Who was that masked man?

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

SubjectAuthor
* Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Chris Green
+- Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Andy Burns
+* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Clive Arthur
|+* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Tim Streater
||`* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Tim Lamb
|| +- Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!SteveW
|| `* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Chris Green
||  +* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Graham.
||  |+* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Max Demian
||  ||`* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Sam Plusnet
||  || +* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!nibble
||  || |`- Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Sam Plusnet
||  || `* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Max Demian
||  ||  `* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Sam Plusnet
||  ||   `* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!wasbit
||  ||    `* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Sam Plusnet
||  ||     +* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Bob Eager
||  ||     |+* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Bob Martin
||  ||     ||+- Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Bob Eager
||  ||     ||`* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!nib
||  ||     || `- Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!charles
||  ||     |`- Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Andrew
||  ||     `- Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Andy Burns
||  |`* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Andy Burns
||  | `* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!SteveW
||  |  +* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Spike
||  |  |`* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Max Demian
||  |  | `* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!charles
||  |  |  `* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Andy Burns
||  |  |   `- Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Chris Green
||  |  `* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Clive Arthur
||  |   `- Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Max Demian
||  +- Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Tim Lamb
||  `* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Andy Burns
||   `- Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Sam Plusnet
|`* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!L
| `- Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Sam Plusnet
+- Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!alan_m
+* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Tricky Dicky
|`- Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Andy Burns
`* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Peter Able
 `* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Sam Plusnet
  +- Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Peter Able
  `* Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Max Demian
   `- Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!Peter Able

Pages:12
Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<cfctfk-d51p2.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129442&group=uk.d-i-y#129442

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:38:52 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:38 UTC

Does anyone else find the new (supposedly wonderfully brilliant and
clever) non-separating screw caps for plastic bottles incredibly
frustrating?

I put up with them for a while thinking I might get used to them but
now I simply pull them separate from the bottle and, with great
relief, use them the way they used to be!

There's two major problems with them:-

1 - When you screw them back on they are **much** more difficult to
get straight so you often cross thread them. They then don't seal
properly and the fizz goes (if it's a fizzy drink) or the next
time you shake your orange juice it dribbles.

2 - When you pour from the bottle the attached cap gets in the way and
messes up the pouring, you either have to orient the bottle carefully
or (if the cap is loose as it often is) hold the cap out of the way.

....mumble, mumble, mutter, I'm geting steadily more and more like
Victor Meldrew. :-)

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<l92evlFdm6jU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129443&group=uk.d-i-y#129443

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:52:20 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:52 UTC

Chris Green wrote:

> now I simply pull them separate from the bottle and, with great
> relief, use them the way they used to be!

Ditto.

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<v0h595$3thli$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129445&group=uk.d-i-y#129445

From: clive@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 22:11:01 +0100
 by: Clive Arthur - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 21:11 UTC

On 26/04/2024 20:38, Chris Green wrote:
> Does anyone else find the new (supposedly wonderfully brilliant and
> clever) non-separating screw caps for plastic bottles incredibly
> frustrating?
>
> I put up with them for a while thinking I might get used to them but
> now I simply pull them separate from the bottle and, with great
> relief, use them the way they used to be!
>
> There's two major problems with them:-
>
> 1 - When you screw them back on they are **much** more difficult to
> get straight so you often cross thread them. They then don't seal
> properly and the fizz goes (if it's a fizzy drink) or the next
> time you shake your orange juice it dribbles.

You first push them down without screwing so they click into place, then
tighten them by screwing.

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<l93mqkFkdihU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129455&group=uk.d-i-y#129455

From: tim@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 27 Apr 2024 07:12:20 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 07:12 UTC

On 26 Apr 2024 at 22:11:01 BST, "Clive Arthur" <clive@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote:

> On 26/04/2024 20:38, Chris Green wrote:
>> Does anyone else find the new (supposedly wonderfully brilliant and
>> clever) non-separating screw caps for plastic bottles incredibly
>> frustrating?
>>
>> I put up with them for a while thinking I might get used to them but
>> now I simply pull them separate from the bottle and, with great
>> relief, use them the way they used to be!
>>
>> There's two major problems with them:-
>>
>> 1 - When you screw them back on they are **much** more difficult to
>> get straight so you often cross thread them. They then don't seal
>> properly and the fizz goes (if it's a fizzy drink) or the next
>> time you shake your orange juice it dribbles.
>
> You first push them down without screwing so they click into place, then
> tighten them by screwing.

