In 1880 the French captured Detroit but gave it back ... they couldn't get parts.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Pre-central locking doors

SubjectAuthor
* Pre-central locking doorsJMB99
`* Re: Pre-central locking doorsColinR
 +* Re: Pre-central locking doorsRecliner
 |`* Re: Pre-central locking doorsSam Wilson
 | +* Re: Pre-central locking doorsMarland
 | |+- Re: Pre-central locking doorsGraeme Wall
 | |`* Re: Pre-central locking doorsTheo
 | | `- Re: Pre-central locking doorsBevan Price
 | `* Re: Pre-central locking doorsRecliner
 |  `* Re: Pre-central locking doorsSam Wilson
 |   +* Re: Pre-central locking doorsTweed
 |   |`- Re: Pre-central locking doorsMarland
 |   `- Re: Pre-central locking doorsRecliner
 `- Re: Pre-central locking doorsGraeme Wall

1
Pre-central locking doors

<usfftf$1q6sc$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77101&group=uk.railway#77101

From: mb@nospam.net (JMB99)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Pre-central locking doors
Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:55:11 +0000
 by: JMB99 - Fri, 8 Mar 2024 16:55 UTC

I was just editing my pictures of Rev. Railton's grave and looked up the
contemporary report of his death.

Oban Times and Argyllshire Advertiser - Saturday 09 July 1955
FORT WILLIAM NEWS
THE LATE REV: D. RAILTON
Onich
Rev. David Raiiton, Ard Rua, Onich, was killed near Fort William railway
station on Friday morning, when he fell out of a railway carriage while
it was in motion.
Mr Railton, who was 70 years of age, and had retired from Liverpool in
1946 was returning home from Battle Abbey, Sussex, where he had been
ministering for the past month. He had been talking to a man in the
railway carriage when he leaned against the door which swung open and he
fell out.
It was at Mr Railton's suggestion that the tomb of the Unknown Soldier
was placed in Westminster Abbey. He got the idea while burying an
unnamed soldier in France in the First ‘World War and on his return to
this country made the suggestion to the ‘Dean of Westminster.
Mr Railton is survived by one son and four daughters, one of whom, Miss
Ruth Railton, is the conductor and founder of the National Youth
Orchestra of Great Britain. His father was co-founder with Genera! Booth
of the Salvation Army.

Re: Pre-central locking doors

<ushk52$2af1k$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77169&group=uk.railway#77169

From: rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Pre-central locking doors
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 12:19:47 +0000
 by: ColinR - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 12:19 UTC

On 08/03/2024 16:55, JMB99 wrote:
> I was just editing my pictures of Rev. Railton's grave and looked up the
> contemporary report of his death.
>

> Oban Times and Argyllshire Advertiser - Saturday 09 July 1955
> FORT WILLIAM NEWS
> THE LATE REV: D. RAILTON
> Onich
> Rev. David Raiiton, Ard Rua, Onich, was killed near Fort William railway
> station on Friday morning, when he fell out of a railway carriage while
> it was in motion.
> Mr Railton, who was 70 years of age, and had retired from Liverpool in
> 1946 was returning home from Battle Abbey, Sussex, where he had been
> ministering for the past month. He had been talking to a man in the
> railway carriage when he leaned against the door which swung open and he
> fell out.

Anything mechanical can fail, whether it be not fully fastened latch in
1955 or a failed latch/lock these days.

However, although I am open to correction, the main problem was that the
door opened outward. Had it been an inward opening door or a sliding
door, a failed latch would not have been a problem. Are current doors
outward opening??

--
Colin

Re: Pre-central locking doors

<nEYGN.238028$ps1.6508@fx12.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77173&group=uk.railway#77173

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sat, 09 Mar 2024 12:31:15 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 12:31 UTC

ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:
> On 08/03/2024 16:55, JMB99 wrote:
>> I was just editing my pictures of Rev. Railton's grave and looked up the
>> contemporary report of his death.
>>

>> Oban Times and Argyllshire Advertiser - Saturday 09 July 1955
>> FORT WILLIAM NEWS
>> THE LATE REV: D. RAILTON
>> Onich
>> Rev. David Raiiton, Ard Rua, Onich, was killed near Fort William railway
>> station on Friday morning, when he fell out of a railway carriage while
>> it was in motion.
>> Mr Railton, who was 70 years of age, and had retired from Liverpool in
>> 1946 was returning home from Battle Abbey, Sussex, where he had been
>> ministering for the past month. He had been talking to a man in the
>> railway carriage when he leaned against the door which swung open and he
>> fell out.
>
> Anything mechanical can fail, whether it be not fully fastened latch in
> 1955 or a failed latch/lock these days.
>
> However, although I am open to correction, the main problem was that the
> door opened outward. Had it been an inward opening door or a sliding
> door, a failed latch would not have been a problem. Are current doors
> outward opening??

Current doors slide, but Mk 1/2/3 doors were outward opening.

