love, n.: When you like to think of someone on days that begin with a morning.

aus+uk / uk.railway / Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling with commissioning IT

SubjectAuthor
* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company strugglingAnna Noyd-Dryver
+* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling with commissioning ITTheo
|+* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company strugglingRecliner
||`* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company strugglingAnna Noyd-Dryver
|| `- Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company strugglingRecliner
|`* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling withGraeme Wall
| `* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company strugglingTweed
|  +* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling withGraeme Wall
|  |`* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company strugglingTweed
|  | +- Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling withGraeme Wall
|  | `- Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company strugglingAnna Noyd-Dryver
|  `* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company strugglingAnna Noyd-Dryver
|   `- Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling withCoffee
`* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company strugglingAnna Noyd-Dryver
 `* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling with commissioning ITTheo
  `* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company strugglingRecliner
   `* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling with commissioning ITTheo
    +* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company strugglingRecliner
    |`* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling withGraeme Wall
    | +* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling withBob
    | |`* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling with commissioning ITCharles Ellson
    | | `* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling withBob
    | |  `- Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling withGraeme Wall
    | `* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company strugglingRecliner
    |  `* Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling withGraeme Wall
    |   `- Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company strugglingRecliner
    `- Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling with commissioning ITRecliner

Pages:12
Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling with commissioning IT

<pyBdN.455$ogWb.378@fx14.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=71673&group=uk.railway#71673

Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling
with commissioning IT
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
<ujdvrj$3vgmn$1@dont-email.me>
<sPv6N.39705$ni5.38560@fx09.ams1>
<uju1ci$2vons$4@dont-email.me>
<Vsx*cynwz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
<c+A33RjI91YlFAuQ@perry.uk>
<0ig*7-swz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
<NDajYX5kNOZlFAX+@perry.uk>
<3ig*M6twz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
<ukl3qc$3guit$1@dont-email.me>
<uksmd0$1a5gd$1@dont-email.me>
<22o*YWtxz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
<DA6dN.2363$c68d.498@fx15.ams1>
<02o*Cwwxz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>
<eSgdN.208$woU1.156@fx13.ams1>
<ul4f5i$2ml18$2@dont-email.me>
<XNldN.3148$c68d.2285@fx15.ams1>
<ul6gfs$33cbq$1@dont-email.me>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2023 10:31:49 GMT
 by: Recliner - Mon, 11 Dec 2023 10:31 UTC

Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> On 10/12/2023 16:36, Recliner wrote:
>> Graeme Wall <rail@greywall.demon.co.uk> wrote:

>>> Can't help recalling the space race myth about the Americans spending
>>> millions of dollars developing a pen that could write in zero gravity,
>>> the Russians used a pencil.
>>>

>> Apart from that myth being completely untrue, this is another example of
>> public sector inefficiency.
>
> If it is untrue how can it be an example of public sector inefficiency?

I'm obviously not talking about the pen/pencil.

> It's more an example of right-wing prejudice.
>
> A much bigger example is the NHS (allegedly the
>> last bastion of the fax and paper-heavy low productivity).
>>
>> Wes Streeting: NHS uses every winter crisis as an excuse for cash
>>
>> <https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/d4bc9a11-ff3e-4cd6-880d-b8349642edbb?shareToken=e58c5fd3f8fdd2ce00e2f15d89d5c2a0>
>>

> So Streeting denies that more people use NHS services in winter then?

Re: OT: Railways not the only utility company struggling with commissioning IT

<loUuN.35234$oJCf.2747@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75141&group=uk.railway#75141

Newsgroups: uk.railway
with commissioning IT
From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
<s+I73XkT8EWlFAoQ@perry.uk>
<uu7hli9v8eu1tpr9vfdvm091nlg4e9e2sg@4ax.com>
<zB4M4P+RFdWlFAZU@perry.uk>
<Cul6N.9597$4Fc2.7553@fx14.ams1>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2024 21:52:17 GMT
 by: Recliner - Thu, 1 Feb 2024 21:52 UTC

Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
> Recliner <recliner.usenet@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Theo <theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>> It seems like an iPad/phone app with GPS would cover those with some degree
>>> of automation - it could flash up messages at particular points ('don't
>>> forget to switch to electric in 1 mile'), and handle the ticking off for you
>>> (unless the action of ticking off helps you remember things?). It would
>>> also be an independent record of events separate from the OTMR.
>>
>> Presumably the app could also generate audio warnings, and require touch
>> confirmation if needed?
>>
>> It could also transmit back to base.
>
> All possible. Depends how much you want it to be part of the safety system.
> (eg for the pilot apps they get a moving airport map to show which taxiway
> they're on, but it's simply an aid - they still have to look out the window
> and confirm)
>

>>> The key here would be the iPad (or phone or whatever) goes around with
>>> you, rather than being something you leave in the cab.
>>
>> Couldn't it remain in the cab? Drivers would log into it when they took
>> over.
>
> In the case of Anna's job sheet, it has things like which turn they're on
> next and when breaks finish. Presumably that information would be needed
> during layovers, especially for deadhead legs where they aren't in the cab.
>
> Although some combination of smartphone and in-cab tablet could work.

An update:

Striking train drivers want extra pay for using tablets

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/32674735-3519-4e32-8db3-8271e99cb57c?shareToken=8b5163fbf09b344d9ea44864a4904c72