Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist ought to have his head examined. -- Samuel Goldwyn

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: OT: solar setups...

SubjectAuthor
* OT: solar setups...lindsay
+* OT: solar setups...Noddy
|`* OT: solar setups...Daryl
| `* OT: solar setups...Noddy
|  `* OT: solar setups...Daryl
|   `- OT: solar setups...Noddy
`* OT: solar setups...Daryl
 `* OT: solar setups...Ozix
  +- OT: solar setups...Noddy
  +* OT: solar setups...Daryl
  |`* OT: solar setups...Noddy
  | +- OT: solar setups...Daryl
  | `* OT: solar setups...lindsay
  |  `* OT: solar setups...Noddy
  |   +- OT: solar setups...Daryl
  |   `* OT: solar setups...Xeno
  |    `* OT: solar setups...Alex Leon
  |     `* OT: solar setups...Noddy
  |      +* OT: solar setups...Clocky
  |      |`- OT: solar setups...Xeno
  |      `* OT: solar setups...Xeno
  |       `- OT: solar setups...lindsay
  `- OT: solar setups...Keithr0

1
OT: solar setups...

<P7iIM.736230$SuUf.455536@fx14.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26123&group=aus.cars#26123

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Subject: OT: solar setups...
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 19:27:08 +1000
 by: lindsay - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 09:27 UTC

all: just signed up for some solar gear on our refurbished roof, after
receiving a pair of energy bills that made my eyes water.
Gas: 2 months = $500.00: we have gas ducted heating/hot water...
Elec: 5 weeks = $225.00 thats a surprise, normally 1/2 that...
Say around $500 a month... $500 a *MONTH* to keep warm, clean, and eat.

Some dodgy shit around: Fed rebate was around the $3.5k mark; state
rebate was around $2800, but 50% 0f *that* was a no interest loan...
Yeah, nah.. dont need to be owing the Vic Govt $1400... Lots of sellers
have suddenly popped up in the market as well...

So 24 panels and a serious hybrid inverter.. in 4-5 years it will have
paid for itself. Yay!

Looked at a battery, but too much to take in all at once... feed in
tarrifs, battery technology, high prices.... blah blah.. Will revisit
this in a year or so...

We've been told our elec bill will go from approx $200 per month to
$35.00 -$50.00 per month. Happy Happy-Joy Joy. :-)

Get/take the Feds/State govt's money(!) whilst you can, before they find
a way to take it off you yet again...!

Re: OT: solar setups...

<ucsh7n$3ok6f$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26124&group=aus.cars#26124

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: Re: OT: solar setups...
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 21:17:09 +1000
 by: Noddy - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 11:17 UTC

On 1/09/2023 7:27 pm, lindsay wrote:

> all: just signed up for some solar gear on our refurbished roof, after
> receiving a pair of energy bills that made my eyes water.
> Gas: 2 months = $500.00:  we have gas ducted heating/hot water...
> Elec: 5 weeks = $225.00 thats a surprise, normally 1/2 that...
> Say around $500 a month... $500 a *MONTH* to keep warm, clean, and eat.

Fuck ing hell. And I thought it was dear out here on bottled gas. For
fuck's sake Jimmy... :)

> Some dodgy shit around: Fed rebate was around the $3.5k mark; state
> rebate was around $2800, but 50% 0f *that* was a no interest loan...
> Yeah, nah..  dont need to be owing the Vic Govt $1400... Lots of sellers
> have suddenly popped up in the market as well...
>
> So 24 panels and a serious hybrid inverter.. in 4-5 years it will have
> paid for itself. Yay!

Daryl will probably remember better than I do as he installed it :), but
I've had my 2kW system for a while now. It's generated over 25 thousand
kW in the time that I've had it and paid for itself a number of times
over. Having it installed was one of the best things I ever did, and I'm
only sorry I never went for a larger kit.
> Looked at a battery, but too much to take in all at once... feed in
> tarrifs, battery technology, high prices.... blah blah.. Will revisit
> this in a year or so...

Batteries change the picture somewhat, as they're hideously expensive
with an average life expectancy which makes the purchase price unlikely
every go into the black. That may change in the future, but for now
they're too far out there to be financially viable.

As for feed in tariffs, the power suppliers can just get fucked :) Best
rate I've seen anywhere is 12 cents per kW and the average is around 6
cents which is obscene considering that the cunts sell you the shit at
around 3 to 4 times that price or more. As far as I'm concerned they
should have to buy it from you at the same price you're buying it from
them. Give them 10% just to stop them from whinging, but they're doing
absolutely jack shit in buying back your solar generation and making 5
times the mark up or more.

I'm on the premium feed in tariff of 66c per kW, and I'm going to be
miffed when it finishes at the end of this year.

> We've been told our elec bill will go from approx $200 per month to
> $35.00 -$50.00 per month. Happy Happy-Joy Joy. :-)

It makes a big difference. My little 2kW system generates around 15kW on
a good day. A mate of mine who lives over in Maddingley put in a 5kW
system at around the same time and he went for ages with a zero net
power bill and would actually get a cheque from the power company once a
year.

