[A computer is] like an Old Testament god, with a lot of rules and no mercy. -- Joseph Campbell

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and

SubjectAuthor
* A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Yenc-PP-A&A
`* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Nobody
 `* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Ken
  +- Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Roland Perry
  +* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Anna Noyd-Dryver
  |`* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Ken
  | `- Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Anna Noyd-Dryver
  `* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Theo
   +* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Marland
   |`* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Rolf Mantel
   | `* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Marland
   |  `* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Roland Perry
   |   +* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Marland
   |   |+* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Roland Perry
   |   ||`* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Marland
   |   || `- Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Roland Perry
   |   |`* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Clank
   |   | `* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Rolf Mantel
   |   |  `* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Sam Wilson
   |   |   `* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Recliner
   |   |    `* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Sam Wilson
   |   |     `* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane andMuttley
   |   |      +* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane andGraeme Wall
   |   |      |`* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane andMuttley
   |   |      | +- Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane andGraeme Wall
   |   |      | `- Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane andMuttley
   |   |      +* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane andSam Wilson
   |   |      |`- Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane andClank
   |   |      `* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane andMarland
   |   |       `* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane andMuttley
   |   |        `- Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane andMarland
   |   `- Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Roland Perry
   `* Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Mark Goodge
    `- Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and the wheels removed.Sam Wilson

Pages:12
Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and

<uq88ek$387sk$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75567&group=uk.railway#75567

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:32:20 +0000
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:32 UTC

On 10/02/2024 16:07, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 14:23:32 -0000 (UTC)
> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> An example of what I saw in the Mississippi:
>>>

>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/52834739140/in/album-72177720307681289/
>>
>> One the one hand wowsers! But everything is bigger in America, and they
>> certainly aren’t going to try to navigate the Lorelei with that lot.
>>
>> Here’s the lash-up at Koblenz at around 6pm:
>>
>> <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10231208386023067&set=a.10206231106886
>> 699&type=3>
>>
>> And here is the same thing about 4 hours later a couple of km below the
>> Lorelei (and pushing the exposure somewhat - it was a lot less visible to
>> the naked eye):
>>
>> <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10231208386103069&set=a.10206231106886
>> 699&type=3>
>
> If you wait long enough on a bridge in central london you'll see one of the
> multiple daily rubbish barges heading up or downstream. Not nearly as
> impressive as above but for a relatively narrow river it must be squeaky
> bum time occasionally for the tug captain because if one of the barges broke
> away it could block the entire river at low tide.

Like this:
<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/Resource.jpg>
--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and

<uq88jb$389q8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75568&group=uk.railway#75568

From: ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk (Sam Wilson)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:34:51 -0000 (UTC)
<uq2js3$1vjna$1@dont-email.me>
<uq7oh1$35ihi$1@dont-email.me>
<2KKxN.9850$ps1.7303@fx12.ams1>
<uq80t4$36vea$1@dont-email.me>
<uq8700$380k2$1@dont-email.me>
sha1:gZB/Xh9mhs7U3t24eW/CyOQlwVU=
 by: Sam Wilson - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:34 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 14:23:32 -0000 (UTC)
> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> An example of what I saw in the Mississippi:
>>>

>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/52834739140/in/album-72177720307681289/
>>
>> One the one hand wowsers! But everything is bigger in America, and they
>> certainly aren’t going to try to navigate the Lorelei with that lot.
>>
>> Here’s the lash-up at Koblenz at around 6pm:
>>
>> <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10231208386023067&set=a.10206231106886
>> 699&type=3>
>>
>> And here is the same thing about 4 hours later a couple of km below the
>> Lorelei (and pushing the exposure somewhat - it was a lot less visible to
>> the naked eye):
>>
>> <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10231208386103069&set=a.10206231106886
>> 699&type=3>
>
> If you wait long enough on a bridge in central london you'll see one of the
> multiple daily rubbish barges heading up or downstream. Not nearly as
> impressive as above but for a relatively narrow river it must be squeaky
> bum time occasionally for the tug captain because if one of the barges broke
> away it could block the entire river at low tide.

Yes. I’ve seen similar lashups in Amsterdam where a barge tows another, or
two others. They were tightly linked by a chain at each side and a crew
member at the bow of each of the towed barges was responsible for
slackening the offside chain as they went round a corner!

