Someone is speaking well of you. How unusual!

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to end

SubjectAuthor
* Shropshire to London direct rail service to endGraeme Wall
`* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endRoger Lynn
 +- Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endRecliner
 `* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endWeather or not
  `* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endCertes
   `* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endRecliner
    +* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endTheo
    |`* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endRoger Lynn
    | +* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endCoffee
    | |`- Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endRecliner
    | +- Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endTheo
    | `* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endWeather or not
    |  +* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endRecliner
    |  |`* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endGraeme Wall
    |  | `- Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endRecliner
    |  `* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endTheo
    |   `* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endCoffee
    |    +* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endRecliner
    |    |+* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endGraeme Wall
    |    ||`- Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endRecliner
    |    |+* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endRoger Lynn
    |    ||`* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endRecliner
    |    || `* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endRoger Lynn
    |    ||  `- Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endRecliner
    |    |`* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endCoffee
    |    | `- Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endRecliner
    |    `* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endTheo
    |     `- Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endRecliner
    `* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endRolf Mantel
     `* Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to endAlan Lee
      `- Re: WSMRRecliner

Pages:12
Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to end

<1qpmtit0vmm13gjs0l5j7t0k17sn25f767@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76282&group=uk.railway#76282

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to end
References: <ur4rnk$35285$1@dont-email.me> <3jkkak-om8.ln1@castle.rilynn.me.uk> <l3q43bFkl4uU1@mid.individual.net> <ur8mlf$5383$1@dont-email.me> <ZgRBN.39783$Sav4.39428@fx01.ams1> <u-e*w4FDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <9okpak-olh.ln1@castle.rilynn.me.uk> <l3vd9mFg020U1@mid.individual.net> <bGn*W1SDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <urfeps$1s1ra$1@dont-email.me> <0ehmtih28lq3suf8tvp1faielpeo5m28cn@4ax.com> <bo4sak-jdl.ln1@castle.rilynn.me.uk>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 16:16:01 +0000
 by: Recliner - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 16:16 UTC

On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 15:59:38 +0000, Roger Lynn <usenet@rilynn.me.uk> wrote:

>On 25/02/2024 13:51, Recliner wrote:

>>>Both Network Rail and HMG will claim there are insufficient paths
>>>available no matter if that's true or not so that's all rather academic.
>>
>> HMG doesn't determine the availability of paths. And they shouldn't be a problem via that round-about route.
>
>There are a lots of Enhanced Permissible Speed restrictions on the fast
>lines south of Nuneaton, which could affect the availability of paths for
>non-tilt stock.

Doesn't 110mph stock consume fewer paths than 125mph stock? But this might soon be academic, as apparently Avanti is
running an investigation with NR into raising line speeds wherever possible for non-tilt stock, as it will soon be
replacing its 221s with non-tilting Hitachi trains.

Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to end

<2vpmtip6vigbln2eok7mpppuicb1uthnui@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76283&group=uk.railway#76283

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
References: <ur4rnk$35285$1@dont-email.me> <3jkkak-om8.ln1@castle.rilynn.me.uk> <l3q43bFkl4uU1@mid.individual.net> <ur8mlf$5383$1@dont-email.me> <ZgRBN.39783$Sav4.39428@fx01.ams1> <u-e*w4FDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <9okpak-olh.ln1@castle.rilynn.me.uk> <l3vd9mFg020U1@mid.individual.net> <bGn*W1SDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <urfeps$1s1ra$1@dont-email.me> <dGn*-KTDz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 16:18:09 +0000
 by: Recliner - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 16:18 UTC

On 25 Feb 2024 16:04:15 +0000 (GMT), Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:

>Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
>> On 25/02/2024 12:42, Theo wrote:
>> > So I suppose the question there is: does a station with a direct service to
>> > London (and Wolves, Walsall, Wales, etc) offer much over going into New
>> > Street and out again?
>>
>> Both Network Rail and HMG will claim there are insufficient paths
>> available no matter if that's true or not so that's all rather academic.
>
>I mean is a direct service to those places attractive for Sutton Coldfield
>pax over taking a cross-city train to New St and changing onto Avanti or WMR?
>
>From Aldridge to London/etc it appears to involve at least a bus and two
>trains, so I can see the attraction of a new station there.
>
>Separately to note WSMR would offer a regular service on the Wolverhampton to
>Walsall line, which would also be crowd pleasing to WM politicians.