Then he put in a pool, and the chlorinator and pump fucked that right up :)

> Get/take the Feds/State govt's money(!) whilst you can, before they find
> a way to take it off you yet again...!

Yep. I want to put in a 15kW system. I've got nearly 300 square metres
of shed roof with half of it perfectly positioned for panels.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: solar setups...

<kle35oFq9slU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26125&group=aus.cars#26125

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 22:19:04 +1000
 by: Daryl - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 12:19 UTC

On 1/9/2023 7:27 pm, lindsay wrote:
> all: just signed up for some solar gear on our refurbished roof, after
> receiving a pair of energy bills that made my eyes water.
> Gas: 2 months = $500.00:  we have gas ducted heating/hot water...
> Elec: 5 weeks = $225.00 thats a surprise, normally 1/2 that...
> Say around $500 a month... $500 a *MONTH* to keep warm, clean, and eat.
>
> Some dodgy shit around: Fed rebate was around the $3.5k mark; state
> rebate was around $2800, but 50% 0f *that* was a no interest loan...
> Yeah, nah..  dont need to be owing the Vic Govt $1400... Lots of sellers
> have suddenly popped up in the market as well...
>
> So 24 panels and a serious hybrid inverter.. in 4-5 years it will have
> paid for itself. Yay!
>
> Looked at a battery, but too much to take in all at once... feed in
> tarrifs, battery technology, high prices.... blah blah.. Will revisit
> this in a year or so...
>
> We've been told our elec bill will go from approx $200 per month to
> $35.00 -$50.00 per month. Happy Happy-Joy Joy. :-)
>
> Get/take the Feds/State govt's money(!) whilst you can, before they find
> a way to take it off you yet again...!

Absolutely worth doing.
I got my 11.2kw system for free if you don't count how much it cost to
feed, cloth and educate my son for his first 21yrs:-)
My electricity bill is currently +$438.00 but I have a $315.40 gas bill
to pay.
Very annoyed with the gas bill, it says we have reduced our gas usage
compared to the same period last year by 48.7% but the bill only dropped
by $95.00, the bastards make you pay no matter what you do.
Son has never been a fan a solar batteries mostly due to the economics
but since he has demand from his customers he is going to start
installing them, one of his sparkies is already qualified to do the work
and he said that we might be the first job before they get let loose on
a paying customer, can't complain about being an experiment since my
solar cost me nothing and I've never had a power bill at my new house.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: solar setups...

<kle3p8Fq9slU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26126&group=aus.cars#26126

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 22:29:28 +1000
 by: Daryl - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 12:29 UTC

On 1/9/2023 9:17 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 1/09/2023 7:27 pm, lindsay wrote:
>
>> all: just signed up for some solar gear on our refurbished roof, after
>> receiving a pair of energy bills that made my eyes water.
>> Gas: 2 months = $500.00:  we have gas ducted heating/hot water...
>> Elec: 5 weeks = $225.00 thats a surprise, normally 1/2 that...
>> Say around $500 a month... $500 a *MONTH* to keep warm, clean, and eat.
>
> Fuck ing hell. And I thought it was dear out here on bottled gas. For
> fuck's sake Jimmy... :)
>
>> Some dodgy shit around: Fed rebate was around the $3.5k mark; state
>> rebate was around $2800, but 50% 0f *that* was a no interest loan...
>> Yeah, nah..  dont need to be owing the Vic Govt $1400... Lots of
>> sellers have suddenly popped up in the market as well...
>>
>> So 24 panels and a serious hybrid inverter.. in 4-5 years it will have
>> paid for itself. Yay!
>
> Daryl will probably remember better than I do as he installed it :), but
> I've had my 2kW system for a while now. It's generated over 25 thousand
> kW in the time that I've had it and paid for itself a number of times
> over. Having it installed was one of the best things I ever did, and I'm
> only sorry I never went for a larger kit.

I get dizzy just thinking about how high your roof is:-)

>> Looked at a battery, but too much to take in all at once... feed in
>> tarrifs, battery technology, high prices.... blah blah.. Will revisit
>> this in a year or so...
>
> Batteries change the picture somewhat, as they're hideously expensive
> with an average life expectancy which makes the purchase price unlikely
> every go into the black. That may change in the future, but for now
> they're too far out there to be financially viable.
>
> As for feed in tariffs, the power suppliers can just get fucked :) Best
> rate I've seen anywhere is 12 cents per kW and the average is around 6
> cents which is obscene considering that the cunts sell you the shit at
> around 3 to 4 times that price or more. As far as I'm concerned they
> should have to buy it from you at the same price you're buying it from
> them. Give them 10% just to stop them from whinging, but they're doing
> absolutely jack shit in buying back your solar generation and making 5
> times the mark up or more.
>
> I'm on the premium feed in tariff of 66c per kW, and I'm going to be
> miffed when it finishes at the end of this year.
>
>> We've been told our elec bill will go from approx $200 per month to
>> $35.00 -$50.00 per month. Happy Happy-Joy Joy. :-)
>
> It makes a big difference. My little 2kW system generates around 15kW on
> a good day. A mate of mine who lives over in Maddingley put in a 5kW
> system at around the same time and he went for ages with a zero net
> power bill and would actually get a cheque from the power company once a
> year.
>
> Then he put in a pool, and the chlorinator and pump fucked that right up :)
>
>> Get/take the Feds/State govt's money(!) whilst you can, before they
>> find a way to take it off you yet again...!
>
> Yep. I want to put in a 15kW system. I've got nearly 300 square metres
> of shed roof with half of it perfectly positioned for panels.

