Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Subject: ot: critters....
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 16:48:34 +1000
 by: lindsay - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 06:48 UTC

Had an interesting week up the block, preparing for the AFL Grand Final
weekend... 7 mates turning up so far, so should be a blast...

The Gippsland area is drying out rapidly. Like Far South Coast, NSW,
it'll be a bomb waiting to go off. Very dry. Anyway, after a mate saw a
few red-bellied black snakes, he took his son out on a stalk, and son
got his first deer. Very happy hunters. They left yesterday morning, so
i went for a ride and came across an echidna! Cute critters.:-)

Came home this morning, and paint me yella and call me taxi, i came
across a Shetland Pony on the side of the road! Ugliest wallaby I've
ever seen. pic isnt the best...

https://imgur.com/a/vR0cCYS

Then back in melburg, and 3k from home here's an echidna wandering
across Governor rd. Lady was trying to pick it up to get it outa the
traffic :-) Not gunna happen. Dont see echidnas very often, so to see 2
in 24 hours is neat..

Re: ot: critters....

<uebhp1$286sf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26562&group=aus.cars#26562

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: ot: critters....
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 17:14:41 +1000
 by: Noddy - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 07:14 UTC

On 19/09/2023 4:48 pm, lindsay wrote:
> Had an interesting week up the block, preparing for the AFL Grand Final
> weekend... 7 mates turning up so far, so should be a blast...
>
> The Gippsland area is drying out rapidly. Like Far South Coast, NSW,
> it'll be a bomb waiting to go off. Very dry.  Anyway, after a mate saw a
> few red-bellied black snakes, he took his son out on a stalk, and son
> got his first deer. Very happy hunters. They left yesterday morning, so
> i went for a ride and came across an echidna! Cute critters.:-)
>
> Came home this morning, and paint me yella and call me taxi, i came
> across a Shetland Pony on the side of the road! Ugliest wallaby I've
> ever seen. pic isnt the best...
>
> https://imgur.com/a/vR0cCYS

Lol :)

> Then back in melburg, and 3k from home here's an echidna wandering
> across Governor rd. Lady was trying to pick it up to get it outa the
> traffic :-) Not gunna happen. Dont see echidnas very often, so to see 2
> in 24 hours is neat..

Yeah, they're cool things. We've got one that lives in the bush half way
up the hill here, and it's forever crossing the road. Most of the locals
are aware of it and just sit and wait for it to go across, but sometimes
it just sits in the middle. I keep a pair of old welding gauntlets in
the back of the ute for such encounters, as they allow me to pick it up
and move it off the road without getting stabbed.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: ot: critters....

<kmt4dfFdgdlU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26566&group=aus.cars#26566

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2023 18:28:31 +1000
 by: Daryl - Tue, 19 Sep 2023 08:28 UTC

On 19/9/2023 4:48 pm, lindsay wrote:
> Had an interesting week up the block, preparing for the AFL Grand Final
> weekend... 7 mates turning up so far, so should be a blast...
>
> The Gippsland area is drying out rapidly. Like Far South Coast, NSW,
> it'll be a bomb waiting to go off. Very dry.  Anyway, after a mate saw a
> few red-bellied black snakes, he took his son out on a stalk, and son
> got his first deer. Very happy hunters. They left yesterday morning, so
> i went for a ride and came across an echidna! Cute critters.:-)
>
> Came home this morning, and paint me yella and call me taxi, i came
> across a Shetland Pony on the side of the road! Ugliest wallaby I've
> ever seen. pic isnt the best...
>
> https://imgur.com/a/vR0cCYS
>
> Then back in melburg, and 3k from home here's an echidna wandering
> across Governor rd. Lady was trying to pick it up to get it outa the
> traffic :-) Not gunna happen. Dont see echidnas very often, so to see 2
> in 24 hours is neat..

Don't see many echidna s but its even more unusual to see them in suburbia.

--
Daryl

Re: ot: critters....

<9YtOM.2598$2ph4.1862@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26573&group=aus.cars#26573

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 13:48:19 +1000
 by: lindsay - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 03:48 UTC

On 19/09/2023 6:28 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 19/9/2023 4:48 pm, lindsay wrote:

>> Then back in melburg, and 3k from home here's an echidna wandering
>> across Governor rd. Lady was trying to pick it up to get it outa the
>> traffic :-) Not gunna happen. Dont see echidnas very often, so to see
>> 2 in 24 hours is neat..
>

> Don't see many echidna s but its even more unusual to see them in suburbia.

esp in the middle of a road... Large area of scrub on one side (Braeside
park*) houses on the other.. i was going to yell to the woman to take
her top off rather than grapple it bare handed, but that would be seen
as sexist. :-D

(* Braeside Park has an astonishing population of great big fat rabbits!
They can bee seen 24hrs a day. Whats got me stumped is they seem immune
to Calesivirus...? There was apparently a new strain that came from
France, with no antidote, yet these are thriving...)

