So many men, so many opinions; every one his own way. -- Publius Terentius Afer (Terence)

aus+uk / aus.cars / OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

SubjectAuthor
* OT: Gippsland fires and floods..lindsay
+- OT: Gippsland fires and floods..Daryl
+* OT: Gippsland fires and floods..Noddy
`* OT: Gippsland fires and floods..jonz@ nothere.com
 `* OT: Gippsland fires and floods..lindsay
  `- OT: Gippsland fires and floods..jonz@ nothere.com

Pages:12
OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<h%lTM.198$w4ec.149@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27313&group=aus.cars#27313

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Subject: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 09:50:50 +1100
 by: lindsay - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 22:50 UTC

Woo-Hoo! I'm gunna celebrate tonight!

Just been told my joint was missed being burnt again by 1 kilometre!
(been shitting myself the last 2 days, and a kind neighbour went and had
a look for me.) Had 4 helo's firebombing in the neighbours paddock next
door on Tuesday. And as for the floods, well the rain put the fire
out... :-) Had 93mm at the local weather station, and as the joint was
dry as a chip, it will be welcomed. One person said they emptied their
tanks on the fire, and are now full again :-D Hopefully not too much
damage down on the flats.

I love a sunburnt country. Sometimes.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ko6b91F7gnqU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27319&group=aus.cars#27319

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 10:37:05 +1100
 by: Daryl - Wed, 4 Oct 2023 23:37 UTC

On 5/10/2023 9:50 am, lindsay wrote:
> Woo-Hoo! I'm gunna celebrate tonight!
>
> Just been told my joint was missed being burnt again by 1 kilometre!
> (been shitting myself the last 2 days, and a kind neighbour went and had
> a look for me.) Had 4 helo's firebombing in the neighbours paddock next
> door on Tuesday. And as for the floods, well the rain put the fire
> out... :-) Had 93mm at the local weather station, and as the joint was
> dry as a chip, it will be welcomed. One person said they emptied their
> tanks on the fire, and are now full again :-D Hopefully not too much
> damage down on the flats.
>
> I love a sunburnt country. Sometimes.

LOL, it certainly isn't boring.
We only had 32mm here over the 3 wet days.
My sister sent me some pics this morning of Lake Benalla, they had 80mm
and the water level came up a long way, I was there last Sunday and
where we standing next to the lake is now 2mts under water.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ufkuqd$j0nl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27323&group=aus.cars#27323

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 11:08:43 +1100
 by: Noddy - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 00:08 UTC

On 5/10/2023 9:50 am, lindsay wrote:
> Woo-Hoo! I'm gunna celebrate tonight!
>
> Just been told my joint was missed being burnt again by 1 kilometre!
> (been shitting myself the last 2 days, and a kind neighbour went and had
> a look for me.) Had 4 helo's firebombing in the neighbours paddock next
> door on Tuesday. And as for the floods, well the rain put the fire
> out... :-) Had 93mm at the local weather station, and as the joint was
> dry as a chip, it will be welcomed. One person said they emptied their
> tanks on the fire, and are now full again :-D Hopefully not too much
> damage down on the flats.
>
> I love a sunburnt country. Sometimes.

Fair dinkum, it must suck.

It's one of the reasons why I'm glad I chose to live here. At the time
we were looking we considered a nice place not far from here in the Long
Forest. 5 acre block with a nice established house. Pool, tennis court,
decent shed. Yada yada yada. Nice place, but it was hemmed in by dense
bush, and we found that just a little too much to live with given the
restricted access in and out of the place.

There hasn't been a fire there in the time we've lived here, but it'd be
my luck that there would be if we bought there and if there ever was
you'd be trapped pretty quickly. It was either a case of putting a fire
bunker in and taking our chances with that, or looking elsewhere. In the
end I'm glad we came here.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ar2shitp5godsgko3cu9ldb5hp4i3kv2hc@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27325&group=aus.cars#27325

From: pj@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 12:04:10 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 01:04 UTC

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 09:50:50 +1100, lindsay
<nope@nunnya.business.com.au> wrote:

