While money doesn't buy love, it puts you in a great bargaining position.

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?

SubjectAuthor
* Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?Steve
+* Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?Andy Burns
|+- Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?alan_m
|`* Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?Smolley
| `- Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?Andy Burns
+* Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?Spike
|`* Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?Theo
| `- Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?Clive Arthur
`* Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?Steve
 `* Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?Peter Johnson
  `- Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?#Paul

1
Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?

<v081tl$1ih95$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129244&group=uk.d-i-y#129244

From: none@wanted.com (Steve)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:18:28 +0100
 by: Steve - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:18 UTC

How do I get rid of (or preferably stop them getting in in the first
place) woodlice and centipedes?

A shuffle round of furniture means that we can put our 3-seater
recliner sofa/settee in the conservatory and I don't want bugs getting
in there and breeding/nesting/whatever.

Secondly, I have a phobia about these things so I'm not averse to
killing them off rather than just preventing them getting in. Phobias
are irrational and I can't explain it, but the way I see it is that I
have to get them before they get me, so let's not get bogged down in
the moral/ethical thing of killing stuff. This has been a 66-year
phobia so I'm not going to change now.

Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?

<l8phdeF46vvU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129247&group=uk.d-i-y#129247

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:38:37 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:38 UTC

Steve wrote:

> How do I get rid of (or preferably stop them getting in in the first
> place) woodlice

Woodlice tend to go anywhere that's a bit damp

> and centipedes?

Don't get many of them ...

Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?

<l8pieeF4a1bU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129249&group=uk.d-i-y#129249

From: junk@admac.myzen.co.uk (alan_m)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:56:14 +0100
 by: alan_m - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:56 UTC

On 23/04/2024 11:38, Andy Burns wrote:
> Steve wrote:
>
>> How do I get rid of (or preferably stop them getting in in the first
>> place) woodlice
>
> Woodlice tend to go anywhere that's a bit damp

and where there is rotting vegetation as that is what they feed on. Get
rid of the dead leaves and other detritus from around the perimeter of
your property and you shouldn't get the problem. Also move any plant
pots etc. away from doorways but having said that I have lot of potted
plants up against my external walls and if I move the pots there will be
hundreds of woodlice BUT they never come inside my house.

>> and centipedes?
>
> Don't get many of them ...

+1
Never seen one in my house. I've seen quite a few when gardening.

Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?

<l8pj97F4fo9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129251&group=uk.d-i-y#129251

From: aero.spike@mail.com (Spike)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Apr 2024 11:10:31 GMT
 by: Spike - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:10 UTC

Steve <none@wanted.com> wrote:

> How do I get rid of (or preferably stop them getting in in the first
> place) woodlice and centipedes?

> A shuffle round of furniture means that we can put our 3-seater
> recliner sofa/settee in the conservatory and I don't want bugs getting
> in there and breeding/nesting/whatever.

> Secondly, I have a phobia about these things so I'm not averse to
> killing them off rather than just preventing them getting in. Phobias
> are irrational and I can't explain it, but the way I see it is that I
> have to get them before they get me, so let's not get bogged down in
> the moral/ethical thing of killing stuff. This has been a 66-year
> phobia so I'm not going to change now.

Try an ultrasonic pest repellent, as well as following the other advice?

--
Spike

Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?

<v08ei9$1lesh$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129263&group=uk.d-i-y#129263

From: none@wanted.com (Steve)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 14:54:16 +0100
 by: Steve - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 13:54 UTC

Steve submitted this idea :
> How do I get rid of (or preferably stop them getting in in the first place)
> woodlice and centipedes?
>
> A shuffle round of furniture means that we can put our 3-seater recliner
> sofa/settee in the conservatory and I don't want bugs getting in there and
> breeding/nesting/whatever.
>
> Secondly, I have a phobia about these things so I'm not averse to killing
> them off rather than just preventing them getting in. Phobias are irrational
> and I can't explain it, but the way I see it is that I have to get them
> before they get me, so let's not get bogged down in the moral/ethical thing
> of killing stuff. This has been a 66-year phobia so I'm not going to change
> now.

