From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Subject: Survivor host Jeff Probst says season 50 will be all returning
players
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 21:53:23 -0600
 by: Brian Smith - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 03:53 UTC

Survivor host Jeff Probst says season 50 will be all returning players

Start your dream casting now.

By Dalton Ross

Published on April 27, 2024 11:32PM EDT

Jeff Probst recently told Entertainment Weekly that they did not yet
have a plan in place for the landmark fiftieth season of Survivor. Well,
those plans are now rapidly forming.

During a Survivor Q&A event with EW Editor-in-Chief Patrick Gomez on
Saturday night at the Ovation Hollywood complex in Los Angeles, Probst
announced that Survivor 50 (which will be begin filming around Memorial
day of 2025 to air in the spring of 2026) will indeed feature all
returning players.

“I just got an idea," said the host and showrunner near the conclusion
of the event. “Survivor 50 is coming down the corner. The truth is, we
really do focus on 47 and 48, that’s what we’re heading out to shoot
next, and then we have to shoot 49. But we know 50 is coming, so I am
curious, is there a feeling, should 50 be another season with new
players and don’t make it a big deal?”

After the audience yelled out no, Probst asked “Or should it be
returning players?”

After getting a positive response to that option, Probst announced, “In
the spirit of, sometimes letting the game be in the hands of the fans, I
feel like — and there a couple of people from CBS right now going ‘Oh my
God, what is happening?’ — I feel like we should just commit and make
this the moment where we decide that Survivor 50 will be retuning
players. I don’t know what is going to happen after this, but I’m pretty
sure we’re committed.”

If you don’t include Bruce Perreault — who was more of a do-over as
opposed to a returning player because he got injured just minutes into
his first season — Survivor (which is currently airing Survivor 46 on
CBS) is already in the longest stretch of all newbie seasons since the
show first started bringing players back with Survivor: All-Stars in
season 8. There have been no returning all-stars in the entire new era
that began with Survivor 41. And the host already told EW that there
would be no returning players in season 47 or 48 either. It now seems
that Survivor 49 will also be all new players.

While Probst has officially confirmed the speculation that Survivor 50
(like 40 and 20 before it) will be all returnees, he did not mention
what the particular theme might be, although viewers have certainly
talked about many options, including another fan-voted Second Chance, an
Old Era vs. New Era battle, or a season full of runner-ups (after season
40 was all winners).

It will be a while before the theme for season 50 is revealed, but fans
can now continue to dream cast what could end up being the franchise’s
biggest season ever.

Source: https://ew.com/survivor-50-jeff-probst-all-returning-players-8640105

--
Brian

Re: Survivor host Jeff Probst says season 50 will be all returning players

<v0ki7a$rtkl$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/arts/article-flat.php?id=1688&group=alt.tv.survivor#1688

From: rick@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Subject: Re: Survivor host Jeff Probst says season 50 will be all returning players
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 00:10:16 -0400
 by: Rick - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 04:10 UTC

"Brian Smith" wrote in message news:v0kh7k$rlan$1@dont-email.me...

> [...]
>no returning all-stars in the entire new era that began with Survivor 41.
>And the host already told EW that there would be no returning players in
>season 47 or 48 either. It now seems that Survivor 49 will also be all new
>players.
>
>While Probst has officially confirmed the speculation that Survivor 50
>(like 40 and 20 before it) will be all returnees, he did not mention what
>the particular theme might be, although viewers have certainly talked about
>many options, including another fan-voted Second Chance, an Old Era vs. New
>Era battle, or a season full of runner-ups (after season 40 was all
>winners).
>
>It will be a while before the theme for season 50 is revealed, but fans can
>now continue to dream cast what could end up being the franchise’s biggest

Maybe the simplest approach would be to simply have the fans vote for the
players they most want to see return and take the highest 18 or 20
vote-getters. Put no restrictions on it - players who won, players who
won twice, runners-up, first boots, new era, old era, anything you want.
Might be the simplest, cleanest approach.