You only have to ask and you will get a very good price.
Do you have 3 phase?
If so you can have up to 15kw and export as much as you want, over 15kw
and the system might have to be export limited.
When we built the new house we got 3 phase, cost about $700 extra but
well worth it because we can have a huge amount of solar.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: solar setups...

<ucsnmd$3ph80$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26127&group=aus.cars#26127

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 23:07:26 +1000
 by: Noddy - Fri, 1 Sep 2023 13:07 UTC

On 1/09/2023 10:29 pm, Daryl wrote:
> On 1/9/2023 9:17 pm, Noddy wrote:

>> Yep. I want to put in a 15kW system. I've got nearly 300 square metres
>> of shed roof with half of it perfectly positioned for panels.
>>

> You only have to ask and you will get a very good price.
> Do you have 3 phase?

I do indeed.

> If so you can have up to 15kw and export as much as you want, over 15kw
> and the system might have to be export limited.
> When we built the new house we got 3 phase, cost about $700 extra but
> well worth it because we can have a huge amount of solar.

I definitely want to go ahead. Is your young bloke still doing it? If so
I'd like him to give me a quote for a 15kW system when he gets a chance.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: solar setups...

<klfeduF2l3cU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26128&group=aus.cars#26128

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 10:37:18 +1000
 by: Daryl - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 00:37 UTC

On 1/9/2023 11:07 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 1/09/2023 10:29 pm, Daryl wrote:
>> On 1/9/2023 9:17 pm, Noddy wrote:
>
>>> Yep. I want to put in a 15kW system. I've got nearly 300 square
>>> metres of shed roof with half of it perfectly positioned for panels.
>>>

>> You only have to ask and you will get a very good price.
>> Do you have 3 phase?
>
> I do indeed.
>
>> If so you can have up to 15kw and export as much as you want, over
>> 15kw and the system might have to be export limited.
>> When we built the new house we got 3 phase, cost about $700 extra but
>> well worth it because we can have a huge amount of solar.
>
> I definitely want to go ahead. Is your young bloke still doing it? If so
> I'd like him to give me a quote for a 15kW system when he gets a chance.

OK, I'll let him know.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: solar setups...

<ucu2o3$2t20$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26129&group=aus.cars#26129

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 11:22:11 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 01:22 UTC

On 2/09/2023 10:37 am, Daryl wrote:
> On 1/9/2023 11:07 pm, Noddy wrote:

>>> You only have to ask and you will get a very good price.
>>> Do you have 3 phase?
>>
>> I do indeed.
>>
>>> If so you can have up to 15kw and export as much as you want, over
>>> 15kw and the system might have to be export limited.
>>> When we built the new house we got 3 phase, cost about $700 extra but
>>> well worth it because we can have a huge amount of solar.
>>
>> I definitely want to go ahead. Is your young bloke still doing it? If
>> so I'd like him to give me a quote for a 15kW system when he gets a
>> chance.
>>
> OK, I'll let him know.

Awesome. Thank you.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: solar setups...

<64f2b4f5$1@news.ausics.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26133&group=aus.cars#26133

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: ozix@xizo.am (Ozix)
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 12:07:16 +0800
 by: Ozix - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 04:07 UTC

Daryl wrote:
> Very annoyed with the gas bill, it says we have reduced our gas usage
> compared to the same period last year by 48.7% but the bill only dropped
> by $95.00, the bastards make you pay no matter what you do.
> Son has never been a fan a solar batteries mostly due to the economics
> but since he has demand from his customers he is going to start
> installing them, one of his sparkies is already qualified to do the work
> and he said that we might be the first job before they get let loose on
> a paying customer, can't complain about being an experiment since my
> solar cost me nothing and I've never had a power bill at my new house.

Faark, you are getting shafted for gas in eastern states. My bill is
rarely over $100. It is only for hot water. The supply charge isn't
much. I believe the breakdown is $20 to gas network, $6 to retailer and
$1 to govco regulator.

Re: OT: solar setups...