I thought that too. But they don't click.

>> 2 - When you pour from the bottle the attached cap gets in the way and
>> messes up the pouring, you either have to orient the bottle carefully
>> or (if the cap is loose as it often is) hold the cap out of the way.

3. They are much shallower than the old ones, and so are harder for older,
more arthritic, hands to open.

4. What is the supposed point of this change?

--
Tim

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<l93pncFkqq4U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129460&group=uk.d-i-y#129460

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 09:01:48 +0100
 by: alan_m - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 08:01 UTC

On 26/04/2024 20:38, Chris Green wrote:
> Does anyone else find the new (supposedly wonderfully brilliant and
> clever) non-separating screw caps for plastic bottles incredibly
> frustrating?
>
> I put up with them for a while thinking I might get used to them but
> now I simply pull them separate from the bottle and, with great
> relief, use them the way they used to be!
>
> There's two major problems with them:-
>
> 1 - When you screw them back on they are **much** more difficult to
> get straight so you often cross thread them. They then don't seal
> properly and the fizz goes (if it's a fizzy drink) or the next
> time you shake your orange juice it dribbles.
>
> 2 - When you pour from the bottle the attached cap gets in the way and
> messes up the pouring, you either have to orient the bottle carefully
> or (if the cap is loose as it often is) hold the cap out of the way.
>
> ...mumble, mumble, mutter, I'm geting steadily more and more like
> Victor Meldrew. :-)

There seems to have been changes to the caps on the 2 litre plastic milk
bottles where the caps are now made of a much thinner and softer white
translucent plastic. Counter-intuitively gripping the cap tightly makes
it much harder to remove as it deforms and tightens on to the mating
tread. I've found when gripping the cap tightly or using a tool the cap
is difficult to get off but with a gentle touch using the thumb on one
side and a finger of the opposite side the cap will often come off with
ease.

Part of the problem with initially opening these bottles is that there
is a foil seal under the cap. Once the seal is removed the cap is
easier to remove but being made so thin and soft you cannot store an
opened bottle on it's without it leaking.

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<nYdZfLQjHLLmFwvl@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129461&group=uk.d-i-y#129461

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 09:05:55 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 08:05 UTC

In message <l93mqkFkdihU1@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater
<tim@streater.me.uk> writes
>On 26 Apr 2024 at 22:11:01 BST, "Clive Arthur" <clive@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> On 26/04/2024 20:38, Chris Green wrote:
>>> Does anyone else find the new (supposedly wonderfully brilliant and
>>> clever) non-separating screw caps for plastic bottles incredibly
>>> frustrating?
>>>
>>> I put up with them for a while thinking I might get used to them but
>>> now I simply pull them separate from the bottle and, with great
>>> relief, use them the way they used to be!
>>>
>>> There's two major problems with them:-
>>>
>>> 1 - When you screw them back on they are **much** more difficult to
>>> get straight so you often cross thread them. They then don't seal
>>> properly and the fizz goes (if it's a fizzy drink) or the next
>>> time you shake your orange juice it dribbles.
>>
>> You first push them down without screwing so they click into place, then
>> tighten them by screwing.
>
>I thought that too. But they don't click.
>
>>> 2 - When you pour from the bottle the attached cap gets in the way and
>>> messes up the pouring, you either have to orient the bottle carefully
>>> or (if the cap is loose as it often is) hold the cap out of the way.
>
>3. They are much shallower than the old ones, and so are harder for older,
>more arthritic, hands to open.
>
>4. What is the supposed point of this change?

Try looking at this from the manufacturers POV.

Probably helps automate some production process or save a fraction of
one pence per item.