--

Re: Survivor host Jeff Probst says season 50 will be all returning players

<v0kijb$rlal$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/arts/article-flat.php?id=1689&group=alt.tv.survivor#1689

From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
players
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2024 22:16:43 -0600
 by: Brian Smith - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 04:16 UTC

On 4/27/2024 10:10 PM, Rick wrote:
> [...]
>> what the particular theme might be, although viewers have certainly
>> talked about many options, including another fan-voted Second Chance,
>> an Old Era vs. New Era battle, or a season full of runner-ups (after
>> season 40 was all winners).
>>
>> It will be a while before the theme for season 50 is revealed, but
>> fans can now continue to dream cast what could end up being the
>> franchise’s biggest season ever.
>>
>> Source:
>> https://ew.com/survivor-50-jeff-probst-all-returning-players-8640105
>>

> Maybe the simplest approach would be to simply have the fans vote for
> the players they most want to see return and take the highest 18 or 20
> vote-getters.   Put no restrictions on it -  players who won, players
> who won twice, runners-up, first boots, new era, old era, anything you
> want. Might be the simplest, cleanest approach.

Here's an IG post from Jeff. There's no question in my mind that a vote
will be involved. It'll probably be like the last one where the show
will give us say 40 people to choose from and we get to vote for a
certain number and they'll choose some.

https://www.instagram.com/p/C6SheDqLLVy/

--
Brian

Re: Survivor host Jeff Probst says season 50 will be all returning players

<v0lnsg$13o6i$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/arts/article-flat.php?id=1692&group=alt.tv.survivor#1692

From: rick@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 10:53:02 -0400
 by: Rick - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 14:53 UTC

"Brian Smith" wrote in message news:v0kijb$rlal$1@dont-email.me...

> [...]
>>> 40 was all winners).
>>>
>>> It will be a while before the theme for season 50 is revealed, but fans
>>> can now continue to dream cast what could end up being the franchise’s
>>> biggest season ever.
>>>
>>> Source:
>>> https://ew.com/survivor-50-jeff-probst-all-returning-players-8640105
>>>

>> Maybe the simplest approach would be to simply have the fans vote for the
>> players they most want to see return and take the highest 18 or 20
>> vote-getters. Put no restrictions on it - players who won, players who
>> won twice, runners-up, first boots, new era, old era, anything you want.
>> Might be the simplest, cleanest approach.
>
>Here's an IG post from Jeff. There's no question in my mind that a vote
>will be involved. It'll probably be like the last one where the show will
>give us say 40 people to choose from and we get to vote for a certain

In a way I wish they had saved Winners at War for season 50, but I guess
when 40 was approaching no one really knew how long the show would last and
50 really seemed a long way away.

Nowadays it seems the show will just go on forever or at least until Jeff
keels over (and maybe even past then). It's certainly cheaper to produce
that a prime-time series where you have to pay for actors and writers and
special-effects, etc. Here you just need some people, an island setting, a
few challenges and not much else. It's also worth noting that the show has
kept its award structure basically the same, even though $1 million is worth
a lot less than it was almost 25 years ago. I guess technically they play
fewer days now, so in that sense the value has gone up, but it's still not
as impactful as it used to be. Regardless, for many people (most people?)
$1 million is still a kind of magical number and well worth playing for. Of
course Jeff's salary has gone up many times since the show started, and
maybe the correct answer is that Jeff is really the one whose net worth has
gone up the most as a result of the show.

No doubt Survivor continues to be an automatic money-maker for the network,
and as long as the ratings stay decent, it may outlive all of us.

--

Re: Survivor host Jeff Probst says season 50 will be all returning players

<v0m8lt$17mfe$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/arts/article-flat.php?id=1693&group=alt.tv.survivor#1693

From: dcg_brian@hotmail.com (Brian Smith)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
players
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 13:39:37 -0600
 by: Brian Smith - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 19:39 UTC

On 4/28/2024 8:53 AM, Rick wrote:
> "Brian Smith"  wrote in message news:v0kijb$rlal$1@dont-email.me...

