This is clearly another case of too many mad scientists, and not enough hunchbacks.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Cheap petrol

SubjectAuthor
* Cheap petrolSylvia Else
+* Re: Cheap petrolKeithr0
|`* Re: Cheap petrolXeno
| `* Re: Cheap petrolMighty Mouse
|  `* Re: Cheap petrolXeno
|   `* Re: Cheap petrolMighty Mouse
|    `- Re: Cheap petrolOzix
+* Re: Cheap petrolXeno
|`* Re: Cheap petrolSylvia Else
| +- Re: Cheap petrolXeno
| +* Re: Cheap petrolKeithr0
| |+- Re: Cheap petrolXeno
| |+- Re: Cheap petrolNoddy
| |+- Re: Cheap petrolDaryl
| |`- Re: Cheap petrolMighty Mouse
| +* Re: Cheap petrolNoddy
| |`- Re: Cheap petrolDaryl
| +- Re: Cheap petrolalvey
| `- Re: Cheap petrolClocky
+* Re: Cheap petrolNoddy
|`- Re: Cheap petrolalvey
+* Re: Cheap petrolDaryl
|`- Re: Cheap petrolalvey
+* Re: Cheap petrolMighty Mouse
|`* Re: Cheap petrollindsay
| `* Re: Cheap petrolMighty Mouse
|  +* Re: Cheap petrollindsay
|  |+- Re: Cheap petrolDaryl
|  |`* Re: Cheap petrolMighty Mouse
|  | `* Re: Cheap petrollindsay
|  |  `- Re: Cheap petrolMighty Mouse
|  `* Re: Cheap petrolXeno
|   +* Re: Cheap petrolMighty Mouse
|   |`* Re: Cheap petrolClocky
|   | `- Re: Cheap petrolMighty Mouse
|   `- Re: Cheap petrollindsay
`* Re: Cheap petrolMighty Mouse
 `* Re: Cheap petrolClocky
  `- Re: Cheap petrolMighty Mouse

Pages:12
Cheap petrol

<l1gpmcFbolvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32673&group=aus.cars#32673

From: sylvia@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Cheap petrol
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 15:10:52 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 04:10 UTC

A couple of petrol stations near me seem to have adopted the low-price,
high-volume business model, and people are queuing up there to buy
petrol at less than $1.60, even to the extent of blocking a lane on the
70km/h road.

Sheesh, guys, if you're that petrol price sensitive, why are you buying
huge gas-guzzling SUVs?

Sylvia.

Re: Cheap petrol

<l1gt8eFd2edU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32674&group=aus.cars#32674

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Cheap petrol
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 15:11:42 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 05:11 UTC

On 26/01/2024 2:10 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> A couple of petrol stations near me seem to have adopted the low-price,
> high-volume business model, and people are queuing up there to buy
> petrol at less than $1.60, even to the extent of blocking a lane on the
> 70km/h road.

Half your luck, most petrol around here is $2.11, I could drive to
Deception Bay and save $8.00 on a tank full, but it would cost $8.64 in
petrol and an hour of my time round trip so there is no point.

> Sheesh, guys, if you're that petrol price sensitive, why are you buying
> huge gas-guzzling SUVs?

Even with an economical car, if you're passing a servo with cheap
petrol, you'll likely go for it.

Re: Cheap petrol

<l1h1kaFdijdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32675&group=aus.cars#32675

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:26:17 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 06:26 UTC

On 26/1/2024 4:11 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 26/01/2024 2:10 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> A couple of petrol stations near me seem to have adopted the
>> low-price, high-volume business model, and people are queuing up there
>> to buy petrol at less than $1.60, even to the extent of blocking a
>> lane on the 70km/h road.
>
> Half your luck, most petrol around here is $2.11, I could drive to
> Deception Bay and save $8.00 on a tank full, but it would cost $8.64 in
> petrol and an hour of my time round trip so there is no point.

Hmmm, 91 Ron has been fairly steady here at $1.82 for many months now.
Even now, in the school holidays, it hasn't ramped up.