>Woo-Hoo! I'm gunna celebrate tonight!
>
>Just been told my joint was missed being burnt again by 1 kilometre!
>(been shitting myself the last 2 days, and a kind neighbour went and had
>a look for me.) Had 4 helo's firebombing in the neighbours paddock next
>door on Tuesday. And as for the floods, well the rain put the fire
>out... :-) Had 93mm at the local weather station, and as the joint was
>dry as a chip, it will be welcomed. One person said they emptied their
>tanks on the fire, and are now full again :-D Hopefully not too much
>damage down on the flats.
>
>I love a sunburnt country. Sometimes.
Serves you right for living outside the traffic-light zone.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ufl332$jnh8$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27328&group=aus.cars#27328

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 08:21:01 +0800
 by: Clocky - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 00:21 UTC

On 5/10/2023 8:08 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 9:50 am, lindsay wrote:
>> Woo-Hoo! I'm gunna celebrate tonight!
>>
>> Just been told my joint was missed being burnt again by 1 kilometre!
>> (been shitting myself the last 2 days, and a kind neighbour went and
>> had a look for me.) Had 4 helo's firebombing in the neighbours paddock
>> next door on Tuesday. And as for the floods, well the rain put the
>> fire out... :-) Had 93mm at the local weather station, and as the
>> joint was dry as a chip, it will be welcomed. One person said they
>> emptied their tanks on the fire, and are now full again :-D Hopefully
>> not too much damage down on the flats.
>>
>> I love a sunburnt country. Sometimes.
>
> Fair dinkum, it must suck.
>
> It's one of the reasons why I'm glad I chose to live here. At the time
> we were looking we considered a nice place not far from here in the Long
> Forest. 5 acre block with a nice established house. Pool, tennis court,
> decent shed. Yada yada yada.

But you didn't win the raffle... so desolation it was.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ufl59t$nr56$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27330&group=aus.cars#27330

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 12:59:25 +1100
 by: Noddy - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 01:59 UTC

On 5/10/2023 12:04 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 09:50:50 +1100, lindsay
> <nope@nunnya.business.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Woo-Hoo! I'm gunna celebrate tonight!
>>
>> Just been told my joint was missed being burnt again by 1 kilometre!
>> (been shitting myself the last 2 days, and a kind neighbour went and had
>> a look for me.) Had 4 helo's firebombing in the neighbours paddock next
>> door on Tuesday. And as for the floods, well the rain put the fire
>> out... :-) Had 93mm at the local weather station, and as the joint was
>> dry as a chip, it will be welcomed. One person said they emptied their
>> tanks on the fire, and are now full again :-D Hopefully not too much
>> damage down on the flats.
>>
>> I love a sunburnt country. Sometimes.

> Serves you right for living outside the traffic-light zone.

ROTFL :)

What a retarded statement. The FLC is over there, and they're always
looking for new members ---->

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ko6najF9enbU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27349&group=aus.cars#27349

From: me@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 14:02:42 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 03:02 UTC

Clocky wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 8:08 am, Noddy wrote:
>> On 5/10/2023 9:50 am, lindsay wrote:
>>> Woo-Hoo! I'm gunna celebrate tonight!
>>>
>>> Just been told my joint was missed being burnt again by 1 kilometre!
>>> (been shitting myself the last 2 days, and a kind neighbour went and
>>> had a look for me.) Had 4 helo's firebombing in the neighbours
>>> paddock next door on Tuesday. And as for the floods, well the rain
>>> put the fire out... :-) Had 93mm at the local weather station, and
>>> as the joint was dry as a chip, it will be welcomed. One person said
>>> they emptied their tanks on the fire, and are now full again :-D
>>> Hopefully not too much damage down on the flats.
>>>
>>> I love a sunburnt country. Sometimes.
>>
>> Fair dinkum, it must suck.
>>
>> It's one of the reasons why I'm glad I chose to live here. At the
>> time we were looking we considered a nice place not far from here in
>> the Long Forest. 5 acre block with a nice established house. Pool,
>> tennis court, decent shed. Yada yada yada.
>
> But you didn't win the raffle... so desolation it was.

I would never live in the bush. I couldn't bear the thought of losing
the house in a fire or flood.

