPs claimed there was no safety reason
to justify the refusal to grant the temporary exemption.

[Note: Do the MPs know more about rail safety than the ORR?]

West Coast itself has operated with an exemption for the past two decades,
while similar rolling stock is also in everyday use on dozens of private
heritage railways across Britain, where running speeds limited to 25 mph
mean the central locking rule doesn’t apply. The Jacobite operates at up to
40 mph on parts of the West Highland route.

As well as the Hogwarts Express, West Coast also provides locomotives and
coaches for the Cumbrian Mountain Express and Dalesman services over the
Settle and Carlisle line. It also operates the Great Britain, which takes
nine days to tour the country and costs almost £4,000 for a premier berth.#

[Note: These trains run at up to 100mph on the main line when not
steam-hauled, and up to 75mph when steam-hauled.]

At the December court ruling, the judge upheld evidence presented by the
ORR that the cost of installing the door locks could actually be as low as
£700,000 and could be covered by a £10 increase in the ticket price of the
Jacobite service.

An ORR spokesman said: “The law states companies cannot operate rolling
stock with hinged doors for use by fare-paying passengers on the mainline,
without the means of centrally locking them in a closed position.

“Other charter heritage operators, which use the mainline railway, have
made the necessary investment to install central door locking on ‘hinged
door’ rolling stock (or have committed to do so over a transition period)
and it remains open to WCRC to do the same.”

A Department for Transport spokesman said: “The ORR is the independent rail
safety regulator, and it would therefore be inappropriate for the
department or ministers to intervene in their decision to refuse a further
exemption to West Coast Railways, which was upheld by the High Court.”

Re: Jacobite suspended

<uvbbbs$2c6cj$5@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79753&group=uk.railway#79753

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 14:01:48 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 13:01 UTC

On 12/04/2024 10:40, Recliner wrote:
> “Other charter heritage operators, which use the mainline railway, have
> made the necessary investment to install central door locking on ‘hinged
> door’ rolling stock (or have committed to do so over a transition period)
> and it remains open to WCRC to do the same.”

Says it all
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Jacobite suspended

<4pei1jlaoahcrmi97fbgmc37k4aclsvuon@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79767&group=uk.railway#79767

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2024 14:52:45 +0100
 by: Recliner - Fri, 12 Apr 2024 13:52 UTC

On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 14:01:48 +0100, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>On 12/04/2024 10:40, Recliner wrote:
>> “Other charter heritage operators, which use the mainline railway, have
>> made the necessary investment to install central door locking on ‘hinged
>> door’ rolling stock (or have committed to do so over a transition period)
>> and it remains open to WCRC to do the same.”
>>

>Says it all

Yup.

Smithy just seems determined to run his own 1:1 train set his own way, regardless of the rules set by the owner of the
track layout he runs his toys on. It's time he retired (he's 77) and sold WCR to a more competent operator with an eye
to the future.

Re: Jacobite suspended

<e111adb8cf462863ae86654aa234026f@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79847&group=uk.railway#79847

From: andrewclarke437@gmail.com (Ermintrudethecat)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 12:37:33 +0000
 by: Ermintrudethecat - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 12:37 UTC

Recliner wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 14:01:48 +0100, Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>On 12/04/2024 10:40, Recliner wrote:
>>> “Other charter heritage operators, which use the mainline railway, have
>>> made the necessary investment to install central door locking on ‘hinged
>>> door’ rolling stock (or have committed to do so over a transition period)
>>> and it remains open to WCRC to do the same.”
>>>

>>Says it all

> Yup.

> Smithy just seems determined to run his own 1:1 train set his own way, regardless of the rules set by the owner of the
> track layout he runs his toys on. It's time he retired (he's 77) and sold WCR to a more competent operator with an eye
> to the future.

I remember reading about Smithy in a certain tuppenny magazine some sixty five years ago. Over his head there was usually written "Not very bright" or else "Smiffy always gets things wrong". Could this be the same person, or at least a close relative?

