Forest fires cause Smokey Bears.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Any recommendations for a DMM?

SubjectAuthor
* Any recommendations for a DMM?nothanks
+* Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?Andy Bennett
|`* Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?Alan J. Wylie
| +- Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?Cursitor Doom
| `- Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?nothanks
+* Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?Andy Burns
|+- Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?nothanks
|`* Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?Jon Nicoll
| `- Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?tony sayer
`- Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?Alan J. Wylie

1
Any recommendations for a DMM?

<l91vnuFcfpkU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129419&group=uk.d-i-y#129419

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Any recommendations for a DMM?
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 16:32:14 +0100
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 15:32 UTC

My DMM has been intermittent for a while and I was about to investigate
replacing the on/off switch when I saw how cheap DMMs now were - but
then I saw how many negative reviews there were.
I can't justify Fluke pricing so would appreciate any recommendations
for something worth having that measures: voltage, current, resistance,
and continuity?

Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?

<zQPWN.19969771$ee1.13161362@fx16.ams4>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129420&group=uk.d-i-y#129420

Subject: Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: aben@ben37j.com (Andy Bennett)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 16:34:57 +0100
 by: Andy Bennett - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 15:34 UTC

On 26/04/2024 16:32, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
> My DMM has been intermittent for a while and I was about to investigate
> replacing the on/off switch when I saw how cheap DMMs now were - but
> then I saw how many negative reviews there were.
> I can't justify Fluke pricing so would appreciate any recommendations
> for something worth having that measures: voltage, current, resistance,
> and continuity?

Best bang for buck Uni-T UT61E

Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?

<87ttjo2iz2.fsf@wylie.me.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129424&group=uk.d-i-y#129424

From: alan@wylie.me.uk (Alan J. Wylie)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 17:21:05 +0100
sha1:3kWJ72mZXurkAeZ9MEYA04Y3JvY=
 by: Alan J. Wylie - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 16:21 UTC

Andy Bennett <aben@ben37j.com> writes:

> On 26/04/2024 16:32, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>> My DMM has been intermittent for a while and I was about to
>> investigate replacing the on/off switch when I saw how cheap DMMs
>> now were - but then I saw how many negative reviews there were.
>> I can't justify Fluke pricing so would appreciate any
>> recommendations for something worth having that measures: voltage,
>> current, resistance, and continuity?
>
> Best bang for buck Uni-T UT61E

I'm very happy with my UNI-T UT210E. All the usual, plus AC and DC clamp
meter down to DC mA and a non-contact voltage detector.

https://meters.uni-trend.com/product/ut210-series/

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience

Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?

<m1nn2j5p63dr50267f4m41fg09f8rbub82@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129428&group=uk.d-i-y#129428

From: cd@notformail.com (Cursitor Doom)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 17:59:48 +0100
 by: Cursitor Doom - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 16:59 UTC

On Fri, 26 Apr 2024 17:21:05 +0100, "Alan J. Wylie" <alan@wylie.me.uk>
wrote:

>Andy Bennett <aben@ben37j.com> writes:
>
>> On 26/04/2024 16:32, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>>> My DMM has been intermittent for a while and I was about to
>>> investigate replacing the on/off switch when I saw how cheap DMMs
>>> now were - but then I saw how many negative reviews there were.
>>> I can't justify Fluke pricing so would appreciate any
>>> recommendations for something worth having that measures: voltage,
>>> current, resistance, and continuity?
>>
>> Best bang for buck Uni-T UT61E
>
>I'm very happy with my UNI-T UT210E. All the usual, plus AC and DC clamp
>meter down to DC mA and a non-contact voltage detector.
>
>https://meters.uni-trend.com/product/ut210-series/

Multimeters coming out of my ears here, but the two go-to ones I use
almost exclusively are:

Megger DCM330 and
UNI-TUT60E

The Megger does the higher voltage/high current stuff and the UNI-T is
for general electronics and low volts circuits (under 100VDC/AC). No
reason why it shouldn't be fine for mains - other than a review I saw
Squeaky Dave of EEVblog do on it, criticisizing its HV input
protection provision. But apart from that, he couldn't really find a
thing wrong with it and neither have I (had it in regular use for
several years now).

Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?

<l926dcFd7ijU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129431&group=uk.d-i-y#129431

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 18:26:04 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 17:26 UTC

nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:

> My DMM has been intermittent for a while and I was about to investigate
> replacing the on/off switch when I saw how cheap DMMs now were - but
> then I saw how many negative reviews there were.
> I can't justify Fluke pricing so would appreciate any recommendations
> for something worth having that measures: voltage, current, resistance,
> and continuity?

I have a Brymen 789, it has a loZ mode that isn't prone to showing stray
mains voltage via capacitive coupling, the bar-graph display is quick
and responsive, nice silicone leads

<https://telonic.co.uk/product/brymen-bm789-professional-multimeter>

Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?

