From: timdownieuk@yahoo.co.youkay (Tim+)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Fohen water heater. First impressions
Date: 23 Apr 2024 21:14:54 GMT
 by: Tim+ - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 21:14 UTC

Bought as a cheaper alternative to a Quooker and based on first impressions
I’m not disappointed.

Construction *looks* good. Instructions could be better as the tap and its
tails needs a bit of pre-assembly and it’s not really that obvious from the
instructions what needs to be done and in what order. Get it wrong and
you’ll be disassembling it to try and get the tails and their ½” BSP
connections through the various tubes and fitments in the right order.

The tails are only twisted up hand tight via torque applied through
flexible tails which is slightly anxiety provoking but there’s no way of
using any tool to tighten them more fully. I did construct special cranked
spanner to see if I could tighten the tails more but access is just too
tight.

No leaks though so perhaps I’m worrying unnecessarily.

Acid test, despite *only* running at 98°C it seems to make a satisfactory
cup of tea, but then I’m not a tea snob. A bag in a mug is good enough for
me.

I’ve put a power monitoring plug on it so I should be able to report power
consumption after a few days but clearly that’s gonna vary quite a lot with
usage. Heat leakage feels low based on placing a hand on the tank.

Have to say already enjoying the convenience of NOT filling a kettle etc.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Re: Fohen water heater. First impressions

<v0ag7j$27iog$2@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129308&group=uk.d-i-y#129308

From: Andrew97d@btinternet.com (Andrew)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Fohen water heater. First impressions
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2024 09:34:59 +0100
 by: Andrew - Wed, 24 Apr 2024 08:34 UTC

On 23/04/2024 22:14, Tim+ wrote:
> Bought as a cheaper alternative to a Quooker and based on first impressions
> I’m not disappointed.
>
> Construction *looks* good. Instructions could be better as the tap and its
> tails needs a bit of pre-assembly and it’s not really that obvious from the
> instructions what needs to be done and in what order. Get it wrong and
> you’ll be disassembling it to try and get the tails and their ½” BSP
> connections through the various tubes and fitments in the right order.
>
> The tails are only twisted up hand tight via torque applied through
> flexible tails which is slightly anxiety provoking but there’s no way of
> using any tool to tighten them more fully. I did construct special cranked
> spanner to see if I could tighten the tails more but access is just too
> tight.
>
> No leaks though so perhaps I’m worrying unnecessarily.
>
> Acid test, despite *only* running at 98°C it seems to make a satisfactory
> cup of tea, but then I’m not a tea snob. A bag in a mug is good enough for
> me.
>
> I’ve put a power monitoring plug on it so I should be able to report power
> consumption after a few days but clearly that’s gonna vary quite a lot with
> usage. Heat leakage feels low based on placing a hand on the tank.
>
> Have to say already enjoying the convenience of NOT filling a kettle etc.
>
> Tim

You mean you don't use a Brita water filter jug then ? :-)

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Fohen water heater. First impressions