Re: Pre-central locking doors

<ushm0c$2aqr1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77175&group=uk.railway#77175

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2024 12:51:24 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 9 Mar 2024 12:51 UTC

On 09/03/2024 12:19, ColinR wrote:
> On 08/03/2024 16:55, JMB99 wrote:
>> I was just editing my pictures of Rev. Railton's grave and looked up
>> the contemporary report of his death.
>>

>> Oban Times and Argyllshire Advertiser - Saturday 09 July 1955
>> FORT WILLIAM NEWS
>> THE LATE REV: D. RAILTON
>> Onich
>> Rev. David Raiiton, Ard Rua, Onich, was killed near Fort William
>> railway station on Friday morning, when he fell out of a railway
>> carriage while it was in motion.
>> Mr Railton, who was 70 years of age, and had retired from Liverpool in
>> 1946 was returning home from Battle Abbey, Sussex, where he had been
>> ministering for the past month. He had been talking to a man in the
>> railway carriage when he leaned against the door which swung open and
>> he fell out.
>
> Anything mechanical can fail, whether it be not fully fastened latch in
> 1955 or a failed latch/lock these days.
>
> However, although I am open to correction, the main problem was that the
> door opened outward. Had it been an inward opening door or a sliding
> door, a failed latch would not have been a problem. Are current doors
> outward opening??

Most are sliding or plug.
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Pre-central locking doors

<usjumq$2t1g6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77250&group=uk.railway#77250

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 09:32:10 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:zW3eiCTYbtvOulSTXUD2zbbEuVk=
 by: Sam Wilson - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 09:32 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 08/03/2024 16:55, JMB99 wrote:
>>> I was just editing my pictures of Rev. Railton's grave and looked up the
>>> contemporary report of his death.
>>>

>>> Oban Times and Argyllshire Advertiser - Saturday 09 July 1955
>>> FORT WILLIAM NEWS
>>> THE LATE REV: D. RAILTON
>>> Onich
>>> Rev. David Raiiton, Ard Rua, Onich, was killed near Fort William railway
>>> station on Friday morning, when he fell out of a railway carriage while
>>> it was in motion.
>>> Mr Railton, who was 70 years of age, and had retired from Liverpool in
>>> 1946 was returning home from Battle Abbey, Sussex, where he had been
>>> ministering for the past month. He had been talking to a man in the
>>> railway carriage when he leaned against the door which swung open and he
>>> fell out.
>>
>> Anything mechanical can fail, whether it be not fully fastened latch in
>> 1955 or a failed latch/lock these days.
>>
>> However, although I am open to correction, the main problem was that the
>> door opened outward. Had it been an inward opening door or a sliding
>> door, a failed latch would not have been a problem. Are current doors
>> outward opening??
>
> Current doors slide, but Mk 1/2/3 doors were outward opening.

As Graeme has pointed out in a parallel posting some modern doors are
sliding plug doors, which could potentially pop outwards if unlocked, but
would then have to slide to allow a body to pass through. That might not
be impossible.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Pre-central locking doors

<l55i8cFd0phU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77262&group=uk.railway#77262

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 10 Mar 2024 11:01:32 GMT
 by: Marland - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 11:01 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Anything mechanical can fail, whether it be not fully fastened latch in
>>> 1955 or a failed latch/lock these days.
>>>
>>> However, although I am open to correction, the main problem was that the
>>> door opened outward. Had it been an inward opening door or a sliding
>>> door, a failed latch would not have been a problem. Are current doors
>>> outward opening??
>>
>> Current doors slide, but Mk 1/2/3 doors were outward opening.
>
> As Graeme has pointed out in a parallel posting some modern doors are
> sliding plug doors, which could potentially pop outwards if unlocked, but
> would then have to slide to allow a body to pass through. That might not
> be impossible.
>
> Sam

Has Boing built any rolling stock recently?

Supplementary. What happened to the 2nd hand unit that was imported by
Manchester to see if
a quantity of them available at knockdown price could fulfil a gap?
I remember seeing in Southampton Docks.

GH

Re: Pre-central locking doors

<usk449$2u4nt$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77264&group=uk.railway#77264

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 11:04:41 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 11:04 UTC

On 10/03/2024 11:01, Marland wrote:
> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Current doors slide, but Mk 1/2/3 doors were outward opening.
>>
>> As Graeme has pointed out in a parallel posting some modern doors are
>> sliding plug doors, which could potentially pop outwards if unlocked, but
>> would then have to slide to allow a body to pass through. That might not
>> be impossible.
>>
>> Sam
>>

> Has Boing built any rolling stock recently?

Last was some trams for Boston wasn't it?

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: Pre-central locking doors

<Rry*pD2Ez@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77270&group=uk.railway#77270

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 10 Mar 2024 11:45:03 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 11:45 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Supplementary. What happened to the 2nd hand unit that was imported by
> Manchester to see if
> a quantity of them available at knockdown price could fulfil a gap?
> I remember seeing in Southampton Docks.

Sat at Derby until 2016 and then scrapped, apparently.