Andrew and Ermintrude Clarke
Canberra

Re: Jacobite suspended

<l7vf3qF4a1qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79855&group=uk.railway#79855

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 13 Apr 2024 13:19:54 GMT
 by: Marland - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 13:19 UTC

Ermintrudethecat <andrewclarke437@gmail.com> wrote:
> Recliner wrote:

>>> Says it all
>
>> Yup.
>
>> Smithy just seems determined to run his own 1:1 train set his own way,
>> regardless of the rules set by the owner of the
>> track layout he runs his toys on. It's time he retired (he's 77) and
>> sold WCR to a more competent operator with an eye
>> to the future.
>
> I remember reading about Smithy in a certain tuppenny magazine some sixty
> five years ago. Over his head there was usually written "Not very bright"
> or else "Smiffy always gets things wrong". Could this be the same person,
> or at least a close relative?

He was /is a Bash Street Kid in the Beano.

GH

Re: Jacobite suspended

<uve728$32cb2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79863&group=uk.railway#79863

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:06:48 +0100
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 15:06 UTC

On 13/04/2024 13:37, Ermintrudethecat wrote:
> Recliner wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 12 Apr 2024 14:01:48 +0100, Graeme Wall
>> <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Says it all
>
>> Yup.
>
>> Smithy just seems determined to run his own 1:1 train set his own way,
>> regardless of the rules set by the owner of the
>> track layout he runs his toys on. It's time he retired (he's 77) and
>> sold WCR to a more competent operator with an eye
>> to the future.
>
> I remember reading about Smithy in a certain tuppenny magazine some
> sixty five years ago. Over his head there was usually written "Not very
> bright" or else "Smiffy always gets things wrong". Could this be the
> same person, or at least a close relative?
>
> Andrew and Ermintrude Clarke
> Canberra

Be just dandy if it were true…
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Jacobite suspended

<1soqek-9ol.ln1@castle.rilynn.me.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79876&group=uk.railway#79876

From: usenet@rilynn.me.uk (Roger Lynn)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:35:45 +0100
 by: Roger Lynn - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 16:35 UTC

On 12/04/2024 10:40, Recliner wrote:
> WCR is trying it on again, appealing for the sympathy and tourist
> attraction votes:
>
> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/04/11/steam-trains-face-end-line-britain-row-over-slamming-doors/
>
> Quote, with notes from me:

[snip]

> Mr Shuttleworth added that the Hogwarts Express had “become a key part of
> the Highland economy.”
>
> The Jacobite train runs 300 services a year along the 41-mile route between
> Fort William and Mallaig, carrying a total of 110,000 passengers.
>
> Most are drawn by the association with the Harry Potter films: a lunchtime
> Scotrail service deposited 70 people in Mallaig last week, according to Mr

From a sample of one train. Out of four. In April.

> Shuttleworth, whereas West Coast’s two daily trips typically bring in 700.

When they run two trains, so in the peak season.

Re: Jacobite suspended

<uvefev$3446q$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79877&group=uk.railway#79877

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:30:07 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:PoVGbwY1Rf32ew5dRcotfOYX+O0=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 17:30 UTC

Roger Lynn <usenet@rilynn.me.uk> wrote:
> On 12/04/2024 10:40, Recliner wrote:
>> WCR is trying it on again, appealing for the sympathy and tourist
>> attraction votes:
>>
>> https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/04/11/steam-trains-face-end-line-britain-row-over-slamming-doors/
>>
>> Quote, with notes from me:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Mr Shuttleworth added that the Hogwarts Express had “become a key part of
>> the Highland economy.”
>>
>> The Jacobite train runs 300 services a year along the 41-mile route between
>> Fort William and Mallaig, carrying a total of 110,000 passengers.
>>
>> Most are drawn by the association with the Harry Potter films: a lunchtime
>> Scotrail service deposited 70 people in Mallaig last week, according to Mr
>
> From a sample of one train. Out of four. In April.
>
>> Shuttleworth, whereas West Coast’s two daily trips typically bring in 700.
>
> When they run two trains, so in the peak season.

