Don't look back, the lemmings are gaining on you.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Large holes in reinforcement platesSylvia Else
+- OT: Large holes in reinforcement plateslindsay
+- OT: Large holes in reinforcement platesPeter Jason
+- OT: Large holes in reinforcement platesTrevor Wilson
+- OT: Large holes in reinforcement platesMighty Mouse
`* OT: Large holes in reinforcement platesSylvia Else
 +- OT: Large holes in reinforcement platesTrevor Wilson
 +* OT: Large holes in reinforcement platesXeno
 |`* OT: Large holes in reinforcement platesMighty Mouse
 | `* OT: Large holes in reinforcement platesXeno
 |  +- OT: Large holes in reinforcement platesMighty Mouse
 |  `* OT: Large holes in reinforcement platesTrevor Wilson
 |   `* OT: Large holes in reinforcement platesDaryl
 |    `- OT: Large holes in reinforcement platesTrevor Wilson
 `- OT: Large holes in reinforcement platesDaryl

1
OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates

<krim5kFmj6cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30294&group=aus.cars#30294

From: sylvia@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:45:24 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 01:45 UTC

https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-100mm-zinc-plated-corner-brace-bracket-4-pack_p2760931

I looked at this in the store, and noticed that the holes in the plate
are much larger than they need to be to accommodate the supplied screws.
So I went to Mitre Ten, to look at the Bremwick equivalent.

But they're the same.

Are they just rebranding the same Chinese rubbish, or is there actually
a reason for this?

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates

<RBV4N.60716$wvv7.31257@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30295&group=aus.cars#30295

Subject: Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates
Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: noneofyour@biz.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:59:12 +1100
 by: lindsay - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 01:59 UTC

On 15/11/2023 12:45 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-100mm-zinc-plated-corner-brace-bracket-4-pack_p2760931
>

> I looked at this in the store, and noticed that the holes in the plate
> are much larger than they need to be to accommodate the supplied screws.
> So I went to Mitre Ten, to look at the Bremwick equivalent.
>
> But they're the same.
>
> Are they just rebranding the same Chinese rubbish, or is there actually
> a reason for this?
>
> Sylvia.

seems to me the holes in the brackets are countersunk so they appear
larger than required..

but yeah, typical chinese rubbish sold by bunnings.

Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates

<0sc8li98k5s28ohhtls6i58cstmi4fd97o@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30300&group=aus.cars#30300

From: pj@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 14:02:05 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 03:02 UTC

On Wed, 15 Nov 2023 12:45:24 +1100, Sylvia Else <sylvia@email.invalid>
wrote:

>https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-100mm-zinc-plated-corner-brace-bracket-4-pack_p2760931
>
>I looked at this in the store, and noticed that the holes in the plate
>are much larger than they need to be to accommodate the supplied screws.
>So I went to Mitre Ten, to look at the Bremwick equivalent.
>
>But they're the same.
>
>Are they just rebranding the same Chinese rubbish, or is there actually
>a reason for this?
>
>Sylvia.

The large holes engage the TOP of the screw which has a conical shape.
Results in an overall flat surface.

For additional securing, rebate the work so the whole angle sits
within.

Of course you can drill additional holes to suit other screws.

I have survived to tell thee....

Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates

<krirskFmt62U4@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30301&group=aus.cars#30301

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 14:23:00 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 03:23 UTC

On 15/11/2023 12:45 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-100mm-zinc-plated-corner-brace-bracket-4-pack_p2760931
>
> I looked at this in the store, and noticed that the holes in the plate
> are much larger than they need to be to accommodate the supplied screws.
> So I went to Mitre Ten, to look at the Bremwick equivalent.
>
> But they're the same.
>
> Are they just rebranding the same Chinese rubbish, or is there actually
> a reason for this?
>
> Sylvia.

**As others have stated, the holes are for countersunk screws. Drill new
holes if you like. FWIW: DO NOT EVEN THINK about using these brackets
outdoors. They'll rust in no time at all.