>> Sheesh, guys, if you're that petrol price sensitive, why are you
>> buying huge gas-guzzling SUVs?
>
> Even with an economical car, if you're passing a servo with cheap
> petrol, you'll likely go for it.

Depends on the servo. Some servos I'll bypass even if they are cheaper -
because they are known to sell crappy petrol. I'll also only use high
turnover fuel stops.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Cheap petrol

<l1h2vvFdijdU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32676&group=aus.cars#32676

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 17:49:32 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 06:49 UTC

On 26/1/2024 3:10 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> A couple of petrol stations near me seem to have adopted the low-price,
> high-volume business model, and people are queuing up there to buy
> petrol at less than $1.60, even to the extent of blocking a lane on the
> 70km/h road.

If there were long queues you wouldn't be seeing me there. I will drop
in to a cheap petrol servo, *if convenient* and I am already passing by,
but I won't go out of my way to hunt out cheap petrol. But then, since I
drive a small 4 cylinder economical runabout, there is simply no need.

> Sheesh, guys, if you're that petrol price sensitive, why are you buying
> huge gas-guzzling SUVs?

Let me take a stab at answering that one: the needs of their ego
(manhood substitutes) are greater than the depths of their wallets. The
number of huge 4x4 utes and SUVs being used *primarily* as shopping
trolleys and school taxis in urban Australia indicate that.

Lots of 4x4 utes up here but most are actually *used* for their intended
purposes. No doubt that's the norm in rural Australia.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Cheap petrol

<l1h7bsFeqpdU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32677&group=aus.cars#32677

From: sylvia@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 19:04:12 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 08:04 UTC

On 26-Jan-24 5:49 pm, Xeno wrote:

> Lots of 4x4 utes up here but most are actually *used* for their intended
> purposes. No doubt that's the norm in rural Australia.

On that subject, I happened to see a current model Range Rover the other
day. Unlike the one from a few decades ago, the current model didn't
really suggest suitability for going off road where necessary.

I suppose I could be wrong about that.

Sylvia.

Re: Cheap petrol

<l1h82mFf0uvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32678&group=aus.cars#32678

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 19:16:21 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 08:16 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 26/1/2024 4:11 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
>> On 26/01/2024 2:10 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>>> A couple of petrol stations near me seem to have adopted the
>>> low-price, high-volume business model, and people are queuing up
>>> there to buy petrol at less than $1.60, even to the extent of
>>> blocking a lane on the 70km/h road.
>>
>> Half your luck, most petrol around here is $2.11, I could drive to
>> Deception Bay and save $8.00 on a tank full, but it would cost $8.64
>> in petrol and an hour of my time round trip so there is no point.
>
> Hmmm, 91 Ron has been fairly steady here at $1.82 for many months now.
> Even now, in the school holidays, it hasn't ramped up.
>>
>>> Sheesh, guys, if you're that petrol price sensitive, why are you
>>> buying huge gas-guzzling SUVs?
>>
>> Even with an economical car, if you're passing a servo with cheap
>> petrol, you'll likely go for it.
>>
> Depends on the servo. Some servos I'll bypass even if they are cheaper
> - because they are known to sell crappy petrol. I'll also only use
> high turnover fuel stops.

I only use Ampol in the ZS

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: Cheap petrol

<l1h8o9FdijdU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32679&group=aus.cars#32679

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 19:27:53 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 08:27 UTC

On 26/1/2024 7:04 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 26-Jan-24 5:49 pm, Xeno wrote:
>
>> Lots of 4x4 utes up here but most are actually *used* for their
>> intended purposes. No doubt that's the norm in rural Australia.
>
> On that subject, I happened to see a current model Range Rover the other
> day. Unlike the one from a few decades ago, the current model didn't
> really suggest suitability for going off road where necessary.

I would suggest that the new Range Rover's off-road capability is
somewhat compromised by the need for poseur creature comforts. If you
wanted real off-road capability, the Defender was the vehicle of choice.

> I suppose I could be wrong about that.