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ca8a8c8a-f320-4e23-abd8-ee29f590e570n@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27353&group=aus.cars#27353

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2023 20:20:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: johnhhhinton7@gmail.com (jonz@ nothere.com)
 by: jonz@ nothere.com - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 03:20 UTC

On Thursday, 5 October 2023 at 09:50:56 UTC+11, lindsay wrote:
> Woo-Hoo! I'm gunna celebrate tonight!
>
> Just been told my joint was missed being burnt again by 1 kilometre!
> (been shitting myself the last 2 days, and a kind neighbour went and had
> a look for me.) Had 4 helo's firebombing in the neighbours paddock next
> door on Tuesday. And as for the floods, well the rain put the fire
> out... :-) Had 93mm at the local weather station, and as the joint was
> dry as a chip, it will be welcomed. One person said they emptied their
> tanks on the fire, and are now full again :-D Hopefully not too much
> damage down on the flats.
>
> I love a sunburnt country. Sometimes.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Was wondering how your place went!. Good news.
Stinking hot and blow the dog off the chain westerlies here. But all good.
Had the fire across the road here last time and was having visions of a repeat performance...:(

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ko6pqtF9jcjU9@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27363&group=aus.cars#27363

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 14:45:33 +1100
 by: Xeno - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 03:45 UTC

On 5/10/2023 2:02 pm, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Clocky wrote:

>>> Fair dinkum, it must suck.
>>>
>>> It's one of the reasons why I'm glad I chose to live here. At the
>>> time we were looking we considered a nice place not far from here in
>>> the Long Forest. 5 acre block with a nice established house. Pool,
>>> tennis court, decent shed. Yada yada yada.
>>
>> But you didn't win the raffle... so desolation it was.
>>

> I would never live in the bush. I couldn't bear the thought of losing
> the house in a fire or flood.

Darren's safe from even the absolute worst firestorm. No trees up on
that desolate flat mesa - and those *shrubs* that have been planted
since won't survive gale force winds - no decent tap roots possible on
that cap rock.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<m3dshid17u24btduioru7cb3eptrlskq8s@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27371&group=aus.cars#27371

From: pj@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 15:07:34 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 04:07 UTC

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 14:02:42 +1100, Mighty Mouse
<me@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:

>Clocky wrote:

>>> Fair dinkum, it must suck.
>>>
>>> It's one of the reasons why I'm glad I chose to live here. At the
>>> time we were looking we considered a nice place not far from here in
>>> the Long Forest. 5 acre block with a nice established house. Pool,
>>> tennis court, decent shed. Yada yada yada.
>>
>> But you didn't win the raffle... so desolation it was.
>>

>I would never live in the bush. I couldn't bear the thought of losing
>the house in a fire or flood.

I must agree. People live in swamps, deserts, river banks, volcano
rises, bushlands, the wilderness and then wonder why they're drowned,
scorched, burnt, poisoned, eaten, stung, bitten, buried alive and
homeless.
Well really!
A notorious case in Victoria was where uninsured bush hippies (cheap
retirees) living in the forest with the volant critters, gumbears and
koala trees were burned out and then all were bailed out by we poor
taxpayers.
Outrageous!

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<uflem4$pfj2$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27379&group=aus.cars#27379

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 11:38:54 +0800
 by: Clocky - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 03:38 UTC

On 5/10/2023 11:02 am, Mighty Mouse wrote:
> Clocky wrote:

>>> Fair dinkum, it must suck.
>>>
>>> It's one of the reasons why I'm glad I chose to live here. At the
>>> time we were looking we considered a nice place not far from here in
>>> the Long Forest. 5 acre block with a nice established house. Pool,
>>> tennis court, decent shed. Yada yada yada.
>>
>> But you didn't win the raffle... so desolation it was.
>>

> I would never live in the bush. I couldn't bear the thought of losing
> the house in a fire or flood.

I'm no hippy but I like trees and nature so it's a risk (and higher
insurance premiums) that I'm willing to accept. I'm also close to the
water so it's a great lifestyle.

But everyone is different.

--
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a
proven liar."