<ucumm3$b0ol$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26139&group=aus.cars#26139

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 17:02:26 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 07:02 UTC

On 2/09/2023 2:07 pm, Ozix wrote:
> Daryl wrote:
>> Very annoyed with the gas bill, it says we have reduced our gas usage
>> compared to the same period last year by 48.7% but the bill only
>> dropped by $95.00, the bastards make you pay no matter what you do.
>> Son has never been a fan a solar batteries mostly due to the economics
>> but since he has demand from his customers he is going to start
>> installing them, one of his sparkies is already qualified to do the
>> work and he said that we might be the first job before they get let
>> loose on a paying customer, can't complain about being an experiment
>> since my solar cost me nothing and I've never had a power bill at my
>> new house.
>>

> Faark, you are getting shafted for gas in eastern states. My bill is
> rarely over $100.

Well, that's lovely. But without knowing how much gas you actually use
that figure means nothing to anyone.

> It is only for hot water.
There you go. Gas powered water heaters doesn't cost a hell of a lot to
run. If you'd bothered to read the post properly you'd see that
Lindsay's gas costs were for hot water *and* ducted central heating, and
I can tell you having the same setup myself gas ducted heating can chew
through gas almost as quickly as Clasner invents conveniently located
"friends".

Almost.

I don't know what natural gas is costing people these days as I'm on
bottled gas, but I recently switched suppliers after my last 190kg
bottle fill with my old supplier cost 780 bucks including GST, and in
the middle of winter that would last not quite 4 weeks for our cooking,
hot water and house heating needs. My new supplier offers lpg at less
that half that price ($2 per litre plus compared to $0.80 plus) so I'm
much happier, but it sounds like natural gas isn't any cheaper these
days if Lindsay is going through gas at anything like the rate I do.

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: solar setups...

<klg64fF64quU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26142&group=aus.cars#26142

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 17:21:50 +1000
 by: Daryl - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 07:21 UTC

On 2/9/2023 2:07 pm, Ozix wrote:
> Daryl wrote:
>> Very annoyed with the gas bill, it says we have reduced our gas usage
>> compared to the same period last year by 48.7% but the bill only
>> dropped by $95.00, the bastards make you pay no matter what you do.
>> Son has never been a fan a solar batteries mostly due to the economics
>> but since he has demand from his customers he is going to start
>> installing them, one of his sparkies is already qualified to do the
>> work and he said that we might be the first job before they get let
>> loose on a paying customer, can't complain about being an experiment
>> since my solar cost me nothing and I've never had a power bill at my
>> new house.
>>

> Faark, you are getting shafted for gas in eastern states. My bill is
> rarely over $100. It is only for hot water. The supply charge isn't
> much. I believe the breakdown is $20 to gas network, $6 to retailer and
> $1 to govco regulator.

Hot water uses bugger all, it the gas central heating the uses lots.
If my gas bill was only for hot water it would be well under $100 since
its gas boosted solar.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: solar setups...

<klg6ctF66t1U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26143&group=aus.cars#26143

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 17:26:23 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 07:26 UTC

On 2/09/2023 2:07 pm, Ozix wrote:
> Daryl wrote:
>> Very annoyed with the gas bill, it says we have reduced our gas usage
>> compared to the same period last year by 48.7% but the bill only
>> dropped by $95.00, the bastards make you pay no matter what you do.
>> Son has never been a fan a solar batteries mostly due to the economics
>> but since he has demand from his customers he is going to start
>> installing them, one of his sparkies is already qualified to do the
>> work and he said that we might be the first job before they get let
>> loose on a paying customer, can't complain about being an experiment
>> since my solar cost me nothing and I've never had a power bill at my
>> new house.
>>

> Faark, you are getting shafted for gas in eastern states. My bill is
> rarely over $100.

Gas bills? What are they?

> It is only for hot water. The supply charge isn't
> much. I believe the breakdown is $20 to gas network, $6 to retailer and
> $1 to govco regulator.

Solar hot water costs me nothing 9 months of the year.

Re: OT: solar setups...

<ucutvr$c2vj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26147&group=aus.cars#26147

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 19:07:04 +1000
 by: Noddy - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 09:07 UTC

On 2/09/2023 5:21 pm, Daryl wrote:

>> Faark, you are getting shafted for gas in eastern states. My bill is
>> rarely over $100. It is only for hot water. The supply charge isn't
>> much. I believe the breakdown is $20 to gas network, $6 to retailer
>> and $1 to govco regulator.
>

> Hot water uses bugger all, it the gas central heating the uses lots.

It does indeed.

> If my gas bill was only for hot water it would be well under $100 since
> its gas boosted solar.

We have gas hot water, cooking (bench mounted cooktop) and central
heating which all run on bottled gas. We get regular tanker refills, and
the refill interval varies depending on the time of year. Over the
colder months, say start of June to mid September, our central heating
is programmed to run and maintain 19 degrees in the house automatically
during the evenings, and during those periods we'll go through a full
190kg bottle of gas in about 3 to 4 weeks which is around 380 litres.

