A bureaucrat's idea of cleaning up his files is to make a copy of everything before he destroys it.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Traction for freight trains

SubjectAuthor
* Traction for freight trainsScott
+* Re: Traction for freight trainsBob
|+* Re: Traction for freight trainsBevan Price
||`- Re: Traction for freight trainsColinR
|`- Re: Traction for freight trainsRoland Perry
`* Re: Traction for freight trainsMarland
 `* Re: Traction for freight trainsRecliner
  `* Re: Traction for freight trainsMarland
   `- Re: Traction for freight trainsCoffee

1
Traction for freight trains

<64a2si9crapo6jdra9t8vr9435a0tankkr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75266&group=uk.railway#75266

From: newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk (Scott)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Traction for freight trains
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2024 18:28:51 +0000
 by: Scott - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 18:28 UTC

I am just wondering for a debate in another group, is there a
restriction on electric locomotives on certain routes because of
limitations in the power supply?

Re: Traction for freight trains

<uprau0$dhnm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75269&group=uk.railway#75269

From: bob@domain.com (Bob)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: Traction for freight trains
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 19:54:56 +0100
 by: Bob - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 18:54 UTC

On 05.02.2024 19:28, Scott wrote:
> I am just wondering for a debate in another group, is there a
> restriction on electric locomotives on certain routes because of
> limitations in the power supply?

There certainly are some routes that are or have been power supply
limited, notably the King's Lynn line. There may, though, be other
reasons for restrictions unrelated to power supply, though, so just
because a restriction exists, that might not be the cause.

Robin

Re: Traction for freight trains

<uprrtl$gigb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75272&group=uk.railway#75272

From: bevanprice666@gmail.com (Bevan Price)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 23:44:54 +0000
 by: Bevan Price - Mon, 5 Feb 2024 23:44 UTC

On 05/02/2024 18:54, Bob wrote:
> On 05.02.2024 19:28, Scott wrote:
>> I am just wondering for a debate in another group, is there a
>> restriction on electric locomotives on certain routes because of
>> limitations in the power supply?
>
> There certainly are some routes that are or have been power supply
> limited, notably the King's Lynn line. There may, though, be other
> reasons for restrictions unrelated to power supply, though, so just
> because a restriction exists, that might not be the cause.
>
> Robin

And sometimes, freight companies don't want to pay what NR charges to
use electrified lines - supposedly why DB ceased to use its Class 90s.

Re: Traction for freight trains

<upta4t$sr32$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75285&group=uk.railway#75285

From: rail@greystane.shetland.co.uk (ColinR)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 12:53:49 +0000
 by: ColinR - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 12:53 UTC

On 05/02/2024 23:44, Bevan Price wrote:
> On 05/02/2024 18:54, Bob wrote:
>> On 05.02.2024 19:28, Scott wrote:
>>> I am just wondering for a debate in another group, is there a
>>> restriction on electric locomotives on certain routes because of
>>> limitations in the power supply?
>>
>> There certainly are some routes that are or have been power supply
>> limited, notably the King's Lynn line. There may, though, be other
>> reasons for restrictions unrelated to power supply, though, so just
>> because a restriction exists, that might not be the cause.
>>
>> Robin
>
> And sometimes, freight companies don't want to pay what NR charges to
> use electrified lines - supposedly why DB ceased to use its Class 90s.

It is a number of years ago now and may no longer be true but there used
to be one through train a day from Skipton to Kings Cross - under the
wires the whole route. However it was always an HST. When I queried this
I was told the the OHL from Leeds to Skipton did not have the capacity
to operate an electric loco, hence diesel power was used.

--
Colin

Re: Traction for freight trains

<JlYCxfBILmwlFAdW@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75295&group=uk.railway#75295

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:48:08 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 16:48 UTC

In message <uprau0$dhnm$1@dont-email.me>, at 19:54:56 on Mon, 5 Feb
2024, Bob <bob@domain.com> remarked:
>On 05.02.2024 19:28, Scott wrote:

>> I am just wondering for a debate in another group, is there a
>> restriction on electric locomotives on certain routes because of
>> limitations in the power supply?
>
>There certainly are some routes that are or have been power supply
>limited, notably the King's Lynn line.