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ko6tnpFad04U6@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27388&group=aus.cars#27388

From: me@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 15:52:08 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 04:52 UTC

Peter Jason wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 14:02:42 +1100, Mighty Mouse
> <me@thecheesefactory.com> wrote:
>
>> Clocky wrote:

>>> But you didn't win the raffle... so desolation it was.
>>>

>> I would never live in the bush. I couldn't bear the thought of losing
>> the house in a fire or flood.
> I must agree. People live in swamps, deserts, river banks, volcano
> rises, bushlands, the wilderness and then wonder why they're drowned,
> scorched, burnt, poisoned, eaten, stung, bitten, buried alive and
> homeless.
> Well really!
> A notorious case in Victoria was where uninsured bush hippies (cheap
> retirees) living in the forest with the volant critters, gumbears and
> koala trees were burned out and then all were bailed out by we poor
> taxpayers.
> Outrageous!

yes if owners fail to insure their property, why should taxpayers have
to bear the responsibility

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ko6vt3Far46U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27397&group=aus.cars#27397

From: me@thecheesefactory.com (Mighty Mouse)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 16:29:04 +1100
 by: Mighty Mouse - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 05:29 UTC

Clocky wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 11:02 am, Mighty Mouse wrote:
>> Clocky wrote:

>>> But you didn't win the raffle... so desolation it was.
>>>

>> I would never live in the bush. I couldn't bear the thought of losing
>> the house in a fire or flood.
>>

> I'm no hippy but I like trees and nature so it's a risk (and higher
> insurance premiums) that I'm willing to accept. I'm also close to the
> water so it's a great lifestyle.
>
> But everyone is different.

certainly nice to live in those surroundings but not a risk I can
accept. also there's the convenience of having everything one needs
available in the burbs

--
Have a nice day!..

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<4csTM.4436$igw9.1200@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27401&group=aus.cars#27401

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 16:54:06 +1100
 by: lindsay - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 05:54 UTC

On 5/10/2023 11:08 am, Noddy wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 9:50 am, lindsay wrote:
>> Woo-Hoo! I'm gunna celebrate tonight!
>>
>> Just been told my joint was missed being burnt again by 1 kilometre!
>> (been shitting myself the last 2 days, and a kind neighbour went and
>> had a look for me.) Had 4 helo's firebombing in the neighbours paddock
>> next door on Tuesday. And as for the floods, well the rain put the
>> fire out... :-) Had 93mm at the local weather station, and as the
>> joint was dry as a chip, it will be welcomed. One person said they
>> emptied their tanks on the fire, and are now full again :-D Hopefully
>> not too much damage down on the flats.
>>
>> I love a sunburnt country. Sometimes.
>
> Fair dinkum, it must suck.

Heh, it's entertaining, thats for sure. Hadnt seen a brown snake up
there for 10-11 years, and saw 2 in 24 hours. Also on the other side of
the coin, mate caught a beautiful blue tongue lizard, took a few snaps,
and put him back. he stayed around for a few days, sunning himself on
the pipe he was hiding in. couldn't care less about us.

some pics... https://imgur.com/a/JmwFjBq

We saw the fire around 10.00am Sunday, at 11.30 the smoke changed
direction and was blowing over the shed, we were out of there and at the
first roadblock at 12.30. Took 4 hours to get home, the traffic was
shitfull.

Worst part was the Vic Emergency web page. Monday nite, we were being
warned Tuesday was going to be "difficult". woke up 330am, looked at the
phone app, and the fire had tripled in size overnight. The map showed
the edge of the fire was about 3 k away. The wind had changed direction
and blew it into pine plantations and grassland, and was gusting to
80kmh. And that was the last info available.

So I'm sitting here stewing... dont know if the joint, inc new tractor,
has gone up or not. Ended up ringing my mate with the excavator (name
and number available) who drove there this morning and gave me the all
clear... The map was updated around 1pm today. 60 hours later...

> It's one of the reasons why I'm glad I chose to live here. At the time
> we were looking we considered a nice place not far from here in the Long
> Forest. 5 acre block with a nice established house. Pool, tennis court,
> decent shed. Yada yada yada. Nice place, but it was hemmed in by dense
> bush, and we found that just a little too much to live with given the
> restricted access in and out of the place.

