Diplomacy is the art of letting the other party have things your way. -- Daniele Vare

aus+uk / aus.cars / Step drills

SubjectAuthor
* Step drillsKeithr0
+- Re: Step drillsXeno
+- Re: Step drillsDaryl
+- Re: Step drillsNoddy
+* Re: Step drillsTrevor Wilson
|`- Re: Step drillsNoddy
+- Re: Step drillsClocky
`* Re: Step drillsKeithr0
 +- Re: Step drillsTrevor Wilson
 +- Re: Step drillsNoddy
 `- Re: Step drillsClocky

1
Step drills

<l0pf24Fjc7kU7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32478&group=aus.cars#32478

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Step drills
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 17:48:20 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 07:48 UTC

Any opinions out there? I always thought of them a butchers tools, but
I'm seeing them used a lot on the internet for sheet metal work. I
suppose that it saves using a separate pilot drill.

Re: Step drills

<l0ph7sFka4tU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32486&group=aus.cars#32486

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Step drills
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 19:25:32 +1100
 by: Xeno - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 08:25 UTC

On 17/1/2024 6:48 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> Any opinions out there? I always thought of them a butchers tools, but
> I'm seeing them used a lot on the internet for sheet metal work. I
> suppose that it saves using a separate pilot drill.

Far better than using a hole say for, say, antenna mounting.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Step drills

<l0phekFk3kmU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32487&group=aus.cars#32487

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 19:29:08 +1100
 by: Daryl - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 08:29 UTC

On 17/1/2024 6:48 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> Any opinions out there? I always thought of them a butchers tools, but
> I'm seeing them used a lot on the internet for sheet metal work. I
> suppose that it saves using a separate pilot drill.

The sparkies I used to work with doing solar installs used them all the
time, much easier than have a box of hole saws and charging arbors all
the time, also a lot cheaper.
Not good if you need a hole with a precise dimension but very good for
making a hole for a cable to pass through a metal roof or for holes in
plastic electrical boxes.

--
Daryl

Re: Step drills

<uo88od$1uqav$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32496&group=aus.cars#32496

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:04:58 +1100
 by: Noddy - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 10:04 UTC

On 17/01/2024 6:48 pm, Keithr0 wrote:

> Any opinions out there? I always thought of them a butchers tools, but
> I'm seeing them used a lot on the internet for sheet metal work. I
> suppose that it saves using a separate pilot drill.

They're great.

The problem with sheet metal, and especially for larger holes, is that
the flutes on a conventional twist drill can grab very easily, and make
a mess of either the hole or the operator or sometimes both. Stepped
drills work well because each step acts as it's own support and keeps
the drill centred in the hole while making the cut.

They work best on sheet metal, but they're not limited to that use. I
used them on anything up to around 5mm if I just have to drill a single
hole, and was using one today as it happens to drill through a 3mm thick
diff housing to install a custom made drain plug bung.

On thicker materials spiral flutes leave a cleaner hole, whereas on
sheet metal spiral or straight flutes don't seem to make much difference.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Step drills

<l0qumuF4i5pU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32509&group=aus.cars#32509

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 08:21:34 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Wed, 17 Jan 2024 21:21 UTC

On 17/01/2024 6:48 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> Any opinions out there? I always thought of them a butchers tools, but
> I'm seeing them used a lot on the internet for sheet metal work. I
> suppose that it saves using a separate pilot drill.

**I bought my first step drill about 20 years ago. American made. Cost
me a fair chunk of cash. Worth every cent. One nice thing about (my)
step drill, is that it de-burrs the hole, as it drills. I have a couple
of cheap, Chinese ones. They work fine, but my American made one is
better and doesn't seem to lose it's edge.

Re: Step drills

<uo9rkp$28fs8$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32512&group=aus.cars#32512

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 11:33:32 +1100
 by: Noddy - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 00:33 UTC

On 18/01/2024 8:21 am, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 17/01/2024 6:48 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
>> Any opinions out there? I always thought of them a butchers tools, but
>> I'm seeing them used a lot on the internet for sheet metal work. I
>> suppose that it saves using a separate pilot drill.
>
> **I bought my first step drill about 20 years ago. American made. Cost
> me a fair chunk of cash. Worth every cent. One nice thing about (my)
> step drill, is that it de-burrs the hole, as it drills.