Still "No locos north of Milton" I think.

But that's not much of a problem because most freight trains would want
to go to Ipswich, Peterborough (and beyond) and Norwich, and none of
those three lines are electrified.

--
Roland Perry

Re: Traction for freight trains

<l2fd5vFspdhU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75306&group=uk.railway#75306

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 6 Feb 2024 18:47:27 GMT
 by: Marland - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 18:47 UTC

Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
> I am just wondering for a debate in another group, is there a
> restriction on electric locomotives on certain routes because of
> limitations in the power supply?

Presumably the Southern area 3rd rail network as unless I have missed them
no modern multi mode locos have been created to haul freight on any routes
so equipped, we have overhead 25.000V/Diesel and 25,000/Diesel/Battery
possibilities but none for third rail.

GH

Re: Traction for freight trains

<pnvwN.90312$c1y8.42517@fx15.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75307&group=uk.railway#75307

Newsgroups: uk.railway
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2024 19:02:45 GMT
 by: Recliner - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 19:02 UTC

Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>> I am just wondering for a debate in another group, is there a
>> restriction on electric locomotives on certain routes because of
>> limitations in the power supply?
>>

> Presumably the Southern area 3rd rail network as unless I have missed them
> no modern multi mode locos have been created to haul freight on any routes
> so equipped, we have overhead 25.000V/Diesel and 25,000/Diesel/Battery
> possibilities but none for third rail.

Class 92:
https://www.kentrail.org.uk/Class_92_Wandsworth_Road_July_2002.jpg

Re: Traction for freight trains

<l2fjv8FttbgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75313&group=uk.railway#75313

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 6 Feb 2024 20:43:20 GMT
 by: Marland - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 20:43 UTC

Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>> Scott <newsgroups@gefion.myzen.co.uk> wrote:
>>> I am just wondering for a debate in another group, is there a
>>> restriction on electric locomotives on certain routes because of
>>> limitations in the power supply?
>>>

>> Presumably the Southern area 3rd rail network as unless I have missed them
>> no modern multi mode locos have been created to haul freight on any routes
>> so equipped, we have overhead 25.000V/Diesel and 25,000/Diesel/Battery
>> possibilities but none for third rail.
>>

> Class 92:
> https://www.kentrail.org.uk/Class_92_Wandsworth_Road_July_2002.jpg

Indeed , I am guilty of over editing my own post . The original posting was
longer and would have mentioned them but also that for much freight work
such as container traffic to and from Southampton docks their lack of being
able to go the last mile off the juice makes them impractical,
no one wants to mess around swapping locos just to get in and out of the
container terminals.
That is why I mentioned the modern designs which can and with class 92’s
getting towards 30 years old describing them as modern is stretching the
point.

GH

Re: Traction for freight trains

<upueb5$13cjo$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75318&group=uk.railway#75318

From: martin.coffee@round-midnight.org.uk (Coffee)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2024 23:11:33 +0000
 by: Coffee - Tue, 6 Feb 2024 23:11 UTC

On 06/02/2024 20:43, Marland wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> wrote:
>>>>

>>> Presumably the Southern area 3rd rail network as unless I have missed them
>>> no modern multi mode locos have been created to haul freight on any routes
>>> so equipped, we have overhead 25.000V/Diesel and 25,000/Diesel/Battery
>>> possibilities but none for third rail.
>>>

>> Class 92:
>> https://www.kentrail.org.uk/Class_92_Wandsworth_Road_July_2002.jpg
>>

> Indeed , I am guilty of over editing my own post . The original posting was
> longer and would have mentioned them but also that for much freight work
> such as container traffic to and from Southampton docks their lack of being
> able to go the last mile off the juice makes them impractical,
> no one wants to mess around swapping locos just to get in and out of the
> container terminals.
> That is why I mentioned the modern designs which can and with class 92’s
> getting towards 30 years old describing them as modern is stretching the
> point.

It certainly would be nice if the last few miles to Felixstowe could be
electrified but my suspicion is that the branch is used to heavily
that's it's not worth the disruption

aus+uk / uk.railway / Traction for freight trains