Over the warmer months it's a different story. We get our last fill for
the year in around mid November, and that takes us through till around
April where the gas bottles are supplying the hot water and cooking as
the central heating isn't used. Our "Summer" gas use used to be very low
as we had a gas boosted solar hot water system installed when we built
the house, but that only lasted 5 years before shitting itself and
rather than pay the ridiculous fee required to get another one I just
installed a gas powered instantaneous heater in it's place and now we
just heat the water as we're using it. It's a little more expensive
doing it that way in terms of running costs, but the instantaneous unit
was less than a quarter of the price of a new solar system and the price
difference between the two meant that you could run the instantaneous
unit for around 9 years before you reached the break even point of
installing a new solar unit which by then would have probably shit
itself anyway :)

The Rinnai instantaneous units are awesome, and go forever :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: solar setups...

<klgfgfF7gucU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26148&group=aus.cars#26148

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2023 20:01:51 +1000
 by: Daryl - Sat, 2 Sep 2023 10:01 UTC

On 2/9/2023 7:07 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 2/09/2023 5:21 pm, Daryl wrote:
>
>>> Faark, you are getting shafted for gas in eastern states. My bill is
>>> rarely over $100. It is only for hot water. The supply charge isn't
>>> much. I believe the breakdown is $20 to gas network, $6 to retailer
>>> and $1 to govco regulator.
>>

>> Hot water uses bugger all, it the gas central heating the uses lots.
>
> It does indeed.

We reduced our gas usage by only turning on the heating first thing in
the morning, once its up to temp it gets switched off, we have big
windows in the family room that face West and North so the sun keeps the
temp up enough so we rarely need heat during the day.
Sometimes if we need it we will turn on the heating later in the day but
we often leave it off and sit watching TV with a heated blanket covering us.
As I said we managed to reduce our gas usage by 47% so I hate to think
what the bill would be if we hadn't.
Son is moving out of his factory in October so he's removing the 7kw
split systems in the office and he's giving one to us so we intend to
use that for heating and limit the use of the gas heating even further.

>> If my gas bill was only for hot water it would be well under $100
>> since its gas boosted solar.
>
> We have gas hot water, cooking (bench mounted cooktop) and central
> heating which all run on bottled gas. We get regular tanker refills, and
> the refill interval varies depending on the time of year. Over the
> colder months, say start of June to mid September, our central heating
> is programmed to run and maintain 19 degrees in the house automatically
> during the evenings, and during those periods we'll go through a full
> 190kg bottle of gas in about 3 to 4 weeks which is around 380 litres.
>
> Over the warmer months it's a different story. We get our last fill for
> the year in around mid November, and that takes us through till around
> April where the gas bottles are supplying the hot water and cooking as
> the central heating isn't used. Our "Summer" gas use used to be very low
> as we had a gas boosted solar hot water system installed when we built
> the house, but that only lasted 5 years before shitting itself and
> rather than pay the ridiculous fee required to get another one I just
> installed a gas powered instantaneous heater in it's place and now we
> just heat the water as we're using it. It's a little more expensive
> doing it that way in terms of running costs, but the instantaneous unit
> was less than a quarter of the price of a new solar system and the price
> difference between the two meant that you could run the instantaneous
> unit for around 9 years before you reached the break even point of
> installing a new solar unit which by then would have probably shit
> itself anyway :)
>
> The Rinnai instantaneous units are awesome, and go forever :)

Wife's brother has a Rinnai instantaneous hot water and they reckon its
brilliant, they paid extra and got individual temp controls at a couple
of locations in their house, I think that they can preset their shower
temp and its always the same, just turn on the water and the temp is
perfect every time.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: solar setups...

<BxhJM.184501$X02a.88226@fx46.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26156&group=aus.cars#26156

From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 19:35:27 +1000
 by: lindsay - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 09:35 UTC

On 2/09/2023 7:07 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 2/09/2023 5:21 pm, Daryl wrote:
>
>>> Faark, you are getting shafted for gas in eastern states. My bill is
>>> rarely over $100. It is only for hot water. The supply charge isn't
>>> much. I believe the breakdown is $20 to gas network, $6 to retailer
>>> and $1 to govco regulator.
>>
>> Hot water uses bugger all, it the gas central heating the uses lots.
>
> It does indeed.

And here's our problem: Ducted heater was replaced 2 years ago, and
ducted cooler was 3 years ago.. with the impending solar setup, i'd like
to throw 'em both out, but common-sense, and the wife, tell me that it's
not an option. Mains gas is just not an option in Melb during winter for
me.... the govts also realise this.. hence the near 100% markup, which
is driving people away from gas... which is what they want.. I'm not
throwing money away if i can help it...

>> If my gas bill was only for hot water it would be well under $100
>> since its gas boosted solar.

Another option to look at, thanks Daryl!