>>> Maybe the simplest approach would be to simply have the fans vote for
>>> the players they most want to see return and take the highest 18 or
>>> 20 vote-getters.   Put no restrictions on it -  players who won,
>>> players who won twice, runners-up, first boots, new era, old era,
>>> anything you want. Might be the simplest, cleanest approach.
>>
>> Here's an IG post from Jeff. There's no question in my mind that a
>> vote will be involved. It'll probably be like the last one where the
>> show will give us say 40 people to choose from and we get to vote for
>> a certain number and they'll choose some.
>>
>> https://www.instagram.com/p/C6SheDqLLVy/
>>

> In a way I wish they had saved Winners at War for season 50, but I guess
> when 40 was approaching no one really knew how long the show would last
> and 50 really seemed a long way away.

I'm glad they didn't. We would have missed out on seeing some past
winners play again.

> Nowadays it seems the show will just go on forever or at least until
> Jeff keels over (and maybe even past then).   It's certainly cheaper to
> produce that a prime-time series where you have to pay for actors and
> writers and special-effects, etc.  Here you just need some people, an
> island setting, a few challenges and not much else.  It's also worth
> noting that the show has kept its award structure basically the same,
> even though $1 million is worth a lot less than it was almost 25 years
> ago.  I guess technically they play fewer days now, so in that sense the
> value has gone up, but it's still not as impactful as it used to be.
> Regardless, for many people (most people?) $1 million is still a kind of
> magical number and well worth playing for.  Of course Jeff's salary has
> gone up many times since the show started, and maybe the correct answer
> is that Jeff is really the one whose net worth has gone up the most as a
> result of the show.

Didn't Jeff comment in a TC earlier this season that he would be there
forever? The only thing I see as a threat in the near future is if
Paramount Global gets bought and Survivor becomes a victim of cost
cutting and/or too much interference from the new executives.

When BB started their New Era under the 50% rule, they upped the prize
money by 50%. There were a few "shorter" seasons thanks to COVID-19 but
the strikes resulted in a 100 day long season. So compared to BB, $1
million for 26 days sounds good.

Do you think Jeff has ever negotiated to get a cut of the action from
SEG? He is basically running everything. When was the last time you
heard from MB concerning the show?

> No doubt Survivor continues to be an automatic money-maker for the
> network, and as long as the ratings stay decent, it may outlive all of us.

It probably will. Jeff's ultimate dream is probably for the show to last
long enough so the kids of past players can play. We could have Rob and
Amber's girls and Kim's kids just about form a tribe on their own.

--
Brian

Re: Survivor host Jeff Probst says season 50 will be all returning players

<v0mcuq$18kcq$1@dont-email.me>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/arts/article-flat.php?id=1695&group=alt.tv.survivor#1695

From: rick@nospam.com (Rick)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 16:52:41 -0400
 by: Rick - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 20:52 UTC

"Brian Smith" wrote in message news:v0m8lt$17mfe$1@dont-email.me...

>On 4/28/2024 8:53 AM, Rick wrote:

>>> Here's an IG post from Jeff. There's no question in my mind that a vote
>>> will be involved. It'll probably be like the last one where the show
>>> will give us say 40 people to choose from and we get to vote for a
>>> certain number and they'll choose some.
>>>
>>> https://www.instagram.com/p/C6SheDqLLVy/
>>>

>> In a way I wish they had saved Winners at War for season 50, but I guess
>> when 40 was approaching no one really knew how long the show would last
>> and 50 really seemed a long way away.
>
>I'm glad they didn't. We would have missed out on seeing some past winners
>play again.
>
>> Nowadays it seems the show will just go on forever or at least until Jeff
>> keels over (and maybe even past then). It's certainly cheaper to
>> produce that a prime-time series where you have to pay for actors and
>> writers and special-effects, etc. Here you just need some people, an
>> island setting, a few challenges and not much else. It's also worth
>> noting that the show has kept its award structure basically the same,
>> even though $1 million is worth a lot less than it was almost 25 years
>> ago. I guess technically they play fewer days now, so in that sense the
>> value has gone up, but it's still not as impactful as it used to be.
>> Regardless, for many people (most people?) $1 million is still a kind of
>> magical number and well worth playing for. Of course Jeff's salary has
>> gone up many times since the show started, and maybe the correct answer
>> is that Jeff is really the one whose net worth has gone up the most as a
>> result of the show.
>
>Didn't Jeff comment in a TC earlier this season that he would be there
>forever? The only thing I see as a threat in the near future is if
>Paramount Global gets bought and Survivor becomes a victim of cost cutting
>and/or too much interference from the new executives.
>
>When BB started their New Era under the 50% rule, they upped the prize
>money by 50%. There were a few "shorter" seasons thanks to COVID-19 but the
>strikes resulted in a 100 day long season. So compared to BB, $1 million
>for 26 days sounds good.
>
>Do you think Jeff has ever negotiated to get a cut of the action from SEG?
>He is basically running everything. When was the last time you heard from
>MB concerning the show?
>
>> No doubt Survivor continues to be an automatic money-maker for the
>> network, and as long as the ratings stay decent, it may outlive all of
>> us.
>
>It probably will. Jeff's ultimate dream is probably for the show to last
>long enough so the kids of past players can play. We could have Rob and
>Amber's girls and Kim's kids just about form a tribe on their own.