The designer may consider re-fitting to be unnecessary.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<v0ie55$93gv$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129462&group=uk.d-i-y#129462

From: tricky.dicky@sky.com (Tricky Dicky)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 08:48:37 -0000 (UTC)
sha1:tEtVxshxEBNyu8h+RpzBJhCKDQc=
 by: Tricky Dicky - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 08:48 UTC

Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:
> Does anyone else find the new (supposedly wonderfully brilliant and
> clever) non-separating screw caps for plastic bottles incredibly
> frustrating?
>
> I put up with them for a while thinking I might get used to them but
> now I simply pull them separate from the bottle and, with great
> relief, use them the way they used to be!
>
> There's two major problems with them:-
>
> 1 - When you screw them back on they are **much** more difficult to
> get straight so you often cross thread them. They then don't seal
> properly and the fizz goes (if it's a fizzy drink) or the next
> time you shake your orange juice it dribbles.
>
> 2 - When you pour from the bottle the attached cap gets in the way and
> messes up the pouring, you either have to orient the bottle carefully
> or (if the cap is loose as it often is) hold the cap out of the way.
>
> ...mumble, mumble, mutter, I'm geting steadily more and more like
> Victor Meldrew. :-)

There is nothing Victor Meldrew about your frustration, it is a crap design
a so called improvement over what was before which worked perfectly well.

There is probably some environmental reason behind it with drinks
manufacturers trying to virtue signal

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<v0ieu4$98ue$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129463&group=uk.d-i-y#129463

From: L@uk.co.uk (L)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 10:01:56 +0100
 by: L - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 09:01 UTC

Clive Arthur wrote:
>On 26/04/2024 20:38, Chris Green wrote:
>> Does anyone else find the new (supposedly wonderfully brilliant and
>> clever) non-separating screw caps for plastic bottles incredibly
>> frustrating?
>>
>> I put up with them for a while thinking I might get used to them but
>> now I simply pull them separate from the bottle and, with great
>> relief, use them the way they used to be!
>>
>> There's two major problems with them:-
>>
>> 1 - When you screw them back on they are **much** more difficult to
>> get straight so you often cross thread them. They then don't seal
>> properly and the fizz goes (if it's a fizzy drink) or the next
>> time you shake your orange juice it dribbles.
>
>You first push them down without screwing so they click into place, then
>tighten them by screwing.
>
>> 2 - When you pour from the bottle the attached cap gets in the way and
>> messes up the pouring, you either have to orient the bottle carefully
>> or (if the cap is loose as it often is) hold the cap out of the way.
>>
>> ...mumble, mumble, mutter, I'm geting steadily more and more like
>> Victor Meldrew. :-)
>>

>--
>Cheers
>Clive
Yea
It’s little bit tricky to close the cap

But, what’s the purpose for non separating cap? 🤔

--

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<v0if4b$9798$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129464&group=uk.d-i-y#129464

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 10:05:13 +0100
 by: SteveW - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 09:05 UTC

On 27/04/2024 09:05, Tim Lamb wrote:
> In message <l93mqkFkdihU1@mid.individual.net>, Tim Streater
> <tim@streater.me.uk> writes
>> On 26 Apr 2024 at 22:11:01 BST, "Clive Arthur"
>> <clive@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote:

>>> You first push them down without screwing so they click into place, then
>>> tighten them by screwing.
>>
>> I thought that too. But they don't click.

>> 3. They are much shallower than the old ones, and so are harder for
>> older,
>> more arthritic, hands to open.
>>
>> 4. What is the supposed point of this change?
>
> Try looking at this from the manufacturers POV.
>
> Probably helps automate some production process or save a fraction of
> one pence per item.
>
> The designer may consider re-fitting to be unnecessary.

When they were introduced, it was stated that the attachment was to make
it more likely that the caps are recycled along with the bottle -
however, the bottles are bulky and surely everyone squashes them flat
and puts the cap on to stop them re-inflating?

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<gd1vfk-ca8s2.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129466&group=uk.d-i-y#129466

From: cl@isbd.net (Chris Green)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 11:42:24 +0100
 by: Chris Green - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 10:42 UTC

Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> >On 26 Apr 2024 at 22:11:01 BST, "Clive Arthur" <clive@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote:
> >

> >4. What is the supposed point of this change?
>
> Try looking at this from the manufacturers POV.
>
> Probably helps automate some production process or save a fraction of
> one pence per item.
>
> The designer may consider re-fitting to be unnecessary.