I'd prefer the Land Cruiser. If (not when) it broke down, at least you
would be able to get parts in short order. The Rangie? Not so much.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Cheap petrol

<l1hab4FdijdU4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32680&group=aus.cars#32680

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 19:55:00 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 08:55 UTC

On 26/1/2024 7:16 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Xeno wrote:
>>>
>>> Half your luck, most petrol around here is $2.11, I could drive to
>>> Deception Bay and save $8.00 on a tank full, but it would cost $8.64
>>> in petrol and an hour of my time round trip so there is no point.
>>
>> Hmmm, 91 Ron has been fairly steady here at $1.82 for many months now.
>> Even now, in the school holidays, it hasn't ramped up.

>>> Even with an economical car, if you're passing a servo with cheap
>>> petrol, you'll likely go for it.
>>>
>> Depends on the servo. Some servos I'll bypass even if they are cheaper
>> - because they are known to sell crappy petrol. I'll also only use
>> high turnover fuel stops.
>>

> I only use Ampol in the ZS

So why don't you use *Caltex*? The servo I primarily use has recently
been rebranded as Ampol *from* Caltex. Ampol is, or was, Caltex, but
they had to change because of licencing changes by Chevron??. That said,
I am a bit agnostic on brands and on the last two occasions I have
filled up at a Liberty pump more proximally located.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Cheap petrol

<l1hcjgFfuheU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32681&group=aus.cars#32681

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 20:33:33 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:33 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 26/1/2024 7:16 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:

>>> Hmmm, 91 Ron has been fairly steady here at $1.82 for many months
>>> now. Even now, in the school holidays, it hasn't ramped up.

>>> Depends on the servo. Some servos I'll bypass even if they are
>>> cheaper - because they are known to sell crappy petrol. I'll also
>>> only use high turnover fuel stops.
>>>

>> I only use Ampol in the ZS
>>
> So why don't you use *Caltex*?

Ampol is Caltex. there aren't any Caltex servos here anymore

> The servo I primarily use has recently been rebranded as Ampol *from*
> Caltex. Ampol is, or was, Caltex, but they had to change because of
> licencing changes by Chevron??. That said, I am a bit agnostic on
> brands and on the last two occasions I have filled up at a Liberty
> pump more proximally located.

there are other servos closer than the Ampol servo I use

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: Cheap petrol

<l1hd3tFg02qU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32682&group=aus.cars#32682

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 19:42:21 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:42 UTC

On 26/01/2024 6:04 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 26-Jan-24 5:49 pm, Xeno wrote:
>
>> Lots of 4x4 utes up here but most are actually *used* for their
>> intended purposes. No doubt that's the norm in rural Australia.
>
> On that subject, I happened to see a current model Range Rover the other
> day. Unlike the one from a few decades ago, the current model didn't
> really suggest suitability for going off road where necessary.
>
> I suppose I could be wrong about that.

When I lived in Sydney, I'd often see a Range Rover that had 2 stickers
on the rear window. One was the crest of an expensive private boys
school, the other said "Poverty is owning a horse". Had I been living in
poverty, I'd have trashed the thing.

Re: Cheap petrol

<l1hdgcFdijdU5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32683&group=aus.cars#32683

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 20:49:00 +1100
 by: Xeno - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 09:49 UTC

On 26/1/2024 8:42 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 26/01/2024 6:04 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> On 26-Jan-24 5:49 pm, Xeno wrote:
>>
>>> Lots of 4x4 utes up here but most are actually *used* for their
>>> intended purposes. No doubt that's the norm in rural Australia.
>>
>> On that subject, I happened to see a current model Range Rover the
>> other day. Unlike the one from a few decades ago, the current model
>> didn't really suggest suitability for going off road where necessary.
>>
>> I suppose I could be wrong about that.
>
> When I lived in Sydney, I'd often see a Range Rover that had 2 stickers
> on the rear window. One was the crest of an expensive private boys
> school, the other said "Poverty is owning a horse". Had I been living in
> poverty, I'd have trashed the thing.