Yep. same here. one way in, one way out, but i have several pairs of
wire cutters :-) I do love the solitude, and the views, esp of the night
sky, and the sunrises.. We're right on the foothills of the mountains...
have some of the best deer shooting country on one side, and open grass
paddocks on the other, and pine plantations 500m away.. I spend a bit of
time each year preparing for fire, this year I havent finished as the
manuka has been growing well whilst I was waiting for my tractor, and
i'm finding I have to use the tree puller on the bigger stuff rather
than fuck the slasher and it's clutch... got 80% of it done..

> There hasn't been a fire there in the time we've lived here, but it'd be
> my luck that there would be if we bought there and if there ever was
> you'd be trapped pretty quickly. It was either a case of putting a fire
> bunker in and taking our chances with that, or looking elsewhere. In the
> end I'm glad we came here.

Not to mention the land size you have now... room to swing a cat. soooo
much better than a little corner block.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ndsTM.4437$igw9.2079@fx37.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27402&group=aus.cars#27402

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 16:55:30 +1100
 by: lindsay - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 05:55 UTC

On 5/10/2023 12:04 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 09:50:50 +1100, lindsay
> <nope@nunnya.business.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Woo-Hoo! I'm gunna celebrate tonight!
>>
>> Just been told my joint was missed being burnt again by 1 kilometre!
>> (been shitting myself the last 2 days, and a kind neighbour went and had
>> a look for me.) Had 4 helo's firebombing in the neighbours paddock next
>> door on Tuesday. And as for the floods, well the rain put the fire
>> out... :-) Had 93mm at the local weather station, and as the joint was
>> dry as a chip, it will be welcomed. One person said they emptied their
>> tanks on the fire, and are now full again :-D Hopefully not too much
>> damage down on the flats.
>>
>> I love a sunburnt country. Sometimes.
> Serves you right for living outside the traffic-light zone.

I live in Melbourne. Plenty of traffic lights here.

Isn't it about time you burst into tears about others headlights again?

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<cqsTM.213$w4ec.62@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27404&group=aus.cars#27404

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:09:10 +1100
 by: lindsay - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 06:09 UTC

On 5/10/2023 2:20 pm, jonz@ nothere.com wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 October 2023 at 09:50:56 UTC+11, lindsay wrote:
>> Woo-Hoo! I'm gunna celebrate tonight!
>>
>> Just been told my joint was missed being burnt again by 1 kilometre!
>> (been shitting myself the last 2 days, and a kind neighbour went and had
>> a look for me.) Had 4 helo's firebombing in the neighbours paddock next
>> door on Tuesday. And as for the floods, well the rain put the fire
>> out... :-) Had 93mm at the local weather station, and as the joint was
>> dry as a chip, it will be welcomed. One person said they emptied their
>> tanks on the fire, and are now full again :-D Hopefully not too much
>> damage down on the flats.
>>
>> I love a sunburnt country. Sometimes.
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Was wondering how your place went!. Good news.

very.
> Stinking hot and blow the dog off the chain westerlies here. But all good.
> Had the fire across the road here last time and was having visions of a repeat performance...:(

Seen some pics of the Bega valley... some of the most verdant farmland,
and now it's a tinderbox waiting to explode.

the rain in Gippsland over the last 2 days will improve things down
here, but for how long? It's only gunna dry out again...

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<uwsTM.12879$f719.4691@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27405&group=aus.cars#27405

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:15:52 +1100
 by: lindsay - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 06:15 UTC

On 5/10/2023 2:38 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 11:02 am, Mighty Mouse wrote:

>> I would never live in the bush. I couldn't bear the thought of losing
>> the house in a fire or flood.

Poor felix. afraid.

> I'm no hippy but I like trees and nature so it's a risk (and higher
> insurance premiums) that I'm willing to accept. I'm also close to the
> water so it's a great lifestyle.
>
> But everyone is different.

exactly. I'm the opposite of greenie, but I also love wildlife, so much
so I've befriended a wallaby we've named Boing, who rocks up most nights.

I chose to have a block where it is for my own reasons. I also pay
exorbitant insurance, and the Fire Assistance Levy in my rates for the
place.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<5ysTM.12880$f719.12346@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27406&group=aus.cars#27406

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:17:37 +1100
 by: lindsay - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 06:17 UTC

On 5/10/2023 2:45 pm, Xeno wrote:

> Darren's safe from even the absolute worst firestorm.