You may find something in this range:

https://www.bunnings.com.au/products/building-hardware/general-hardware/brackets/reinforcement-brackets

They're (the Carinya range) galvanised and are made from superior
quality steel.

Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates

<kris7lFnoaeU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30304&group=aus.cars#30304

From: meow@pussie.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 14:28:53 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 03:28 UTC

Sylvia Else wrote:
> https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-100mm-zinc-plated-corner-brace-bracket-4-pack_p2760931
>

> I looked at this in the store, and noticed that the holes in the plate
> are much larger than they need to be to accommodate the supplied
> screws. So I went to Mitre Ten, to look at the Bremwick equivalent.
>
> But they're the same.
>
> Are they just rebranding the same Chinese rubbish, or is there
> actually a reason for this?

its so the screw heads sit level with the surface of the plate

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates

<krit6dFnolgU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30306&group=aus.cars#30306

From: sylvia@email.invalid (Sylvia Else)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 14:45:17 +1100
 by: Sylvia Else - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 03:45 UTC

On 15-Nov-23 12:45 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-100mm-zinc-plated-corner-brace-bracket-4-pack_p2760931
>
> I looked at this in the store, and noticed that the holes in the plate
> are much larger than they need to be to accommodate the supplied screws.
> So I went to Mitre Ten, to look at the Bremwick equivalent.
>
> But they're the same.
>
> Are they just rebranding the same Chinese rubbish, or is there actually
> a reason for this?
>
> Sylvia.

OK, people seem to think this relates entirely to countersinking, but a
screw can pass completely through the plate just by seating it in the
hole, and giving the plate a bit of a shake. I'm not sure what the
mechanism is here - maybe the hole is not quite circular, such that when
the head of the screw tilts as a result if the shaking, it can find a
path through. But it does suggest that the area of contact between the
screw and the plate is very small under normal use.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates

<krituhFmt62U5@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30307&group=aus.cars#30307

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 14:58:09 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 03:58 UTC

On 15/11/2023 2:45 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 15-Nov-23 12:45 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-100mm-zinc-plated-corner-brace-bracket-4-pack_p2760931
>>
>> I looked at this in the store, and noticed that the holes in the plate
>> are much larger than they need to be to accommodate the supplied
>> screws. So I went to Mitre Ten, to look at the Bremwick equivalent.
>>
>> But they're the same.
>>
>> Are they just rebranding the same Chinese rubbish, or is there
>> actually a reason for this?
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> OK, people seem to think this relates entirely to countersinking, but a
> screw can pass completely through the plate just by seating it in the
> hole, and giving the plate a bit of a shake. I'm not sure what the
> mechanism is here - maybe the hole is not quite circular, such that when
> the head of the screw tilts as a result if the shaking, it can find a
> path through. But it does suggest that the area of contact between the
> screw and the plate is very small under normal use.
>
> Sylvia.

**Your initial suspicion is correct. They are crap. Look at the ones I
cited, as they are superior quality and you can use your own screws.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/products/building-hardware/general-hardware/brackets/reinforcement-brackets

Carinya branded products are the ones I've used a great deal. Quite
decent quality and galvanised, so they last and are highly water resistant.

Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates

<kriudvFo4i4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30309&group=aus.cars#30309

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 15:06:22 +1100
 by: Xeno - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 04:06 UTC

On 15/11/2023 2:45 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 15-Nov-23 12:45 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-100mm-zinc-plated-corner-brace-bracket-4-pack_p2760931
>>
>> I looked at this in the store, and noticed that the holes in the plate
>> are much larger than they need to be to accommodate the supplied
>> screws. So I went to Mitre Ten, to look at the Bremwick equivalent.
>>
>> But they're the same.
>>
>> Are they just rebranding the same Chinese rubbish, or is there
>> actually a reason for this?
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> OK, people seem to think this relates entirely to countersinking, but a
> screw can pass completely through the plate just by seating it in the
> hole, and giving the plate a bit of a shake. I'm not sure what the
> mechanism is here - maybe the hole is not quite circular, such that when
> the head of the screw tilts as a result if the shaking, it can find a
> path through. But it does suggest that the area of contact between the
> screw and the plate is very small under normal use.
>
> Sylvia.