Sam

--
The entity formerly known as Sam.Wilson@ed.ac.uk
Spit the dummy to reply

Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and

<uq8agn$38kms$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75570&group=uk.railway#75570

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 17:07:35 -0000 (UTC)
<Nkc*osuAz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <l0ksotFmrq1U1@mid.individual.net>
<uo3h17$vaur$1@dont-email.me> <l0llceFrc16U1@mid.individual.net>
<$Kw$61sOniplFAQ+@perry.uk> <l0muikF449bU1@mid.individual.net>
<uq2iai$1uhpi$3@dont-email.me> <uq2js3$1vjna$1@dont-email.me>
<uq7oh1$35ihi$1@dont-email.me> <2KKxN.9850$ps1.7303@fx12.ams1>
<uq80t4$36vea$1@dont-email.me> <uq8700$380k2$1@dont-email.me>
<uq88ek$387sk$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 17:07 UTC

On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:32:20 +0000
Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>On 10/02/2024 16:07, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>> If you wait long enough on a bridge in central london you'll see one of the
>> multiple daily rubbish barges heading up or downstream. Not nearly as
>> impressive as above but for a relatively narrow river it must be squeaky
>> bum time occasionally for the tug captain because if one of the barges broke
>> away it could block the entire river at low tide.
>>
>Like this:
><https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/Resource.jpg>

Thats it, though I'm guessing thats an old picture because I've only ever
seen the tugs pushing, not pulling.

Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and

<uq8m5p$3dc35$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75572&group=uk.railway#75572

From: rail@greywall.demon.co.uk (Graeme Wall)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 20:26:33 +0000
<Nkc*osuAz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <l0ksotFmrq1U1@mid.individual.net>
<uo3h17$vaur$1@dont-email.me> <l0llceFrc16U1@mid.individual.net>
<$Kw$61sOniplFAQ+@perry.uk> <l0muikF449bU1@mid.individual.net>
<uq2iai$1uhpi$3@dont-email.me> <uq2js3$1vjna$1@dont-email.me>
<uq7oh1$35ihi$1@dont-email.me> <2KKxN.9850$ps1.7303@fx12.ams1>
<uq80t4$36vea$1@dont-email.me> <uq8700$380k2$1@dont-email.me>
<uq88ek$387sk$1@dont-email.me> <uq8agn$38kms$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Graeme Wall - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 20:26 UTC

On 10/02/2024 17:07, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:32:20 +0000
> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> On 10/02/2024 16:07, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>>> If you wait long enough on a bridge in central london you'll see one of the
>>> multiple daily rubbish barges heading up or downstream. Not nearly as
>>> impressive as above but for a relatively narrow river it must be squeaky
>>> bum time occasionally for the tug captain because if one of the barges broke
>>> away it could block the entire river at low tide.
>>>
>> Like this:
>> <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/Resource.jpg>
>
> Thats it, though I'm guessing thats an old picture because I've only ever
> seen the tugs pushing, not pulling.

2019 apparently. The only pusher tug I recall seeing on the Thames is a
PLA boat. Must have a look out next time I am in town.

--
Graeme Wall
This account not read.

Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and

<uq8n61$3dfuj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75574&group=uk.railway#75574

From: clank75@googlemail.com (Clank)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2024 20:43:45 -0000 (UTC)
<Nkc*osuAz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <l0ksotFmrq1U1@mid.individual.net>
<uo3h17$vaur$1@dont-email.me> <l0llceFrc16U1@mid.individual.net>
<$Kw$61sOniplFAQ+@perry.uk> <l0muikF449bU1@mid.individual.net>
<uq2iai$1uhpi$3@dont-email.me> <uq2js3$1vjna$1@dont-email.me>
<uq7oh1$35ihi$1@dont-email.me> <2KKxN.9850$ps1.7303@fx12.ams1>
<uq80t4$36vea$1@dont-email.me> <uq8700$380k2$1@dont-email.me>
<uq88jb$389q8$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Clank - Sat, 10 Feb 2024 20:43 UTC

On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:34:51 -0000 (UTC), Sam Wilson wrote:

> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 14:23:32 -0000 (UTC)
>> Sam Wilson <ukr@dummy.wislons.fastmail.co.uk> wrote:

>>> https://www.flickr.com/photos/recliner/52834739140/in/
album-72177720307681289/

>>> One the one hand wowsers! But everything is bigger in America, and
>>> they certainly aren’t going to try to navigate the Lorelei with that
>>> lot.
>>>
>>> Here’s the lash-up at Koblenz at around 6pm:
>>>
>>> <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10231208386023067&set=a.
10206231106886
>>> 699&type=3>
>>>
>>> And here is the same thing about 4 hours later a couple of km below
>>> the Lorelei (and pushing the exposure somewhat - it was a lot less
>>> visible to the naked eye):
>>>
>>> <https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10231208386103069&set=a.
10206231106886
>>> 699&type=3>
>>
>> If you wait long enough on a bridge in central london you'll see one of
>> the multiple daily rubbish barges heading up or downstream. Not nearly
>> as impressive as above but for a relatively narrow river it must be
>> squeaky bum time occasionally for the tug captain because if one of the
>> barges broke away it could block the entire river at low tide.
>
> Yes. I’ve seen similar lashups in Amsterdam where a barge tows another,
> or two others. They were tightly linked by a chain at each side and a
> crew member at the bow of each of the towed barges was responsible for
> slackening the offside chain as they went round a corner!

The Chao Phraya River in Bangkok is good for barge-spotting, particularly
if you're looking for "how the hell isn't that going to end in an
accident" - half a dozen huge barges lashed together and pulled by a
single loosely coupled tug not being uncommon. (Mind, at least it's not
particularly narrow, but it is very highly trafficked.)

That said, the Chao Phraya is good for more or less everything - fab city,
Bangkok.

Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and

<l2rl2dF3udmU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75599&group=uk.railway#75599

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 11 Feb 2024 10:15:41 GMT
<uq2js3$1vjna$1@dont-email.me>
<uq7oh1$35ihi$1@dont-email.me>
<2KKxN.9850$ps1.7303@fx12.ams1>
<uq80t4$36vea$1@dont-email.me>
<uq8700$380k2$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Marland - Sun, 11 Feb 2024 10:15 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 14:23:32 -0000 (UTC)
>

> If you wait long enough on a bridge in central london you'll see one of the
> multiple daily rubbish barges heading up or downstream. Not nearly as
> impressive as above but for a relatively narrow river it must be squeaky
> bum time occasionally for the tug captain because if one of the barges broke
> away it could block the entire river at low tide.

You can get really close to the loading operation at one of the wharves as
the bankside paths goes under the loading gangtry.
Fuller details here
<https://www.londonontheground.com/post/walbrook-wharf-the-river-rubbish-and-romans>

Its a little feature of the kind that interests my Industrial archaeology
leanings and provides something different to look at compared to the
standard well known landmarks though the missus sometimes complains I
always find something industrial.

One of the best was this engine shed on a Dartmoor walk just when she
thought she was safe.

<https://visitdartmoor.co.uk/target-railway-at-rowtor>

GH

Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and

<uqdele$1jl50$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75636&group=uk.railway#75636

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:49:02 -0000 (UTC)
<Nkc*osuAz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk> <l0ksotFmrq1U1@mid.individual.net>
<uo3h17$vaur$1@dont-email.me> <l0llceFrc16U1@mid.individual.net>
<$Kw$61sOniplFAQ+@perry.uk> <l0muikF449bU1@mid.individual.net>
<uq2iai$1uhpi$3@dont-email.me> <uq2js3$1vjna$1@dont-email.me>
<uq7oh1$35ihi$1@dont-email.me> <2KKxN.9850$ps1.7303@fx12.ams1>
<uq80t4$36vea$1@dont-email.me> <uq8700$380k2$1@dont-email.me>
<uq88ek$387sk$1@dont-email.me>
<uq8agn$38kms$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:49 UTC

On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 17:07:35 -0000 (UTC)
Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 16:32:20 +0000
>Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>On 10/02/2024 16:07, Muttley@dastardlyhq.com wrote:
>>> If you wait long enough on a bridge in central london you'll see one of the
>>> multiple daily rubbish barges heading up or downstream. Not nearly as
>>> impressive as above but for a relatively narrow river it must be squeaky
>>> bum time occasionally for the tug captain because if one of the barges broke
>
>>> away it could block the entire river at low tide.
>>>
>>Like this:
>><https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6e/Resource.jpg>
>
>Thats it, though I'm guessing thats an old picture because I've only ever
>seen the tugs pushing, not pulling.