Why dont you just curl up and fucking rot to death, you useless dumb
cunt. Every thread, without fail.... Your obsession is making you look
more foolish that you probably are.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<7BsTM.27436$HwD9.27010@fx11.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27407&group=aus.cars#27407

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:20:49 +1100
 by: lindsay - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 06:20 UTC

On 5/10/2023 3:07 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 14:02:42 +1100, Mighty Mouse

>> I would never live in the bush. I couldn't bear the thought of losing
>> the house in a fire or flood.
>
> I must agree. People live in swamps, deserts, river banks, volcano
> rises, bushlands, the wilderness and then wonder why they're drowned,
> scorched, burnt, poisoned, eaten, stung, bitten, buried alive and
> homeless.
> Well really!

yet people live in cities, (like me) and get shot, raped, run over,
bashed, poisoned, burnt, hacked, stabbed, stung, bitten, drowned....

> A notorious case in Victoria was where uninsured bush hippies (cheap
> retirees) living in the forest with the volant critters, gumbears and
> koala trees were burned out and then all were bailed out by we poor
> taxpayers.
> Outrageous!

Get help.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ufllrh$qlo4$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27409&group=aus.cars#27409

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:41:53 +1100
 by: Noddy - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 06:41 UTC

On 5/10/2023 5:17 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 2:45 pm, Xeno wrote:
>

>> Darren's safe from even the absolute worst firestorm.
>
> Why dont you just curl up and fucking rot to death, you useless dumb
> cunt.

Cunt. That made me blow a genuine snot bubble :)

> Every thread, without fail.... Your obsession is making you look
> more foolish that you probably are.

I would have though that was impossible after the absolute hysteria of
what was the "You deleted them" garbage.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<6umshi1tic1aq82thln1iqr3ha47g69iip@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27410&group=aus.cars#27410

From: pj@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 17:47:37 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 06:47 UTC

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 16:55:30 +1100, lindsay
<nope@nunnya.business.com.au> wrote:

>On 5/10/2023 12:04 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 09:50:50 +1100, lindsay
>> <nope@nunnya.business.com.au> wrote:
>>
>>> Woo-Hoo! I'm gunna celebrate tonight!
>>>
>>> Just been told my joint was missed being burnt again by 1 kilometre!
>>> (been shitting myself the last 2 days, and a kind neighbour went and had
>>> a look for me.) Had 4 helo's firebombing in the neighbours paddock next
>>> door on Tuesday. And as for the floods, well the rain put the fire
>>> out... :-) Had 93mm at the local weather station, and as the joint was
>>> dry as a chip, it will be welcomed. One person said they emptied their
>>> tanks on the fire, and are now full again :-D Hopefully not too much
>>> damage down on the flats.
>>>
>>> I love a sunburnt country. Sometimes.
>> Serves you right for living outside the traffic-light zone.
>
>I live in Melbourne. Plenty of traffic lights here.
>
>Isn't it about time you burst into tears about others headlights again?

I'll wait until winter. They're brighter then. In the meantime there
are other things to weep over.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<81nshitkrvfufv9hceim1gmjj7ofmj4f9p@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27411&group=aus.cars#27411

From: pj@jostle.com (Peter Jason)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2023 17:48:28 +1100
 by: Peter Jason - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 06:48 UTC

On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:20:49 +1100, lindsay
<nope@nunnya.business.com.au> wrote:

>On 5/10/2023 3:07 pm, Peter Jason wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Oct 2023 14:02:42 +1100, Mighty Mouse
>
>>> I would never live in the bush. I couldn't bear the thought of losing
>>> the house in a fire or flood.
>>
>> I must agree. People live in swamps, deserts, river banks, volcano
>> rises, bushlands, the wilderness and then wonder why they're drowned,
>> scorched, burnt, poisoned, eaten, stung, bitten, buried alive and
>> homeless.
>> Well really!
>
>yet people live in cities, (like me) and get shot, raped, run over,
>bashed, poisoned, burnt, hacked, stabbed, stung, bitten, drowned....
>
>> A notorious case in Victoria was where uninsured bush hippies (cheap
>> retirees) living in the forest with the volant critters, gumbears and
>> koala trees were burned out and then all were bailed out by we poor
>> taxpayers.
>> Outrageous!
>
>Get help.