Yup. It's probably already on the drawing board for Survivor 75. Survivor:
the Next Generation.

--

Re: Survivor host Jeff Probst says season 50 will be all returning players

<n9kt2jl3ecdc7qtelpeeen5racvus8d1mr@4ax.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/arts/article-flat.php?id=1696&group=alt.tv.survivor#1696

From: nanoflower@notforg.m.a.i.l.com (shawn)
Newsgroups: alt.tv.survivor
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2024 18:45:01 -0400
 by: shawn - Sun, 28 Apr 2024 22:45 UTC

On Sun, 28 Apr 2024 16:52:41 -0400, "Rick" <rick@nospam.com> wrote:

>"Brian Smith" wrote in message news:v0m8lt$17mfe$1@dont-email.me...

>>> In a way I wish they had saved Winners at War for season 50, but I guess
>>> when 40 was approaching no one really knew how long the show would last
>>> and 50 really seemed a long way away.
>>
>>I'm glad they didn't. We would have missed out on seeing some past winners
>>play again.
>>
>>> Nowadays it seems the show will just go on forever or at least until Jeff
>>> keels over (and maybe even past then). It's certainly cheaper to
>>> produce that a prime-time series where you have to pay for actors and
>>> writers and special-effects, etc. Here you just need some people, an
>>> island setting, a few challenges and not much else. It's also worth
>>> noting that the show has kept its award structure basically the same,
>>> even though $1 million is worth a lot less than it was almost 25 years
>>> ago. I guess technically they play fewer days now, so in that sense the
>>> value has gone up, but it's still not as impactful as it used to be.
>>> Regardless, for many people (most people?) $1 million is still a kind of
>>> magical number and well worth playing for. Of course Jeff's salary has
>>> gone up many times since the show started, and maybe the correct answer
>>> is that Jeff is really the one whose net worth has gone up the most as a
>>> result of the show.
>>
>>Didn't Jeff comment in a TC earlier this season that he would be there
>>forever? The only thing I see as a threat in the near future is if
>>Paramount Global gets bought and Survivor becomes a victim of cost cutting
>>and/or too much interference from the new executives.
>>
>>When BB started their New Era under the 50% rule, they upped the prize
>>money by 50%. There were a few "shorter" seasons thanks to COVID-19 but the
>>strikes resulted in a 100 day long season. So compared to BB, $1 million
>>for 26 days sounds good.
>>
>>Do you think Jeff has ever negotiated to get a cut of the action from SEG?
>>He is basically running everything. When was the last time you heard from
>>MB concerning the show?
>>
>>> No doubt Survivor continues to be an automatic money-maker for the
>>> network, and as long as the ratings stay decent, it may outlive all of
>>> us.
>>
>>It probably will. Jeff's ultimate dream is probably for the show to last
>>long enough so the kids of past players can play. We could have Rob and
>>Amber's girls and Kim's kids just about form a tribe on their own.
>>

>Yup. It's probably already on the drawing board for Survivor 75. Survivor:
>the Next Generation.

With Robo Jeff Probst doing all of the hosting for the show.
Programmed with Jeff's personality.

arts / alt.tv.survivor / Survivor host Jeff Probst says season 50 will be all returning players