<l927iuFcfpkU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129434&group=uk.d-i-y#129434

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 18:46:06 +0100
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 17:46 UTC

On 26/04/2024 17:21, Alan J. Wylie wrote:
> Andy Bennett <aben@ben37j.com> writes:
>
>> On 26/04/2024 16:32, nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>>> My DMM has been intermittent for a while and I was about to
>>> investigate replacing the on/off switch when I saw how cheap DMMs
>>> now were - but then I saw how many negative reviews there were.
>>> I can't justify Fluke pricing so would appreciate any
>>> recommendations for something worth having that measures: voltage,
>>> current, resistance, and continuity?
>>
>> Best bang for buck Uni-T UT61E
>
> I'm very happy with my UNI-T UT210E. All the usual, plus AC and DC clamp
> meter down to DC mA and a non-contact voltage detector.
>
> https://meters.uni-trend.com/product/ut210-series/

Thanks. Both of those look interesting (and my ancient DMM is a UNI-T
UC50C) but have slightly mixed reviews.
I've been wondering about the Di-Log range, but haven't found many
reviews yet.

Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?

<l928n2Fdtg9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129435&group=uk.d-i-y#129435

From: nothanks@aolbin.com
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:05:22 +0100
 by: nothanks@aolbin.com - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 18:05 UTC

On 26/04/2024 18:26, Andy Burns wrote:
> nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>
>> My DMM has been intermittent for a while and I was about to
>> investigate replacing the on/off switch when I saw how cheap DMMs now
>> were - but then I saw how many negative reviews there were.
>> I can't justify Fluke pricing so would appreciate any recommendations
>> for something worth having that measures: voltage, current,
>> resistance, and continuity?
>
> I have a Brymen 789, it has a loZ mode that isn't prone to showing stray
> mains voltage via capacitive coupling, the bar-graph display is quick
> and responsive, nice silicone leads
>
> <https://telonic.co.uk/product/brymen-bm789-professional-multimeter>
That looks very good, but that's at the top end of what I'm prepared to
spend

Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?

<87mspg2b3y.fsf@wylie.me.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129439&group=uk.d-i-y#129439

From: alan@wylie.me.uk (Alan J. Wylie)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2024 20:10:57 +0100
sha1:zhOH5LPVetd4XDzPM7fHx+o3jRU=
 by: Alan J. Wylie - Fri, 26 Apr 2024 19:10 UTC

nothanks@aolbin.com writes:

> I can't justify Fluke pricing so would appreciate any recommendations
> for something worth having that measures: voltage, current,
> resistance, and continuity?

Perhaps Amprobe - they are a division of Fluke.

https://www.amprobe.com/about-us/

--
Alan J. Wylie https://www.wylie.me.uk/

Dance like no-one's watching. / Encrypt like everyone is.
Security is inversely proportional to convenience

Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?

<v0orv5$1u0hf$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129564&group=uk.d-i-y#129564

From: jkn+es@nicorp.co.uk (Jon Nicoll)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 20:21:09 +0100
 by: Jon Nicoll - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 19:21 UTC

On 26/04/2024 18:26, Andy Burns wrote:
> nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>
>> My DMM has been intermittent for a while and I was about to
>> investigate replacing the on/off switch when I saw how cheap DMMs now
>> were - but then I saw how many negative reviews there were.
>> I can't justify Fluke pricing so would appreciate any recommendations
>> for something worth having that measures: voltage, current,
>> resistance, and continuity?
>
> I have a Brymen 789, it has a loZ mode that isn't prone to showing stray
> mains voltage via capacitive coupling, the bar-graph display is quick
> and responsive, nice silicone leads
>
> <https://telonic.co.uk/product/brymen-bm789-professional-multimeter>

I have the Brymen BM867s

https://telonic.co.uk/product/brymen-bm867s-professional-multimeter/

It's a bit excessive for my needs, and my old Maplin 'Precision Gold'
DMM is still trundling along ... I bought it for a bit of retail therapy
during lockdown, along with a digital 'scope

Re: Any recommendations for a DMM?

<ce2UpaBS1AMmFwhp@bancom.co.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129575&group=uk.d-i-y#129575

From: tony@bancom.co.uk (tony sayer)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2024 22:12:50 +0100
 by: tony sayer - Mon, 29 Apr 2024 21:12 UTC

In article <v0orv5$1u0hf$1@dont-email.me>, Jon Nicoll
<jkn+es@nicorp.co.uk> scribeth thus
>On 26/04/2024 18:26, Andy Burns wrote:
>> nothanks@aolbin.com wrote:
>>
>>> My DMM has been intermittent for a while and I was about to
>>> investigate replacing the on/off switch when I saw how cheap DMMs now
>>> were - but then I saw how many negative reviews there were.
>>> I can't justify Fluke pricing so would appreciate any recommendations
>>> for something worth having that measures: voltage, current,
>>> resistance, and continuity?
>>
>> I have a Brymen 789, it has a loZ mode that isn't prone to showing stray
>> mains voltage via capacitive coupling, the bar-graph display is quick
>> and responsive, nice silicone leads
>>
>> <https://telonic.co.uk/product/brymen-bm789-professional-multimeter>
>
>I have the Brymen BM867s
>
>https://telonic.co.uk/product/brymen-bm867s-professional-multimeter/