Most of them do. In fact I can't recall seeing one that doesn't. The
leading edge of the next step acts as a countersink to help get the next
size bigger hole started.

> I have a couple of cheap, Chinese ones. They work fine, but my American made one is
> better and doesn't seem to lose it's edge.

Depends what you're doing with them. For basic sheet metal work the
brand or type doesn't seem to make much difference. For thicker stuff a
quality spiral flute drill makes all the difference in the world.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Step drills

<uo9smn$28kvq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32513&group=aus.cars#32513

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2024 08:50:56 +0800
 by: Clocky - Thu, 18 Jan 2024 00:50 UTC

On 17/01/2024 3:48 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> Any opinions out there? I always thought of them a butchers tools, but
> I'm seeing them used a lot on the internet for sheet metal work. I
> suppose that it saves using a separate pilot drill.

They're brilliant, I use them all the time. The benefit of using a step
drill on sheet metal (or plastic when fitting 12V sockets and what have
you) is that they don't grab and twist which not only fucks the hole but
in the case of metal can potentially cause injury.

I even use mine on 3mm-4mm steel plate without any problems so far from
being a 'butchers tool' they are the opposite of that. I do drill a 1/8
pilot hole first though.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: Step drills

<l195c5FptgrU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32602&group=aus.cars#32602

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 16:41:10 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 06:41 UTC

On 17/01/2024 5:48 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> Any opinions out there? I always thought of them a butchers tools, but
> I'm seeing them used a lot on the internet for sheet metal work. I
> suppose that it saves using a separate pilot drill.

Thanks to every-one who responded, I stopped by Total Tools and bought
one. I was attracted to a Milwaukee made from unobtainium, but settled
for a simple HSS item with a spiral flute, most of my work is in
aluminium so it should suffice.

Re: Step drills

<l19b8iFru9jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32603&group=aus.cars#32603

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 19:21:37 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 08:21 UTC

On 23/01/2024 5:41 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 17/01/2024 5:48 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
>> Any opinions out there? I always thought of them a butchers tools, but
>> I'm seeing them used a lot on the internet for sheet metal work. I
>> suppose that it saves using a separate pilot drill.
>
> Thanks to every-one who responded, I stopped by Total Tools and bought
> one. I was attracted to a Milwaukee made from unobtainium, but settled
> for a simple HSS item with a spiral flute, most of my work is in
> aluminium so it should suffice.

**Nice. You avoided the Milwaukee tax.

Re: Step drills

<uont1p$16rd5$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32604&group=aus.cars#32604

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 19:23:18 +1100
 by: Noddy - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 08:23 UTC

On 23/01/2024 5:41 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 17/01/2024 5:48 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
>> Any opinions out there? I always thought of them a butchers tools, but
>> I'm seeing them used a lot on the internet for sheet metal work. I
>> suppose that it saves using a separate pilot drill.
>
> Thanks to every-one who responded, I stopped by Total Tools and bought
> one. I was attracted to a Milwaukee made from unobtainium, but settled
> for a simple HSS item with a spiral flute, most of my work is in
> aluminium so it should suffice.

It'll do fine.

> https://ibb.co/whfkzNk

That's a no name brand "wrong-Fu" HHS sprial flute step drill cutting a
30mm hole in an 8mm thick steel diff housing, and it does it pretty
easily. Keep the RPM at a respectable level, use a lubricant and it will
last for some time. So much so that you'll wonder why anyone bothers
buying the expensive ones :)

If you're wondering what lube to use on Ally then Kero works. CRC556 is
very good. This stuff works on anything and is a great all rounder.

> https://crcindustries.com.au/crc-trefolex-cdt-cutting-oil-300g-3063/

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Step drills

<uoo4o5$17vf7$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=32613&group=aus.cars#32613

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2024 18:34:44 +0800
 by: Clocky - Tue, 23 Jan 2024 10:34 UTC

On 23/01/2024 2:41 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> On 17/01/2024 5:48 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
>> Any opinions out there? I always thought of them a butchers tools, but
>> I'm seeing them used a lot on the internet for sheet metal work. I
>> suppose that it saves using a separate pilot drill.
>
> Thanks to every-one who responded, I stopped by Total Tools and bought
> one. I was attracted to a Milwaukee made from unobtainium, but settled
> for a simple HSS item with a spiral flute, most of my work is in
> aluminium so it should suffice.

Use lubricant when drilling.