> We have gas hot water, cooking (bench mounted cooktop) and central
> heating which all run on bottled gas. We get regular tanker refills, and
> the refill interval varies depending on the time of year. Over the
> colder months, say start of June to mid September, our central heating
> is programmed to run and maintain 19 degrees in the house automatically
> during the evenings, and during those periods we'll go through a full
> 190kg bottle of gas in about 3 to 4 weeks which is around 380 litres.
>
> Over the warmer months it's a different story. We get our last fill for
> the year in around mid November, and that takes us through till around
> April where the gas bottles are supplying the hot water and cooking as
> the central heating isn't used. Our "Summer" gas use used to be very low
> as we had a gas boosted solar hot water system installed when we built
> the house, but that only lasted 5 years before shitting itself and
> rather than pay the ridiculous fee required to get another one I just
> installed a gas powered instantaneous heater in it's place and now we
> just heat the water as we're using it. It's a little more expensive
> doing it that way in terms of running costs, but the instantaneous unit
> was less than a quarter of the price of a new solar system and the price
> difference between the two meant that you could run the instantaneous
> unit for around 9 years before you reached the break even point of
> installing a new solar unit which by then would have probably shit
> itself anyway :)
>
> The Rinnai instantaneous units are awesome, and go forever :)

I "was" looking at perhaps getting a heat pump hws... I saw a cheap
($4900 !! ) unit, 12 months old, apparently installed with some sort of
Vic Govt handout, and it's fucked. Plumber who took the video is wrapt,
as he's got plenty of work looming. I think we may look at the Rinnai
ourselves. The storage unit we have now is great, but our needs have
changed, and we dont need to heat water all day every day...

Now paying the penalty for basically ignoring the house... lots to
sort.. roof and solar is the start...

Re: OT: solar setups...

<ud4eb0$1ev34$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26158&group=aus.cars#26158

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 21:16:46 +1000
 by: Noddy - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 11:16 UTC

On 4/09/2023 7:35 pm, lindsay wrote:

>>> Hot water uses bugger all, it the gas central heating the uses lots.
>>
>> It does indeed.
>
> And here's our problem: Ducted heater was replaced 2 years ago, and
> ducted cooler was 3 years ago.. with the impending solar setup, i'd like
> to throw 'em both out, but common-sense, and the wife, tell me that it's
> not an option. Mains gas is just not an option in Melb during winter for
> me.... the govts also realise this.. hence the near 100% markup, which
> is driving people away from gas... which is what they want.. I'm not
> throwing money away if i can help it...

Yep. This state government has fucked everything over, and I'm not
talking about just a regular good old fashioned rogering. I'm talking
about strapping you across a barrel, dropping your daks and taking a run
up at you like Merv Hughes from the long mark with not so much as even a
complimentary tube of lube....

>>> If my gas bill was only for hot water it would be well under $100
>>> since its gas boosted solar.
>
> Another option to look at, thanks Daryl!
>>
>> We have gas hot water, cooking (bench mounted cooktop) and central
>> heating which all run on bottled gas. We get regular tanker refills,
>> and the refill interval varies depending on the time of year. Over the
>> colder months, say start of June to mid September, our central heating
>> is programmed to run and maintain 19 degrees in the house
>> automatically during the evenings, and during those periods we'll go
>> through a full 190kg bottle of gas in about 3 to 4 weeks which is
>> around 380 litres.
>>
>> Over the warmer months it's a different story. We get our last fill
>> for the year in around mid November, and that takes us through till
>> around April where the gas bottles are supplying the hot water and
>> cooking as the central heating isn't used. Our "Summer" gas use used
>> to be very low as we had a gas boosted solar hot water system
>> installed when we built the house, but that only lasted 5 years before
>> shitting itself and rather than pay the ridiculous fee required to get
>> another one I just installed a gas powered instantaneous heater in
>> it's place and now we just heat the water as we're using it. It's a
>> little more expensive doing it that way in terms of running costs, but
>> the instantaneous unit was less than a quarter of the price of a new
>> solar system and the price difference between the two meant that you
>> could run the instantaneous unit for around 9 years before you reached
>> the break even point of installing a new solar unit which by then
>> would have probably shit itself anyway :)
>>
>> The Rinnai instantaneous units are awesome, and go forever :)
>
> I "was" looking at perhaps getting a heat pump hws... I saw a cheap
> ($4900 !! ) unit, 12 months old, apparently installed with some sort of
> Vic Govt handout, and it's fucked. Plumber who took the video is wrapt,
> as he's got plenty of work looming.

I got a "free" government heat pump unit fitted to my shed just before
Covid. Can't remember the brand, but it's a 250 litre unit, and it
lasted about 6 months before the control panel shit itself and no longer
responds to input. It still works and heats water, but I can't make any
changes to it at all with regards to temperature or on-off times, and in
fact all I can do is switch it on and off at the mains.

It's fucking useless.....

I think we may look at the Rinnai
> ourselves. The storage unit we have now is great, but our needs have
> changed, and we dont need to heat water all day every day...

You won't regret the Rinnai. I've had a couple of them now in different
houses and they work fantastically well. If you want all the bells and
whistles then get the Infinity model as it has optional individual
temperature controls that can be mounted in the house as Daryl
mentioned, and they work really well.

