The Unixverse ends on Tue, 19 Jan 2038 03:14:07 +0000

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?

SubjectAuthor
* Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?Simon Ferrol
+* Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?Jeff Gaines
|+* Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?Colin Bignell
||`- Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?Andrew
|`- Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?The Natural Philosopher
+* Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?Soup
|`- Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?RJH
+* Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?Theo
|`- Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?The Natural Philosopher
`- Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?Tim Streater

1
Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?

<v086s3$1jisq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129253&group=uk.d-i-y#129253

From: simon.ferrol@englandmail.com (Simon Ferrol)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:42:59 +0100
 by: Simon Ferrol - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:42 UTC

As reported earlier, last winter I put cheap bubble wrap all over my
windows as a poor man way of protecting myself from freezing, and it worked.

I used clear cello tape (large size, the one used for packing) and I
tried very carefully to tear it off but a lot of marks on the glass have
remained and pieces of tape have remained on the window frame (I can't
tell if the frame is actually metal or hard plastic).

Questions:

1) How do I remove the tape marks from the glass?

2) How do I remove the bits and pieces of tape from the frame without
ruining the frame (it's a council flat and at one point I'll have to
return it back to the Council)

3) What kind of tape can I use next winter to prevent this from
happening again?

SF

Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?

<xn0okwy1gijisbb00n@news.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129255&group=uk.d-i-y#129255

From: jgnewsid@outlook.com (Jeff Gaines)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?
Date: 23 Apr 2024 12:02:41 GMT
 by: Jeff Gaines - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:02 UTC

On 23/04/2024 in message <v086s3$1jisq$1@dont-email.me> Simon Ferrol wrote:

>As reported earlier, last winter I put cheap bubble wrap all over my
>windows as a poor man way of protecting myself from freezing, and it
>worked.
>
>I used clear cello tape (large size, the one used for packing) and I tried
>very carefully to tear it off but a lot of marks on the glass have
>remained and pieces of tape have remained on the window frame (I can't
>tell if the frame is actually metal or hard plastic).
>
>Questions:
>
>1) How do I remove the tape marks from the glass?

Scraper that takes a Stanley blade + Isopropyl Alcohol.

>2) How do I remove the bits and pieces of tape from the frame without
>ruining the frame (it's a council flat and at one point I'll have to
>return it back to the Council)

Isopropyl Alcohol, test small area first.

>3) What kind of tape can I use next winter to prevent this from happening
>again?

Would masking tape be up to the job?

--
Jeff Gaines Dorset UK
By the time you can make ends meet they move the ends

Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?

<v088nu$1k3cd$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129256&group=uk.d-i-y#129256

From: cheez2011@gmail.com (Soup)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 13:14:53 +0100
 by: Soup - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:14 UTC

On 23/04/2024 12:42, Simon Ferrol wrote:
> As reported earlier, last winter I put cheap bubble wrap all over my
> windows as a poor man way of protecting myself from freezing, and it
> worked.
>
> I used clear cello tape (large size, the one used for packing) and I
> tried very carefully to tear it off but a lot of marks on the glass have
> remained and pieces of tape have remained on the window frame (I can't
> tell if the frame is actually metal or hard plastic).
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) How do I remove the tape marks from the glass?

Goo-gone to remove the marks:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39-D_SUMnQc

Apparently WD-40 works as well but I have never tried it.:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=tgSkf1v6Z_s

I suppose what you use will depend on what you have lying about if you
do not want to buy special:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Az7jIYCpYVE

> 2) How do I remove the bits and pieces of tape from the frame without
> ruining the frame (it's a council flat and at one point I'll have to
> return it back to the Council)

Tape pices should be able to be picked of the frame if metal or hard
plastic (I would worry about the paint if wooden) .

Given the state some houses are returned to the coucil in, I would not
worry too much about a few tape marks.

> 3) What kind of tape can I use next winter to prevent this from
> happening again?

Low-tack masking tape, if that is not strong enough you will probably
just have to resign yourself to having this faff on a yearly basis.

Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?

