From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: OT Big Mac USA pricing
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 16:44:08 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:nvwpfJIs1V9+5eIThA392IeBOV0=
 by: Tweed - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 16:44 UTC

I remember there being some discussion about the variability of Big Mac
pricing across the USA. I’ve just come across this website
https://pantryandlarder.com/mccheapest which claims to have plotted the
price from every outlet.

Re: OT Big Mac USA pricing

<upj8a4$kii$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75161&group=uk.railway#75161

From: johnl@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT Big Mac USA pricing
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:21:08 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Fri, 2 Feb 2024 17:21 UTC

According to Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com>:
>I remember there being some discussion about the variability of Big Mac
>pricing across the USA. I’ve just come across this website
>https://pantryandlarder.com/mccheapest which claims to have plotted the
>price from every outlet.

The most expensive one makes sense, a service area on an isolated section
of motorway where it's 30 miles between the exits. I've been there but
skipped the burger.

Never been to Oklahoma so I can't say why they're so cheap there. Or perhaps
the fact that I've never had a reason to go to Oklahoma is a hint.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

Re: OT Big Mac USA pricing

<doTXCtFbTavlFAnt@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75167&group=uk.railway#75167

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 02:28:43 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 02:28 UTC

In message <upj8a4$kii$1@gal.iecc.com>, at 17:21:08 on Fri, 2 Feb 2024,
John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> remarked:
>According to Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com>:

>>I remember there being some discussion about the variability of Big Mac
>>pricing across the USA. I’ve just come across this website
>>https://pantryandlarder.com/mccheapest which claims to have plotted the
>>price from every outlet.
>
>The most expensive one makes sense, a service area on an isolated section
>of motorway where it's 30 miles between the exits. I've been there but
>skipped the burger.
>
>Never been to Oklahoma so I can't say why they're so cheap there. Or perhaps
>the fact that I've never had a reason to go to Oklahoma is a hint.

I've had powerful reasons to go there many times. Pricing issue I'm
unsighted about, might be low sales tax/staff wages, cheap local
produce, or alternatively lots of competition.

Outlet founded by my wife's aunt and uncle: https://www.thehideaway.net/

"The Hideaway was founded in 1957, and is one of the first pizza
restaurants in the state. It was Originally called the Campus Hideaway,
and was located on 3rd Street, just off the Oklahoma State University
campus. When Richard and Marti had their first pizza there, he made the
comment, "Pizza is going to be more popular than Hamburgers."

There's a burger bar in Atlanta which claims to be the first in the
country https://thevarsity.com/ again very much linked to the adjacent
university.
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT Big Mac USA pricing

<ibarri1focsvdk0d8333masrdegbhsu0p1@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75168&group=uk.railway#75168

From: jock@soccer.com (Nobody)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Fri, 02 Feb 2024 18:53:56 -0800
 by: Nobody - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 02:53 UTC

On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 02:28:43 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
wrote:

>In message <upj8a4$kii$1@gal.iecc.com>, at 17:21:08 on Fri, 2 Feb 2024,
>John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> remarked:
>>According to Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com>:
>
>>>I remember there being some discussion about the variability of Big Mac
>>>pricing across the USA. I’ve just come across this website
>>>https://pantryandlarder.com/mccheapest which claims to have plotted the
>>>price from every outlet.
>>
>>The most expensive one makes sense, a service area on an isolated section
>>of motorway where it's 30 miles between the exits. I've been there but
>>skipped the burger.
>>
>>Never been to Oklahoma so I can't say why they're so cheap there. Or perhaps
>>the fact that I've never had a reason to go to Oklahoma is a hint.
>
>I've had powerful reasons to go there many times. Pricing issue I'm
>unsighted about, might be low sales tax/staff wages, cheap local
>produce, or alternatively lots of competition.
>
>Outlet founded by my wife's aunt and uncle: https://www.thehideaway.net/

Here we go as usual: the tangential poster strikes again. The
discussion was about *Big Mac prices at Ronald's*.