If that's not your bag then there is a cheaper model called the B26
which is exactly the same as the Infinity except it doesn't have the
remote temperature control functionality. It's marketed specifically for
the building industry as the "default" unit for new homes, and it's
around 300 bucks cheaper than the Infinity model. I've had one here for
the last 5 years or so and it's been faultless.

> Now paying the penalty for basically ignoring the house... lots to
> sort.. roof and solar is the start...

It's funny. I got *sick* of renovating houses which is one of the
reasons why the wife and I decided to build a new house out here. Yet
here we are, 13 years into this place this November, and we've just
finished a big Kitchen reno, are about to pull up all the tiles and
carpet in the place and have them all replaced, and are going to
completely redesign both bathrooms.

Guess who's idea all that shit was? Hint: Not mine :)

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: solar setups...

<klm0ivF43t8U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26159&group=aus.cars#26159

From: dwalford@westpine.com.au (Daryl)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Mon, 4 Sep 2023 22:23:58 +1000
 by: Daryl - Mon, 4 Sep 2023 12:23 UTC

On 4/9/2023 9:16 pm, Noddy wrote:
> [...]
> which is exactly the same as the Infinity except it doesn't have the
> remote temperature control functionality. It's marketed specifically for
> the building industry as the "default" unit for new homes, and it's
> around 300 bucks cheaper than the Infinity model. I've had one here for
> the last 5 years or so and it's been faultless.
>
>> Now paying the penalty for basically ignoring the house... lots to
>> sort.. roof and solar is the start...
>
> It's funny. I got *sick* of renovating houses which is one of the
> reasons why the wife and I decided to build a new house out here. Yet
> here we are, 13 years into this place this November, and we've just
> finished a big Kitchen reno, are about to pull up all the tiles and
> carpet in the place and have them all replaced, and are going to
> completely redesign both bathrooms.
>
> Guess who's idea all that shit was? Hint: Not mine :)

LOL, my house is less than 4 yrs old, by the time anything needs
renovating I'll be too old to do it myself so if we can't afford to pay
someone to do it it just won't happen.

--
Daryl

Re: OT: solar setups...

<kln9roFaimqU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26162&group=aus.cars#26162

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 10:08:23 +1000
 by: Xeno - Tue, 5 Sep 2023 00:08 UTC

On 4/9/2023 9:16 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 4/09/2023 7:35 pm, lindsay wrote:

>>> It does indeed.
>>
>> And here's our problem: Ducted heater was replaced 2 years ago, and
>> ducted cooler was 3 years ago.. with the impending solar setup, i'd
>> like to throw 'em both out, but common-sense, and the wife, tell me
>> that it's not an option. Mains gas is just not an option in Melb
>> during winter for me.... the govts also realise this.. hence the near
>> 100% markup, which is driving people away from gas... which is what
>> they want.. I'm not throwing money away if i can help it...
>
> Yep. This state government has fucked everything over, and I'm not
> talking about just a regular good old fashioned rogering. I'm talking
> about strapping you across a barrel, dropping your daks and taking a run
> up at you like Merv Hughes from the long mark with not so much as even a
> complimentary tube of lube....

No doubt that's experience talking. After all, you do bang on about
*experience* a lot.

<further bullshit chopped>

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: solar setups...

<f3606349-e460-495a-878b-822f75a576edn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26166&group=aus.cars#26166

Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2023 21:07:48 -0700 (PDT)
From: alex@3rdgen.io (Alex Leon)
 by: Alex Leon - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 04:07 UTC

On Monday, September 4, 2023 at 5:08:27 PM UTC-7, Xeno wrote:
> On 4/9/2023 9:16 pm, Noddy wrote:

> >> And here's our problem: Ducted heater was replaced 2 years ago, and
> >> ducted cooler was 3 years ago.. with the impending solar setup, i'd
> >> like to throw 'em both out, but common-sense, and the wife, tell me
> >> that it's not an option. Mains gas is just not an option in Melb
> >> during winter for me.... the govts also realise this.. hence the near
> >> 100% markup, which is driving people away from gas... which is what
> >> they want.. I'm not throwing money away if i can help it...
> >
> > Yep. This state government has fucked everything over, and I'm not
> > talking about just a regular good old fashioned rogering. I'm talking
> > about strapping you across a barrel, dropping your daks and taking a run
> > up at you like Merv Hughes from the long mark with not so much as even a
> > complimentary tube of lube....
> No doubt that's experience talking. After all, you do bang on about
> *experience* a lot.
>
> <further bullshit chopped>
>