OP here. I think it's some sort of green/recycling idea to keep the
top with the bottle when it's thrown away.

--
Chris Green
·

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<51pp2j5kcufjl5qhc21c3ac5834ac3ar77@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129469&group=uk.d-i-y#129469

From: graham-usenet@mail.com (Graham.)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 12:47:15 +0100
 by: Graham. - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 11:47 UTC

On Sat, 27 Apr 2024 11:42:24 +0100, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net> wrote:

>Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> >On 26 Apr 2024 at 22:11:01 BST, "Clive Arthur" <clive@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote:
>> >

>> >4. What is the supposed point of this change?
>>
>> Try looking at this from the manufacturers POV.
>>
>> Probably helps automate some production process or save a fraction of
>> one pence per item.
>>
>> The designer may consider re-fitting to be unnecessary.
>
>OP here. I think it's some sort of green/recycling idea to keep the
>top with the bottle when it's thrown away.

Exactly the same as the change to the ring-pull beer can that happened
decades ago.

I'm sure our local council (Bury MBC) once advised that bottle caps
were not recyclable and should go in the general waste.
Now it seems to be the form-factor that determines what goes in the
recycling bin. If it looks lika a bottle it goes in, irrespective of
the material.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<v0it3i$cdki$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129470&group=uk.d-i-y#129470

From: stuck@home.com (Peter Able)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:03:46 +0100
 by: Peter Able - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 13:03 UTC

On 26/04/2024 20:38, Chris Green wrote:
> Does anyone else find the new (supposedly wonderfully brilliant and
> clever) non-separating screw caps for plastic bottles incredibly
> frustrating?
>
> I put up with them for a while thinking I might get used to them but
> now I simply pull them separate from the bottle and, with great
> relief, use them the way they used to be!
>
> There's two major problems with them:-
>
> 1 - When you screw them back on they are **much** more difficult to
> get straight so you often cross thread them. They then don't seal
> properly and the fizz goes (if it's a fizzy drink) or the next
> time you shake your orange juice it dribbles.
>
> 2 - When you pour from the bottle the attached cap gets in the way and
> messes up the pouring, you either have to orient the bottle carefully
> or (if the cap is loose as it often is) hold the cap out of the way.
>
> ...mumble, mumble, mutter, I'm geting steadily more and more like
> Victor Meldrew. :-)

Complain. Tesco handed over £10 when I reported this issue to them.

Why can't we make anything properly nowadays - other than a mess of things?

PA

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<gzuolTRsWQLmFw8m@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129474&group=uk.d-i-y#129474

From: tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk (Tim Lamb)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 15:03:24 +0100
 by: Tim Lamb - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 14:03 UTC

In message <gd1vfk-ca8s2.ln1@esprimo.zbmc.eu>, Chris Green <cl@isbd.net>
writes
>Tim Lamb <tim@marfordfarm.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>> >On 26 Apr 2024 at 22:11:01 BST, "Clive Arthur"
>> ><clive@nowaytoday.co.uk> wrote:
>> >

>> >4. What is the supposed point of this change?
>>
>> Try looking at this from the manufacturers POV.
>>
>> Probably helps automate some production process or save a fraction of
>> one pence per item.
>>
>> The designer may consider re-fitting to be unnecessary.
>
>OP here. I think it's some sort of green/recycling idea to keep the
>top with the bottle when it's thrown away.

Indeed. I have just checked our council waste advisories and they do say
refit the top after cleaning and squash to save space.

I have doubts about the polycarbonate drinks containers where the tops
are clearly a different material.