<v089dh$1k850$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129258&group=uk.d-i-y#129258

From: patchmoney@gmx.com (RJH)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:26:25 -0000 (UTC)
 by: RJH - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:26 UTC

On 23 Apr 2024 at 13:14:53 BST, Soup wrote:

>> 3) What kind of tape can I use next winter to prevent this from
>> happening again?
>
> Low-tack masking tape, if that is not strong enough you will probably
> just have to resign yourself to having this faff on a yearly basis.

I gather gaffer tape is best for low residue . . .

--
Cheers, Rob, Sheffield UK

Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?

<726dnQDhBPo6O7r7nZ2dnZeNn_SdnZ2d@giganews.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129259&group=uk.d-i-y#129259

Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 13:17:11 +0100
From: cpb@bignellREMOVETHIS.me.uk (Colin Bignell)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
 by: Colin Bignell - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:17 UTC

On 23/04/2024 13:02, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 23/04/2024 in message <v086s3$1jisq$1@dont-email.me> Simon Ferrol wrote:
>
>> As reported earlier, last winter I put cheap bubble wrap all over my
>> windows as a poor man way of protecting myself from freezing, and it
>> worked.
>>
>> I used clear cello tape (large size, the one used for packing) and I
>> tried very carefully to tear it off but a lot of marks on the glass
>> have remained and pieces of tape have remained on the window frame (I
>> can't tell if the frame is actually metal or hard plastic).
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1) How do I remove the tape marks from the glass?
>
> Scraper that takes a Stanley blade + Isopropyl Alcohol.
>

>> 2) How do I remove the bits and pieces of tape from the frame without
>> ruining the frame (it's a council flat and at one point I'll have to
>> return it back to the Council)
>
> Isopropyl Alcohol, test small area first.
>

>> 3) What kind of tape can I use next winter to prevent this from
>> happening again?
>
> Would masking tape be up to the job?

That can also leave adhesive behind if it is left in place for too long.

--
Colin Bignell

Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?

<v089vk$1kb18$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129260&group=uk.d-i-y#129260

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 13:36:04 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:36 UTC

On 23/04/2024 13:02, Jeff Gaines wrote:
> On 23/04/2024 in message <v086s3$1jisq$1@dont-email.me> Simon Ferrol wrote:
>
>> As reported earlier, last winter I put cheap bubble wrap all over my
>> windows as a poor man way of protecting myself from freezing, and it
>> worked.
>>
>> I used clear cello tape (large size, the one used for packing) and I
>> tried very carefully to tear it off but a lot of marks on the glass
>> have remained and pieces of tape have remained on the window frame (I
>> can't tell if the frame is actually metal or hard plastic).
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1) How do I remove the tape marks from the glass?
>
> Scraper that takes a Stanley blade + Isopropyl Alcohol.
>

>> 2) How do I remove the bits and pieces of tape from the frame without
>> ruining the frame (it's a council flat and at one point I'll have to
>> return it back to the Council)
>
> Isopropyl Alcohol, test small area first.

If IPA doesn't work, have stronger solvents like MEK, acetone or ethyl
acetate on tap.

>> 3) What kind of tape can I use next winter to prevent this from
>> happening again?
>
> Would masking tape be up to the job?

any tape is likely to leave a residue

private property.

Karl Marx

Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?

<xmx*oUEIz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129261&group=uk.d-i-y#129261

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Apr 2024 13:48:59 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:48 UTC

Simon Ferrol <simon.ferrol@englandmail.com> wrote:
> As reported earlier, last winter I put cheap bubble wrap all over my
> windows as a poor man way of protecting myself from freezing, and it worked.
>
> I used clear cello tape (large size, the one used for packing) and I
> tried very carefully to tear it off but a lot of marks on the glass have
> remained and pieces of tape have remained on the window frame (I can't
> tell if the frame is actually metal or hard plastic).
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) How do I remove the tape marks from the glass?

If they are dried, isopropyl alcohol.

If they are sticky (or dried and you don't have IPA) try neat cooking oil
and scrub with a toothbrush or similar. Once the stain has come off the
surface, scrub with neat washing up liquid and then water to wash off the
oil.

