From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Scotrail smartcard ticketing
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 16:34:03 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:CSh7jKXshJIJDmUKJqHxyLmByIY=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 16:34 UTC

Am up in Glasgow and am experimenting with the Scotrail iPhone app. I need
to travel on a Scotrail suburban service tomorrow so have purchased a
return on the app. The app allows me to register a Smartcard. Happily it
accepts my Glasgow subway card serial number. Having selected the option to
collect on my Smartcard I’m told I can load the ticket onto my Smartcard at
the station (via a reader or ticket machine) after three hours. Why not
instantly? Happily, I can also hold the Smartcard up to my phone and load
the ticket on straight away, which I have done. This latter option seems
quite handy as I don’t have to bother with picking up a paper ticket from a
machine and I don’t need to worry about my phone getting broken/flat
battery etc. I can check what is on the Smartcard with my phone.

Re: Scotrail smartcard ticketing

<S6h0m5G2pY2lFAOY@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76237&group=uk.railway#76237

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Scotrail smartcard ticketing
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 06:19:34 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 06:19 UTC

In message <urahdr$kon7$1@dont-email.me>, at 16:34:03 on Fri, 23 Feb
2024, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>Am up in Glasgow and am experimenting with the Scotrail iPhone app. I need
>to travel on a Scotrail suburban service tomorrow so have purchased a
>return on the app. The app allows me to register a Smartcard. Happily it
>accepts my Glasgow subway card serial number. Having selected the option to
>collect on my Smartcard I’m told I can load the ticket onto my Smartcard at
>the station (via a reader or ticket machine) after three hours. Why not
>instantly?

Sounds like the ticket-selling platform is only uploading recent sales
to the collection-on-departure platform in batches (rather than in real
time). You'd have to ask the system architects why that decision was
made. Three hours probably reflects the worst-case delay between
batches. In this day and age there's no compelling reason I can think of
why they couldn't do at least hourly uploads.

--
Roland Perry

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: Scotrail smartcard ticketing