Yeah well, there's none to be had here.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<uflmj2$qqni$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27412&group=aus.cars#27412

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:54:23 +1100
 by: Noddy - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 06:54 UTC

On 5/10/2023 4:54 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 11:08 am, Noddy wrote:
>> On 5/10/2023 9:50 am, lindsay wrote:
>>> Woo-Hoo! I'm gunna celebrate tonight!
>>>
>>> Just been told my joint was missed being burnt again by 1 kilometre!
>>> (been shitting myself the last 2 days, and a kind neighbour went and
>>> had a look for me.) Had 4 helo's firebombing in the neighbours
>>> paddock next door on Tuesday. And as for the floods, well the rain
>>> put the fire out... :-) Had 93mm at the local weather station, and as
>>> the joint was dry as a chip, it will be welcomed. One person said
>>> they emptied their tanks on the fire, and are now full again :-D
>>> Hopefully not too much damage down on the flats.
>>>
>>> I love a sunburnt country. Sometimes.
>>
>> Fair dinkum, it must suck.
>
> Heh, it's entertaining, thats for sure. Hadnt seen a brown snake up
> there for 10-11 years, and saw 2 in 24 hours. Also on the other side of
> the coin, mate caught a beautiful blue tongue lizard, took a few snaps,
> and put him back. he stayed around for a few days, sunning himself on
> the pipe he was hiding in. couldn't care less about us.
>
> some pics... https://imgur.com/a/JmwFjBq

Grouse. He's a beauty.

> We saw the fire around 10.00am Sunday, at 11.30 the smoke changed
> direction and was blowing over the shed, we were out of there and at the
> first roadblock at 12.30. Took 4 hours to get home, the traffic was
> shitfull.

I'll bet it was.

> Worst part was the Vic Emergency web page. Monday nite, we were being
> warned Tuesday was going to be "difficult". woke up 330am, looked at the
> phone app, and the fire had tripled in size overnight. The map showed
> the edge of the fire was about 3 k away. The wind had changed direction
> and blew it into pine plantations and grassland, and was gusting to
> 80kmh. And that was the last info available.

No fires here fortunately, but the wind was all over the place here as
well. In fact I'd just had a new 15kW solar system put on the shed roof
a few days before, and I fully expected it to not be there in the
morning when I got up. The wind at around 3am was was horrendous.

Surprisingly we had no damage here apart from a new minor leak in the
shed roof. The Avenue in Bacchus copped a heap and lost a couple of
trees and a few big branches.

> So I'm sitting here stewing... dont know if the joint, inc new tractor,
> has gone up or not. Ended up ringing my mate with the excavator (name
> and number available) who drove there this morning and gave me the all
> clear... The map was updated around 1pm today. 60 hours later...

Wonderful. I understand they're busy, but all it would take would be one
kid to upload the data.
>> It's one of the reasons why I'm glad I chose to live here. At the time
>> we were looking we considered a nice place not far from here in the
>> Long Forest. 5 acre block with a nice established house. Pool, tennis
>> court, decent shed. Yada yada yada. Nice place, but it was hemmed in
>> by dense bush, and we found that just a little too much to live with
>> given the restricted access in and out of the place.
>
> Yep. same here. one way in, one way out, but i have several pairs of
> wire cutters :-) I do love the solitude, and the views, esp of the night
> sky, and the sunrises.. We're right on the foothills of the mountains...
> have some of the best deer shooting country on one side, and open grass
> paddocks on the other, and pine plantations 500m away.. I spend a bit of
> time each year preparing for fire, this year I havent finished as the
> manuka has been growing well whilst I was waiting for my tractor, and
> i'm finding I have to use the tree puller on the bigger stuff rather
> than fuck the slasher and it's clutch... got 80% of it done..

I actually noticed on Google Earth today that the place I was
considering years ago has had a big clear out along with a few of the
neighbours. When we looked at it the trees were right up to the house
and you struggled to see the back fence through them, but there's
clearly been an attitude shift with a lot of the trees having been cleared.

Makes sense, but I would have thought the council would have objected.
They do about every fucking thing else.