--
Tim Lamb

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<0bbXN.4746$MIS3.31@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129478&group=uk.d-i-y#129478

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 19:09:00 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 18:09 UTC

On 27-Apr-24 10:01, L wrote:
> Clive Arthur wrote:
>> On 26/04/2024 20:38, Chris Green wrote:
>>> Does anyone else find the new (supposedly wonderfully brilliant and
>>> clever) non-separating screw caps for plastic bottles incredibly
>>> frustrating?
>>>
>>> I put up with them for a while thinking I might get used to them but
>>> now I simply pull them separate from the bottle and, with great
>>> relief, use them the way they used to be!
>>>
>>> There's two major problems with them:-
>>>
>>> 1 - When you screw them back on they are **much** more difficult to
>>> get straight so you often cross thread them. They then don't seal
>>> properly and the fizz goes (if it's a fizzy drink) or the next
>>> time you shake your orange juice it dribbles.
>>
>> You first push them down without screwing so they click into place, then
>> tighten them by screwing.
>>
>>> 2 - When you pour from the bottle the attached cap gets in the way and
>>> messes up the pouring, you either have to orient the bottle carefully
>>> or (if the cap is loose as it often is) hold the cap out of the way.
>>>
>>> ...mumble, mumble, mutter, I'm geting steadily more and more like
>>> Victor Meldrew. :-)
>>>

>> --
>> Cheers
>> Clive
> Yea
> It’s little bit tricky to close the cap
>
> But, what’s the purpose for non separating cap? 🤔

Re: Sigh cling (apparently).

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<XcbXN.4747$MIS3.181@fx11.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129479&group=uk.d-i-y#129479

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 19:11:03 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 18:11 UTC

On 27-Apr-24 14:03, Peter Able wrote:
> On 26/04/2024 20:38, Chris Green wrote:
>> Does anyone else find the new (supposedly wonderfully brilliant and
>> clever) non-separating screw caps for plastic bottles incredibly
>> frustrating?
>>
>> I put up with them for a while thinking I might get used to them but
>> now I simply pull them separate from the bottle and, with great
>> relief, use them the way they used to be!
>>
>> There's two major problems with them:-
>>
>> 1 - When you screw them back on they are **much** more difficult to
>> get straight so you often cross thread them. They then don't seal
>> properly and the fizz goes (if it's a fizzy drink) or the next
>> time you shake your orange juice it dribbles.
>>
>> 2 - When you pour from the bottle the attached cap gets in the way and
>> messes up the pouring, you either have to orient the bottle carefully
>> or (if the cap is loose as it often is) hold the cap out of the way.
>>
>> ...mumble, mumble, mutter, I'm geting steadily more and more like
>> Victor Meldrew. :-)
>>

> Complain. Tesco handed over £10 when I reported this issue to them.
>
> Why can't we make anything properly nowadays - other than a mess of things?

You might be happy with your £10, but it solves nothing and is simply
their way of saying "Go away and stop bothering us."

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<v0jfll$gjja$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129481&group=uk.d-i-y#129481

From: max_demian@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 19:20:37 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 18:20 UTC

On 27/04/2024 12:47, Graham. wrote:

>>> Try looking at this from the manufacturers POV.
>>>
>>> Probably helps automate some production process or save a fraction of
>>> one pence per item.
>>>
>>> The designer may consider re-fitting to be unnecessary.
>>
>> OP here. I think it's some sort of green/recycling idea to keep the
>> top with the bottle when it's thrown away.
>
> Exactly the same as the change to the ring-pull beer can that happened
> decades ago.

That was to protect wildlife.

> I'm sure our local council (Bury MBC) once advised that bottle caps
> were not recyclable and should go in the general waste.
> Now it seems to be the form-factor that determines what goes in the
> recycling bin. If it looks lika a bottle it goes in, irrespective of
> the material.

What about bottles with metal caps? Usually there is also a metal collar
on the neck of the bottle that stays on the bottle, sometimes quite a
substantial one.

--
Max Demian

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<l95h79Fsq4uU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129491&group=uk.d-i-y#129491

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 00:48:58 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 23:48 UTC

Tricky Dicky wrote:

> it is a crap design
> a so called improvement over what was before which worked perfectly well.
>
> There is probably some environmental reason behind it with drinks
> manufacturers trying to virtue signal

I wouldn't say perfectly well ... the previous modification of 2 litre
screwtops from about 18mm to about 10mm high ensures the pressure
required to open them almost rips the skin from your fingers ...