Seems it had been kept on site of these folks:
https://www.set-gb.com/index.php/innovation/wheel-motor

Theo

Re: Pre-central locking doors

<%ihHN.183$QUO3.97@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77274&group=uk.railway#77274

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 12:02:03 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 12:02 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> ColinR <rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Anything mechanical can fail, whether it be not fully fastened latch in
>>> 1955 or a failed latch/lock these days.
>>>
>>> However, although I am open to correction, the main problem was that the
>>> door opened outward. Had it been an inward opening door or a sliding
>>> door, a failed latch would not have been a problem. Are current doors
>>> outward opening??
>>
>> Current doors slide, but Mk 1/2/3 doors were outward opening.
>
> As Graeme has pointed out in a parallel posting some modern doors are
> sliding plug doors, which could potentially pop outwards if unlocked, but
> would then have to slide to allow a body to pass through. That might not
> be impossible.

I think that the sliding part couldn't happen without power being applied.
So, even if a mechanical lock failed, and the door partially popped out, it
couldn't slide into a dangerous open position.

Re: Pre-central locking doors

<usl00u$33urb$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77306&group=uk.railway#77306

From: bevanprice666@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:00:46 +0000
 by: Bevan Price - Sun, 10 Mar 2024 19:00 UTC

On 10/03/2024 11:45, Theo wrote:
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Supplementary. What happened to the 2nd hand unit that was imported by
>> Manchester to see if
>> a quantity of them available at knockdown price could fulfil a gap?
>> I remember seeing in Southampton Docks.
>
> Sat at Derby until 2016 and then scrapped, apparently.
>
> Seems it had been kept on site of these folks:
> https://www.set-gb.com/index.php/innovation/wheel-motor
>
> Theo

Some sources claimed that it was found to be out of gauge to work on
Metrolink.

Re: Pre-central locking doors

<usmhko$3he5a$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77328&group=uk.railway#77328

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 09:07:36 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:BUoHQXH890MnhnR62YQccihhNGI=
 by: Sam Wilson - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 09:07 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Current doors slide, but Mk 1/2/3 doors were outward opening.
>>
>> As Graeme has pointed out in a parallel posting some modern doors are
>> sliding plug doors, which could potentially pop outwards if unlocked, but
>> would then have to slide to allow a body to pass through. That might not
>> be impossible.
>
> I think that the sliding part couldn't happen without power being applied.
> So, even if a mechanical lock failed, and the door partially popped out, it
> couldn't slide into a dangerous open position.

One would like to think the mechanism would have been designed that way,
but I’d like to be sure before leaning against one.

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: Pre-central locking doors

<usmn1h$3ii8m$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77335&group=uk.railway#77335

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 10:39:45 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:DxUJ9pa2U+bw4cr5fY0m5iBbO28=
 by: Tweed - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 10:39 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> As Graeme has pointed out in a parallel posting some modern doors are
>>> sliding plug doors, which could potentially pop outwards if unlocked, but
>>> would then have to slide to allow a body to pass through. That might not
>>> be impossible.
>>
>> I think that the sliding part couldn't happen without power being applied.
>> So, even if a mechanical lock failed, and the door partially popped out, it
>> couldn't slide into a dangerous open position.
>
> One would like to think the mechanism would have been designed that way,
> but I’d like to be sure before leaning against one.
>
> Sam

Pah! Closed doors - who needs them? Pre fall of the Wall days I travelled
on a GDR Berlin underground train where some of the doors didn’t bother
shutting at all.

Re: Pre-central locking doors

<gZBHN.1018$QUO3.772@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77336&group=uk.railway#77336

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:32:28 GMT
 by: Recliner - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 11:32 UTC

Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> As Graeme has pointed out in a parallel posting some modern doors are
>>> sliding plug doors, which could potentially pop outwards if unlocked, but
>>> would then have to slide to allow a body to pass through. That might not
>>> be impossible.
>>
>> I think that the sliding part couldn't happen without power being applied.
>> So, even if a mechanical lock failed, and the door partially popped out, it
>> couldn't slide into a dangerous open position.
>
> One would like to think the mechanism would have been designed that way,
> but I’d like to be sure before leaning against one.

I don't recall any instances of powered sliding doors spontaneously opening
through mechanical failure. Of course, there have been instances of trains
running with some or all doors accidentally opened, whether because of
systems or human failure.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/report-062019-train-travelling-with-doors-open-on-the-jubilee-line

Re: Pre-central locking doors

<l58gopFqsg8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=77348&group=uk.railway#77348

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 11 Mar 2024 13:54:33 GMT
 by: Marland - Mon, 11 Mar 2024 13:54 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I think that the sliding part couldn't happen without power being applied.
>>> So, even if a mechanical lock failed, and the door partially popped out, it
>>> couldn't slide into a dangerous open position.
>>
>> One would like to think the mechanism would have been designed that way,
>> but I’d like to be sure before leaning against one.
>>
>> Sam
>>

> Pah! Closed doors - who needs them? Pre fall of the Wall days I travelled
> on a GDR Berlin underground train where some of the doors didn’t bother
> shutting at all.

My mother remembers doing that on London Transport, the H stock lasted till
the 1950’s.
The H designator meant Handworked doors.

GH

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Pre-central locking doors