From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Does ScotRail pay penalties?
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2024 18:49:54 +0000
 by: Scott - Thu, 22 Feb 2024 18:49 UTC

I was thinking today on the train - is ScotRail subject to penalties
for late-running of trains, or being a (Scottish) Government owned
company does money no longer change hands? Somebody will know :-)

Re: Does ScotRail pay penalties?

<n7bhti5jt8omnh6homdn6qoa271hn3m5b9@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76231&group=uk.railway#76231

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Does ScotRail pay penalties?
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2024 14:35:07 +0000
 by: Recliner - Fri, 23 Feb 2024 14:35 UTC

On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 18:49:54 +0000, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:

>I was thinking today on the train - is ScotRail subject to penalties
>for late-running of trains, or being a (Scottish) Government owned
>company does money no longer change hands? Somebody will know :-)

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/plan-your-journey/our-delay-repay-guarantee

Re: Does ScotRail pay penalties?

<urc91b$13ds6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76238&group=uk.railway#76238

From: alan@darkroom.plus.com (Alan Lee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 08:23:06 +0000
 by: Alan Lee - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 08:23 UTC

On 23/02/2024 14:35, Recliner wrote:
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 18:49:54 +0000, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> I was thinking today on the train - is ScotRail subject to penalties
>> for late-running of trains, or being a (Scottish) Government owned
>> company does money no longer change hands? Somebody will know :-)
>
> https://www.scotrail.co.uk/plan-your-journey/our-delay-repay-guarantee

I would have thought the query related to Section 8 payments, which
Scotrail must surely have to pay, but, do they now run the Infrastructure?
If so, they would still have to pay other Operators for delays caused by
track problems, so I cannot see why the Scotrail train operator would
not have to pay for delays caused by their trains. Not doing so would
make the accounting more difficult, and being as it's all going to the
same pot now, it wouldnt make any difference to finances overall, but
just add an extra level of bureaucracy(1)

(1)I had to google that spelling,it isnt a word I often use, and I had a
mental block typing it.

Re: Does ScotRail pay penalties?

<375ktit73g588a92ko86qdn0o5hunm4lmg@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76249&group=uk.railway#76249

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 16:13:11 +0000
 by: Recliner - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 16:13 UTC

On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 08:23:06 +0000, Alan Lee <alan@darkroom.plus.com> wrote:

>On 23/02/2024 14:35, Recliner wrote:
>> On Thu, 22 Feb 2024 18:49:54 +0000, Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>
>>> I was thinking today on the train - is ScotRail subject to penalties
>>> for late-running of trains, or being a (Scottish) Government owned
>>> company does money no longer change hands? Somebody will know :-)
>>
>> https://www.scotrail.co.uk/plan-your-journey/our-delay-repay-guarantee
>
>I would have thought the query related to Section 8 payments, which
>Scotrail must surely have to pay, but, do they now run the Infrastructure?

No, ScotRail and NR remain separate organisations, but they work more closely together than elsewhere.

>If so, they would still have to pay other Operators for delays caused by
>track problems, so I cannot see why the Scotrail train operator would
>not have to pay for delays caused by their trains.

Agreed. If a ScotRail train causes delays to other trains, it will be liable for penalties just like any other TOC,
whether State-owned or contracted out. In any case, all TOC finances are now the responsibility of the State throughout
the UK.

> Not doing so would
>make the accounting more difficult, and being as it's all going to the
>same pot now, it wouldnt make any difference to finances overall, but
>just add an extra level of bureaucracy(1)
>
>(1)I had to google that spelling,it isnt a word I often use, and I had a
>mental block typing it.

Re: Does ScotRail pay penalties?