> 2) How do I remove the bits and pieces of tape from the frame without
> ruining the frame (it's a council flat and at one point I'll have to
> return it back to the Council)

If it's metal or plastic, the same will work. Try it on an inconspicuous
area just in case it stains, but I doubt it will. I wouldn't use them on a
painted, varnished or wooden frame.

For the remaining tape, peel off the bits and treat as above. It may be
that scrubbing with IPA will cause them to come off if they're tightly
stuck - it needs to get underneath the tape.

> 3) What kind of tape can I use next winter to prevent this from
> happening again?

Not sure - while you can get low-residue tapes, they made be made worse
(either sticky or fall off) by UV.

You could also put some self-adhesive velcro up which you leave there all
year - put the opposite velcro on your bubble wrap, and then you can put it
up and take it down as many times as you like.

(the velcro often has pretty tough adhesive that needs a lot of IPA to shift
when finally needing to be removed - it took a lot to remove a whole patio
door worth, but I did it eventually)

Theo

Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?

<v08bc6$1kkkj$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129262&group=uk.d-i-y#129262

From: tnp@invalid.invalid (The Natural Philosopher)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 13:59:50 +0100
 by: The Natural Philosop - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 12:59 UTC

On 23/04/2024 13:48, Theo wrote:

> You could also put some self-adhesive velcro up which you leave there all
> year - put the opposite velcro on your bubble wrap, and then you can put it
> up and take it down as many times as you like.
>
> (the velcro often has pretty tough adhesive that needs a lot of IPA to shift
> when finally needing to be removed - it took a lot to remove a whole patio
> door worth, but I did it eventually)
>
> Theo

Another possibility is to glue some thin steel strips to the frames and
use magnets...

--
It is the folly of too many to mistake the echo of a London coffee-house
for the voice of the kingdom.

Jonathan Swift

Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?

<v0ah7h$27o7h$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129311&group=uk.d-i-y#129311

From: Andrew97d@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 09:52:01 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 08:52 UTC

On 23/04/2024 13:17, Colin Bignell wrote:
> On 23/04/2024 13:02, Jeff Gaines wrote:
>> On 23/04/2024 in message <v086s3$1jisq$1@dont-email.me> Simon Ferrol
>> wrote:
>>
>>> As reported earlier, last winter I put cheap bubble wrap all over my
>>> windows as a poor man way of protecting myself from freezing, and it
>>> worked.
>>>
>>> I used clear cello tape (large size, the one used for packing) and I
>>> tried very carefully to tear it off but a lot of marks on the glass
>>> have remained and pieces of tape have remained on the window frame (I
>>> can't tell if the frame is actually metal or hard plastic).
>>>
>>> Questions:
>>>
>>> 1) How do I remove the tape marks from the glass?
>>
>> Scraper that takes a Stanley blade + Isopropyl Alcohol.
>>

>>> 2) How do I remove the bits and pieces of tape from the frame without
>>> ruining the frame (it's a council flat and at one point I'll have to
>>> return it back to the Council)
>>
>> Isopropyl Alcohol, test small area first.
>>

>>> 3) What kind of tape can I use next winter to prevent this from
>>> happening again?
>>
>> Would masking tape be up to the job?
>
> That can also leave adhesive behind if it is left in place for too long.

Not if you use the more-expensive blue variety

Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?

<l8s8edFgnnoU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129321&group=uk.d-i-y#129321

From: tim@streater.me.uk (Tim Streater)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 24 Apr 2024 11:23:57 GMT
 by: Tim Streater - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 11:23 UTC

On 23 Apr 2024 at 12:42:59 BST, "Simon Ferrol" <simon.ferrol@englandmail.com>
wrote:

> I used clear cello tape ...

Did you use that for taping the score to your cello? Didn't they supply you
with a music stand?

--
What you must understand is that, for today's left intellectuals, education is useful only to the extent that it endorses their prejudices. Beyond that, they refuse to go.

Roger Scruton

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Remove nasty cello tape marks from window?