True poverty is owning a racehorse - unless it wins.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Cheap petrol

<up036v$2pqj4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32684&group=aus.cars#32684

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 21:57:36 +1100
 by: Noddy - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:57 UTC

On 26/01/2024 3:10 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> A couple of petrol stations near me seem to have adopted the low-price,
> high-volume business model, and people are queuing up there to buy
> petrol at less than $1.60, even to the extent of blocking a lane on the
> 70km/h road.
>
> Sheesh, guys, if you're that petrol price sensitive, why are you buying
> huge gas-guzzling SUVs?

The choice of vehicle has got little to do with most people being
willing to grab a bargain when they see it.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Cheap petrol

<up03a0$2pqj4$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32685&group=aus.cars#32685

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 21:59:13 +1100
 by: Noddy - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 10:59 UTC

On 26/01/2024 7:04 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 26-Jan-24 5:49 pm, Xeno wrote:
>
>> Lots of 4x4 utes up here but most are actually *used* for their
>> intended purposes. No doubt that's the norm in rural Australia.
>
> On that subject, I happened to see a current model Range Rover the other
> day. Unlike the one from a few decades ago, the current model didn't
> really suggest suitability for going off road where necessary.

You could say the exact same thing about every 4x4 on the market today.

> I suppose I could be wrong about that.

I'd bet money on that being the case.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Cheap petrol

<up03dc$2pqj4$3@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32686&group=aus.cars#32686

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:01:00 +1100
 by: Noddy - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:01 UTC

On 26/01/2024 8:42 pm, Keithr0 wrote:

> When I lived in Sydney, I'd often see a Range Rover that had 2 stickers
> on the rear window. One was the crest of an expensive private boys
> school, the other said "Poverty is owning a horse". Had I been living in
> poverty, I'd have trashed the thing.

Really? That says a hell of a lot about you, and none of it's good.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Cheap petrol

<l1hkibFhb59U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32687&group=aus.cars#32687

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:49:30 +1100
 by: Daryl - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:49 UTC

On 26/1/2024 3:10 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> A couple of petrol stations near me seem to have adopted the low-price,
> high-volume business model, and people are queuing up there to buy
> petrol at less than $1.60, even to the extent of blocking a lane on the
> 70km/h road.
>
> Sheesh, guys, if you're that petrol price sensitive, why are you buying
> huge gas-guzzling SUVs?

Prices have dropped in Melb too, I paid 179cpl for 95 a couple of days ago.
Its more likely that people who drive cheap cars are the ones looking
for the cheapest fuel, they might be low income earners or just cheap as
in MG buyers.
The owners of "huge gas-guzzling SUV's" probably don't care about fuel
costs not that there is all that many of those anyway.
Its incorrect to look at a large vehicle and assume that its a
"gas-guzzling", many would be diesels some of which can be relatively
economical.

--
Daryl

Re: Cheap petrol

<l1hkm4Fhb59U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32688&group=aus.cars#32688

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:51:32 +1100
 by: Daryl - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:51 UTC

On 26/1/2024 8:42 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 26/01/2024 6:04 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> On 26-Jan-24 5:49 pm, Xeno wrote:
>>
>>> Lots of 4x4 utes up here but most are actually *used* for their
>>> intended purposes. No doubt that's the norm in rural Australia.
>>
>> On that subject, I happened to see a current model Range Rover the
>> other day. Unlike the one from a few decades ago, the current model
>> didn't really suggest suitability for going off road where necessary.
>>
>> I suppose I could be wrong about that.
>
> When I lived in Sydney, I'd often see a Range Rover that had 2 stickers
> on the rear window. One was the crest of an expensive private boys
> school, the other said "Poverty is owning a horse". Had I been living in
> poverty, I'd have trashed the thing.

