No yak too dirty; no dumpster too hollow.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Thermostat....

SubjectAuthor
* Thermostat....lindsay
+- Thermostat....Noddy
+* Thermostat....Daryl
|`- Thermostat....Xeno
`- Thermostat....Clocky

1
Thermostat....

<tpJ0N.275544$2fS.36689@fx16.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29290&group=aus.cars#29290

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Subject: Thermostat....
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 19:50:28 +1100
 by: lindsay - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 08:50 UTC

a car related question: 2021 Ranger 2.0 4cly bi-turbo engine.

seems to take ages to get to running temp; maybe at *least* 5 klms in
the morning. Are there other thermoststs available that open quicker? I
guess it's nothing to worry about, I dont do 2k to work every morning
anymore, but it's something i've always wondered. due for it's 6 month
oil change, so was thinking i may get it changed...

Re: Thermostat....

<uhvrgj$24ffm$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29292&group=aus.cars#29292

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: Thermostat....
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 20:52:20 +1100
 by: Noddy - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 09:52 UTC

On 2/11/2023 7:50 pm, lindsay wrote:
>  a car related question: 2021 Ranger 2.0 4cly bi-turbo engine.
>
> seems to take ages to get to running temp; maybe at *least* 5 klms in
> the morning. Are there other thermoststs available that open quicker? I
> guess it's nothing to worry about, I dont do 2k to work every morning
> anymore, but it's something i've always wondered. due for it's 6 month
> oil change, so was thinking i may get it changed...

Having one that opens quicker will make the engine take longer to warm
up, as cold coolant from the radiator will be introduced to the engine
sooner and keep the engine cooler for longer. In the old days fitting a
"hotter" thermostat, as in one that stayed closed longer, was the fix
for cars that took a while to reach operating temperature and generally
ran too cold, but I'm not sure if that's an option on a lot of today's
stuff.

I haven't heard anyone on any of the Ranger forums talk about warm up
problems, so I'm guessing that what you're experiencing is fairly
normal. Mine's around the same and it's nothing to worry about.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: Thermostat....

<kqhejtFf79fU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29297&group=aus.cars#29297

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 22:14:05 +1100
 by: Daryl - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 11:14 UTC

On 2/11/2023 7:50 pm, lindsay wrote:
>  a car related question: 2021 Ranger 2.0 4cly bi-turbo engine.
>
> seems to take ages to get to running temp; maybe at *least* 5 klms in
> the morning. Are there other thermoststs available that open quicker? I
> guess it's nothing to worry about, I dont do 2k to work every morning
> anymore, but it's something i've always wondered. due for it's 6 month
> oil change, so was thinking i may get it changed...

Sounds pretty normal for a diesel, my Hilux used to take forever to warm
up unlike our Subaru which was warm enough to get heat from the vents in
less than one km.
As Noddy said opening the thermostat quicker will have the opposite
effect, you could ask the service dept about it but I don't like the
chances of them being able to do anything about it.

--
Daryl

Re: Thermostat....

<kqhkobFgscqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29298&group=aus.cars#29298

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 23:58:50 +1100
 by: Xeno - Thu, 2 Nov 2023 12:58 UTC

On 2/11/2023 10:14 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 2/11/2023 7:50 pm, lindsay wrote:
>>   a car related question: 2021 Ranger 2.0 4cly bi-turbo engine.
>>
>> seems to take ages to get to running temp; maybe at *least* 5 klms in
>> the morning. Are there other thermoststs available that open quicker?
>> I guess it's nothing to worry about, I dont do 2k to work every
>> morning anymore, but it's something i've always wondered. due for it's
>> 6 month oil change, so was thinking i may get it changed...
>

> Sounds pretty normal for a diesel, my Hilux used to take forever to warm
> up unlike our Subaru which was warm enough to get heat from the vents in
> less than one km.
> As Noddy said opening the thermostat quicker will have the opposite
> effect, you could ask the service dept about it but I don't like the
> chances of them being able to do anything about it.

Diesels tend to have lower exhaust temperatures, more so with a turbo
removing heat, so cat light off tends to be slow. To get the cat to
light off faster, it will need to heat up faster. One strategy for doing
that is opening the exhaust valve earlier in the power stroke during the
warmup phase and letting the remnants of the combustion process apply
more heat more quickly to the cat. The downside is that fuel consumption
goes up by some 4% during the warm up phase, power goes down, and less
heat is fed into the engine coolant - hence slower engine warmup. And
you're pumping coolant heat into the trans cooler to give a rapid warmup
to the trans fluid as well. I don't know if the Ranger uses that
strategy but I wouldn't be at all surprised. There are other means for
fast cat light off but this one will give a slower engine warmup. Might
not happen on California based models in the US market - very strict on
startup emissions over there and slow engine warmup means more pollution
for longer - even if the cat lights off sooner. But here, regs are much
more slack. Later injection timing will achieve the same end

In a petrol engine, the same strategy can by applied by simply retarding
the ignition timing. That will cause more of the combustion heat to
enter the exhaust system providing a faster cat light off. Again, it's a
trade off.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/44742472

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: Thermostat....

<ui2163$2lje1$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=29314&group=aus.cars#29314

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2023 13:41:21 +0800
 by: Clocky - Fri, 3 Nov 2023 05:41 UTC

On 2/11/2023 4:50 pm, lindsay wrote:
>  a car related question: 2021 Ranger 2.0 4cly bi-turbo engine.
>
> seems to take ages to get to running temp; maybe at *least* 5 klms in
> the morning.

That would be normal.

Are there other thermoststs available that open quicker? I
> guess it's nothing to worry about, I dont do 2k to work every morning
> anymore, but it's something i've always wondered. due for it's 6 month
> oil change, so was thinking i may get it changed...

Opening quicker would have the engine take even longer to warm up. You
would want one that takes longer to open up.

But don't go there. Unless the original thermostat is faulty - do not
replace it and especially not if it's under warranty unless Ford have a
specific TSB for that complaint and that is their fix.

In any event it seems normal operation to me so consider allowing the
vehicle to warm up for a few minutes before you take off.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: Thermostat....