Slowly and surely the unix crept up on the Nintendo user ...

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oil

SubjectAuthor
* OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oilleenowell
+* Re: OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oilAndy Burns
|`- Re: OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oilSam Plusnet
`* Re: OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oilleenowell
 `- Re: OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oilAndy Burns

1
OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oil

<96c0396a5bd35bdea79f2c410a2a7e0d@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129209&group=uk.d-i-y#129209

From: leenowell@yahoo.co.uk (leenowell)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oil
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:06:35 +0000
 by: leenowell - Mon, 22 Apr 2024 16:06 UTC

Hi all,

I have some cedar outside which I am looking to protect but keep the natural colour. I have previously treated it with Linseed oil but after 6 months it is looking grey. So plan is to sand it back and go again.

Looking online, some people are saying that OSMO uv-protection oil is much better although others say not. Does anyone have any experience of it and whether it is better than Danish oil or Linseed oil? I guess my key criteria is how long it will last before needing to be redone.

Many thanks

Lee.

Re: OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oil

<l8pi93F46vvU2@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129248&group=uk.d-i-y#129248

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Subject: Re: OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oil
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 11:53:21 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 10:53 UTC

leenowell wrote:
> I have some cedar outside which I am looking to protect but keep the
> natural colour. I have previously treated it with Linseed oil but after
> 6 months it is looking grey.  So plan is to sand it back and go again.
> Looking online, some people are saying that OSMO uv-protection oil is
> much better although others say not. Does anyone have any experience of
> it and whether it is better than Danish oil or Linseed oil? I guess my
> key criteria is how long it will last before needing to be redone.
I thought the point of Cedar was that other than going silver/grey, it
survives well outdoors without constant sanding/finishing?

Re: OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oil

<2nTVN.3081$jcJc.1999@fx42.iad>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=129284&group=uk.d-i-y#129284

Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
From: not@home.com (Sam Plusnet)
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2024 19:47:26 +0100
 by: Sam Plusnet - Tue, 23 Apr 2024 18:47 UTC

On 23-Apr-24 11:53, Andy Burns wrote:
> leenowell wrote:
>
>> I have some cedar outside which I am looking to protect but keep the
>> natural colour. I have previously treated it with Linseed oil but
>> after 6 months it is looking grey.  So plan is to sand it back and go
>> again.
>> Looking online, some people are saying that OSMO uv-protection oil is
>> much better although others say not. Does anyone have any experience
>> of it and whether it is better than Danish oil or Linseed oil? I guess
>> my key criteria is how long it will last before needing to be redone.
>
> I thought the point of Cedar was that other than going silver/grey, it
> survives well outdoors without constant sanding/finishing?

True.
After some exposure, silver/grey _is_ its natural colour. Any treatment
is just a way of applying unnatural colour (just don't paint it!).

--
Sam Plusnet

Re: OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oil

<5dbff081fcd6a05705c523a251a62daa@www.novabbs.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=130504&group=uk.d-i-y#130504

From: leenowell@yahoo.co.uk (leenowell)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 9 May 2024 12:01:57 +0000
 by: leenowell - Thu, 9 May 2024 12:01 UTC

In case it helps others. I got a sample of the OSMO and tested it on a piece of cedar against the linseed oil. They looked very similar but the OSMO seemed to be much more water resistant as water just run off it. Decided to go with the OSMO. Looks lovely on the cedar at the moment. Let's see how long it lasts.

Re: OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oil

<la420mFgei9U1@mid.individual.net>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/aus+uk/article-flat.php?id=130510&group=uk.d-i-y#130510

From: usenet@andyburns.uk (Andy Burns)
Newsgroups: uk.d-i-y
Date: Thu, 9 May 2024 14:39:33 +0100
 by: Andy Burns - Thu, 9 May 2024 13:39 UTC

leenowell wrote:
> In case it helps others.  I got a sample of the OSMO and tested it on a
> piece of cedar against the linseed oil.  They looked very similar but
> the OSMO seemed to be much more water resistant as water just run off
> it.  Decided to go with the OSMO. Looks lovely on the cedar at the
> moment. Let's see how long it lasts.
I've told myself I will allow mine to go silver/grey rather than have a
future with lots of re-sanding/re-finishing in store ...

aus+uk / uk.d-i-y / OSMO V Linseed oil v Danish oil