LOL, I think that the sticker meant that it costs a lot of money to own
a horse and they will keep you poor:-)

--
Daryl

Re: Cheap petrol

<l1hl0iFhb59U3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32689&group=aus.cars#32689

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 22:57:06 +1100
 by: Daryl - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 11:57 UTC

On 26/1/2024 9:59 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 26/01/2024 7:04 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> On 26-Jan-24 5:49 pm, Xeno wrote:
>>
>>> Lots of 4x4 utes up here but most are actually *used* for their
>>> intended purposes. No doubt that's the norm in rural Australia.
>>
>> On that subject, I happened to see a current model Range Rover the
>> other day. Unlike the one from a few decades ago, the current model
>> didn't really suggest suitability for going off road where necessary.
>
> You could say the exact same thing about every 4x4 on the market today.

True, they usually come with road tyres from the factory, changing to
more aggressive off road tyres makes a huge difference to off road
capability.

>> I suppose I could be wrong about that.
>
> I'd bet money on that being the case.

Me too, I've seen lots of off road tests on late model 4WD's including
luxurious looking Range Rovers and they are very capable even on stock
tyres, the electronic wizardry they come with these days makes up for
the lack of grippy tyres.

--
Daryl

Re: Cheap petrol

<l1hm6iFhp4hU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32690&group=aus.cars#32690

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 23:17:19 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 12:17 UTC

Keithr0 wrote:
> On 26/01/2024 6:04 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> On 26-Jan-24 5:49 pm, Xeno wrote:
>>
>>> Lots of 4x4 utes up here but most are actually *used* for their
>>> intended purposes. No doubt that's the norm in rural Australia.
>>
>> On that subject, I happened to see a current model Range Rover the
>> other day. Unlike the one from a few decades ago, the current model
>> didn't really suggest suitability for going off road where necessary.
>>
>> I suppose I could be wrong about that.
>
> When I lived in Sydney, I'd often see a Range Rover that had 2
> stickers on the rear window. One was the crest of an expensive private
> boys school, the other said "Poverty is owning a horse". Had I been
> living in poverty, I'd have trashed the thing.

nasty

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: Cheap petrol

<65b3b5da$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32691&group=aus.cars#32691

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: ozix@xizo.am (Ozix)
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2024 21:38:34 +0800
 by: Ozix - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 13:38 UTC

Mighty Mouse wrote:

> Ampol is Caltex. there aren't any Caltex servos here anymore
>
>> The servo I primarily use has recently been rebranded as Ampol *from*
>> Caltex. Ampol is, or was, Caltex, but they had to change because of
>> licencing changes by Chevron??. That said, I am a bit agnostic on
>> brands and on the last two occasions I have filled up at a Liberty
>> pump more proximally located.

There is Caltex in WA. They took over one of the independents, after old
Caltex became Ampol. Confused a lot of people.

Re: Cheap petrol

<up13lj$30log$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32692&group=aus.cars#32692

From: Hans.Andnees@gmail.com (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 06:11:32 +1000
 by: alvey - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 20:11 UTC

Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 26-Jan-24 5:49 pm, Xeno wrote:
>
>> Lots of 4x4 utes up here but most are actually *used* for their
>> intended purposes. No doubt that's the norm in rural Australia.
>
> On that subject, I happened to see a current model Range Rover the other
> day. Unlike the one from a few decades ago, the current model didn't
> really suggest suitability for going off road where necessary.
>
> I suppose I could be wrong about that.

I think you're confused. Iirc, the 'real' off-roader was the Landrover,
the *Range Rover* was the vehicle responsible for the derogatory term
"Chelsea Tractor". Again, iirc, it didn't even have a low range.

alvey

Re: Cheap petrol

<up15cc$30v9d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32693&group=aus.cars#32693

From: Hans.Andnees@gmail.com (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 06:40:43 +1000
 by: alvey - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 20:40 UTC

Noddy wrote:
> On 26/01/2024 3:10 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> A couple of petrol stations near me seem to have adopted the
>> low-price, high-volume business model, and people are queuing up there
>> to buy petrol at less than $1.60, even to the extent of blocking a
>> lane on the 70km/h road.
>>
>> Sheesh, guys, if you're that petrol price sensitive, why are you
>> buying huge gas-guzzling SUVs?
>
> The choice of vehicle has got little to do with most people being
> willing to grab a bargain when they see it.