Yes, I note that the 'M' in its name stands for Midlands. In other words, it will serve the Midlands, not just run
through the area.

Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to end

<j9jsak-djt.ln1@castle.rilynn.me.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76288&group=uk.railway#76288

From: usenet@rilynn.me.uk (Roger Lynn)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:07:46 +0000
 by: Roger Lynn - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:07 UTC

On 25/02/2024 16:16, Recliner wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 15:59:38 +0000, Roger Lynn <usenet@rilynn.me.uk> wrote:

>>> HMG doesn't determine the availability of paths. And they shouldn't be a problem via that round-about route.
>>
>>There are a lot of Enhanced Permissible Speed restrictions on the fast
>>lines south of Nuneaton, which could affect the availability of paths for
>>non-tilt stock.
>
> Doesn't 110mph stock consume fewer paths than 125mph stock? But this might soon be academic, as apparently Avanti is
> running an investigation with NR into raising line speeds wherever possible for non-tilt stock, as it will soon be
> replacing its 221s with non-tilting Hitachi trains.

I would assume that it's best to run at the same speed as the trains before
and after you. Maybe they could be flighted with the 110 mph stopping trains
to Crewe?

Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to end

<4NNCN.309565$c1y8.205277@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76289&group=uk.railway#76289

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:53:20 GMT
 by: Recliner - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 20:53 UTC

Roger Lynn <usenet@rilynn.me.uk> wrote:
> On 25/02/2024 16:16, Recliner wrote:

>>> There are a lot of Enhanced Permissible Speed restrictions on the fast
>>> lines south of Nuneaton, which could affect the availability of paths for
>>> non-tilt stock.
>>
>> Doesn't 110mph stock consume fewer paths than 125mph stock? But this
>> might soon be academic, as apparently Avanti is
>> running an investigation with NR into raising line speeds wherever
>> possible for non-tilt stock, as it will soon be
>> replacing its 221s with non-tilting Hitachi trains.
>
> I would assume that it's best to run at the same speed as the trains before
> and after you. Maybe they could be flighted with the 110 mph stopping trains
> to Crewe?

Yes, very likely, until/unless they're allowed to run at 125mph.

Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to end

<urhmuf$2ffp1$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76294&group=uk.railway#76294

From: martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 09:51:09 +0000
 by: Coffee - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 09:51 UTC

On 25/02/2024 13:51, Recliner wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Feb 2024 13:19:56 +0000, Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:

>>> That's Sutton Coldfield Town, closed 1925. There was another station,
>>> Sutton Park, which closed 1965. The station building was more or less
>>> intact in 1980 and finally demolished in 1999. The goods shed remains:
>>> https://maps.app.goo.gl/LtjfmbQsHCF3mk3R8
>>>
>>> as does the Town station building:
>>> https://maps.app.goo.gl/wzUXMtkmNsVbcbrL7
>>>
>>> So I suppose the question there is: does a station with a direct service to
>>> London (and Wolves, Walsall, Wales, etc) offer much over going into New
>>> Street and out again?
>>
>> Both Network Rail and HMG will claim there are insufficient paths
>> available no matter if that's true or not so that's all rather academic.
>
> HMG doesn't determine the availability of paths. And they shouldn't be a problem via that round-about route.

When does the truth stop this HMG?

Re: Shropshire to London direct rail service to end

<SkZCN.309571$c1y8.76551@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76300&group=uk.railway#76300

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:02:26 GMT
 by: Recliner - Mon, 26 Feb 2024 10:02 UTC

Coffee <martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk> wrote:
> On 25/02/2024 13:51, Recliner wrote:

>>> Both Network Rail and HMG will claim there are insufficient paths
>>> available no matter if that's true or not so that's all rather academic.
>>
>> HMG doesn't determine the availability of paths. And they shouldn't be a
>> problem via that round-about route.
>
> When does the truth stop this HMG?

What's special about *this* HMG?

The current SoS favours open access operators, so this government won't get
in WSMR's way. But that may not be true of the next one.