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<l95hi4Fsq4uU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129492&group=uk.d-i-y#129492

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 00:54:45 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 23:54 UTC

Chris Green wrote:

> I think it's some sort of green/recycling idea to keep the
> top with the bottle when it's thrown away.

Normally they'd complain about mixed plastics (the bottle is PET and the
cap is HDPE).

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<l95hpgFsq4uU3@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129494&group=uk.d-i-y#129494

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 00:58:41 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Sat, 27 Apr 2024 23:58 UTC

Graham. wrote:

> Now it seems to be the form-factor that determines what goes in the
> recycling bin. If it looks lika a bottle it goes in, irrespective of
> the material.

I see we've been given a four year delay on the "reverse vending
machine" scheme for plastic bottles and cans ...

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<v0ljc6$12jlq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129514&group=uk.d-i-y#129514

From: stuck@home.com (Peter Able)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 14:36:04 +0100
 by: Peter Able - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 13:36 UTC

On 27/04/2024 19:11, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 27-Apr-24 14:03, Peter Able wrote:
>> On 26/04/2024 20:38, Chris Green wrote:
>>> Does anyone else find the new (supposedly wonderfully brilliant and
>>> clever) non-separating screw caps for plastic bottles incredibly
>>> frustrating?
>>>
>>> I put up with them for a while thinking I might get used to them but
>>> now I simply pull them separate from the bottle and, with great
>>> relief, use them the way they used to be!
>>>
>>> There's two major problems with them:-
>>>
>>> 1 - When you screw them back on they are **much** more difficult to
>>> get straight so you often cross thread them. They then don't seal
>>> properly and the fizz goes (if it's a fizzy drink) or the next
>>> time you shake your orange juice it dribbles.
>>>
>>> 2 - When you pour from the bottle the attached cap gets in the way and
>>> messes up the pouring, you either have to orient the bottle carefully
>>> or (if the cap is loose as it often is) hold the cap out of the way.
>>>
>>> ...mumble, mumble, mutter, I'm geting steadily more and more like
>>> Victor Meldrew. :-)
>>>

>> Complain. Tesco handed over £10 when I reported this issue to them.
>>
>> Why can't we make anything properly nowadays - other than a mess of
>> things?
>
> You might be happy with your £10, but it solves nothing and is simply
> their way of saying "Go away and stop bothering us."

And you've wasted more time with another of your facile comments - and
you didn't paid anything for doing so. So, who's the Mug?

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<v0ljtq$12j92$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129518&group=uk.d-i-y#129518

From: max_demian@bigfoot.com (Max Demian)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 14:45:30 +0100
 by: Max Demian - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 13:45 UTC

On 27/04/2024 19:11, Sam Plusnet wrote:
> On 27-Apr-24 14:03, Peter Able wrote:
>> On 26/04/2024 20:38, Chris Green wrote:
>>> Does anyone else find the new (supposedly wonderfully brilliant and
>>> clever) non-separating screw caps for plastic bottles incredibly
>>> frustrating?
>>>
>>> I put up with them for a while thinking I might get used to them but
>>> now I simply pull them separate from the bottle and, with great
>>> relief, use them the way they used to be!
>>>
>>> There's two major problems with them:-
>>>
>>> 1 - When you screw them back on they are **much** more difficult to
>>> get straight so you often cross thread them. They then don't seal
>>> properly and the fizz goes (if it's a fizzy drink) or the next
>>> time you shake your orange juice it dribbles.
>>>
>>> 2 - When you pour from the bottle the attached cap gets in the way and
>>> messes up the pouring, you either have to orient the bottle carefully
>>> or (if the cap is loose as it often is) hold the cap out of the way.
>>>
>>> ...mumble, mumble, mutter, I'm geting steadily more and more like
>>> Victor Meldrew. :-)
>>>

>> Complain. Tesco handed over £10 when I reported this issue to them.
>>
>> Why can't we make anything properly nowadays - other than a mess of
>> things?
>
> You might be happy with your £10, but it solves nothing and is simply
> their way of saying "Go away and stop bothering us."

Like the customer service practice of refunding if there is something
the matter with a product - no-one tells the supplier there is something
wrong, so it isn't corrected unless quality control picks it up.