It’s a shame Scotrail don’t get their act together to at least run longer
trains and possibly buy and run some panoramic trains like the RhB .

Re: Jacobite suspended

<uvet6h$371rf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79881&group=uk.railway#79881

From: alan@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:24:31 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 21:24 UTC

On 20/03/2024 17:53, Graeme Wall wrote:
> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz7z6xnpyn6o>

And, in other news, the stock and one loco went North today up the WCML
heading toward Fort William.
I didnt get a chance to see it passing, but a photo online shows a rake
of maroon Mk.1 stock behind a Black 5, 45212, which is vacuum braked
only. I cannot see the ORR allowing WCR to run with passengers, so have
they hired in some maroon stock with CDL?
Or another stunt by WCR to try to put pressure on the ORR?

Re: Jacobite suspended

<uvetqc$3756d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79882&group=uk.railway#79882

From: alan@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:35:08 +0100
 by: Alan Lee - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 21:35 UTC

On 13/04/2024 22:24, Alan Lee wrote:
> On 20/03/2024 17:53, Graeme Wall wrote:
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz7z6xnpyn6o>
>

> And, in other news, the stock and one loco went North today up the WCML
> heading toward Fort William.
> I didnt get a chance to see it passing, but a photo online shows a rake
> of maroon Mk.1 stock behind a Black 5, 45212, which is vacuum braked
> only. I cannot see the ORR allowing WCR to run with passengers, so have
> they hired in some maroon stock with CDL?
> Or another stunt by WCR to try to put pressure on the ORR?

And, after Googling it, they have been given another temporary licence,
one service a day, less passengers per train. Starts on Monday.
So CDL is not a safety critical item after all?

Re: Jacobite suspended

<2jDSN.453888$7uxe.276168@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79883&group=uk.railway#79883

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:03:42 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:03 UTC

Alan Lee <alan@darkroom.plus.com> wrote:
> On 20/03/2024 17:53, Graeme Wall wrote:
>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz7z6xnpyn6o>
>

> And, in other news, the stock and one loco went North today up the WCML
> heading toward Fort William.
> I didnt get a chance to see it passing, but a photo online shows a rake
> of maroon Mk.1 stock behind a Black 5, 45212, which is vacuum braked
> only..

It looks like a rake of four Mk 2 carriages, a Mk 1 buffet and a Mk 1 loco
support coach. Perhaps the Mk 2 carriages have CDL?

> I cannot see the ORR allowing WCR to run with passengers, so have
> they hired in some maroon stock with CDL?
> Or another stunt by WCR to try to put pressure on the ORR?

No, Jacobite services do resume with the short train on Monday.

https://westcoastrailways.co.uk/news/the-jacobite-back-in-service

Re: Jacobite suspended

<TjDSN.21617$RQ2.20517@fx01.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79884&group=uk.railway#79884

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:04:35 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:04 UTC

Alan Lee <alan@darkroom.plus.com> wrote:
> On 13/04/2024 22:24, Alan Lee wrote:
>> On 20/03/2024 17:53, Graeme Wall wrote:
>>> <https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz7z6xnpyn6o>
>>

>> And, in other news, the stock and one loco went North today up the WCML
>> heading toward Fort William.
>> I didnt get a chance to see it passing, but a photo online shows a rake
>> of maroon Mk.1 stock behind a Black 5, 45212, which is vacuum braked
>> only. I cannot see the ORR allowing WCR to run with passengers, so have
>> they hired in some maroon stock with CDL?
>> Or another stunt by WCR to try to put pressure on the ORR?
>>

> And, after Googling it, they have been given another temporary licence,
> one service a day, less passengers per train. Starts on Monday.
> So CDL is not a safety critical item after all?

Or do the four Mk 2 coaches have CDL?