I'm sorry to hear about your wife...

But, really? The rest could be *hidden away*.

Re: OT Big Mac USA pricing

<upkq0a$31n0g$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75169&group=uk.railway#75169

From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 07:29:14 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:3HQKjKz4RLQ2J6Lw2+pu6jwQz4g=
 by: Tweed - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 07:29 UTC

Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 02:28:43 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
> wrote:
>
>> In message <upj8a4$kii$1@gal.iecc.com>, at 17:21:08 on Fri, 2 Feb 2024,
>> John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> remarked:

>>> The most expensive one makes sense, a service area on an isolated section
>>> of motorway where it's 30 miles between the exits. I've been there but
>>> skipped the burger.
>>>
>>> Never been to Oklahoma so I can't say why they're so cheap there. Or perhaps
>>> the fact that I've never had a reason to go to Oklahoma is a hint.
>>
>> I've had powerful reasons to go there many times. Pricing issue I'm
>> unsighted about, might be low sales tax/staff wages, cheap local
>> produce, or alternatively lots of competition.
>>
>> Outlet founded by my wife's aunt and uncle: https://www.thehideaway.net/
>
> Here we go as usual: the tangential poster strikes again. The
> discussion was about *Big Mac prices at Ronald's*.
>
> I'm sorry to hear about your wife...
>
> But, really? The rest could be *hidden away*.

I think an OT thread is allowed to wander more than usual.

Re: OT Big Mac USA pricing

<EgPRAONoCgvlFAk0@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75170&group=uk.railway#75170

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 09:00:24 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 09:00 UTC

In message <upkq0a$31n0g$1@dont-email.me>, at 07:29:14 on Sat, 3 Feb
2024, Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> remarked:
>Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 02:28:43 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <upj8a4$kii$1@gal.iecc.com>, at 17:21:08 on Fri, 2 Feb 2024,
>>> John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> remarked:

>>> I've had powerful reasons to go there many times. Pricing issue I'm
>>> unsighted about, might be low sales tax/staff wages, cheap local
>>> produce, or alternatively lots of competition.
>>>
>>> Outlet founded by my wife's aunt and uncle: https://www.thehideaway.net/

Which comes firmly under both the "lots of competition" and "low wages"
headings.

>> Here we go as usual: the tangential poster strikes again. The
>> discussion was about *Big Mac prices at Ronald's*.
>>
>> I'm sorry to hear about your wife...

I'd have posted what I did regardless.

>> But, really? The rest could be *hidden away*.
>
>I think an OT thread is allowed to wander more than usual.

nobody(sic) seems to have an alternative theory about the reason for
cheap burgers in Oklahoma.

Stigler looks like it's a small town on a native American reservation,
and just down the road from the McDonalds is the Sonic burger bar which
has a Quarter Pound Double Cheeseburger for $1.99
--
Roland Perry

Re: OT Big Mac USA pricing

<l26fdiFam8hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75172&group=uk.railway#75172

From: gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk (Marland)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: 3 Feb 2024 09:30:26 GMT
 by: Marland - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 09:30 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, 3 Feb 2024 02:28:43 +0000, Roland Perry <roland@perry.uk>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> In message <upj8a4$kii$1@gal.iecc.com>, at 17:21:08 on Fri, 2 Feb 2024,
>>> John Levine <johnl@taugh.com> remarked:

>>> I've had powerful reasons to go there many times. Pricing issue I'm
>>> unsighted about, might be low sales tax/staff wages, cheap local
>>> produce, or alternatively lots of competition.
>>>
>>> Outlet founded by my wife's aunt and uncle: https://www.thehideaway.net/
>>
>> Here we go as usual: the tangential poster strikes again. The
>> discussion was about *Big Mac prices at Ronald's*.
>>
>> I'm sorry to hear about your wife...
>>
>> But, really? The rest could be *hidden away*.
>>

> I think an OT thread is allowed to wander more than usual.