Dear Mr Blithering-Idiot,

Weasel and red herring all you like, but Ms Else's comment is a telling
contradiction.

Speaking of 'Contradiction', it has a werry cwose fwend in Bwumhole
Wictoria called Double-Standard... It'd be you bashing out shedloads of
posts hissing how Toyota buyers are mindless victims of Toyotas' PR
image, but never a peep from you about all the suburban slobs who drool
over the tv ads of Hulksters tearing through the bush at Warp Factor 3
and then rush out to borrow money and buy one. Just how dumb are these
slobs hey Fraudster? Fancy thinking that driving one of these hideous,
dangerous and incredibly impractical shitheaps will magically turn them
into a Real Man. Soooo gullible hey.

alvey

Re: Cheap petrol

<up15gs$30v9d$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32694&group=aus.cars#32694

From: Hans.Andnees@gmail.com (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 06:43:08 +1000
 by: alvey - Fri, 26 Jan 2024 20:43 UTC

Daryl wrote:
> On 26/1/2024 3:10 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> A couple of petrol stations near me seem to have adopted the
>> low-price, high-volume business model, and people are queuing up there
>> to buy petrol at less than $1.60, even to the extent of blocking a
>> lane on the 70km/h road.
>>
>> Sheesh, guys, if you're that petrol price sensitive, why are you
>> buying huge gas-guzzling SUVs?
>>

> Prices have dropped in Melb too, I paid 179cpl for 95 a couple of days ago.
> Its more likely that people who drive cheap cars are the ones looking
> for the cheapest fuel, they might be low income earners or just cheap as
> in MG buyers.
> The owners of "huge gas-guzzling SUV's" probably don't care about fuel
> costs not that there is all that many of those anyway.
> Its incorrect to look at a large vehicle and assume that its a
> "gas-guzzling", many would be diesels some of which can be relatively
> economical.

"Relative" to what Deryl? A tank?

Re: Cheap petrol

<up1ksj$337ja$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32695&group=aus.cars#32695

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 09:05:21 +0800
 by: Clocky - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 01:05 UTC

On 26/01/2024 4:04 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 26-Jan-24 5:49 pm, Xeno wrote:
>
>> Lots of 4x4 utes up here but most are actually *used* for their
>> intended purposes. No doubt that's the norm in rural Australia.
>
> On that subject, I happened to see a current model Range Rover the other
> day. Unlike the one from a few decades ago, the current model didn't
> really suggest suitability for going off road where necessary.
>
> I suppose I could be wrong about that.
>
> Sylvia.

They haven't been suitable for going off-road since forever.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: Cheap petrol

<l1kbtpF1l14U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32696&group=aus.cars#32696

From: "squeak!"@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2024 23:40:24 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 12:40 UTC

Sylvia Else wrote:
> A couple of petrol stations near me seem to have adopted the
> low-price, high-volume business model, and people are queuing up there
> to buy petrol at less than $1.60, even to the extent of blocking a
> lane on the 70km/h road.
>
> Sheesh, guys, if you're that petrol price sensitive, why are you
> buying huge gas-guzzling SUVs?

$2.21 a litre here today

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: Cheap petrol

<pEdtN.314233$xHn7.205289@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32697&group=aus.cars#32697

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: noneofyour@biz.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Sun, 28 Jan 2024 07:24:51 +1100
 by: lindsay - Sat, 27 Jan 2024 20:24 UTC

On 27/01/2024 11:40 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Sylvia Else wrote:
>> A couple of petrol stations near me seem to have adopted the
>> low-price, high-volume business model, and people are queuing up there
>> to buy petrol at less than $1.60, even to the extent of blocking a
>> lane on the 70km/h road.
>>
>> Sheesh, guys, if you're that petrol price sensitive, why are you
>> buying huge gas-guzzling SUVs?
>
> $2.21 a litre here today

$1.75 at plenty of places. Why you've picked out the most expensive is
strange...

aus+uk / aus.cars / Cheap petrol

Pages:12