From: martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Transport for Wales (TfW) to extend its Penalty Fares scheme
Date: Sat, 2 Mar 2024 19:07:03 +0000
 by: Coffee - Sat, 2 Mar 2024 19:07 UTC

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2024/03/transport-for-wales-to-extend-its-penalty-fares-scheme.html

TfW is one of those companies whose ticket machine wont flog railcard
discounted tickets until the second they become valid.

Coincidently at Cogan railway station there is a service towards Cardiff
which is timetabled to depart at this same second. I'm looking forward
to claiming compensation when I'm unable to catch this service due to
being unable to purchase a ticket with sufficient time. It'll be
interesting so see TfW's reaction.

If I choose a suitable connecting journey I'll be an hour late.

Re: Transport for Wales (TfW) to extend its Penalty Fares scheme

<FHjJkIjasZ5lFAH5@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76721&group=uk.railway#76721

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 09:57:46 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 09:57 UTC

In message <urvtco$21aeg$1@dont-email.me>, at 19:07:03 on Sat, 2 Mar
2024, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2024/03/transport-for-wales-to-extend-its-p
>enalty-fares-scheme.html
>
>TfW is one of those companies whose ticket machine wont flog railcard
>discounted tickets until the second they become valid.

I wonder how many are programmed with the various easements, which are
designed to assist passengers with off-peak fares when there's a train
that departs 5 minutes before, or 55mins after, the umbrella restriction
time.

--
Roland Perry

Re: Transport for Wales (TfW) to extend its Penalty Fares scheme

<us46n2$33972$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76723&group=uk.railway#76723

From: martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:10:42 +0000
 by: Coffee - Mon, 4 Mar 2024 10:10 UTC

On 04/03/2024 09:57, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <urvtco$21aeg$1@dont-email.me>, at 19:07:03 on Sat, 2 Mar
> 2024, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> remarked:
>> https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2024/03/transport-for-wales-to-extend-its-p
>> enalty-fares-scheme.html
>>
>> TfW is one of those companies whose ticket machine wont flog railcard
>> discounted tickets until the second they become valid.
>
> I wonder how many are programmed with the various easements, which are
> designed to assist passengers with off-peak fares when there's a train
> that departs 5 minutes before, or 55mins after, the umbrella restriction
> time.

I remain to be convinced they'd NOT programmed to ensure you purchase
the cheapest fare for your journey.

>> Coincidently at Cogan railway station there is a service towards
>> Cardiff which is timetabled to depart at this same second.  I'm
>> looking forward to claiming compensation when I'm unable to catch this
>> service due to being unable to purchase a ticket with sufficient
>> time.  It'll be interesting so see TfW's reaction.
>>
>> If I choose a suitable connecting journey I'll be an hour late.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Transport for Wales (TfW) to extend its Penalty Fares scheme