Agreed, a bit of banter makes life interesting. Otherwise we become like
the stereotypical trainspotter, all serious about little things to do with
trains and little else rather than well balanced
people who enjoy the following of Rail Transport as just one of their
interests.
Perhaps we could argue that the popularity of burgers in North America was
because the population got accustomed to eating meat which became
relatively easy to source as Railroads made it possible
to transport animals from the hinterland to the cities,wasn’t it Chicago
that had hundreds of miles
of sidings and interconnecting tracks just to serve the stockyard?
The Pizza ( which my missus says is just a posh bread with toppings most of
which taste no better than cheese on toast sold at a fraction of the price)
seems to be a product more suited to the post WW2 automobile age.

GH
GH

Re: OT Big Mac USA pricing

<QXFktATD1gvlFAF4@perry.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75178&group=uk.railway#75178

From: roland@perry.uk (Roland Perry)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 09:54:11 +0000
 by: Roland Perry - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 09:54 UTC

In message <l26fdiFam8hU1@mid.individual.net>, at 09:30:26 on Sat, 3 Feb
2024, Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk> remarked:
>Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Nobody <jock@soccer.com> wrote:

>>> Here we go as usual: the tangential poster strikes again. The
>>> discussion was about *Big Mac prices at Ronald's*.
>>>
>>> I'm sorry to hear about your wife...
>>>
>>> But, really? The rest could be *hidden away*.
>>>

>> I think an OT thread is allowed to wander more than usual.
>
>Agreed, a bit of banter makes life interesting. Otherwise we become like
>the stereotypical trainspotter, all serious about little things to do with
>trains and little else rather than well balanced
>people who enjoy the following of Rail Transport as just one of their
>interests.

>Perhaps we could argue that the popularity of burgers in North America
>was because the population got accustomed to eating meat which became
>relatively easy to source as Railroads made it possible to transport
>animals from the hinterland to the cities,wasn’t it Chicago that had
>hundreds of miles of sidings and interconnecting tracks just to serve
>the stockyard?

>The Pizza ( which my missus says is just a posh bread with toppings most of
>which taste no better than cheese on toast sold at a fraction of the price)
>seems to be a product more suited to the post WW2 automobile age.

I had optional Jalapenos on my cheeseburger pizza last night <https://ww
w.princealbertely.co.uk/menu>

Bit of a race condition though: dogs allowed in the bar (or outdoors)
but not the restaurant, and full menu (only bar snacks) not available in
the bar.

--
Roland Perry

Re: OT Big Mac USA pricing

<upm28a$n9o$1@gal.iecc.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75212&group=uk.railway#75212

From: johnl@taugh.com (John Levine)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2024 18:56:10 -0000 (UTC)
Originator: johnl@iecc.com (John Levine)
 by: John Levine - Sat, 3 Feb 2024 18:56 UTC

According to Marland <gemehabal@btinternet.co.uk>:
>Perhaps we could argue that the popularity of burgers in North America was
>because the population got accustomed to eating meat which became
>relatively easy to source as Railroads made it possible
>to transport animals from the hinterland to the cities,wasn’t it Chicago
>that had hundreds of miles
>of sidings and interconnecting tracks just to serve the stockyard?
>The Pizza ( which my missus says is just a posh bread with toppings most of
>which taste no better than cheese on toast sold at a fraction of the price)
>seems to be a product more suited to the post WW2 automobile age.

In my college days, the well regarded local pizza place opened in
1925, and the burger joint in 1895. Lombardi's in N.Y. has been
serving pizza since 1905. Neither is new to the U.S.

The burget joint, Louis Lunch, is generally considered the first to
sell hamburgers in the U.S. He (or I guess his great grandchildren
now) uses a vertical gas broiler, serve them on toasted sandwich bread,
and give you a dirty look if you ask for catsup. They are much better
than the ones served at that motorway service area which is about 90
miles away, pretty close by U.S. standards.

--
Regards,
John Levine, johnl@taugh.com, Primary Perpetrator of "The Internet for Dummies",

aus+uk / uk.railway / OT Big Mac USA pricing