I tend to agree with you, a smaller hole with more countersink makes
more sense.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates

<krivveFoi88U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30310&group=aus.cars#30310

From: meow@pussie.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 15:32:46 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 04:32 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 15/11/2023 2:45 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> On 15-Nov-23 12:45 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>>> https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-100mm-zinc-plated-corner-brace-bracket-4-pack_p2760931
>>>

>>> I looked at this in the store, and noticed that the holes in the
>>> plate are much larger than they need to be to accommodate the
>>> supplied screws. So I went to Mitre Ten, to look at the Bremwick
>>> equivalent.
>>>
>>> But they're the same.
>>>
>>> Are they just rebranding the same Chinese rubbish, or is there
>>> actually a reason for this?
>>>
>>> Sylvia.
>>
>> OK, people seem to think this relates entirely to countersinking, but
>> a screw can pass completely through the plate just by seating it in
>> the hole, and giving the plate a bit of a shake. I'm not sure what
>> the mechanism is here - maybe the hole is not quite circular, such
>> that when the head of the screw tilts as a result if the shaking, it
>> can find a path through. But it does suggest that the area of contact
>> between the screw and the plate is very small under normal use.
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> I tend to agree with you, a smaller hole with more countersink makes
> more sense.

if she wants to use those brackets, then just use other screws. or else
buy the brackets Trevor said.

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates

<krj05bFoe7nU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30311&group=aus.cars#30311

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 15:35:55 +1100
 by: Xeno - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 04:35 UTC

On 15/11/2023 3:32 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Xeno wrote:

>>> OK, people seem to think this relates entirely to countersinking, but
>>> a screw can pass completely through the plate just by seating it in
>>> the hole, and giving the plate a bit of a shake. I'm not sure what
>>> the mechanism is here - maybe the hole is not quite circular, such
>>> that when the head of the screw tilts as a result if the shaking, it
>>> can find a path through. But it does suggest that the area of contact
>>> between the screw and the plate is very small under normal use.
>>>
>>> Sylvia.
>>
>> I tend to agree with you, a smaller hole with more countersink makes
>> more sense.
>>

> if she wants to use those brackets, then just use other screws. or else
> buy the brackets Trevor said.

No need for gal brackets inside where they won't be exposed to the
weather. I have plated brackets in this house, no rust ergo no need for
gal. If you need to buy *appropriately sized screws*, then sell the
brackets sans screws and inform buyers of correct sizes required. Why
pay for screws that are inappropriate for the task at hand?

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates

<krj128FoqbjU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30313&group=aus.cars#30313

From: meow@pussie.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 15:51:20 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 04:51 UTC

Xeno wrote:
> On 15/11/2023 3:32 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:

>>> I tend to agree with you, a smaller hole with more countersink makes
>>> more sense.
>>>

>> if she wants to use those brackets, then just use other screws. or
>> else buy the brackets Trevor said.
>>
> No need for gal brackets inside where they won't be exposed to the
> weather. I have plated brackets in this house, no rust ergo no need
> for gal.

I've used them too inside the house. no deterioration in decades ..
https://auslink.info/pics/brackets.jpg

> If you need to buy *appropriately sized screws*, then sell the
> brackets sans screws and inform buyers of correct sizes required. Why
> pay for screws that are inappropriate for the task at hand?

