Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 10:45:45 -0700
Newsgroups: rec.music.gdead
From: plutedpup@outlook.com (Pluted Pup)
Subject: The Worst "Dark Star" is Grayfolded
 by: Pluted Pup - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 17:45 UTC

I've been told that the 2 CD set Grayfolded is "Dark Stars strung
together" but it isn't, it's a bunch of butchered excerpts in a
careless random collage that has no musical flow, unlike a real Dark
Star, it even edits in vocal repeats with abrasive results. That was
my impression. The best part is on the second CD where an actual
Dark Star is allowed to flow for 15 minutes, but the full Dark Star
it's taken from would be perhaps better than just a lengthy excerpt.

Has there been strung together and/or edited lengthy Dark Star
compilations that have a musical flow and are not mockeries like
Grayfolded?

Re: The Worst "Dark Star" is Grayfolded

<73153027-07e1-4c37-a742-6a29ea9420acn@googlegroups.com>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/arts/article-flat.php?id=1576&group=rec.music.gdead#1576

Newsgroups: rec.music.gdead
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2022 11:05:21 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: Re: The Worst "Dark Star" is Grayfolded
From: rld.wolfish@gmail.com (Rick Wolfish)
 by: Rick Wolfish - Tue, 16 Aug 2022 18:05 UTC

On Tuesday, August 16, 2022 at 1:45:51 PM UTC-4, Pluted Pup wrote:
> I've been told that the 2 CD set Grayfolded is "Dark Stars strung
> together" but it isn't, it's a bunch of butchered excerpts in a
> careless random collage that has no musical flow, unlike a real Dark
> Star, it even edits in vocal repeats with abrasive results. That was
> my impression. The best part is on the second CD where an actual
> Dark Star is allowed to flow for 15 minutes, but the full Dark Star
> it's taken from would be perhaps better than just a lengthy excerpt.
>
> Has there been strung together and/or edited lengthy Dark Star
> compilations that have a musical flow and are not mockeries like
> Grayfolded?
This does not answer your question but many years ago when I was in college in SF a friend asked me to make a cassette tape of lots of versions of Eyes Of The World, his favorite song. If I say so myself it was pretty cool.

Re: The Worst "Dark Star" is Grayfolded

<XnsAEF648660FFE1tedrogerscom@185.151.13.245>

  copy mid

http://rslight.i2p/arts/article-flat.php?id=1577&group=rec.music.gdead#1577

Newsgroups: rec.music.gdead
From: ABCD@EFG.COM
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2022 11:07:01 +0000
 by: ABCD@EFG.COM - Wed, 17 Aug 2022 11:07 UTC

Rick Wolfish <rld.wolfish@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Tuesday, August 16, 2022 at 1:45:51 PM UTC-4, Pluted Pup
> wrote:
>> I've been told that the 2 CD set Grayfolded is "Dark Stars
>> strung together" but it isn't, it's a bunch of butchered
>> excerpts in a careless random collage that has no musical
>> flow, unlike a real Dark Star, it even edits in vocal
>> repeats with abrasive results. That was my impression. The
>> best part is on the second CD where an actual Dark Star is
>> allowed to flow for 15 minutes, but the full Dark Star
>> it's taken from would be perhaps better than just a
>> lengthy excerpt.
>>
>> Has there been strung together and/or edited lengthy Dark
>> Star compilations that have a musical flow and are not
>> mockeries like Grayfolded?
> This does not answer your question but many years ago when
> I was in college in SF a friend asked me to make a cassette
> tape of lots of versions of Eyes Of The World, his
> favorite song. If I say so myself it was pretty cool.

https://archive.org/details/gd1977-12-31_505

"Tuning '77" - a seamless audio supercut of an entire year of
the Grateful Dead tuning their instruments, live on stage.
publicly available recording from 1977, examining the divide
between audience expectation and performance anxiety.

Source: all 1977 recordings from archive.org's collection, as of
12/05/2012.

arts / rec.music.gdead / The Worst "Dark Star" is Grayfolded