--
Max Demian

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<v0ln5m$13j7d$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129522&group=uk.d-i-y#129522

From: stuck@home.com (Peter Able)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 15:40:52 +0100
 by: Peter Able - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 14:40 UTC

On 28/04/2024 14:45, Max Demian wrote:
> On 27/04/2024 19:11, Sam Plusnet wrote:

>>> Complain. Tesco handed over £10 when I reported this issue to them.
>>>
>>> Why can't we make anything properly nowadays - other than a mess of
>>> things?
>>
>> You might be happy with your £10, but it solves nothing and is simply
>> their way of saying "Go away and stop bothering us."
>
> Like the customer service practice of refunding if there is something
> the matter with a product - no-one tells the supplier there is something
> wrong, so it isn't corrected unless quality control picks it up.

I've had plenty of experience that contradicts that trenchant opinion -
both in terms of goods and of services.

A good example involved Waitrose. Chicken Kebabs being sold
significantly under-weight. Waitrose came back with "Our supplier has
only been able to source small chickens recently". It came as quite a
surprise to them when I suggested "then put more bits of chicken on the
kebabs" - but that was what happened - and has continued to be the case
ever since.

Mind you, I've gone off Kebabs recently !

PA

PA

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<v0m0r5$15ag6$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129530&group=uk.d-i-y#129530

From: steve@walker-family.me.uk (SteveW)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 18:25:55 +0100
 by: SteveW - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 17:25 UTC

On 28/04/2024 00:58, Andy Burns wrote:
> Graham. wrote:
>
>> Now it seems to be the form-factor that determines what goes in the
>> recycling bin. If it looks lika a bottle it goes in, irrespective of
>> the material.
>
> I see we've been given a four year delay on the "reverse vending
> machine" scheme for plastic bottles and cans ...

Good. For me it is nothing but extra hassle.

We buy a *lot* in plastic bottles (fizzy drinks, fizzy water, milk) -
enough to almost fill a 240l bin every 4 weeks. All end up in our bottle
and can recycling bin, collected 4 weekly by the council or in the
recycling bin at work. Having to gather them up to take with me when
shopping and then feed them into a machine to receive the deposit back,
just means more effort for me and more of my time wasted - for exactly
the same number of bottles returned for recycling.

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<EvwXN.4610$6iD1.2637@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129535&group=uk.d-i-y#129535

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 19:24:35 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 18:24 UTC

On 27-Apr-24 19:20, Max Demian wrote:
> On 27/04/2024 12:47, Graham. wrote:

>>> OP here.  I think it's some sort of green/recycling idea to keep the
>>> top with the bottle when it's thrown away.
>>
>> Exactly the same as the change to the ring-pull beer can that happened
>> decades ago.
>
> That was to protect wildlife.
>>
>> I'm sure our local council (Bury MBC) once advised that bottle caps
>> were not recyclable and should go in the general waste.
>> Now it seems to be the form-factor that determines what goes in the
>> recycling bin. If it looks lika a bottle it goes in, irrespective of
>> the material.
>
> What about bottles with metal caps? Usually there is also a metal collar
> on the neck of the bottle that stays on the bottle, sometimes quite a
> substantial one.

Or the glass bottles which have a plastic cap & pouring spout firmly
embedded in the neck[1]. I would be happy to separate the glass and
plastic if I could, but how can you do it without shedding blood?

[1] I was thinking of Worcestershire Sauce bottles[2] but there are
plenty of others.

[2] Does anyone (in the UK) actually call it anything other than
Worcester Sauce?

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: Non-separating plastic bottle caps - grrrrrr!!!

<uywXN.4611$6iD1.3869@fx09.ams1>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129536&group=uk.d-i-y#129536

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 19:27:38 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 18:27 UTC

On 28-Apr-24 0:54, Andy Burns wrote:
> Chris Green wrote:
>
>> I think it's some sort of green/recycling idea to keep the
>> top with the bottle when it's thrown away.
>
> Normally they'd complain about mixed plastics (the bottle is PET and the
> cap is HDPE).

Cartons of orange juice (etc) are a sort of plastisized card/paper, so
the captive plastic cap on that is even more silly.

--
Sam Plusnet