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates

<krj28mFmt62U6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30314&group=aus.cars#30314

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:11:50 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 05:11 UTC

On 15/11/2023 3:35 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 15/11/2023 3:32 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Xeno wrote:

>>> I tend to agree with you, a smaller hole with more countersink makes
>>> more sense.
>>>

>> if she wants to use those brackets, then just use other screws. or
>> else buy the brackets Trevor said.
>>
> No need for gal brackets inside where they won't be exposed to the
> weather. I have plated brackets in this house, no rust ergo no need for
> gal. If you need to buy *appropriately sized screws*, then sell the
> brackets sans screws and inform buyers of correct sizes required. Why
> pay for screws that are inappropriate for the task at hand?

**Two things:

I know the brackets referred to. The screws are rubbish and the steel is
the softest available metal.

Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates

<krj4icFpgq4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30317&group=aus.cars#30317

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:51:08 +1100
 by: Daryl - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 05:51 UTC

On 15/11/2023 2:45 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
> On 15-Nov-23 12:45 pm, Sylvia Else wrote:
>> https://www.bunnings.com.au/zenith-100mm-zinc-plated-corner-brace-bracket-4-pack_p2760931
>>
>> I looked at this in the store, and noticed that the holes in the plate
>> are much larger than they need to be to accommodate the supplied
>> screws. So I went to Mitre Ten, to look at the Bremwick equivalent.
>>
>> But they're the same.
>>
>> Are they just rebranding the same Chinese rubbish, or is there
>> actually a reason for this?
>>
>> Sylvia.
>
> OK, people seem to think this relates entirely to countersinking, but a
> screw can pass completely through the plate just by seating it in the
> hole, and giving the plate a bit of a shake. I'm not sure what the
> mechanism is here - maybe the hole is not quite circular, such that when
> the head of the screw tilts as a result if the shaking, it can find a
> path through. But it does suggest that the area of contact between the
> screw and the plate is very small under normal use.

Sounds like whoever packed it supplied the wrong size screws, the head
of the screw shouldn't pass through the hole.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates

<krj4luFpgq4U2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30318&group=aus.cars#30318

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:53:01 +1100
 by: Daryl - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 05:53 UTC

On 15/11/2023 4:11 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:
> On 15/11/2023 3:35 pm, Xeno wrote:

>>> if she wants to use those brackets, then just use other screws. or
>>> else buy the brackets Trevor said.
>>>
>> No need for gal brackets inside where they won't be exposed to the
>> weather. I have plated brackets in this house, no rust ergo no need
>> for gal. If you need to buy *appropriately sized screws*, then sell
>> the brackets sans screws and inform buyers of correct sizes required.
>> Why pay for screws that are inappropriate for the task at hand?
>>

> **Two things:
>
> I know the brackets referred to. The screws are rubbish and the steel is
> the softest available metal.

Its a case of getting what you pay for, pay a very low price and get a
very low quality product.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates

<krj53uFmt62U7@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=30319&group=aus.cars#30319

From: trevor@rageaudio.com.au (Trevor Wilson)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2023 17:00:30 +1100
 by: Trevor Wilson - Wed, 15 Nov 2023 06:00 UTC

On 15/11/2023 4:53 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 15/11/2023 4:11 pm, Trevor Wilson wrote:

>>> No need for gal brackets inside where they won't be exposed to the
>>> weather. I have plated brackets in this house, no rust ergo no need
>>> for gal. If you need to buy *appropriately sized screws*, then sell
>>> the brackets sans screws and inform buyers of correct sizes required.
>>> Why pay for screws that are inappropriate for the task at hand?
>>>

>> **Two things:
>>
>> I know the brackets referred to. The screws are rubbish and the steel
>> is the softest available metal.
>>

> Its a case of getting what you pay for, pay a very low price and get a
> very low quality product.

**Mostly that's the case with Bunnings. Some time ago I wanted some of
those nice drawer runners for my workshop bench. The helpful Bunnings
employee directed me to the kitchen department. The cost of the runners
horrified me. I thought I would look to a different solution, when I
wandered down the aisle where they sell brackets and such. There were
exactly the drawer runners I wanted at less than half the cost of the
kitchen ones. Same quality, ordinary packaging. What do I care about
packaging?

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: OT: Large holes in reinforcement plates