From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Subject: O.T. Some pictures for Lindsay
Date: Sat, 20 May 2023 19:24:09 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Sat, 20 May 2023 09:24 UTC

Mauna Kia a couple of days ago, it's the world's tallest mountain (not
the highest obviously), it sticks up 13803 feet above sea level, but the
base is 20000 feet below sea level making it taller than Everest.

There are a whole bunch of telescopes near the top, they want to build a
new one 30 freaking metres across, but the Hawaiians, who consider the
mountain sacred are a bit uppity about it

It's farking cold up there and the air is 40% less dense, but the views
are great.

https://imgur.com/a/LhdER83

Re: O.T. Some pictures for Lindsay

<qWEaM.2083789$Tcw8.1137604@fx10.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24413&group=aus.cars#24413

Subject: Re: O.T. Some pictures for Lindsay
Newsgroups: aus.cars
From: nope@nunnya.business.com.au (lindsay)
Date: Mon, 22 May 2023 17:34:41 +1000
 by: lindsay - Mon, 22 May 2023 07:34 UTC

On 20/05/2023 7:24 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
> Mauna Kia a couple of days ago, it's the world's tallest mountain (not
> the highest obviously), it sticks up 13803 feet above sea level, but the
> base is 20000 feet below sea level making it taller than Everest.

Not walking up that!!!!! :-) Helo please!

> There are a whole bunch of telescopes near the top, they want to build a
> new one 30 freaking metres across, but the Hawaiians, who consider the
> mountain sacred are a bit uppity about it
>
> It's farking cold up there

Just spent 8 days at my joint, last 3 days had snow in the local area,
thankfully I have no shortage of firewood.. be back in a couple of
weeks... burn more!!

and the air is 40% less dense, but the views are great.

> https://imgur.com/a/LhdER83

Awesome stuff. Was that a day or overnighter? Not too sure I'd survive
with 40% less oxygen due to my previous employment, but those pics are
awesome. I seem to remember a doco on the construction of those
telescopes. The road's creation was "special". One of the buildings is a
"laser" room? They are one of the greater scope setups in the world due
to the altitude. Chile has another world renown high altitude setup... I
wont get to either... Last 2 nights up the block the stars were out big
time, but someone gave me covid, so I've been sheltering from the cold,
and heat haze and smoke dont work in photos..

Changed plans with P&0 re NZ cruise in Jan 24, discovered we get
priority boarding and disembarkation, free wifi, and with 6-7 ports (no
tenders afaik) i paid the 2nd deposit today. But already looking at
alternative cruise destinations from Melburg...

Are/have you done the Pacific Air Museum and the Arizona memorial?
Both on my bucket list...

Cheers

Re: O.T. Some pictures for Lindsay

<kd8gi3F6dp4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=24440&group=aus.cars#24440

From: nothing.to.see@here.com.au (Keithr0)
Newsgroups: aus.cars
Date: Thu, 25 May 2023 17:20:35 +1000
 by: Keithr0 - Thu, 25 May 2023 07:20 UTC

On 22/05/2023 5:34 pm, lindsay wrote:
> On 20/05/2023 7:24 pm, Keithr0 wrote:
>> Mauna Kia a couple of days ago, it's the world's tallest mountain
>> (not the highest obviously), it sticks up 13803 feet above sea
level, >> but the base is 20000 feet below sea level making it taller than
>> Everest.
>
> Not walking up that!!!!! 😄 Helo please!

Me neither, we went up in a 4W Merc mini bus, but some do. We saw hikers
on the way up, and, apparently, there is an occasional running race up there

>> There are a whole bunch of telescopes near the top, they want to
>> build a new one 30 freaking metres across, but the Hawaiians, who
>> consider the mountain sacred are a bit uppity about it
>>
>> It's farking cold up there
>
> Just spent 8 days at my joint, last 3 days had snow in the local
area, > thankfully I have no shortage of firewood.. be back in a couple of
> weeks... burn more!!
>

> and the air is 40% less dense, but the views are great.
>>
>> https://imgur.com/a/LhdER83
>

> Awesome stuff. Was that a day or overnighter?

Nobody, not even the workers stay up there more than a few hours.

> Not too sure I'd survive with 40% less oxygen due to my previous
> employment,

There is an obligatory 30 minute stop at the 9000 foot level to
acclimatise. There is a ranger station there, and dormitories for the
workers. It's also the highest that you're allowed to go with a 2WD, the
road turns to dirt at that point, it's rough and steep until you get
closer to the 'scopes where it's sealed again to prevent dust affecting
the 'scopes. The driver/guide had a oximeter, my blood oxygen level is
usually 94-97%, up there it was 67%.

> but those pics are
> awesome. I seem to remember a doco on the construction of those
> telescopes. The road's creation was "special". One of the buildings
is > a "laser" room? They are one of the greater scope setups in the
world > due to the altitude. Chile has another world renown high altitude
> setup... I wont get to either... Last 2 nights up the block the stars
> were out big time, but someone gave me covid, so I've been sheltering
> from the cold, and heat haze and smoke dont work in photos..

They are removing a couple to the old telescopes soon to make way for
the 30 metre job. Perhaps you'd care to make a bid? 😄

> Changed plans with P&0 re NZ cruise in Jan 24, discovered we get
> priority boarding and disembarkation, free wifi, and with 6-7 ports
> (no tenders afaik) i paid the 2nd deposit today. But already looking
> at alternative cruise destinations from Melburg...

Sounds a good deal, we did NZ at Xmas, Fjordland - Dunnedin -
Christchurch - Wellington - Picton - Napier - Turanga - Auckland - Bay
of Islands, good stuff. If you go to Picton make sure you go to Omaka
museum at Marlborough, Peter Jackson has put a lot of money and effort
into it and it's well worthwhile.

> Are/have you done the Pacific Air Museum and the Arizona memorial?
> Both on my bucket list...

Been to the Arizona on a previous trip some time ago but not to the PAM.
If you want to go to the Arizona, either book on an organised tour or
get there early, it's very popular.

aus+uk / aus.cars / Re: O.T. Some pictures for Lindsay