>> There hasn't been a fire there in the time we've lived here, but it'd
>> be my luck that there would be if we bought there and if there ever
>> was you'd be trapped pretty quickly. It was either a case of putting a
>> fire bunker in and taking our chances with that, or looking elsewhere.
>> In the end I'm glad we came here.
>
> Not to mention the land size you have now... room to swing a cat. soooo
> much better than a little corner block.

Yep. Don't have to listen to the music the prick next door listens to,
or smell his putrid feet when he takes his socks off. Best part is that
I don't have to pretend to be an expert on all things automotive while I
sit in my little "workshop" and count my Tupperware containers.

Plenty of space here for a *real* workshop where I can work on real cars
with real tools :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<uflnhf$r118$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27417&group=aus.cars#27417

From: Hans.Andnees@gmail.com (alvey)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 17:10:35 +1000
 by: alvey - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 07:10 UTC

Noddy wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 9:50 am, lindsay wrote:
>> Woo-Hoo! I'm gunna celebrate tonight!
>>
>> Just been told my joint was missed being burnt again by 1 kilometre!
>> (been shitting myself the last 2 days, and a kind neighbour went and
>> had a look for me.) Had 4 helo's firebombing in the neighbours paddock
>> next door on Tuesday. And as for the floods, well the rain put the
>> fire out... :-) Had 93mm at the local weather station, and as the
>> joint was dry as a chip, it will be welcomed. One person said they
>> emptied their tanks on the fire, and are now full again :-D Hopefully
>> not too much damage down on the flats.
>>
>> I love a sunburnt country. Sometimes.
>
> Fair dinkum, it must suck.

['Five words is enough about you. Now back to meeeeeee'. Fraudster the
Narcissist]
> It's one of the reasons why I'm glad I chose to live here. At the time
> we were looking we considered a nice place not far from here in the Long
> Forest. 5 acre block with a nice established house. Pool, tennis court,
> decent shed. Yada yada yada. Nice place, but it was hemmed in by dense
> bush, and we found that just a little too much to live with given the
> restricted access in and out of the place.
>
> There hasn't been a fire there in the time we've lived here, but it'd be
> my luck that there would be if we bought there and if there ever was
> you'd be trapped pretty quickly. It was either a case of putting a fire
> bunker in and taking our chances with that, or looking elsewhere. In the
> end I'm glad we came here.

Wherever you are is a fire hazard Fraudster. Bullshit burns you know...

alvey

Re: OT: Gippsland fires and floods..

<ko76jqFbj4aU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=27420&group=aus.cars#27420

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2023 18:23:38 +1100
 by: Daryl - Thu, 5 Oct 2023 07:23 UTC

On 5/10/2023 5:54 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 5/10/2023 4:54 pm, lindsay wrote:

>>> Fair dinkum, it must suck.
>>
>> Heh, it's entertaining, thats for sure. Hadnt seen a brown snake up
>> there for 10-11 years, and saw 2 in 24 hours. Also on the other side
>> of the coin, mate caught a beautiful blue tongue lizard, took a few
>> snaps, and put him back. he stayed around for a few days, sunning
>> himself on the pipe he was hiding in. couldn't care less about us.
>>
>> some pics... https://imgur.com/a/JmwFjBq
>
> Grouse. He's a beauty.
>>
>> We saw the fire around 10.00am Sunday, at 11.30 the smoke changed
>> direction and was blowing over the shed, we were out of there and at
>> the first roadblock at 12.30. Took 4 hours to get home, the traffic
>> was shitfull.
>
> I'll bet it was.
>
>> Worst part was the Vic Emergency web page. Monday nite, we were being
>> warned Tuesday was going to be "difficult". woke up 330am, looked at
>> the phone app, and the fire had tripled in size overnight. The map
>> showed the edge of the fire was about 3 k away. The wind had changed
>> direction and blew it into pine plantations and grassland, and was
>> gusting to 80kmh. And that was the last info available.
>
> No fires here fortunately, but the wind was all over the place here as
> well. In fact I'd just had a new 15kW solar system put on the shed roof
> a few days before, and I fully expected it to not be there in the
> morning when I got up. The wind at around 3am was was horrendous.

Never heard a thing, my wife wears a mouth guard at night to protect her
teeth and it makes her snore so I wear ear plugs:-)
I hear that you are now the main power station in your area:-)

--
Daryl