Thanks Andy, Alan and Spike, will do.

Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?

<umx*vcFIz@news.chiark.greenend.org.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129266&group=uk.d-i-y#129266

From: theom+news@chiark.greenend.org.uk (Theo)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: 23 Apr 2024 15:14:44 +0100 (BST)
 by: Theo - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 14:14 UTC

Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:
> Try an ultrasonic pest repellent, as well as following the other advice?

Can woodlice and centipedes hear or sense audio?

Theo

Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?

<v08g60$1lobb$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129267&group=uk.d-i-y#129267

From: clive@nowaytoday.co.uk (Clive Arthur)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 15:21:51 +0100
 by: Clive Arthur - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 14:21 UTC

On 23/04/2024 15:14, Theo wrote:
> Spike <aero.spike@mail.com> wrote:
>> Try an ultrasonic pest repellent, as well as following the other advice?
>
> Can woodlice and centipedes hear or sense audio?
>
> Theo

Of course!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyirMCPjgYM

In fact, woodlice (cheeselogs) are crustaceans.

--
Cheers
Clive

Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?

<nekf2jp0svde5fpd95j2rd04dt29gernsi@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129270&group=uk.d-i-y#129270

From: peter@parksidewood.nospam (Peter Johnson)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 16:25:49 +0100
 by: Peter Johnson - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 15:25 UTC

On Tue, 23 Apr 2024 14:54:16 +0100, Steve <none@wanted.com> wrote:

>Steve submitted this idea :
>> How do I get rid of (or preferably stop them getting in in the first place)
>> woodlice and centipedes?
>>
>> A shuffle round of furniture means that we can put our 3-seater recliner
>> sofa/settee in the conservatory and I don't want bugs getting in there and
>> breeding/nesting/whatever.
>>
>> Secondly, I have a phobia about these things so I'm not averse to killing
>> them off rather than just preventing them getting in. Phobias are irrational
>> and I can't explain it, but the way I see it is that I have to get them
>> before they get me, so let's not get bogged down in the moral/ethical thing
>> of killing stuff. This has been a 66-year phobia so I'm not going to change
>> now.
>
>Thanks Andy, Alan and Spike, will do.

Make sure also that there are no holes in the mortar joints in your
external brickwork. I used to see centipedes in my house, and ants
leter, that I tracked down to a failed mortar joint - they were
getting into the cavity there and emerging through the livibg room gas
fire. Sealed the joints and, after a few months, the problem was
solved.

Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?

<v08uh8$1otp0$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129280&group=uk.d-i-y#129280

From: me@rest.uk (Smolley)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:26:48 -0000 (UTC)
 by: Smolley - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:26 UTC

On Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:38:37 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

> Steve wrote:
>
>> How do I get rid of (or preferably stop them getting in in the first
>> place) woodlice
>
> Woodlice tend to go anywhere that's a bit damp
>
>> and centipedes?
>
> Don't get many of them ...

........and silverfish.

Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?

<l8qcu9F843mU1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129281&group=uk.d-i-y#129281

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 19:28:22 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:28 UTC

Smolley wrote:

> .......and silverfish.

Not seen those for ages ... probably back to student hovels.

Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?

<brjlfkxnsm.ln2@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129300&group=uk.d-i-y#129300

From: news20k.noreply@threeformcow.myzen.co.uk (#Paul)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 21:55:39 +0100
Sender: Paul Kinsler <kinsler@silence.kinsler.org>
 by: #Paul - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 20:55 UTC

Peter Johnson <peter@parksidewood.nospam> wrote:
> I used to see centipedes in my house, ...

I found one of these in my house, once upon a time:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cormocephalus_rubriceps

#Paul

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / Re: Bugs and creepy crawlies - how to get rid?