> --
> Xeno
>

> Nothing astonishes Noddy so much as common sense and plain dealing.
> (with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Thinking about what heat pumps can do for the best of us in any climate is amazing, where even if the house if very old or very new many homeowners can benefit from the types of housing it can bring with hvac comfort being at the forefront of the home. With the right mini split use can have a single or multi zone functioning that makes all the best ways of finding a better system possible with little amount reseach, check out these guys for more information, we love to work for them and give them the opportunity to add comfort to all our homes and business offices, like seriously.
https://3rdgen.io/2023/06/12/when-should-i-replace-the-hvac-air-conditioner-system/
https://3rdgen.io/2023/06/08/hvac-controls-and-system-management/
https://3rdgen.io/2023/06/07/what-is-a-heat-pump/
https://3rdgen.io/2023/06/05/reduce-energy-consumption-in-contra-costa-with-a-smart-thermostat/
https://3rdgen.io/2023/06/02/main-advantages-of-mini-split-systems/
https://3rdgen.io/2023/05/31/what-is-a-mini-split-system-how-do-they-work/
https://3rdgen.io/2023/05/30/heat-pump-systems-electric-heat-pumps-offer-an-eco-friendly-alternative-to-traditional-furnaces-and-air-conditioners/
https://3rdgen.io/2023/05/22/mitsubishi-wireless-mobile-app-kumo-cloud/
https://3rdgen.io/2023/07/13/why-homeowners-choose-mitsubishi-electric-multi-zoned-heat-pumps/
https://3rdgen.io/2023/07/13/zoned-home-hvac-system-mini-split-units-for-the-whole-home/

Re: OT: solar setups...

<ud9b5h$2dnpl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26167&group=aus.cars#26167

From: me@home.com (Noddy)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 17:53:21 +1000
 by: Noddy - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 07:53 UTC

On 6/09/2023 2:07 pm, Alex Leon wrote:

> Thinking about what heat pumps can do for the best of us in any climate is amazing,

(<spamming bullshit snipped>

Oh, look. Another American who has no idea what "aus" means.....

Regards,
Noddy.

Re: OT: solar setups...

<ud9cb9$2duij$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26168&group=aus.cars#26168

From: notgonna@happen.com (Clocky)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 16:12:52 +0800
 by: Clocky - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 08:12 UTC

On 6/09/2023 3:53 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 6/09/2023 2:07 pm, Alex Leon wrote:
>
>> Thinking about what heat pumps can do for the best of us in any
>> climate is amazing,
>
> (<spamming bullshit snipped>
>
> Oh, look. Another American who has no idea what "aus" means.....

Put your badge away sheriff irrelevant, you and your mates can treat
this place like it's your own OT email server FFS.

-
In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a
proven liar."

On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
"He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

Re: OT: solar setups...

<klqtufFscubU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26169&group=aus.cars#26169

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 19:09:35 +1000
 by: Xeno - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 09:09 UTC

On 6/9/2023 5:53 pm, Noddy wrote:
> On 6/09/2023 2:07 pm, Alex Leon wrote:
>
>> Thinking about what heat pumps can do for the best of us in any
>> climate is amazing,
>
> (<spamming bullshit snipped>
>
> Oh, look. Another American who has no idea what "aus" means.....

Hey Darren, it's a *public newsgroup*, spammers don't care *where* it
is, they'll spam the lot.

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: solar setups...

<klqu04FscubU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26170&group=aus.cars#26170

From: xenolith@optusnet.com.au (Xeno)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 19:10:28 +1000
 by: Xeno - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 09:10 UTC

On 6/9/2023 6:12 pm, Clocky wrote:
> On 6/09/2023 3:53 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 6/09/2023 2:07 pm, Alex Leon wrote:
>>
>>> Thinking about what heat pumps can do for the best of us in any
>>> climate is amazing,
>>
>> (<spamming bullshit snipped>
>>
>> Oh, look. Another American who has no idea what "aus" means.....
>>

> Put your badge away sheriff irrelevant, you and your mates can treat
> this place like it's your own OT email server FFS.

They certainly do, then they get all miffed when you call them out on it.

>  -
> In thread "May need to buy petrol soon" Sept 23 2021 11:15:59am
> Keithr0 wrote: "He made the assertion either he proves it or he is a
> proven liar."
>
> On Sept 23 2021 3:16:29pm Keithr0 wrote:
> "He asserts that the claim is true, so, if it is unproven, he is lying."

--
Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Re: OT: solar setups...

<tkYJM.621483$xMqa.147626@fx12.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=26171&group=aus.cars#26171

Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Wed, 6 Sep 2023 20:16:54 +1000
 by: lindsay - Wed, 6 Sep 2023 10:16 UTC

On 6/09/2023 7:09 pm, Xeno wrote:
> On 6/9/2023 5:53 pm, Noddy wrote:
>> On 6/09/2023 2:07 pm, Alex Leon wrote:
>>
>>> Thinking about what heat pumps can do for the best of us in any
>>> climate is amazing,
>>
>> (<spamming bullshit snipped>
>>
>> Oh, look. Another American who has no idea what "aus" means.....
>>
> Hey Darren, it's a *public newsgroup*, spammers don't care *where* it
> is, they'll spam the lot.

Thanks for your extremely intelligent insight, but *YOU* have already
fucked the last 3 threads in here with your bile and lust for your
nemesis, so why dont you have a break, and include your neck in it?
The "spam" is way better to read, that the repetitive slop you vomit at
every opportunity.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: OT: solar setups...