From: usenet.tweed@gmail.com (Tweed)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: HS2 Freight moan
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:52:10 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:OV9a8ynIdwtNOT7jHvUhDwEO87o=
 by: Tweed - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:52 UTC

Just been listening to a radio interview with the folk both in charge of
investing in the warehouses at Daventry and the boss of Freightliner. They
were both complaining that the HS2 descope would affect their ability to
run freight trains in the WCML because capacity wasn’t being freed up by
HS2. I was thinking why are they expecting the taxpayer to fund their
business and why aren’t they contributing to HS2. Where am I going wrong…?

Re: HS2 Freight moan

<6UE*StfBz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74839&group=uk.railway#74839

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Subject: Re: HS2 Freight moan
Date: 24 Jan 2024 18:15:14 +0000 (GMT)
 by: Theo - Wed, 24 Jan 2024 18:15 UTC

Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just been listening to a radio interview with the folk both in charge of
> investing in the warehouses at Daventry and the boss of Freightliner. They
> were both complaining that the HS2 descope would affect their ability to
> run freight trains in the WCML because capacity wasn’t being freed up by
> HS2. I was thinking why are they expecting the taxpayer to fund their
> business and why aren’t they contributing to HS2. Where am I going wrong…?

Would Eddie Stobart be expected to fund widening of the M6?
They are, after all, Freightliner's competitor.

Theo

Re: HS2 Freight moan

<r4u4ri9u3ot4q2gconrh3h2thovdh52nol@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74889&group=uk.railway#74889

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:05:42 +0000
 by: Recliner - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:05 UTC

On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:52:10 -0000 (UTC), Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:

>Just been listening to a radio interview with the folk both in charge of
>investing in the warehouses at Daventry and the boss of Freightliner. They
>were both complaining that the HS2 descope would affect their ability to
>run freight trains in the WCML because capacity wasn’t being freed up by
>HS2. I was thinking why are they expecting the taxpayer to fund their
>business and why aren’t they contributing to HS2. Where am I going wrong…?

But surely capacity will be freed up on the WCML in the Daventry area?

Re: HS2 Freight moan

<6FztChLi1nslFwYE@ku.gro.lloiff>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74892&group=uk.railway#74892

From: bulleid@ku.gro.lioff (Adrian)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:25:22 +0000
 by: Adrian - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:25 UTC

In message <r4u4ri9u3ot4q2gconrh3h2thovdh52nol@4ax.com>, Recliner
<recliner.usenet@gmail.com> writes
>On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:52:10 -0000 (UTC), Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Just been listening to a radio interview with the folk both in charge of
>>investing in the warehouses at Daventry and the boss of Freightliner. They
>>were both complaining that the HS2 descope would affect their ability to
>>run freight trains in the WCML because capacity wasn’t being freed up by
>>HS2. I was thinking why are they expecting the taxpayer to fund their
>>business and why aren’t they contributing to HS2. Where am I going wrong…?
>
>But surely capacity will be freed up on the WCML in the Daventry area?

Probably, but the problem is further north. The plan now is that all
traffic for the North and Scotland will join WCML at Handsacre
(currently on the slow lines, which freight will be using), rather than
further north (Crewe ?), which creates a bottleneck north of Handsacre.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops

Re: HS2 Freight moan

<cv05rilt82g5q7lghho7beuji7p711n986@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=74893&group=uk.railway#74893

From: recliner.usenet@gmail.com (Recliner)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:55:55 +0000
 by: Recliner - Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:55 UTC

On Thu, 25 Jan 2024 15:25:22 +0000, Adrian <bulleid@ku.gro.lioff> wrote:

>In message <r4u4ri9u3ot4q2gconrh3h2thovdh52nol@4ax.com>, Recliner
><recliner.usenet@gmail.com> writes
>>On Wed, 24 Jan 2024 17:52:10 -0000 (UTC), Tweed <usenet.tweed@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Just been listening to a radio interview with the folk both in charge of
>>>investing in the warehouses at Daventry and the boss of Freightliner. They
>>>were both complaining that the HS2 descope would affect their ability to
>>>run freight trains in the WCML because capacity wasn’t being freed up by
>>>HS2. I was thinking why are they expecting the taxpayer to fund their
>>>business and why aren’t they contributing to HS2. Where am I going wrong…?
>>
>>But surely capacity will be freed up on the WCML in the Daventry area?
>
>Probably, but the problem is further north. The plan now is that all
>traffic for the North and Scotland will join WCML at Handsacre
>(currently on the slow lines, which freight will be using), rather than
>further north (Crewe ?), which creates a bottleneck north of Handsacre.

Yes, at the very least, they need to revert to the original Handsacre Junction design, with the HS2 lines connecting to
the fast lines. Ideally, the HS2 extra tracks should continue at least to Colwich Junction, which should be rebuilt as a
grade-separated junction. That way, the Manchester HS2 trains wouldn't use the WCML at all.

Re: HS2 Freight moan

<upou0p$3qm36$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=75247&group=uk.railway#75247

From: matthew@sleeper.apana.org.au (Matthew Geier)
Newsgroups: uk.railway
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2024 08:02:17 +1100
 by: Matthew Geier - Sun, 4 Feb 2024 21:02 UTC

On 25/1/24 05:15, Theo wrote:

>> HS2. I was thinking why are they expecting the taxpayer to fund their
>> business and why aren’t they contributing to HS2. Where am I going wrong…?
>
> Would Eddie Stobart be expected to fund widening of the M6?
> They are, after all, Freightliner's competitor.

Exactly - road freight gets government funded road upgrades, but rail
freight is expected to pay their own upgrades ?

Maybe the road freight industry should be building their own freight
only highways ?

That would remove a major safety issue - the compatibility of the small
passenger car vs an articulated HGV.

Truck drivers will usually blame the 'idiot car driver' for accidents -
and generally they are probably correct - but the basic problem is small
light vehicles operated by barely skilled amateurs and large heavy ones
shouldn't be sharing the same space.

aus+uk / uk.railway / HS2 Freight moan