Re: ot: critters....

<kmverfFoq7fU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26575&group=aus.cars#26575

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 15:38:55 +1000
 by: Daryl - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 05:38 UTC

On 20/9/2023 1:48 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 19/09/2023 6:28 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 19/9/2023 4:48 pm, lindsay wrote:
>
>>> Then back in melburg, and 3k from home here's an echidna wandering
>>> across Governor rd. Lady was trying to pick it up to get it outa the
>>> traffic :-) Not gunna happen. Dont see echidnas very often, so to see
>>> 2 in 24 hours is neat..
>>

>> Don't see many echidna s but its even more unusual to see them in
>> suburbia.
>
> esp in the middle of a road... Large area of scrub on one side (Braeside
> park*) houses on the other.. i was going to yell to the woman to take
> her top off rather than grapple it bare handed, but that would be seen
> as sexist. :-D
>
> (* Braeside Park has an astonishing population of great big fat rabbits!
> They can bee seen 24hrs a day. Whats got me stumped is they seem immune
> to Calesivirus...? There was apparently a new strain that came from
> France, with no antidote, yet these are thriving...)

Used to be a lot of rabbits near my place when we first moved here a bit
over 3.5yrs ago but they disappeared until recently, I've started to see
signs of their presence.
There is an access track around the back of my place so the council can
do landscaping etc and I've seen scratching that looks like rabbits have
started to dig.
--
Daryl

Re: ot: critters....

<ueeh69$2stma$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26583&group=aus.cars#26583

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 20:23:05 +1000
 by: Noddy - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:23 UTC

On 20/09/2023 3:38 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 20/9/2023 1:48 pm, lindsay wrote:

>> (* Braeside Park has an astonishing population of great big fat
>> rabbits! They can bee seen 24hrs a day. Whats got me stumped is they
>> seem immune to Calesivirus...? There was apparently a new strain that
>> came from France, with no antidote, yet these are thriving...)
>>

> Used to be a lot of rabbits near my place when we first moved here a bit
> over 3.5yrs ago but they disappeared until recently, I've started to see
> signs of their presence.
> There is an access track around the back of my place so the council can
> do landscaping etc and I've seen scratching that looks like rabbits have
> started to dig.

They ate us alive around there until we installed vermin netting around
the entire fence line. Prior to that most plants would be lucky to last
more than a few days.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: ot: critters....

<kn019gFrlksU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26584&group=aus.cars#26584

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 20:53:36 +1000
 by: Daryl - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:53 UTC

On 20/9/2023 8:23 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 20/09/2023 3:38 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 20/9/2023 1:48 pm, lindsay wrote:
>
>>> (* Braeside Park has an astonishing population of great big fat
>>> rabbits! They can bee seen 24hrs a day. Whats got me stumped is they
>>> seem immune to Calesivirus...? There was apparently a new strain that
>>> came from France, with no antidote, yet these are thriving...)
>>>

>> Used to be a lot of rabbits near my place when we first moved here a
>> bit over 3.5yrs ago but they disappeared until recently, I've started
>> to see signs of their presence.
>> There is an access track around the back of my place so the council
>> can do landscaping etc and I've seen scratching that looks like
>> rabbits have started to dig.
>
> They ate us alive around there until we installed vermin netting around
> the entire fence line. Prior to that most plants would be lucky to last
> more than a few days.

I put some wire netting on my the bottom of back fence and they haven't
come into my property since but they have been digging holes on the
other side of the fence, I only noticed a few days ago when I went
around the back to spray some weeds.

--
Daryl

Re: ot: critters....

<kn01k0FrlmhU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26588&group=aus.cars#26588

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2023 20:59:12 +1000
 by: Xeno - Wed, 20 Sep 2023 10:59 UTC

On 20/9/2023 8:23 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 20/09/2023 3:38 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 20/9/2023 1:48 pm, lindsay wrote:
>
>>> (* Braeside Park has an astonishing population of great big fat
>>> rabbits! They can bee seen 24hrs a day. Whats got me stumped is they
>>> seem immune to Calesivirus...? There was apparently a new strain that
>>> came from France, with no antidote, yet these are thriving...)
>>>

>> Used to be a lot of rabbits near my place when we first moved here a
>> bit over 3.5yrs ago but they disappeared until recently, I've started
>> to see signs of their presence.
>> There is an access track around the back of my place so the council
>> can do landscaping etc and I've seen scratching that looks like
>> rabbits have started to dig.
>
> They ate us alive around there until we installed vermin netting around
> the entire fence line. Prior to that most plants would be lucky to last
> more than a few days.

Your metaphors suck, rabbits are herbivores.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

aus+uk / aus.cars / ot: critters....