Re: Jacobite suspended

<uvg1m2$3ha3e$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79889&group=uk.railway#79889

From: mail@michaelhumphrey.me.uk (Mike Humphrey)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 07:47:15 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Mike Humphrey - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 07:47 UTC

On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:35:08 +0100, Alan Lee wrote:
> And, after Googling it, they have been given another temporary licence,
> one service a day, less passengers per train. Starts on Monday.
> So CDL is not a safety critical item after all?

It depends on the conditions. Plenty of heritage lines run trains with no
central door locking. Some run trams that don't even have doors! But they
run at low speed, and usually on lines without major civil engineering.
The Jacobite runs much faster, and over rugged terrain (and Glenfinnan
Viaduct), so the risk from someone falling out is higher.

WCR contends that manual door locks and stewards are sufficient to avert
this risk, ORR has decided it's not sufficient. It's not clear what's in
the temporary license, but it's possible "less passengers per train" means
less coaches, and so more stewards per door. It's also likely that they've
specified more training and supervision. But ORR (and their predecessors)
don't like relying solely on human supervision for safety, so the issue is
far from settled.

Mike

Re: Jacobite suspended

<uvg2p9$3hmeq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79890&group=uk.railway#79890

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 08:06:01 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:5RUyqbRA5vkZP6mERfoZ8SVS35c=
 by: Tweed - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 08:06 UTC

Mike Humphrey <mail@michaelhumphrey.me.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:35:08 +0100, Alan Lee wrote:
>> And, after Googling it, they have been given another temporary licence,
>> one service a day, less passengers per train. Starts on Monday.
>> So CDL is not a safety critical item after all?
>
> It depends on the conditions. Plenty of heritage lines run trains with no
> central door locking. Some run trams that don't even have doors! But they
> run at low speed, and usually on lines without major civil engineering.
> The Jacobite runs much faster, and over rugged terrain (and Glenfinnan
> Viaduct), so the risk from someone falling out is higher.
>
> WCR contends that manual door locks and stewards are sufficient to avert
> this risk, ORR has decided it's not sufficient. It's not clear what's in
> the temporary license, but it's possible "less passengers per train" means
> less coaches, and so more stewards per door. It's also likely that they've
> specified more training and supervision. But ORR (and their predecessors)
> don't like relying solely on human supervision for safety, so the issue is
> far from settled.
>
> Mike

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2024/04/scotlands-jacobite-steam-train-services-to-resume.html

Apparently they will be running a rake with CDL.

I was on a Saphos train yesterday with MK1s with CDL, so it can be done.
Also a single diagonal bar across the door drop light to prevent people
hanging out, but with enough room for the staff to reach the external door
handle. There’s no internal release, except for an emergency system behind
a break to access panel above the door.

Re: Jacobite suspended

<drNSN.455428$7uxe.44875@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=79892&group=uk.railway#79892

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:35:05 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sun, 14 Apr 2024 09:35 UTC

Mike Humphrey <mail@michaelhumphrey.me.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Apr 2024 22:35:08 +0100, Alan Lee wrote:
>> And, after Googling it, they have been given another temporary licence,
>> one service a day, less passengers per train. Starts on Monday.
>> So CDL is not a safety critical item after all?
>
> It depends on the conditions. Plenty of heritage lines run trains with no
> central door locking. Some run trams that don't even have doors! But they
> run at low speed, and usually on lines without major civil engineering.
> The Jacobite runs much faster, and over rugged terrain (and Glenfinnan
> Viaduct), so the risk from someone falling out is higher.
>
> WCR contends that manual door locks and stewards are sufficient to avert
> this risk, ORR has decided it's not sufficient. It's not clear what's in
> the temporary license, but it's possible "less passengers per train" means
> less coaches, and so more stewards per door. It's also likely that they've
> specified more training and supervision.

It means a short train, with four Mk 2 passenger carriages with CDL and a
Mk 1 buffet (presumably with its doors locked out of use, or constantly
supervised).

> But ORR (and their predecessors)
> don't like relying solely on human supervision for safety, so the issue is
> far from settled.

It looks like WCR has conceded defeat.