<pyqS5qVCoh2lFA5w@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76251&group=uk.railway#76251

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 16:32:02 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 16:32 UTC

In message <375ktit73g588a92ko86qdn0o5hunm4lmg@4ax.com>, at 16:13:11 on
Sat, 24 Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 08:23:06 +0000, Alan Lee <alan@darkroom.plus.com> wrote:
>
>>On 23/02/2024 14:35, Recliner wrote:

>>> https://www.scotrail.co.uk/plan-your-journey/our-delay-repay-guarantee
>>
>>I would have thought the query related to Section 8 payments, which
>>Scotrail must surely have to pay, but, do they now run the Infrastructure?
>
>No, ScotRail and NR remain separate organisations, but they work more
>closely together than elsewhere.
>
>>If so, they would still have to pay other Operators for delays caused by
>>track problems, so I cannot see why the Scotrail train operator would
>>not have to pay for delays caused by their trains.
>
>Agreed. If a ScotRail train causes delays to other trains, it will be
>liable for penalties just like any other TOC, whether State-owned or
>contracted out. In any case, all TOC finances are now the
>responsibility of the State throughout the UK.

Even Open-Access operators?

--
Roland Perry

Re: Does ScotRail pay penalties?

<vk9ktipnt6cs2245rfs293lah346ku5l71@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76254&group=uk.railway#76254

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2024 17:31:00 +0000
 by: Recliner - Sat, 24 Feb 2024 17:31 UTC

On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 16:32:02 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:

>In message <375ktit73g588a92ko86qdn0o5hunm4lmg@4ax.com>, at 16:13:11 on
>Sat, 24 Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:

>>>I would have thought the query related to Section 8 payments, which
>>>Scotrail must surely have to pay, but, do they now run the Infrastructure?
>>
>>No, ScotRail and NR remain separate organisations, but they work more
>>closely together than elsewhere.
>>
>>>If so, they would still have to pay other Operators for delays caused by
>>>track problems, so I cannot see why the Scotrail train operator would
>>>not have to pay for delays caused by their trains.
>>
>>Agreed. If a ScotRail train causes delays to other trains, it will be
>>liable for penalties just like any other TOC, whether State-owned or
>>contracted out. In any case, all TOC finances are now the
>>responsibility of the State throughout the UK.
>
>Even Open-Access operators?

To avoid confusion, I wouldn't refer to them as TOCs. I only use 'TOCs' to refer to state passenger franchises, not open
access operators or freight operators.

I though that was clear from my wording: "any other TOC, whether State-owned or contracted out". I'm sorry if it wasn't
clear enough.

Re: Does ScotRail pay penalties?

<2Ae11XuRIt2lFA4i@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=76267&group=uk.railway#76267

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2024 05:37:21 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sun, 25 Feb 2024 05:37 UTC

In message <vk9ktipnt6cs2245rfs293lah346ku5l71@4ax.com>, at 17:31:00 on
Sat, 24 Feb 2024, Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> remarked:
>On Sat, 24 Feb 2024 16:32:02 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk> wrote:
>
>>In message <375ktit73g588a92ko86qdn0o5hunm4lmg@4ax.com>, at 16:13:11 on

>>>No, ScotRail and NR remain separate organisations, but they work more
>>>closely together than elsewhere.

>>>Agreed. If a ScotRail train causes delays to other trains, it will be
>>>liable for penalties just like any other TOC, whether State-owned or
>>>contracted out. In any case, all TOC finances are now the
>>>responsibility of the State throughout the UK.
>>
>>Even Open-Access operators?
>
>To avoid confusion, I wouldn't refer to them as TOCs. I only use 'TOCs'
>to refer to state passenger franchises, not open access operators or
>freight operators.

Sometimes it's best to explain private meanings up front, to avoid
confusion.

Similarly, wonkypedia has its own interpretation:

"Ownership [of Hull Trains] was originally divided between an 80
per cent stake held by the train operating company (TOC) GB
Railways, while the former British Rail managers Mike Jones and
John Nelson held the remainder.

>I though that was clear from my wording: "any other TOC, whether State-
>owned or contracted out". I'm sorry if it wasn't clear enough.

It was ambiguous, so needed clarifying.
--
Roland Perry

aus+uk / uk.railway / Does ScotRail pay penalties?