Perhaps I was mistaken. Its been a while since I've seen one.

Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and

<uqden0$1jlfv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75637&group=uk.railway#75637

From: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:49:53 -0000 (UTC)
<uq2js3$1vjna$1@dont-email.me>
<uq7oh1$35ihi$1@dont-email.me>
<2KKxN.9850$ps1.7303@fx12.ams1>
<uq80t4$36vea$1@dont-email.me>
<uq8700$380k2$1@dont-email.me>
<l2rl2dF3udmU1@mid.individual.net>
 by: Muttley@dastardlyhq.com - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 15:49 UTC

On 11 Feb 2024 10:15:41 GMT
Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
><Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 14:23:32 -0000 (UTC)
>>

>> If you wait long enough on a bridge in central london you'll see one of the
>> multiple daily rubbish barges heading up or downstream. Not nearly as
>> impressive as above but for a relatively narrow river it must be squeaky
>> bum time occasionally for the tug captain because if one of the barges broke
>> away it could block the entire river at low tide.
>>

>You can get really close to the loading operation at one of the wharves as
>the bankside paths goes under the loading gangtry.
>Fuller details here
><https://www.londonontheground.com/post/walbrook-wharf-the-river-rubbish-and-ro
>mans>
>
>Its a little feature of the kind that interests my Industrial archaeology
>leanings and provides something different to look at compared to the
>standard well known landmarks though the missus sometimes complains I
>always find something industrial.
>
>One of the best was this engine shed on a Dartmoor walk just when she
>thought she was safe.
>
><https://visitdartmoor.co.uk/target-railway-at-rowtor>

Portillo visited that in one of his railway programs. Quite interesting.

Re: A freight train in Bristol is lifted up with a crane and

<l2vl8nFqvaqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75647&group=uk.railway#75647

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 12 Feb 2024 22:43:35 GMT
<uq2js3$1vjna$1@dont-email.me>
<uq7oh1$35ihi$1@dont-email.me>
<2KKxN.9850$ps1.7303@fx12.ams1>
<uq80t4$36vea$1@dont-email.me>
<uq8700$380k2$1@dont-email.me>
<l2rl2dF3udmU1@mid.individual.net>
<uqden0$1jlfv$1@dont-email.me>
 by: Marland - Mon, 12 Feb 2024 22:43 UTC

<Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
> On 11 Feb 2024 10:15:41 GMT
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> <Muttley@dastardlyhq.com> wrote:
>>> On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 14:23:32 -0000 (UTC)
>>>

>>> If you wait long enough on a bridge in central london you'll see one of the
>>> multiple daily rubbish barges heading up or downstream. Not nearly as
>>> impressive as above but for a relatively narrow river it must be squeaky
>>> bum time occasionally for the tug captain because if one of the barges broke
>>> away it could block the entire river at low tide.
>>>

>> You can get really close to the loading operation at one of the wharves as
>> the bankside paths goes under the loading gangtry.
>> Fuller details here
>> <https://www.londonontheground.com/post/walbrook-wharf-the-river-rubbish-and-ro
>>>

>> Its a little feature of the kind that interests my Industrial archaeology
>> leanings and provides something different to look at compared to the
>> standard well known landmarks though the missus sometimes complains I
>> always find something industrial.
>>
>> One of the best was this engine shed on a Dartmoor walk just when she
>> thought she was safe.
>>
>> <https://visitdartmoor.co.uk/target-railway-at-rowtor>
>
> Portillo visited that in one of his railway programs. Quite interesting.

Its the most complete example of several that were up on the moor in the
vicinity of Okehampton ranges, I discovered them as a youngster as that
area was not far from where we lived though even 50+ years ago some had
long been disused . Still it was quite thrill when being dragged around the
Moor on a school outing to find a small cutting with rusting rails in it,
they I later discovered were. 20” gauge which to our innocent young minds
had us wondering if we had come across a lost narrow gauge or miniature
railway.

GH